Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th December 2016, 16:00   #41721  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
PC mode turns off all image processing options on my TV. I think it shows the RGB signal without re-processing it. Is there any way to know?
You may find that in PC mode you are stuck with 60hz, and in any other refresh rate (like 23/24hz), the TV comes out of PC mode. It's really easy to get lost in the pursuit of absolute perfection though. What is subjective, what is objective, and what is plain placebo will always be up for debate, especially in this thread. Just try to spend some time actually enjoying some movies ��
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 16:13   #41722  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
You may find that in PC mode you are stuck with 60hz, and in any other refresh rate (like 23/24hz), the TV comes out of PC mode. It's really easy to get lost in the pursuit of absolute perfection though. What is subjective, what is objective, and what is plain placebo will always be up for debate, especially in this thread. Just try to spend some time actually enjoying some movies ��
With PC mode let me select several refresh types in RGB or yCbCr444.

I just want to know how to configure the HDMI options on the NV card. RGB or yCbCr444... I want to know which one is right.

Last edited by Oguignant; 24th December 2016 at 16:18.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 16:23   #41723  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
With PC mode let me select several refresh types in RGB or yCbCr444.

I just want to know how to configure the HDMI options on the NV card. RGB or yCbCr444... I want to know which one is right.
Easy - RGB. And of course you can choose any supported refresh rate while in PC mode. The way to test it is put the TV in 60hz PC mode. Then in NV panel change to 23hz. Go into the TV settings and see if the stuff that gets greyed out in PC mode is now selectable.
Old 24th December 2016, 16:25   #41724  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance ... you say my tv screen is not rgb?
OLED is WRGB.

you can't display an RGB image without processing on an LG OLED it is impossible.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 16:30   #41725  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
OLED is WRGB.

you can't display an RGB image without processing on an LG OLED it is impossible.
65ef9500 is RGBA...
Old 24th December 2016, 16:35   #41726  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Easy - RGB. And of course you can choose any supported refresh rate while in PC mode. The way to test it is put the TV in 60hz PC mode. Then in NV panel change to 23hz. Go into the TV settings and see if the stuff that gets greyed out in PC mode is now selectable.
23, 24, 25, 29mhz..etc The options are the same as in 60mhz.
Old 24th December 2016, 16:36   #41727  |  Link
huhn

it is WRGB RGBW or what ever you like more. that'S how LG oled work they have 4 sub pixel not 3 and one of them is white.

RGBA is RGB ALPHA. i'm pretty sure there is no screen with an alpha channel on the panel.
Old 24th December 2016, 16:40   #41728  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
it is WRGB RGBW or what ever you like more. that'S how LG oled work they have 4 sub pixel not 3 and one of them is white.

RGBA is RGB ALPHA. i'm pretty sure there is no screen with an alpha channel on the panel.

In this review I read that it is RGBA ... http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/ef9500
Old 24th December 2016, 16:48   #41729  |  Link
huhn

it is WRGB.
http://www.displayspecifications.com...rison/dfce482b
Old 24th December 2016, 16:55   #41730  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Yes, thks Rgbw .... whatever, the movies look amazing on this tv ...

Last edited by Oguignant; 24th December 2016 at 16:59.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 17:30   #41731  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
23, 24, 25, 29mhz..etc The options are the same as in 60mhz.
What about scaling options? On my LG, when in PC mode, all scaling functions are disabled. Zoom functions are only selectable when not in PC mode. I'm going to guess though that whether in PC mode or not, its converting to YCbCr. Just set NV panel to RGB full and on your TV set black level to high. And then forget about it. At the end of the day, like you say, oleds look amazing. I should be so lucky (wife says no) :-)

Last edited by iSeries; 24th December 2016 at 17:43.
Old 24th December 2016, 21:02   #41732  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
What about scaling options? On my LG, when in PC mode, all scaling functions are disabled. Zoom functions are only selectable when not in PC mode. I'm going to guess though that whether in PC mode or not, its converting to YCbCr. Just set NV panel to RGB full and on your TV set black level to high. And then forget about it. At the end of the day, like you say, oleds look amazing. I should be so lucky (wife says no) :-)
In this Tv, when PC mode is On, super resolution is enabled. I use it as Low.
Old 25th December 2016, 11:00   #41733  |  Link
Knight77

Hello, this is a bit off-topic but I'm really willing to know what's the right setting and by the way it's Christmas so everyone is better and nicer and I'm sure you won't mind the question

My Nvidia panel is set RGB Full, Lav Filters with PC output 0-255 and TV supports 4:4:4

I've got a XD93 4K HDR TV, in the picture settings I have two voices:

X-tended Dynamic Range (can be set: off/Low/Medium/High)
and
Colour Space (can be set to: Auto/sRGB-BT.709/DCI/BT2020)

What's the best setting? About colour space I'm knee to keep it Auto but now XDR is set to off...

Any indication is appreciated !

Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS !
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 11:23   #41734  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
Hello, this is a bit off-topic but I'm really willing to know what's the right setting and by the way it's Christmas so everyone is better and nicer and I'm sure you won't mind the question

My Nvidia panel is set RGB Full, Lav Filters with PC output 0-255 and TV supports 4:4:4

I've got a XD93 4K HDR TV, in the picture settings I have two voices:

X-tended Dynamic Range (can be set: off/Low/Medium/High)
and
Colour Space (can be set to: Auto/sRGB-BT.709/DCI/BT2020)

What's the best setting? About colour space I'm knee to keep it Auto but now XDR is set to off...

Any indication is appreciated !

Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS !
Merry Crhistmas too!!!

X-tended Dynamic Range PRO increases the quality of HDR and even non-HDR content by revitalizing every scene with the widest range of brightness possible. It goes in tastes. I prefer not to use any image processing on the TV, it always makes it look artificial.

As for Color Space, you can leave it in Auto if it works correctly. If you use bt-2020 or DCI with encoded content for view bt-709 content, you will see some saturated colors.

The new video standard for Ultra High Definition content is BT.2020 (colors closer to reality)
The BT-2020 color standard lets you display about 3/4 of the visible color spectrum. The video standard for HD content (BT-709 Standard) only reproduces 30% of the spectrum reproduced by the new standard for 4k/UHD BT-2020.

DCI is the one that will be implemented the soonest, and it represents the basic color requirement of the HDR spec. To meet the minimum HDR requirements, a TV must be able to display over 90% of the DCI color space.

The main difference between DCI and bt-709 (the current standard color space) is that DCI can display many more tones of green, though there is also a slight expansion to the number of red tones. The number of blue tones was unchanged. Altogether, it covers just over half of the visual spectrum, and will provide a pretty significant increase in picture quality over bt-709, which covers only about 35% of the visual spectrum.

Hope this can help you!
Old 25th December 2016, 12:25   #41735  |  Link
Knight77

Quote:
Merry Crhistmas too!!!

X-tended Dynamic Range PRO increases the quality of HDR and even non-HDR content by revitalizing every scene with the widest range of brightness possible. It goes in tastes. I prefer not to use any image processing on the TV, it always makes it look artificial.

As for Color Space, you can leave it in Auto if it works correctly. If you use bt-2020 or DCI with encoded content for view bt-709 content, you will see some saturated colors.

The new video standard for Ultra High Definition content is BT.2020 (colors closer to reality)
The BT-2020 color standard lets you display about 3/4 of the visible color spectrum. The video standard for HD content (BT-709 Standard) only reproduces 30% of the spectrum reproduced by the new standard for 4k/UHD BT-2020.

DCI is the one that will be implemented the soonest, and it represents the basic color requirement of the HDR spec. To meet the minimum HDR requirements, a TV must be able to display over 90% of the DCI color space.

The main difference between DCI and bt-709 (the current standard color space) is that DCI can display many more tones of green, though there is also a slight expansion to the number of red tones. The number of blue tones was unchanged. Altogether, it covers just over half of the visual spectrum, and will provide a pretty significant increase in picture quality over bt-709, which covers only about 35% of the visual spectrum.

Hope this can help you!
Thank you very much!

Well I guess I'll leave XDR on Off and Colour Space on Auto.

I read everywhere (AVSForum+AVforums) that with the current content is better to leave XDR off but well I wanted to be sure, anyway I also prefer to do not use much processing.

About the Colour Space I got that BT2020 will be used mainly with UDH content...bTW with the normal 1080p Serials and movies I guess we're still with REC709, what about the UHD content "coming" for Nextfilx and Amazon ?

Thank you again!
Knight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 12:57   #41736  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
Thank you very much!

Well I guess I'll leave XDR on Off and Colour Space on Auto.

I read everywhere (AVSForum+AVforums) that with the current content is better to leave XDR off but well I wanted to be sure, anyway I also prefer to do not use much processing.

About the Colour Space I got that BT2020 will be used mainly with UDH content...bTW with the normal 1080p Serials and movies I guess we're still with REC709, what about the UHD content "coming" for Nextfilx and Amazon ?

Thank you again!
I prefer to see the image with real colors without any processing. But there are people who like to adorn it with the processing of the TV. Not to me, that's why I switched my Sony TV for an oled Tv. They are personal tastes.

Netflix just started uploading HDR content. You need a very good internet connection, at least 25 mbps. There you also have to use color space Auto. My TV detects HDR content and automatically activates it, I do not know how it is on your Sony TV.
Old 25th December 2016, 16:18   #41737  |  Link
Oguignant

Matrix and primaries

Hi. Can someone explain to me what happens when the MATRIX is BT.709 and the primaries are bt.2020? What is the difference between matrix and primaries?
Old 25th December 2016, 18:15   #41738  |  Link
e-t172

The matrix determines the formula (more specifically, the coefficients) that is used to convert from YCbCr to RGB and vice-versa.

The primaries determines what R, G, and B correspond to in actual color, as in, they are the coordinates of pure red, green, and blue (usually specified in the XYZ color space). For example, a BT.2020 R=0% G=100% B=0% color will be "greener" (more saturated) than the same color in DCI-P3, which will itself be more saturated than the same color in BT.709 (or sRGB, which is identical in that aspect).

These two concepts are completely independent - there's nothing stopping you from playing a video file using a BT.601 matrix and SMPTE-C primaries, for example. Of course, you need to match the parameters that the video was produced with (usually specified in the metadata of the video file), otherwise the colours will look wrong.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 19:59   #41739  |  Link
fedpul

Hi, I know this is offtopic but I got a 4K TV a few days ago and I cannot calibrate it using AVS HD 709 patterns, so I am gonna buy a colorimeter soon. And I would like to learn everything I could about display calibration. Could anyone provide me some links to start with the basics. I also would like to know if it is worth creating a 3dLUT for madVR if you already have the TV well calibrated by BT.709 standard. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by fedpul; 25th December 2016 at 20:01.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 20:56   #41740  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling