Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 20th September 2015, 10:26   #4701  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
It'll just take little while to get used to the "load defaults" function not loading the defaults in scratchpad as it did. I don't think that's a big deal either way. Maybe it'll be better as it is once I'm used to it.....
"Load defaults" for me is another word for "reset [current preset]". It was strange that it switched before to the scratchpad one and has reset there everything to default. I think only x264 has currently in the specific settings a "reset" button - which likely should be removed now.
Btw... in MeGUI the words profile and presets are several times mixed up. I am not sure myself where the difference should be (profile e.g. = x264, preset = x264 specific profile configuration?) so maybe it makes sense to rename everything - to profile?
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 10:27   #4702  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
I said it already, avi. All I know I clicked on file indexer, that's all I ever used. Sorry I don't understand the specifics of MeGUI very much, I learned one way to encode video years ago and just do that without really caring what it actually does.
As a starting point please create the index again (so the step which takes so long time) and then please upload the MeGUI log e.g. to pastebin.com. You can find the log in the MeGUI\Log folder (please close MeGUI before you export the log so that it is written in the correct way).
Old 20th September 2015, 10:41   #4703  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Since encoders use presets to set a whole group of parameters at once, I believe you should avoid "preset" in MeGUI where possible. The set of parameters per encoder managed by MeGUI may possibly be best called "templates", I believe?!

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 11:26   #4704  |  Link
Octo-puss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
This is no satisfying amount of information. Never trust in a filename extension, there is always a chance that it has been renamed for the craziest reasons (e.g. people don't know how to assign a media player to an unassigned but correct extension so that it will start playing after a double-click in the Explorer).

To help us helping you, do an analysis of this source file using MediaInfo, and post the result in "Text" format in a CODE block (or in a pastebin service).

If you are sure that it is an AVI because you made it, you may also know which codec was used; 115 GB is really huge, so it possibly contains completely uncompressed video. It would be a pity to have uncompressed RGB video saved, what a waste of space, and furthermore it is not the optimal color space as source for modern video codecs. This would also explain why the Indexer takes aged to build an index: It will write keyframe data for really every frame, because completely uncompressed video consists of keyframes everywhere. Such a video is hard to handle by L-SMASH Source. In this case only, AviSource is to be preferred.
I think it IS uncompressed, or barely compressed. It's a game footage captured with MSI Afterburner, using some lossless codec.
That doesn't seem to be the problem though - the problem is MeGUI using the same physical disk for processing the file, resulting in extreme slowdowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
As a starting point please create the index again (so the step which takes so long time) and then please upload the MeGUI log e.g. to pastebin.com. You can find the log in the MeGUI\Log folder (please close MeGUI before you export the log so that it is written in the correct way).
The file is gone, but I think I found the log. http://www.mediafire.com/download/lm...9_17-09-53.log
Octo-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 19:33   #4705  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
I said it already, avi. All I know I clicked on file indexer, that's all I ever used. Sorry I don't understand the specifics of MeGUI very much, I learned one way to encode video years ago and just do that without really caring what it actually does.
Given it's an AVI containing lossless video, you could try opening the Script Creater from the Tools menu and selecting the AVI as the input video. When MeGUI asks how you want to open it, select AviSource. No indexing required.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 19:52   #4706  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
"Load defaults" for me is another word for "reset [current preset]". It was strange that it switched before to the scratchpad one and has reset there everything to default. I think only x264 has currently in the specific settings a "reset" button - which likely should be removed now.
Loading the defaults in scratchpad makes sense to me as if you have a saved encoder preset and load the defaults, the new settings are no longer those of the selected preset. Not that it matters.... either way it's not hard to work out how it works.

I've often longed for a "scratchpad" button next to "ok" and "cancel". That way you could change a preset and hit the "scratchpad" button to load the new settings in scratchpad while closing the encoder configuration, without MeGUI having to offer a dialogue box asking you what you want to do.

All the video/audio encoders have a "load defaults" button, if that's what you mean by a "reset" button. As do the OneClick and AVS profiles etc. I definitely wouldn't remove them. They're kind of like a sanity check button.

Quote:
Btw... in MeGUI the words profile and presets are several times mixed up. I am not sure myself where the difference should be (profile e.g. = x264, preset = x264 specific profile configuration?) so maybe it makes sense to rename everything - to profile?
That's probably a good idea. Off the top of my head though everything has profiles, except the encoders which have presets, so it's kind of logical, but I don't know why they all couldn't be called one or the other.
Old 21st September 2015, 20:41   #4707  |  Link
hello_hello

Every so often, for reasons unexplained, it seems Avisynth doesn't load a plugin from it's auto-load directory when MeGUI opens a script (I have MeGUI set to use the "installed" Avisynth 2.6.0.6). When it happens, the problem is 100% repeatable until I restart MeGUI, then the problem goes away. Any script in the queue requiring the plugin in question will fail to encode. In the mean time, I can open the same scripts with MPC-HC without issue.

It only happens now and then, and usually loading a script while another one is being encoded seems to be where the problem starts, but would it be fair to assume this will remain one of life's unexplained mysteries?

I was having trouble making sense of the log file because my attempts at loading scripts seemed to be mixed up with the jobs that were running, but below is the error for a job in the queue that failed to run.

Quote:
-[Error] Log for job93 (video, Ep1x07.mkv.avs -> Ep1x07.mkv.mkv)
--[Information] [22/09/15 3:15:19 AM] Started handling job
--[Information] [22/09/15 3:15:19 AM] Preprocessing
--[Information] [22/09/15 3:15:19 AM] Avisynth input script
---[NoImage] LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\ffms\ffms2.dll")
---[NoImage] FFVideoSource("E:\Extras\Ep1x07.mkv", cachefile="D:\Ep1x07.mkv.ffindex", fpsnum=24000, fpsden=1001, threads=1)
---[NoImage] QTGMC(InputType=1)
---[NoImage] crop(2, 0, -2, 0)
---[NoImage] Spline36Resize(832,468)
---[NoImage] gradfun3()
--[Error] [22/09/15 3:15:20 AM] Error starting job
---[Error] [22/09/15 3:15:20 AM] Exception message
----[NoImage] Calling setup of processor failed with error 'The file D:\Ep1x07.mkv.avs cannot be opened.
----[NoImage] Error message for your reference: Script error: there is no function named "MSuper"
----[NoImage] (QTGMC 3.33s (mod).avsi, line 436)
----[NoImage] (D:\Ep1x07.mkv.avs, line 4)'
---[Error] [22/09/15 3:15:20 AM] Stacktrace: at MeGUI.core.gui.JobWorker.startEncoding(TaggedJob job)
---[Error] [22/09/15 3:15:20 AM] Inner exception: null
Old 21st September 2015, 20:43   #4708  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
If you have a OneClick profile where video encoding is disabled, when you select it, under the Advanced config tab the "display aspect ratio" option becomes greyed out. After changing back to a OneClick profile where video re-encoding is enabled though, the "display aspect ratio" option remains greyed out until you close the OneClick encoder and re-open it.
I want to fix this but cannot reproduce it. I have two profiles with enabled/disabled video and switching between them enabled/disables that AR option as it should be. Any hints what I do wrong?

Quote:
All the video/audio encoders have a "load defaults" button, if that's what you mean by a "reset" button. As do the OneClick and AVS profiles etc. I definitely wouldn't remove them. They're kind of like a sanity check button
No, I meant the "Default Settings" button in the x264 profile in the "Misc" tab. This one is now obsolete.

EDIT:
Quote:
It only happens now and then, and usually loading a script while another one is being encoded seems to be where the problem starts, but would it be fair to assume this will remain one of life's unexplained mysteries?
How much memory is consumed by MeGUI at that moment?

Last edited by Zathor; 21st September 2015 at 20:52.
Old 21st September 2015, 21:01   #4709  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
I want to fix this but cannot reproduce it. I have two profiles with enabled/disabled video and switching between them enabled/disables that AR option as it should be. Any hints what I do wrong?
Sorry, because no, it doesn't seem to work for me that way. I don't know if I'm doing something odd.

Profile with video encoding disabled:

Profile with video encoding enabled. Manually enabling it without changing profiles still results in a greyed out drop down aspect ratio arrow. Opening a video gets the correct aspect ratio to display, but the drop down arrow is still disabled:

After restarting the OneClick encoder. No settings changed in between:

I rarely use the OneClick encoder, but it was something I noticed.

Quote:
No, I meant the "Default Settings" button in the x264 profile in the "Misc" tab. This one is now obsolete.
Ahhhhh..... the button to reload the preset's settings doesn't work any more either. I'd forgotten about those two.
Old 21st September 2015, 21:05   #4710  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
How much memory is consumed by MeGUI at that moment?
At the moment: 3,384K (it's running an encode)

When it happened, I don't know as I didn't look before restarting MeGUI. I shall next time. I'm still running XP so maybe it is just a memory issue.
Old 21st September 2015, 23:00   #4711  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Sorry, because no, it doesn't seem to work for me that way. I don't know if I'm doing something odd.
Still works for me as expected. Maybe related to XP?

Quote:
Ahhhhh..... the button to reload the preset's settings doesn't work any more either. I'd forgotten about those two.
Sorry, this button also works for me
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:35   #4712  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Still works for me as expected. Maybe related to XP?
I guess anything's possible......

Quote:
Sorry, this button also works for me
I had another play and it's kind of working for me.
I previously tested it by selecting a preset, loading the default x264 settings, then using the "preset settings" button. I think now because the defaults are loaded in the current preset, if they're loaded first they become the preset settings so the preset settings button appears not to work.
Also for me, no changes under the Misc tab seem to be altered when using the "preset settings" button. I can't remember if that's always been the case, but it probably shouldn't be. The Misc settings should be reverted too.

Edit: A bit more testing seems to indicate the "preset settings" button is more hit and miss than I thought. None of the settings under the Main tab seem to be effected by it. It reverts any changes to the deblock settings and number of B frames but the B Frame bias setting is unaffected by it. I haven't tested everything but I can't see a pattern to what it reverts and what it doesn't. Odd.....

There is a difference between the main "load defaults" button and the "default settings" button under the Misc tab. The former resets everything to the defaults, whereas the latter leaves the custom command line area alone, and doesn't make all the advanced settings tabs disappear, which means I'd probably be more inclined to use it now I've refreshed my memory as to how it works.

Unless all of the above works differently when you're not using XP.....
I really should pull my finger out and get the new PC build under way.

Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd September 2015 at 00:50.
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:15   #4713  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Is there a way to get as included AviSynth the 2.6 MT one instead of standard AviSynth?

I have tried to manually replace but it's overwritten at every startup.
Old 25th September 2015, 18:53   #4714  |  Link
Morku

When I delete a Preset (I created) in x264 configuration dialog, it is back when I restart MeGUI, so I need delete manually in explorer. Just saying.
Morku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 19:09   #4715  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Is there a way to get as included AviSynth the 2.6 MT one instead of standard AviSynth?

I have tried to manually replace but it's overwritten at every startup.
I'm pretty sure if you replace avisynth.dll in the "MeGUI\tools\avs" folder, that'll do the trick as it's the avisynth.dll MeGUI is copying and using to replace the other ones.
Old 25th September 2015, 19:13   #4716  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you replace avisynth.dll in the "MeGUI\tools\avs" folder, that'll do the trick as it's the avisynth.dll MeGUI is copying and using to replace the other ones.
LOL. You are right and I'm working too much.
Old 27th September 2015, 12:28   #4717  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morku View Post
When I delete a Preset (I created) in x264 configuration dialog, it is back when I restart MeGUI, so I need delete manually in explorer. Just saying.
Works for me Which MeGUI version do you have?
EDIT: I was able to reproduce it now...
EDIT2: Fixed in 2592

I received a bug report that lsmash cannot deal with 10 bit sources.
http://sourceforge.net/p/megui/bugs/812/
After some investigation this seems to be true:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...27#post1713627
In any case I have to check if the source is > 8bit. Question is what to do then:
- ignore lsmash (and use ffms)
- or add the format="YUV420P8" or format="YUV420P16" (stacked) as mentioned a few posts below

Quote:
I have tried to reproduce the OnceClick profile button oddness with my virtual XP machine and there ii works also as expected. Are you able to upload your profiles which you use for the test?

Last edited by Zathor; 27th September 2015 at 12:40.
Old 27th September 2015, 13:54   #4718  |  Link
Zathor

Code:
2594 [Update]               fixed update installation detection (regression of 2586)
2593 [L-SMASH Indexer]      improved support for 10bit files
2592 [Profile]              fixed profile deletion (regression of 2590)
2591 [AudioEncoder]         improved job abort and priority change. Bug #813
Old 27th September 2015, 14:45   #4719  |  Link
Morku

Thanks for the fix.
Another question:
Why does the updater delete any other file when tools get updated?

For example, when I got the qaac update, I had to copy back the DLL files from Apple to make qaac work again.
I also like to keep the x64 files of qaac and dgindexnv in the same folder, but x64 builds aren't part of the updates, so they get deleted, too.
Morku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 16:51   #4720  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Why does the updater delete any other file when tools get updated?
In order to have a clean environment. Runtime files may be different, obsolete other files, ...

Quote:
For example, when I got the qaac update, I had to copy back the DLL files from Apple to make qaac work again.
Thanks for the hint. These files should stay. Do you know which should not be deleted? I will then exclude them.
EDIT: found it

Quote:
I also like to keep the x64 files of qaac and dgindexnv in the same folder, but x64 builds aren't part of the updates, so they get deleted, too.
Easiest way is to create a new directory in tools. E.g. .\tools\qaac_x64

Last edited by Zathor; 27th September 2015 at 17:21.