Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 2nd May 2008, 10:54   #1  |  Link
KitKit

MSN music store authorization?

Hy,
This is my first post (hy to everyone), I'm writing here hoping that someone could help me. Ok, I have all my music from MSN music store (great site), I bought a lot of music from there. Few days ago they sent me an e-mail advising me to authorize all my music cause by the end of the summer they will close the licenses server so I won't be able to transfer my music on other devices. My question is: should I get license for each song or there is a easy way to authorize my music?

Last edited by Guest; 2nd May 2008 at 12:44. Reason: forum rule 9; please read forum rules
KitKit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 21:16   #2  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Not sure about that one, but IMHO, you'd be far better off stripping the DRM with one of several tools in the "Decrypting" forum. Try FreeMe2.
Old 10th June 2008, 12:10   #3  |  Link
zetta

You should try Tunebite, very practice and useful. Besides it removes the DRM protection it also converts the files (audio and video) into the format you need.
zetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 08:22   #4  |  Link
KitKit

I heard that there are some tools which can remove that DRM protection but, hey, they are legal??? cause I don't want to mess with law.
Old 11th June 2008, 17:10   #5  |  Link
Slogra

Right now, I would worry a lot more about your wma files than the law. If you change hardware a few times, the files will be unplayable forever, because you can't get a new license from M$ anymore.

You just have to find a program that strips the DRM without losing soundquality.

btw i hope you learned your lesson to never buy any DRM music anymore.
Slogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 12:52   #6  |  Link
KitKit

You're right, I have to worry more about my music, not law. And regarding the files quality, that's why I posted on forum to see some opinions. And, believe me, I won't buy DRMed music anymore. When I received their e-mail I sweared like a trooper cause I got so mad...
Old 20th June 2008, 12:51   #7  |  Link
zetta

hey, it's legal to remove the copy protection if you remove it for personal use and not for sharing with other persons. Only then it is illegal.
zetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 10:32   #8  |  Link
KitKit

Hy guys,
I decided to buy this Tunebite cause it looks pretty interesting. But, guess what, I saw that the MSN music store won't be close till 2011 and that after I've already bought that soft...
Old 25th June 2008, 10:51   #9  |  Link
jeffy

3 years is not a long time...
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/06...soft-msn-music
Quote:
Paying customers of Microsoft’s MSN Music store can breathe a sigh of relief, but the real problems remain unaddressed. DRM-crippled music still has an expiration date –- whenever the company that sold that music becomes unable or unwilling to continue supporting the copy protection.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 09:00   #10  |  Link
KitKit

ya, 3 years is not a long time and now, when I have this tool, I don't have to get them help regarding legalizing the files, only to buy music from them