Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st November 2021, 20:40   #62381  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by doffen View Post
I do know IÂ’ve updated the firmware of either my mouse or keyboard before. You should check for updates rather than just assume itÂ’s updated.
That was a figure of speech. I know it's up to date, I use it on 3 different PCs with Logitech Options installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doffen View Post
If you think MadVR is getting troublesome youÂ’re free to look around for alternatives. Depending on what you want theyÂ’re out there. If you do find an alternative IÂ’d love to hear about it!
I've been using madvr for 6 or 7 years, and I know there aren't that many software alternatives. But when you get used to launch Disney+ or Netflix or whatever streaming app or your TV/Shield/ATV and press play, you get tired of spending an incredible amount of time tinkering with obscure settings on your HTPC rather than just watching content, and praying the next OS/Driver update won't break HDR, custom timings or whatever this Rube Goldberg machine my HTPC has become.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 21:21   #62382  |  Link
claw

I have madVR configured for tone mapping to SDR BT2020 output.

No issues until I started testing 4K120 game output with RTX 3080 Ti and G-Sync enabled connected to an LG CX OLED for VRR.

With G-Sync enabled in the 3080 Ti, even if I changed resolution back to 4K23, the LG sees the SDR BT2020 input as HDR. My JVC RS500 projector also reports HDR input. If I go back into Nvidia Control panel, change to 4K120, disable G-Sync, and then set resolution to 4K23, the LG no longer sees HDR. My HDfury devices confirm that with G-Sync ON, it receives SDR BT2020 HDR.

So what's the deal with this? Nvidia driver is 471.68.

Last edited by claw; 21st November 2021 at 21:32.
claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 22:36   #62383  |  Link
LordX2

It looks like BITSTREAMING the audio is causing these dropped/repeated frames..... finally narrowed it down today.

What are my options here? I love my bitstreamed audio!

Update: I lowered my version of MPC-HC to last year - .74 LAV Filters.... now no more dropped/repeat frames. What is in the newer versions that could cause this?

Last edited by LordX2; 21st November 2021 at 23:01.
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2021, 17:26   #62384  |  Link
LordX2

So, I finally sat down to watch something - played perfectly. Audio perfect, and just the two normal dropped frames from 23.976 content playing for 2 hours.

To recap for anyone else having stuttering/glitch issues:

1. To fix the glitch after 30 seconds of playback, a fix from Nvidia is available here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/5157

2. With this fix applied, I was having drop/repeat frames at certain points in video playback. Found out it was my LAV Filters, moved back to a version from a year ago (.74 something). This solved the issue.

I don't know if the issues are connected, or I am just super unlucky.

Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions, tips, fixes - and for putting up with me!
Old 23rd November 2021, 16:20   #62385  |  Link
LordX2

Is there a way to have the settings menu "exploded"?

I don't have to change enough settings to warrant multiple profiles - but when I want to tweak something, it is a minor annoyance to have to have to click the drop downs next to the section I need to tweak. Having everything exploded all the time would be a nice setting option.
Old 23rd November 2021, 17:02   #62386  |  Link
brazen1

The madVR GUI size is stretched too far horizontally and not enough vertically for me - layout looks like a letter envelope and would be more functional if the layout was more like a playing card. Is this the same for others and can it be resized somehow - possibly in a registry value?
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2021, 18:28   #62387  |  Link
SamuriHL

All those options in the beta versions are not meant to stay. They are there for testing while the tone mapping is tweaked/improved. Madshi has been very clear that UI updates around settings is not a priority for the betas at all. If anything, he's introduced quite a few bugs in that area and hasn't spent any time worrying about them because he wants those options to disappear.
Old 23rd November 2021, 20:42   #62388  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
I was having drop/repeat frames at certain points in video playback. Found out it was my LAV Filters, moved back to a version from a year ago (.74 something). This solved the issue.
Instead of using old LAV version, you can also try disabling "Auto A/V sync correction" in LAV Splitter settings. Instead of a video glitch you may get an (inaudible) audio glitch.
Old 23rd November 2021, 21:02   #62389  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Instead of using old LAV version, you can also try disabling "Auto A/V sync correction" in LAV Splitter settings. Instead of a video glitch you may get an (inaudible) audio glitch.
That was one of the first things I tried. Didn't rectify the issue.

Am I missing anything mission critical from using .74 vs .75?
Old 24th November 2021, 00:40   #62390  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:

Am I missing anything mission critical from using .74 vs .75?
Nope.

If you can jump through the nightlies though n figure out the change that caused it though that would be nice.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 22:16   #62391  |  Link
LordX2

I am curious too - I just made the same changes on my dad's HTPC. Also had to drop down. He has a different computer, but exact same 3060 (I bought them together).

The tech in me wants to know which version of LAV makes this happen. The part of me that likes being married knows better. If I go back and start fiddling after declaring 'victory' on this - I may need a place to sleep!
Old 25th November 2021, 15:17   #62392  |  Link
toki

alright, so I use colourspace to upload 3dluts to madvr. After updating to windows 11, I cannot upload my lut to the correct monitor. It always uploads to my main monitor which is not the one I want that lut to be put in. Has anyone else run into this issue with windows 11? I've tried multiple things in display setting, and nothing worked. I tried making my 2nd monitor the main monitor and the numbers wouldn't even change. My primary monitor just stayed 1 even though I made the other display my main display.
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 05:46   #62393  |  Link
LordX2

I never thought to ask: Does 32 bit or 64 bit make a difference with MPC-HC and MadVR?

I have always been using the 64bit MPC-HC installs.
Old 26th November 2021, 06:04   #62394  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I have always been using the 64bit MPC-HC installs.
As you should. For the core player itself and madVR it's not a big difference AFAIA but for LAV (internal filters for MPC-HC) it makes a big difference when it comes to decoding files.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 14:41   #62395  |  Link
flossy_cake

I have a weird random monitor driver bug that is affecting MadVR.

The problem is that is every now and then on boot, Windows somehow fails to load its generic monitor driver (code 38 error message in Device Manager) and when this happens, Windows assigns the monitor a new device ID that tricks MadVR into thinking I've connected a completely new monitor.

Since MadVR stores its monitor settings separately for each monitor based on the monitor's device ID, this means when this Windows driver bug strikes, I lose all my monitor settings in MadVR, which includes the auto resolution switching stuff among other critical settings.

Therefore to work around this issue I was wondering if it's possible to somehow tell MadVR to use global monitor settings that apply to every new monitor regardless of the monitor's device ID.

I know there's got to be some "default monitor settings" data structure in MadVR that it loads from when it creates a new monitor entry in its devices tab, but I don't know where it's stored or how to modify it.

Basically I want to override the default monitor settings that MadVR uses when it adds a new monitor to its devices tab.

flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 16:11   #62396  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
As you should. For the core player itself and madVR it's not a big difference AFAIA but for LAV (internal filters for MPC-HC) it makes a big difference when it comes to decoding files.
So having the 64bit LAV filters makes a big difference?

That was my thought with the 32 bit - see if the 32bit current MPC-HC worked (which I believe comes bundled with the 32bit LAV filters).

But if there is an obvious and noticeable reason to not use 32bit LAV filters, I will stay away from that idea.
Old 26th November 2021, 16:38   #62397  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Yeah, this is interesting, I've always used LAV filters 32 bit.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 17:04   #62398  |  Link
SamuriHL

If you're on a native 64bit processor, running a 64 bit OS, then using 64 bit LAV is going to matter. The real issue is one of memory. With these larger files, the more memory you can access the better. 64 bit processes allow access to more memory.
Old 26th November 2021, 17:12   #62399  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
If you're on a native 64bit processor, running a 64 bit OS, then using 64 bit LAV is going to matter. The real issue is one of memory. With these larger files, the more memory you can access the better. 64 bit processes allow access to more memory.
Meaning better performance?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 17:12   #62400  |  Link
clsid

I just ran a small performance test (with GraphStudioNext) as illustration, software decoding a small 10-bit hevc sample:

32-bit => 200 fps
64-bit => 324 fps

So 62% faster! This can of course be more or less in other cases.

With hardware decoding, perf difference is minimal, but nonetheless there is absolutely no fucking reason at all to use 32-bit (unless you use crap like reclock). Functionality and stability wise there is no difference at all.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling