Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st November 2009, 20:27   #1  |  Link
tawraste

strange audio sync problem

hi everyone,
i hope someone can help me, i am utterly stumped on this one. up to now i have been encoding my avi files using autogk with VBR on the audio. i am 99% sure that this is the reason that my standalone player (mvix780hd) has drifing audio sync problems on a small number of files.

so, i decided to change over and try out CBR for the audio.
first thing i noticed was the resultant avi file was out of sync by several seconds. no problem says i, i simply shifted the audio track to the correct position. excellent.
the avi file now plays perfectly in real player and media player.

so i then transferred the file to the player, and its way out of sync. so i transferred the file back to the pc and its in sync.

this leads me to think the problem is at the pc end. a little trawling on google threw up avidemux, so i loaded the file and its out of sync.

so, on my pc, i can load the file in real player and its in sync. i then load it in avidemux and its out of sync.

any ideas? it must be obvious, but i think i can;t see the wood for the trees!
tawraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 22:49   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

1) What is the title and region of the (presumably) DVD that has resulted in this problematic .AVI?

2) What software and procedures did you use to rip the DVD?

3) Please load the problematic .AVI into GSpot and post a screen capture back here...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 04:19   #3  |  Link
manono

Maybe your player doesn't honor the delays you set. Maybe it would be better to remove them entirely. If for DVD audio, DelayCut can do it. If for MP3, then HeadAc3he can do it without reencoding.

Since I don't use AviDemux I wouldn't know why it would be in synch when using players but out of synch in AviDemux.
Quote:
i simply shifted the audio track to the correct position.
Unless perhaps there's something screwy here. How did you shift the audio?
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 06:04   #4  |  Link
tawraste

the title is sexy beast, region is GB.
the procedure was to use ripit4me and dvddecrypter to get the dvd files.
then autogk set for dixv, with cbr mp3 audio at 128kpbs, quality at 65% (i think, could be 60%)
the audio was shifted using a free tool called YAAI_2.0.3.488.
here's the gspot log:

the free software could be it, but the resultant rip was out of sync after finishing encoding hence the requirement of such software.
thanks for your help folks.
Old 2nd November 2009, 08:17   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

Looks like your difficulty may be the result of using "packed bitstream". Read the following:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...122#post757122
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 10:19   #6  |  Link
manono

Apparently you decrypted the entire DVD to the hard drive (?) rather than just the movie alone. Try again, this time with DVD Decrypter set for IFO Mode, rather than the default File Mode.
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:43   #7  |  Link
tawraste

I definately set ripit4me to rip the movie only, but i will check again. Is this how the packed bitstream is introduced? I was going to also try a rip to xvid with cbr to see if theres any difference, but i think i need to know where the packed bitstream comes from first.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:26   #8  |  Link
manono

OK, but you were unclear exactly what you meant by "to get the DVD files". I don't know that using packed bitsream could cause the problem you're experiencing, but I suppose it's possible.

You said you're experiencing the problem only with some movies, but it seems to me that if your player didn't like packed bitatream, you'd have the problem with all of them. Me, I'd be more likely to blame whatever you're using to fix the delay. Why not do it like 'normal' people and use the VDubMod already included with AutoGK? Here are some instructions:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic371138.html#2017964
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:41   #9  |  Link
tawraste

cheers mate, i apologise for being unclear !
this has only happened to two movies, and the only thing i changed was encoding to divx CBR instead of xvid VBR.

if i had ripped the whole movie this may also have been the cause.

whether or not its down to either of these things i don't know, just as i can;t be sure yet if it is down to the bitstream thing.

i've re-encoded using xvid vbr and the file is now fine.
i do want to get the cbr working though, so i shall just try various combinations.

if anyone thinks of anything that may cause this sort of thing i'd be very grateful. i'm also interested to know what details in the gspot scan indicate the packed bitstream.

thanks for all your help so far.
Old 4th November 2009, 10:29   #10  |  Link
tawraste

hi folks,
well, i took a 26minute program on dvd, ripped it with dvd decrypter and then set about making the following rips:
divx cbr
divx vbr
xvid cbr
xvid vbr

curiously, all of them are in sync on the pc and on the player. i therefore conclude that you were indeed correct monono and i must have ripped the entire dvd and not just the movie.
obviously i am going to have to re-encode the film i had problems with to draw concrete conclusions, but thats gonna have to wait until i have more time on my hands !
i shall also do trial ripping the dvd contents as well as just the movie to see if i can replicate my previous result.

this did get me much more interested in details though, and i noticed that on the codec setup for xvid i can tick a box for packed bitstream, and this has always been off. on the divx setup tab i could not find an equivalent tick box.
the divx encodes, whether vbr or cbr always show a packed bitstream in gspot, and the xvid ones obviously do not.

so is divx packed bitstream by default?

i also looked at the dvdfab / fixvts combo suggested in the link you provided. i like it and i shall be using it. cheers !

thanks for helping me out here, i do appreciate it. if you think i ought to begin learning another aspect of these processes please feel free to advise!
Old 18th November 2009, 16:20   #11  |  Link
tawraste

update

well, since i've been using dvdfab and fixvts to rip the dvds onto the hard drive, i have had NO problems with audio/video sync.
in fact, i've had no issues at all.
i have been looking at the files i have converted in the past, and many of them are in fact "packed bitstream" but have and continue to play absolutely fine.

so, i would like to say a big thank you for all your advice. and thanks especially for putting me onto dvdfab and fixvts.

keep up the good work guys, you've certaintly helped me.