Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th February 2015, 16:29   #41  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Announcing Zoom Player v10 final!

In version 10 we made great strides in making Zoom Player's fullscreen user interface and user experience much more accessible and intuitive.

But that's not all, a new pre-configuration wizard lets you automatically configure Zoom Player based on the device used, be it a regular desktop PC, a Home Theater PC or a Tablet/Touch device.

New fullscreen navigation interfaces can be used in v10 to easily configure the media library without having to exit fullscreen mode and switch between Audio and Subtitle streams with ease.

New "Hot Corners" usability feature that easily accesses dialogs or additional functionality with the mouse or touch input.

New support for custom functionality assigned to the 4th and 5th mouse buttons.

New patterns for the customizable fullscreen navigation interface, including visually enhanced default patterns.

Better 4K video playback using MadVR and a large frame buffer.

In v10, load time was improved, especially when running an initial configuration.

Download the latest FINAL:
http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml
Old 21st February 2015, 23:03   #42  |  Link
Snappy Phoenix
System Tweaker

When I used Zoon Player in the past, it was a huge pain to set CUDA to be the default for everything as I couldn't set it globally but had to select CUDA for every extension which would take ages. is it still the same?

Zoom Player had the worst non intuitive settings I have ever used in a media player, very not user friendly so I got a refund for my purchase

I hope this has changed
Old 22nd February 2015, 09:03   #43  |  Link
Asmodian

CUDA? CUDA isn't something you set in Zoom Player.

When I re-install I don't need to change any setting in Zoom Player to use LAV Video for everything I play and I would set CUDA in LAV. You could simply set Zoom Player to use Direct Show merits like any other direct show media player. I have used Zoom Player for over a decade now so maybe I am used to the settings but I don't understand what your problem could have been. Changing the default Smart Play settings is still painful due to the number of formats, etc. but you do not need to use Smart Play at all to use CUDA and the default Smart Play settings now use LAV filters for most formats.

I like Zoom Player because it gives enough options so I can configure it to behave exactly the way I want. Most other media players simply don't have the options at all. What about the settings was not user friendly?

The settings have definitely improved over the years but in advanced mode the shear number might be overwhelming if you were looking for a particular setting and did not know where it was. Try out the free version if you want another look but remember it does not allow you to change Smart Play settings.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:44   #44  |  Link
xabregas

one thing i notest with zoom player is the sound. the sound is somehow better with zoom audio decoder, not sure why, seems better
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 22:00   #45  |  Link
Snappy Phoenix
System Tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
CUDA? CUDA isn't something you set in Zoom Player.

When I re-install I don't need to change any setting in Zoom Player to use LAV Video for everything I play and I would set CUDA in LAV. You could simply set Zoom Player to use Direct Show merits like any other direct show media player. I have used Zoom Player for over a decade now so maybe I am used to the settings but I don't understand what your problem could have been. Changing the default Smart Play settings is still painful due to the number of formats, etc. but you do not need to use Smart Play at all to use CUDA and the default Smart Play settings now use LAV filters for most formats.

I like Zoom Player because it gives enough options so I can configure it to behave exactly the way I want. Most other media players simply don't have the options at all. What about the settings was not user friendly?

The settings have definitely improved over the years but in advanced mode the shear number might be overwhelming if you were looking for a particular setting and did not know where it was. Try out the free version if you want another look but remember it does not allow you to change Smart Play settings.
What I didn't like is, I wanted to specify LAV for everything. It's not like MPC-HC where it's a global setting, I had to do it for each and every extension! I guess whoever developed Zoom Player wanted to make sure to make it a daunting task to do some basic settings with no global setting for all. Steered me off as a paying customer and got my refund. Seems things haven't improved if the way to set LAV for everything is still the same.

and CUDA is part of LAV which uses the nVIDIA GPU to have everything rendered by the GPU
Old 3rd March 2015, 23:18   #46  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryracer View Post
Seems things haven't improved if the way to set LAV for everything is still the same.
LAV is used for everything [LAV supports] by default. It is very easy to set it up that way.

Quote:
I guess whoever developed Zoom Player wanted to make sure to make it a daunting task to do some basic settings with no global setting for all.
Blight is the Zoom Player developer. Smart Play is for advanced setup. Smart Play configures different formats individually because no single option works for everything. Simply turn it off if you do not like it.

It is only fairly recently when we got a decent "almost-all-in-one" splitter and decoder in the form of LAV. Why do you need an option? What would you set it to except LAV?

Quote:
and CUDA is part of LAV which uses the nVIDIA GPU to have everything rendered by the GPU
That is what I said. You said it was hard to use CUDA when what you meant was that it was hard to use LAV.

It seems like you only tried Zoom Player in the window of time between LAV being released and the updated Smart Play default settings.
Old 6th March 2015, 00:26   #47  |  Link
Snappy Phoenix
System Tweaker

I tried it when it was @ v9 if I remember correctly.

What I usually do in MPC-HC is set the external decoder to LAV and set it to use CUVID. When I tried doing that in Zoom Player, I couldn't simply select it globally and had to set LAV manually for each extension under the moon which is why I said what I said. Additionally, saving the settings and reloading them upon installation did not keep my LAV preference for every extension which is why I asked for a refund and got it.

I told them back then I wish there was an easy preset to have Zoom Player work with SVP properly and use LAV for everything.
Old 6th March 2015, 02:16   #48  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I told them back then I wish there was an easy preset to have Zoom Player work with SVP properly and use LAV for everything.
And they made it use LAV for everything without changing any setting at all so you are good to go.
Old 8th October 2015, 14:23   #49  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Version 11 final has been released, please review the first post of this thread for the full information.
Old 12th October 2015, 16:08   #50  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Version 11 FREE has been released, download:
http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml
Old 1st November 2015, 02:30   #51  |  Link
Asmodian

Thank you for the new version.

I have gotten very used to using both the mouse gestures and hot corners to control various features, in video only windowed mode, as well as full screen. They were a major feature upgrade for me. I know they were already in 10 but I wanted to mention it.

My related feature request: I could use even more mouse gestures. For example, a circle gesture I could bind to "blank other screens", V or even M gestures. Is anything like that reasonable? Maybe right-click/two-finger gestures as well.

Last edited by Asmodian; 1st November 2015 at 02:33.
Old 3rd November 2015, 14:53   #52  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Asmodian:
Hmm, just did a bit of research and I may be able to hook into Windows 7+ touch API to detect certain gestures instead of the simplistic API I wrote myself.
This would also enable complex gestures and multi-finger support.

I added this to the to-do list, however, I'm not sure when/if I'll be able to get to it as I'm trying to concentrate on high-visibility features that would allow continued development of Zoom Player.
Old 25th November 2015, 16:02   #53  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Zoom Player v11.1 has been released, the initial post in this thread includes all the new information.
Old 22nd May 2016, 13:27   #54  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

I am pleased to announce Zoom Player 12 MAX final!

In version 12, we concentrated on bringing the Media Library to an entire new level and I believe you will appreciate the new eye-candy and customization options.

Here are the major new features in version 12:
- Media Library Meta-Data scraping of Posters, Backdrops, Still Images, Title, Description, Genre, Cast and more!
- Media Library JukeBox mode with fullscreen backdrop, poster image and meta-data text display.
- Enhanced fullscreen navigation skin and functions.
- Enhanced Media Library thumbnail view layout and customization features.
- Several dialogs have been restructured for UX enhancements.
- Many bug fixes.

The complete change list from version 11.1 can be found here:
http://inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_whatsnew.shtml
Old 28th August 2016, 17:42   #55  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Announcing Zoom Player version 12.5 FINAL!
In this version, we completed the JukeBox support, added more eye candy, enhanced the user experience and fixed bugs.

Some highlights:
- The media library's TV JukeBox mode is now fully functional and looking great.
- New media icons that list the Format, Video Codec, Video Resolution, Audio Codec and Audio Channels.
- New User Interface & User Experience customization options.
- Many bug fixes.

The complete list of features, enhancements and bug fixes :
http://inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_whatsnew.shtml

DOWNLOAD
Old 16th September 2016, 22:35   #56  |  Link
Asmodian

I have been enjoying the new version a lot, it is so polished and it doesn't feel bloated or anything, but I really need a 64 bit version!

4K HEVC software decoding really needs to use 64-bit LAV which is incompatible with the current Zoom Player.
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:19   #57  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Asmodian:
Converting ZP to 64bit would take far too long I'm afraid, I simply don't have the resources to do so.
For perfect HEVC decoding, your best bet would probably be a Skylake CPU or even better, a Kaby Lake CPU that includes a new media engine that can supposedly decode 4K 10bit HEVC at 60fps.
Old 9th October 2016, 15:26   #58  |  Link
Godwin

Version 12.6 release candidate 2 has been released.

Download:
http://inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_beta.shtml

Changes in this beta:

* New feature!

+ Changed feature!

- Fixed feature!

* New "Darken thumbnail background" setting (Adv. Options / Interface /
Fullscreen Navigation / Thumb View) to override's a skin-script parameter
that decide if to draw a dark rectangle behind a thumbnail.

* New "Darken thumbnail text background" setting (Adv. Options / Interface /
Fullscreen Navigation / Thumb View) to override's a skin-script parameter
that decide if to draw a dark rectangle behind a thumbnail's text.

* The ".pls" playlist format is now supported for non-shoutcast streams
and files with additional support for displaying file/stream titles.

* New right-click "Copy" menu that copies the options search dialog's
selected entry into the windows clipboard.

* New "ThumbActiveHighlightMode" skin script variable that controls whether
the media library's thumbnail highlight is drawn with the aspect ratio of
the thumbnail or as a fixed-size frame around the thumbnail as well as
new modes to draw a tiled highlight overlay.

+ The "Stream Windows Media content using Windows Media Player ActiveX
control" setting is now disabled by default. If you previously relied
on this setting, you will need to re-enable it in the advanced options
dialog.

+ The media library's category configuration "Darken thumbnail background"
setting has been depreciated in favor of the new options dialog setting.

- Fixed a visual glitch in the media library's bottom meta-data area when
scrolling and the active thumbnail scrolls off screen.

Previous beta changes since the release of version 12.5:
http://inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer...new_beta.shtml
Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 15:38   #59  |  Link
Godwin

Version 12.6 release candidate 3 has been released

Version 12.6 release candidate 3 has been released.

Download:
http://inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_beta.shtml

Changes in this beta:

* New feature!

+ Changed feature!

- Fixed feature!

- Closing Zoom Player using the Alt+F4 key would trigger a crash under
some circumstances.

- The "Auto-Play next file in the playlist" setting did not work
as intended and at times did play the next file even when disabled.

- Random play would not include randomly playing newly added playlist
tracks until at least half the original playlist tracks were played.

- When using MadVR with fullscreen exclusive mode, triggering a pop-up
OSD message would cause MadVR to drop out of fullscreen exclusive mode.

- The Time/Date display area in the fullscreen navigation virtual keyboard
would re-draw over and over instead of just once when showing and when
the time/date changed.

- Fixed a possible freeze when using MadVR and switching in and out of
fullscreen while a timeline preview thumbnail/position hint was visible.

Previous beta changes since the release of version 12.5:
http://inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer...new_beta.shtml
Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 15:59   #60  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Announcing Zoom Player version 12.6:
In this version, we added automation support to trigger custom functionality in cases where a secondary monitor is connected/disconnected, cases where a "2 in 1" laptop's screen is detached/attached to its base or when switching between mouse and tablet modes in Windows 10.

The media library received visual enhancements such as showing the last played position in thumbnail view, switching to TV JukeBox mode without scraping parent folders, more visual customization settings and a fine-grained control over the number of threads used in scraping operations (which may affect the user interface smoothness).

Hyperion, A Patreon exclusive:
Hyperion is a new fullscreen navigation skin available exclusively to our $5 and up Patreon patrons. Hyperion is available in two layouts "Hyperion" which provides a clean and modern user interface and "Hyperion MAX" which covers most of the screen area for content display. For the sharpest visuals, Hyperion/Hyperion MAX are available in FullHD and 4K versions.

Highlights:
  • Monitor connect/disconnect custom actions.
  • 2 in 1 laptop screen detach/attach custom actions.
  • Windows 10 Tablet/Mouse mode switch custom actions.
  • Media Library enhancements.
  • Many bug fixes.
  • The complete change list since version 12.5 or if you missed a version, check out the change list archive.

DOWNLOAD

Tags
dvd, htpc, media player, tablet, zoom player