Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th March 2018, 09:14   #49501  |  Link
stefanelli73

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
It might be a bandwidth issue. For such high resolutions, a lot of data needs to be copied to/from the GPU memory.

Try D3D11 hardware acceleration in LAV Video decoder.
it's the same thing also with D3D11.
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 09:37   #49502  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
just mine or everyone's?, guess thats what i'm trying to find out
same here with amd rx 460.

but honestly i found as workaround to get rid of strange glowing reds and oversaturated colors, to use only windowed mode. It happens only with FSE. So now all looks perfect 8bit or 10 biit. I don't know what i'm missing using windowed mode, but it works very well.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 09:59   #49503  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post

but honestly i found as workaround to get rid of strange glowing reds and oversaturated colors, to use only windowed mode. It happens only with FSE. So now all looks perfect 8bit or 10 biit. I don't know what i'm missing using windowed mode, but it works very well.
Probably nothing if U use Windows 10, it was required before that for 10 bit output.
mytbyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 10:54   #49504  |  Link
Polopretress

madVR bypassed with DXVA2 (native) decoder

i have a question linked to the hardware decoder used with Lav Audio. When i select DXVA2 (native) on a 32 bits configuration , madVR is bypassed for any treatment but it is working fine on a 64 bits configuration.

Is it a known behaviour ?

Today, is it better to select D3D11 or DXVA2 (copy back) ?
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 11:47   #49505  |  Link
mytbyte

@Polopretess: I don't find this to be true...it's only that DXVA native (not D3D11 native) doesn't work with some features of MadVR (like chroma scaling)...
Old 11th March 2018, 11:50   #49506  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
@Polopretess: I don't find this to be true...it's only that DXVA native (not D3D11 native) doesn't work with some features of MadVR (like chroma scaling)...
The only features that don't work are IVTC and black border detection. Scaling, including Chroma, work just fine. The same limitations apply to D3D11 native, because those are software algorithms not on the GPU.
Old 11th March 2018, 12:16   #49507  |  Link
mytbyte

@nevcariel: I don't know, man...when using LAV DXVA native decoder, chroma scaling is always reported as < or > DXVA in OSD, no matter what I choose in the settings...also madshi confirmed that...
Old 11th March 2018, 12:34   #49508  |  Link
el Filou

You need to uncheck Use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing native DXVA decoding in the Trade quality for performance settings screen.
Old 11th March 2018, 12:40   #49509  |  Link
sauma144

I think madshi should remove this "trade quality for performance" option.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 12:44   #49510  |  Link
mytbyte

@filou: OK...got it...defaults seem to be favouring weaker gfx hardware (perhaps some autodetection of gfx card's performance and auto-configuraton would be nice, or I'm missing that too)...MadVR seems more complex than any post-production compositing software I'm using...
Old 11th March 2018, 13:55   #49511  |  Link
huhn

DXVA chroma scaling for DXVA native decoding make a lot of sense because you will get worse chroma even with the trade quality for performance option.
if you want better quality use software, DXVA copy back or d3d11.

and DXVA native is default in MPC-HC not in the stand alone version of lavfilter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauma144 View Post
I think madshi should remove this "trade quality for performance" option.
no just no...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 14:00   #49512  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post

so i'm not the only one it must be an issue with MADVR then or GPU drivers.

I need FSE for 3D, sure I tried turning this off as a test though, i'll have another go.

Would still like MADSHI to have a look at what is going on here if this is ineed an issue with all RX cards.

I have FSE and windowed mode unticked, still get blown out reds, only removed DIRECT3D11 tick resolves for me but this means no HDR so this isnt a solution for me. LAV renderer also makes no difference so whatever is happening is happening in MADVR so I think the solution lays there if MADSHI can find out whats going on.

If anyone else can find a solution or has something else I can try let me know.

Last edited by mclingo; 11th March 2018 at 14:10.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 15:10   #49513  |  Link
cca310

I am having an issue that I am not seeing exactly in this thread.

I am having very strange presentation glitches even on the lowest settings on madvr.

1. If I use exclusive full screen mode, presentation glitches will happen very quickly, hundreds and hundreds of them.

2. If I have anything on my second monitor, the presentation glitches will start rapidly increasing. If I were to watch a movie on my computer with madvr. I need to close everything on my second monitor.

3. When I toggle the information with CTRL + J, is will always say frame drop every 1 minute, but I will never actually accumulate any frame drops. What does this mean?

I have a suspicion on what this could be. Windows 10 has a bug, as well as nvidia drivers to some degree I believe, in the way it draws the desktop. I have a 144hz main monitor and a 60hz secondary. Anytime there is anything on the second monitor, Windows 10 puts a 60hz vsync across both displays which makes my main monitor lag. OF course, I am just not sure.

I am running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a 7700K processor, my main monitor is on my GTX 1080, and my second monitor is on the IGPU of the processor.
cca310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 15:49   #49514  |  Link
huhn

windows 10 desktop composition is broken. there is little you can do about this try windows 7 overlay and don'T forget to disable FSE because that doesn't seem to work for you.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 17:52   #49515  |  Link
clsid

FSE does not really have much benefits on Windows 10. Functionality that required FSE on older versions of Windows also works in windowed mode in current Windows 10.

If you really need FSE, then disable "fullscreen optimizations" in the compatibility settings of your player (right-click on .exe > properties > compatibility). Also disable the game bar in Windows 10.

I think I read somewhere on nvidia forum that the vsync issue might get fixed in next Windows 10 build.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 18:27   #49516  |  Link
mclingo

@MADSHI - ive logged the two outstanding issues I have as bugs and provided workarounds.

1. Black screen coming out of 1080p 3D MVC back to 2160p 60hz desktop - workaround - use fresh rate switching in video player rather than MADVR or set your desktop to 1080p before starting the movie.
2. Incorrect colours displayed with Calibration off setting on AMD RX cards - workaround - use calibration settings in MADVR.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 19:51   #49517  |  Link
Polopretress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
@nevcariel: I don't know, man...when using LAV DXVA native decoder, chroma scaling is always reported as < or > DXVA in OSD, no matter what I choose in the settings...also madshi confirmed that...
It is not what i have on my htpc. that's the reason of my question.
all is working fine using dxva2(native) setting on a 64bits bundle.
Only the 32 bits bundle is not working well.

What is your bundle (32 or 64 bits) ?

For information, i do not want to use DXVA2 (native) since i have switched on D3D11 but i would like to understand why i have this difference between 32 and 64 bits bundle for DXVA2 (native) selection.

EDIT :
Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
You need to uncheck Use DXVA chroma upscaling when doing native DXVA decoding in the Trade quality for performance settings screen.
OK. Thank.
this option was checked on my 32 bits bundle....

So now that this setting is working fine on both 32 and 64 bits configuration, i would like to have confirmation on the limitation of such setting because for me , it appears like it works fine for image enhancement and upscaling refinement (after doubling).

Last edited by Polopretress; 11th March 2018 at 20:50.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 20:41   #49518  |  Link
Robominator

Just received my new Beamer , a JVC x7900. I already calibrated the Rec709.
But what would be the best Color profile for it to use with Madvr ?
Robominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 21:20   #49519  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
It is not what i have on my htpc. that's the reason of my question.
all is working fine using dxva2(native) setting on a 64bits bundle.
Only the 32 bits bundle is not working well.

What is your bundle (32 or 64 bits) ?

For information, i do not want to use DXVA2 (native) since i have switched on D3D11 but i would like to understand why i have this difference between 32 and 64 bits bundle for DXVA2 (native) selection.
I use both 32 and 64 bit MPC-HC, I suppose the 32-bit version can only use 32-bit LAV filters...and everything works the same as in 64-bit MPC-HC, as far as i can see. I don't quite understand what is it that doesn't work for you in 32-bit with DXVA native?
Old 11th March 2018, 21:25   #49520  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robominator View Post
Just received my new Beamer , a JVC x7900. I already calibrated the Rec709.
But what would be the best Color profile for it to use with Madvr ?
What do you mean by color profile? If you refer to the option "this display is already calibrated" you should use Rec.709 with whatever gamma was measured by your calibration software. probably "disable calibration" will also work well if you calibrated to 2.2 gamma

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling