Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th November 2021, 15:11   #62361  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
Yeah, definitely a 'some users' kind of thing. Oddly, I tried it on a brand new windows 11 system that I had for a customer - and it did it too.
The issue still exists with 496.76/.84 driver. However, enabling the new GPU upscaling resolutions "fixes" it for me. Well, it could of course also just secretly disable MPO as well.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 15:42   #62362  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
The issue still exists with 496.76/.84 driver. However, enabling the new GPU upscaling resolutions "fixes" it for me. Well, it could of course also just secretly disable MPO as well.
What is the nature of this issue? Something like flicker in full screen?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 15:51   #62363  |  Link
huhn

the GPU usages spikes the sync "resets"/changes and frames are dropped.

could look like flicker.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 15:56   #62364  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post

could look like flicker.
I had flicker in fullscreen using d3d11 for presentation and 1 frame in advance, changed to d3d9 and it is ok.
Old 17th November 2021, 16:12   #62365  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:

could look like flicker.
It was definitely more like a glitch/stutter. It was very jarring (especially when my present cue was only at 1).
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2021, 16:44   #62366  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordX2 View Post
It was definitely more like a glitch/stutter. It was very jarring (especially when my present cue was only at 1).
Does it happen with d3d9, or only with d3d11?
Old 17th November 2021, 20:21   #62367  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Does it happen with d3d9, or only with d3d11?
It seems to differ with individual setups.

If you have no need for the new multi plane overlay - just disable it with the .reg file from nvidia and then never worry about it. I did all the worrying for everyone else on this forum over this issue...

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/5157
Old 17th November 2021, 21:48   #62368  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
However, enabling the new GPU upscaling resolutions "fixes" it for me.
What's this? "new GPU upscaling resolutions"?
Old 17th November 2021, 22:32   #62369  |  Link
LordX2

So, finally sat down just to enjoy a flick after all this last weeks stressing, and had something wackily different happen to me.

After about an hour and 15 minutes of straight watching, I noticed a 'click' in the sound - like a sound glitch. I am bit-streaming through my Denon.

Then, out of the blue, ALL the sound started coming out of just one of my rear speakers. I put the movie back 10 seconds, and bam, all sound normal again.

Could maybe just be the encode I was watching - but does this scream anything else to anyone? Never experienced anything like it before, but haven't really gotten to sit down and watch something more than 20 mins since getting this all straightened out.
Old 18th November 2021, 10:42   #62370  |  Link
Ultimathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimathor View Post
Hi LordX2,

Thanks so much for your reply. We're definitely moving in the right direction :-).

I removed the 1080p 23/24/30/60 entries from the display modes for profile 1080p23 and now the scaling works. That's great.

I have unchecked the "report BT.2020 to display" on 2160p 23/60. However, it seems like the projector understands everything coming from madVR as HDR BT.2020 and shifts into HDR mode with high lamp, BT2020 and enables the JVC Frame Adapt on top of madVR. I'd been hoping for DCI-P3 where I should then select high lamp through User 2 rather than Cinema.

The projector shows HDR BT.2020 for 2160p23 HDR material, 2160p23 SDR-material and 1080p (upscaled to 2160p) material. I've attached screen shots for madVR OSD and the JVC N5 info that shows what the projector receives for a 2160p23 HDR movie (Blade Runner 2049) and a 1080p23 movie (About Endlessness).

I've also attached my updated settings.bin file.

I really appreciate that you take the time to assist with this. I would not have been able to figure it out on my own.
I found out part of the problem. It was a setting on the JVC N5 under "Auto Pic. Mode Select" that was set to "Last setting" for SD (2D). So when it had registered BT.2020 and HDR on the last played SDR (2D) movie, it continued to do so. I changed it to "Cinema" and now 1080p movies work great. They are upscaled to 2160p, the gamut is DCI-P3 and the colors are beautiful.

However, there's still a problem with UHD HDR rips. I've set the Primaries/Gamut to DCI-P3 for the 2160p23 and 2160p60 profiles and unticked "Report BT.2020 to dislpay". But the display still interprets the material from madVR as being HDR and then switches to high-lamp and HDR Frame Adapt and BT.2020. In the the madVR OSD it says BT.2020 ->DCI-P3. How come madVR shows one thing and the JVC N5 reports another?

I'm a bit confused as to whether I should use BT.2020 for HDR material
or if I should convert from BT.2020 to DCI-P3 and then just set the lamp to high.

When I play series that are in HDR10+ it works fine. MadVR plays these and the projector recognizes these as DCI-P3.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Ultimathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 15:43   #62371  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
I found out part of the problem. It was a setting on the JVC N5 under "Auto Pic. Mode Select" that was set to "Last setting" for SD (2D). So when it had registered BT.2020 and HDR on the last played SDR (2D) movie, it continued to do so. I changed it to "Cinema" and now 1080p movies work great. They are upscaled to 2160p, the gamut is DCI-P3 and the colors are beautiful.

However, there's still a problem with UHD HDR rips. I've set the Primaries/Gamut to DCI-P3 for the 2160p23 and 2160p60 profiles and unticked "Report BT.2020 to dislpay". But the display still interprets the material from madVR as being HDR and then switches to high-lamp and HDR Frame Adapt and BT.2020. In the the madVR OSD it says BT.2020 ->DCI-P3. How come madVR shows one thing and the JVC N5 reports another?

I'm a bit confused as to whether I should use BT.2020 for HDR material
or if I should convert from BT.2020 to DCI-P3 and then just set the lamp to high.

When I play series that are in HDR10+ it works fine. MadVR plays these and the projector recognizes these as DCI-P3.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Under the HDR section of the display in MadVR settings, you can select to use pixel shaders to tone map HDR to SDR. That selection should stop HDR from being sent to your PJ. (IN that selection there may be another box to send hdr that need to be unchecked).

I use the tone mapping, and then I go to calibration and tell MadVR that I am calibrated for BT.2020. I tried the 'report bt.2020 to display' - and on ONE of my projectors, it works, and on my Sony, it doesn't (I have to manually switch the Sony to BT.2020).

With those settings done, you will be outputting SDR BT.2020 (MadVR will still always show BT.2020 -> DCI-P3), and the projector should never switch to HDR.

Alternatively, in your PJ settings, you may be able to just SET the picture mode to SDR (e.g. NOT auto) (or conversely turn HDR off) depending on how your PJ menus work.
Old 18th November 2021, 18:14   #62372  |  Link
Ultimathor

Quote:
why do you even use profiles in the first place?

the black screen has nothing to do with the source.
Not sure if this reply was intended for me?

It is my understanding that I need different profiles but if I don't gain anything from it, I'd be just as happy with just one. I mostly watch movies that are either 1080p23 or 2160p23 (some SDR and some HDR). I also watch some sports games that are 720p60 or 1080p60.

Do you need the different profiles to assign different color gamuts (DCI-P3 and BT.2020?
Ultimathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 19:11   #62373  |  Link
brazen1

@Ultimathor, I use 2 profiles for DCI-P3 (HDR) and BT.709 (SDR). I know the rule of thumb is to use the same for whatever the display is calibrated to but they look better on my display to my eyes and nowhere near as good when simply applying one or the other for everything.

Tbh, I never thought I'd use so many multiple profiles for various things but as I apply them, my diverse collection of titles just keeps looking and performing better and better - automatically with no hands on required due to applying through profiles. Thank you madshi for accommodating every setting and so many keywords, operators, numerical, boolean, and string values to define profiles.

Last edited by brazen1; 18th November 2021 at 19:33.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2021, 20:41   #62374  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Not sure if this reply was intended for me?

It is my understanding that I need different profiles but if I don't gain anything from it, I'd be just as happy with just one. I mostly watch movies that are either 1080p23 or 2160p23 (some SDR and some HDR). I also watch some sports games that are 720p60 or 1080p60.

Do you need the different profiles to assign different color gamuts (DCI-P3 and BT.2020?
no you don't need profiles to do that.
you are using profile without even knowing how things work in the first place get it working first and then think about profiles
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2021, 04:26   #62375  |  Link
LordX2

I noticed some interesting things watching the spears and munsil video a couple of times.

At around 4:30 seconds the shot where the cars are zipping by on a highway in super speed drops and repeats a frame (or 2 each). Every time. Repeatable. Like I can click back 10 seconds and it happens again and again on that scene. I tried three different versions of the video. All the same thing. Render times are not over the 41.7ms mark (or at least not showing they are in the stats). But I don't think it's a render time issue since I backed down the Chroma setting as a test and it STILL happened.

Speaking of rendering times - I am noting large fluctuations (maybe normal???). The videos I am watching with my current HDR settings are averaging right around 31/32ms render times, with normal 5s high spikes up to 34-36ms. However, I am noticing some spikes up to the 39/40ms level. Is it normal to have 10ms rendering jumps like that?

Also, SOME of the spikes went ABOVE the 41.7ms cut off, with NO effect on dropped frames or present cue. How can that be?

UPDATE: This morning I went through a blitz of tests (I have a 2nd hard drive for the HTPC that I installed a fresh copy of Win10 on so I could do driver and lav filter tests without messing up my main HTPC system).

When this dropped/repeat frame happens, there IS a 1 frame lowering of the present cue.

No matter what I did, that scene always drops and repeats frames. I installed older drivers. I installed an older version of MPC-HC which had an older version of LAV Filters. I tried D3D11 Copyback, I tried DXVA Copyback (I regularly use D3D11 Native). I dropped NGU from High all the way to Low...

At this point I feel like I am chasing my tail...

UPDATE: I can't handle not being able to test the old drivers. The 3060 is becoming a nightmare. I just ordered a 3080 - which I should be able to put back to driver version 457.xx - the one I used to use. Let's see if that solves EVERYTHING. If not - I will be back! hah

Last edited by LordX2; 21st November 2021 at 02:37.
Old 20th November 2021, 11:29   #62376  |  Link
mzso

Hello!

Is there a solution such as a pixel shader script to view VR videos on a monitor normally? (one field only, with correction for the distortion)

Last edited by mzso; 20th November 2021 at 12:40.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 09:02   #62377  |  Link
Charky

Has anyone ever experienced dropped frames and presentation glitches caused by... a perfectly still wireless mouse?

I experienced linked (ie : happening at the same time) dropped frames / presentation glitches every 20 seconds or so. Couldn't solve it no matter what settings I tried.

At one point I just had a hunch and switched off my mouse (Logitech MX Anywhere 2S, there is a on/off switch on it).

Problem solved, but the mystery remains…

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 09:11   #62378  |  Link
doffen

I have the same mouse, but can't say I've experienced the same issue.
Do you use Bluetooth or the "unifying reciever" I use the unifying reciever. The firmware of my mouse is 013.000.00003.
doffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 18:57   #62379  |  Link
Charky

Unifying reciever here. Don't know the firmware number but I believe it's up to date.

TBH between OS and drivers quirks, with custom res and DTM, madvr is starting to be more trouble than what it's really worth, especially for a piece of software that's clearly been sidelined...

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2021, 20:08   #62380  |  Link
doffen

I do know I’ve updated the firmware of either my mouse or keyboard before. You should check for updates rather than just assume it’s updated.
If you think MadVR is getting troublesome you’re free to look around for alternatives. Depending on what you want they’re out there. If you do find an alternative I’d love to hear about it!
doffen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling