Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th August 2009, 23:51   #1  |  Link
johnself

Subtitles

I am very much a newbie to ripping DVDs, but have found it's pretty easy to do - except with the issue of subtitles.

My question is how to get subtitles to appear. I have been through forum after forum and tried everything I could understand without success. I have to admit that most of the time with all the acronyms and jargon I do not understand the explanations.

The closest I seem to have come is when I've clicked on the streaming in Smart Ripper (which I use in Vista - please let me know if there is a better option) and DVD Decrypter when I use XP.

Then when I use AutoGK I select the IFO output file (sorry I do not understand the process) and that provides options showing the various subtitles.

I choose English subtitles, start AutoGk, get a perfect avi movie, but no subtitles. In the output files, there is a subtitle file and I have tried to select this in my GOM player but it doesn't work. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

And, I'm sure there must be a very simple solution to this, but I'm too new to this to have any idea what to do.

Any help any of you experts could provide would be greatly appreciated.
johnself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 00:07   #2  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

Hi johnself. Is your need an avi file? If not, you can put your avi without subs and the sub file obtained in a mkv.
If you really want an avi with hardsubs Autogk is, how to say..., not really the good solution.
MatLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 00:16   #3  |  Link
johnself

MatLz - Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatLz View Post
Hi johnself. Is your need an avi file? If not, you can put your avi without subs and the sub file obtained in a mkv.
If you really want an avi with hardsubs Autogk is, how to say..., not really the good solution.
If Autogk is not not a good solution, what program should I use? Merci.
johnself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 00:38   #4  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

In fact Autogk can do that but I think it's aleatory...sometimes it works...sometimes It doesn't...
If you want a software "all in one" without problem with subs, try fairuse. But quality is not the same...
Old 19th August 2009, 02:07   #5  |  Link
prOnorama

AutoGK can create external (VobSub subtitles) in the .sub/.idx format. You need VobSub or DirectVobSub to show these subttiltes on your PC.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VobSub
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VSFilter_DirectVobSub

The .sub/.idx files need to have the same name as the movie file in order to get shown, e.g.:

Myfilm666.avi
Myfilm666.sub
Myfilm666.idx

Don't know if (Direct)Vobsub works with GOMPlayer though (I don't use that)

Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic should work

Cheers
prOnorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 02:14   #6  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

You can make softsubs by (among other approaches) using a muxed or external SRT file, which you can create using Subrip. The advantage is being able to turn them on and off (versus hardsubbed always-on subs), edit them with a simple text editor, etc. To get SRT subs made quickly, use Subrip against all the VOBs that make up the main movie and make sure to load the associated IFO file to get the correct color palette. You can use the ai4spam character matrix (google ai4spam.rar) to vastly speed up optical character recognition by pre-mapping many characters in common fonts.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 02:39   #7  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

Problem is we are in a newbies thread...it's why I suggest him an other 'all in one' solution.
Maybe he will not can do the things you have say guys...
Old 19th August 2009, 13:29   #8  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

A lot depends on the use of the files. Manually ripping the subs is not at all difficult with such programs as SubRip, and they will display on the video if you have them in the same folder and named the same as the video file with the proper filters installed.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
subtitles