Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 2nd November 2017, 02:09   #26641  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
1. Put the files into a folder together and name the folder (the name you want for your BD).
2. Use the IMPORT function from the FILE menu.
3. Choose the files you want to import.
4. Edit the popup list to give each the name you want on the menu.
5. Import. This will create a pseudo-BD to use for input.
6. Choose an output size -- and run a full backup.

You will end up with a BD structure that can be burned to a disc that matches your selected output size.

There are other options you can use, such as choosing a background, background sound, fonts, colors, etc.
Thank you very much jdobbs for that, Iīll tell you as soon I can doo it
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:11   #26642  |  Link
Blurayhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Is that a total of 8GB, or 5-8GB for each movie? You do know that you can only get about 23.5GB on a disc (unless you use 50GB media), so you can't fit all seven on a disc and keep the original size/bitrate.

The instructions will depend upon you wanting to really keep them on a single 25GB disc, or spread them over two discs.
Thank so much to you too and I already know about it, Iīll give a try because I really donīt want to loss this movies but I donīt wnat to use seven disc

Thank you again
Blurayhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 05:53   #26643  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayhd View Post
Thank so much to you too and I already know about it, Iīll give a try because I really donīt want to loss this movies but I donīt wnat to use seven disc
The most discs that you would use is 2. The total size of those 7 videos is 35-56GB. So, by splitting those up in the right sized combinations, you can fit them onto 2 discs, without recoding to make them smaller. Getting those videos onto 1 disc, IMHO, will greatly reduce the video quality.

When you follow jdobb's steps, you can then stop at #5 and burn the BD structure that is created.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:21   #26644  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
When you follow jdobb's steps, you can then stop at #5 and burn the BD structure that is created.
Very, very bad idea. The chance that the MKV files meet blu-ray standards is virtually zero. They pretty much always have to be reencoded.
Old 2nd November 2017, 21:16   #26645  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Very, very bad idea. The chance that the MKV files meet blu-ray standards is virtually zero. They pretty much always have to be reencoded.
I totally disagree with your totally zero statement. I do it all the time. My BD player has no issue. I'm not talking about MKV files that I've encoded, but MKV files that I get elsewhere.

That is also why you do test burns on RW media, so that you can make sure that it does play all the files and that the menu structure meets your needs.
Old 2nd November 2017, 21:43   #26646  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Absolutely. Typically mkv files have stripped the borders off, hence not even the resolution is blu-ray compliant. Plus number of non-compliant ref frames, GOP size, b-adapt etc. etc. Normally all far from blu-ray compliancy.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 21:49   #26647  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
..... I do it all the time. My BD player has no issue......
Sorry, but that doesn t prove anything.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 23:30   #26648  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Absolutely. Typically mkv files have stripped the borders off, hence not even the resolution is blu-ray compliant. Plus number of non-compliant ref frames, GOP size, b-adapt etc. etc. Normally all far from blu-ray compliancy.
Yeah, I have to chime in that that is my experience too. MOSTLY the cropped borders. Now, with my OPPO I CAN sort of get away with throwing certain AR's into a BDMV folder. If it is an 1.85 or a 1.66 ratio, I can adjust the zoom / AR on my telly and it will look alright (I basically change it from the default 16x9 to 4x3) But, if it is the more common 2.35 or 2.4 it doesn't, it gets stretched.

And, I do always have to check ref & B frames first just in case I want to do that. Even at that, there are times when even playing the MKV file on my OPPO chokes it, and in looking at the encoding parameters, I still can't tell why...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:27   #26649  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Sorry, but that doesn t prove anything.
Yes, it does. It disproves the "virtually zero" and having to "always" recode. I don't.

Not all posters of MKV videos crop the image. My Samsung will just zoom the video to fit the 1920x1080 image area. What doesn't work are those people who try to save a few bits/sec by cropping 960 video to 1920x960. That doesn't play correctly, as the Samsung will vertically stretch it to 1080.
Old 3rd November 2017, 14:25   #26650  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I totally disagree with your totally zero statement. I do it all the time. My BD player has no issue. I'm not talking about MKV files that I've encoded, but MKV files that I get elsewhere.

That is also why you do test burns on RW media, so that you can make sure that it does play all the files and that the menu structure meets your needs.
I really don't care if you disagree. You are totally wrong. But, hey, if you want to pretend to be an expert despite my advice -- go ahead. But when you move on to a different player and it stops working, just remember what I said.
Quote:
Agreed 100%

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd November 2017 at 14:29.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:06   #26651  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I really don't care if you disagree. You are totally wrong. But, hey, if you want to pretend to be an expert despite my advice -- go ahead. But when you move on to a different player and it stops working, just remember what I said.
I am not wrong. It can work and does work. I've loaned a couple of these authored discs to a friend, who has a totally different BD player and they worked for him. Today's players are very forgiving, because they play so many other files. It stands to reason that they would play authored discs with video files that may not be 100% compliant. So what. If I pulled out the old Sony player, they might not work. Don't care. It didn't play a lot of other stuff either.

I just played one of the discs in my pre-Cinavia (over 5 yrs old) Samsung and it played the disc just fine. Could be luck. Don't know, don't care.

The point is that if it works for you, go for it. Whenever you can NOT recode, the better off the video file is, as encoding errors are introduced with each recode. Especially with the lower bitrates that come with many files.

Have I run across some videos that didn't work? Yes. Those were recoded. But, they are very few are far between.

If it ever happens that the disc won't play in a different player, then redo it and recode. Since the videos on the disc weren't recoded previously for the disc, they won't have gone through a double-recoding to make another disc.

The thing about BD specs is that the players have to play discs that meet those specs. Doesn't mean they can't play discs that don't. Seems that many players will play pretty much anything.
Old 3rd November 2017, 18:48   #26652  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I am not wrong. It can work and does work. I've loaned a couple of these authored discs to a friend, who has a totally different BD player and they worked for him. Today's players are very forgiving, because they play so many other files. It stands to reason that they would play authored discs with video files that may not be 100% compliant. So what. If I pulled out the old Sony player, they might not work. Don't care. It didn't play a lot of other stuff either.

I just played one of the discs in my pre-Cinavia (over 5 yrs old) Samsung and it played the disc just fine. Could be luck. Don't know, don't care.

The point is that if it works for you, go for it. Whenever you can NOT recode, the better off the video file is, as encoding errors are introduced with each recode. Especially with the lower bitrates that come with many files.

Have I run across some videos that didn't work? Yes. Those were recoded. But, they are very few are far between.

If it ever happens that the disc won't play in a different player, then redo it and recode. Since the videos on the disc weren't recoded previously for the disc, they won't have gone through a double-recoding to make another disc.

The thing about BD specs is that the players have to play discs that meet those specs. Doesn't mean they can't play discs that don't. Seems that many players will play pretty much anything.
That's just about the dumbest argument I have ever heard. Standards are there for a reason -- and have to be followed whether you, me, or anyone else likes it. Players are built to play discs that meet the blu-ray standard. Dumb-ass luck isn't the same thing as "right". Get over yourself and accept the fact that you are wrong. I know you hate being wrong -- but when you make up silly reasons like this rather than accept it -- you simply lose all credibility.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd November 2017 at 18:56.
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:19   #26653  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

I'm with jdobbs on this one. Just because it plays because the player is "configured" to be less strict when it comes to playing files doesn't mean the files are up to the standard which the player should be ENFORCING instead of being less strict.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 20:52   #26654  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
I'm with jdobbs on this one. Just because it plays because the player is "configured" to be less strict when it comes to playing files doesn't mean the files are up to the standard which the player should be ENFORCING instead of being less strict.
No reason to enforce. If the only thing the BD player did was to play CDs, authored DVDs and authored BDs, then I can understand that. But, they play pretty much everything under the sun and even stream from YouTube, Netflix, etc. Because of that, the player has to have hardware chipsets that will play pretty much any MPEG-2/MPEG-4 file thrown at it, Because that hardware is already there, by default, playback of BDs results in a broader spectrum of allowable videos.

You and jdobbs may consider that to be wrong, but that is the state of the world when it comes to players. Because of that, I take advantage of it. Doesn't mean that others can't either. Doesn't make me wrong for using the ability of the device.
Old 3rd November 2017, 21:03   #26655  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
That's just about the dumbest argument I have ever heard. Standards are there for a reason -- and have to be followed whether you, me, or anyone else likes it.
For someone who has to author discs that will play on ANY BD player, that is true. But, for those of us who can think outside of the box and use the features that the player has, it is another story. I like using the capabilities of the devices that I have.
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:02   #26656  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
For someone who has to author discs that will play on ANY BD player, that is true. But, for those of us who can think outside of the box and use the features that the player has, it is another story. I like using the capabilities of the devices that I have.
OMG! Give it up. Violating standards isn't "thinking outside the box". Gee... maybe I'll make a yard 33 inches for my own personal usage. Sound stupid? That's because it is. With every response you dig yourself deeper into the "maybe I'm speaking goofy" category.

Standards are the only thing that separates order from chaos in science and engineering. Chaos is not "thinking outside the box". It's just chaos.

Last edited by jdobbs; 3rd November 2017 at 22:09.
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:03   #26657  |  Link
MrVideo

Nope. You should give up trying to convince me what I am doing is so wrong.

We can certainly agree to disagree.

Added: You seem to be completely missing the point. The Samsung player, as are most BD/DVD/CD players these days, are not just BD/DVD/CD players. They are MEDIA players. With the "media" coming in all shapes and forms. Because of that, it can, and does more. And I take advantage of that.

I can put those same MKV files on a BD-ROM and the Samsung will play them as if I had them on a flash drive. It is just nice to have a menu wrapped around those files, with a nice image background.

Last edited by MrVideo; 3rd November 2017 at 22:22.
Old 4th November 2017, 02:33   #26658  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
You're missing the Bigger Picture.. That's what Sharc, JD, are commenting about. Those "Extra features" like YouTube and Netflix programs, don't have ANYthing to do with the Standards of playing BD. My older LG BD Player has the abilities to play MKV files also but that's outside the BD Standard specs. I'm very glad it does, it's an added bonus. Plays from USB, Data DVD and Data BD, but but doesn't have to do with BD standards. How a BD is played IS then referencing the standard.
From what I understand, the ability to play MKV files on a disc or USB..it's using different software than BD specific. Which is why JD really is so "anal" (Ahhh..pun from before) about not supporting (much) outside of the BD Specifications and is pretty ridged about Does It Play Correctly From disc??!?

This seems to be what you were missing. I hope it's helpful. Outside the Box is a form of thinking, of allowing yourself not to become ridged in Beliefs (long held patterns of thought) that CAN change from unhealthy to healthy are better awareness. It's not a Hardware related statement; nor BD related topic.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:15   #26659  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
This seems to be what you were missing.
No, I'm not missing that point, and said so in an above posting.

The "final" output from BDRB needs to fit the spec so that it will play on "every" BD player. And no, the player doesn't have to switch to a mode that will only play discs that meet the spec, otherwise it would refuse to play the discs that I've created. It doesn't.

The intermediate BDMV file layout that BDRB produces meets the spec for menu playback, so that the BD player will read and display the menu. The MPEG-2/MPEG-4 video files may not meet the BD spec, but they must meet the MPEG-2/MPEG-4 spec, which allows the player to play those files.

Let's make another example. You purchased Adobe Photoshop in order to create background images for BDRB. Adobe writes that you need, at a minimum, a certain processor type and speed. A minumum amount of RAM, minimum video display resolution and a minimum amount of HDD space in which to load the program and be able to work with images. That doesn't stop you from having a computer with capabilities that are many times better than the spec. Does that mean when you run Photoshop you only run on a computer with the minumum specs? Nope. Same thing with a BD player. It meets the minimum specs to play authored discs, but doesn't stop it from playing BD discs with non-BD spec MPEG-2/MPEG-4 videos because the player can.

It is my responsibility to determine if the player can play the intermediate BDMV file structures that BDRB produces.

I'm pleased that the BD players that I have can play the BDRB intermediate BDMV file structures. That way I can have discs with menus, without having to recode the videos and degrade the quality of the video files.
Old 4th November 2017, 04:45   #26660  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I understand your reasoning and example. My older LG BD Player also plays outside of the Specs. Short example, I don't have to name the BD "THIS_IS_THE_NAME". I'm able to call it "This Is The Name" or "this is the name". But I prefer better grammar and punctuation; however I don't use punctuation within a BD name. So, you're meaning "tHIS is tHE nAME" is outside of BD specs but it still plays. I concur. I also really like that. BUT...JD, with BD-RB, is being strict to the Guidelines of BD. That's his point. YOU understand those, at least in part, as well as I do, in part, but many Do Not. His communication and program are aimed at those who Don't...and quotes Specific to avoid a LOT of possible headaches. Get it?