Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th March 2014, 10:19   #7821  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Usually overscan is a property of analogue.
From another thread I've learned that there are TVs that can display the underscan, which I knew it wouldn't be possible with analogue sources even if digitally transferred (via HDMI).
There is no overscan/underscan in HDTV as we have it (only analogue HDTV has). However, even with authored BD/AVCHD discs it may that the overscan is available, for instance when one watches the movie on a SD TV (via VideoOut or SCART).
And finally the last issue is with Philips HDTVs that are cinema-enabled - these are wider than 16:9 thus the mattes are anyway not displayed, with the subtitles if placed downthere.
Old 19th March 2014, 10:31   #7822  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Not strictly true...

I have four LG TV's and not one of them allows you to disable over-scan (or 'Just Scan' as LG likes to call it) when watching std-def TV channels. Their 'Just Scan' option is only accessible when watching a high-def TV channels.

Fortunately, the HDMI inputs don't suffer from this limitation, unless the attached devices signals other-wise...
Old 20th March 2014, 16:14   #7823  |  Link
xzerst

Results of using MultiAVCHD 4.1 to play blu-rays on the Panasonic DMP-BDT230:

AVCHD Strict- Will not play automatically. Have to select the Videos icon tab to see the BDMV folder and navigate to streams folder. Choose m2ts file and the movie plays fine. Fast forward and rewind works but skip function doesn't.

AVCHD Disc- CORRECTION: Will not play automatically. Only plays automatically if I feed an m2ts file manually into tsmuxer and create avchd disc as output and burn to disc.

Blu-ray Disc- Does not work at all. I get incompatible disc error.

When I convert the m2ts movie file in the streams folder to mkv using mkvmerge and burn it to a dvd disc using IMGburn write file to disc (no folders) option, the movie won't play automatically. It will play by choosing the videos icon tab, select the mkv movie file and choose play.

By the way, all encoding with MultiAVCHD 4.1 done using Windows 8.1 operating system. Yes it works fine on Windows 8.1

Last edited by xzerst; 26th March 2014 at 04:59.
xzerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 07:58   #7824  |  Link
von Suppé

Did you try other media? I created tons of BD for a.o. different Panasonic players without problems. Maybe it´s Windows 8
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 18:47   #7825  |  Link
xzerst

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Did you try other media? I created tons of BD for a.o. different Panasonic players without problems. Maybe it´s Windows 8
Verbatim, Optical Quantum, and Windata media has the same problem with Blu-ray disc. Even on Windows 7 the same results. The problem has to be the firmware updates ( I've downloaded two of them). At the same time they all work with AVCHD disc. Better yet if I burn an mkv as a plain old data disc (no folders of any kind) and load it into the Panasonic player, it sees it and I select it and play it that way.

Last edited by xzerst; 22nd March 2014 at 18:51.
Old 23rd March 2014, 08:57   #7826  |  Link
von Suppé

And did you check if the created BD works on another standalone player?
Old 26th March 2014, 04:53   #7827  |  Link
xzerst

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
And did you check if the created BD works on another standalone player?
I only have one standalone player.
Old 27th March 2014, 08:39   #7828  |  Link
von Suppé

I remember having bad disks without knowing it. Drove me nuts until I tried another player. So, first thing I would make sure is if the discs play ok in other standalones. Maybe a friend's or whatever?
A disk playing fine on a pc doesn't tell much about a standalone's behaviour.
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:48   #7829  |  Link
Acerjen

3D Support

Anyone know if MultiAVCHD will be updated to support 3D ISO, so that the output directory is not twice the size of the original. I know Deank has other projects, so i was wondering if this one will no longer be updated. Thanks. Later.

Acerjen
Acerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 19:13   #7830  |  Link
DoctorM

Frozen, re-author mode, after import, Size: 155916 MiB (152.262 GiB).
Anyone else see this weirdness? I assume its a BDJava thing.
I do not select the "output with Playstation 3" option during import. Should I be? Even if I won't be using it on one?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 08:20   #7831  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Usually overscan is a property of analogue.
From another thread I've learned that there are TVs that can display the underscan, which I knew it wouldn't be possible with analogue sources even if digitally transferred (via HDMI).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Not strictly true...

I have four LG TV's and not one of them allows you to disable over-scan (or 'Just Scan' as LG likes to call it) when watching std-def TV channels. Their 'Just Scan' option is only accessible when watching a high-def TV channels.
That was exactly my point, but someone from Oz kept saying that his LG TV (and therefore many of the modern TVs) can override the overscan. Since I do not have any LG TV I can only pass this info without testing it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzerst View Post
Results of using MultiAVCHD 4.1 to play blu-rays on the Panasonic DMP-BDT230:

AVCHD Strict- Will not play automatically. Have to select the Videos icon tab to see the BDMV folder and navigate to streams folder. Choose m2ts file and the movie plays fine. Fast forward and rewind works but skip function doesn't.

AVCHD Disc- CORRECTION: Will not play automatically. Only plays automatically if I feed an m2ts file manually into tsmuxer and create avchd disc as output and burn to disc.

Blu-ray Disc- Does not work at all. I get incompatible disc error.

When I convert the m2ts movie file in the streams folder to mkv using mkvmerge and burn it to a dvd disc using IMGburn write file to disc (no folders) option, the movie won't play automatically. It will play by choosing the videos icon tab, select the mkv movie file and choose play.

By the way, all encoding with MultiAVCHD 4.1 done using Windows 8.1 operating system. Yes it works fine on Windows 8.1
Maybe a look here will help you, at least Panasonic seems to consistently refuse certain HDTV discs.
Old 6th April 2014, 06:14   #7832  |  Link
DoctorM

Still playing around with fonts for goSUP and easySUP. Arial Bold is proving too fat. (Btw, the default bottom offset of 45 is pretty low on the screen. Currently testing around 75 as being closer to what commercial discs use).

Can anyone think of a reason why Arial is not available to me as an option?
I can select Arial Narrow, Arial Bold, Arial Black Italic & Arial Rounded MT Bold.
Just not plain old Arial. I see it under just about every other program, just not MultAVHD's components.

Edit:
75 bottom offset was indeed ideal and much closer to what you'd see commercially.

ALSO, whatever that weird thing was with the font, I cheated my way around it.
For anyone else:

1) Open goSUP.
2) Set your options, and select Arial Bold (or Arial Narrow if you want).
3) Close goSUP.
4) Go to your multiAVCHD folder and open the goSUP.ini file.
5) Remove the word after Arial (bold or narrow). Save and close the file.
6) Reopen goSUP. It will now show the font as Arial, and it WILL use it correctly when you build your subtitles.

Last edited by DoctorM; 7th April 2014 at 06:24.
Old 7th April 2014, 08:26   #7833  |  Link
von Suppé

Strange. Arial is in MultiAVCHD's list. Did you try re-installing it?
Old 7th April 2014, 15:25   #7834  |  Link
Taurus

Code:
Can anyone think of a reason why Arial is not available to me as an option?
I can select Arial Narrow, Arial Bold, Arial Black Italic & Arial Rounded MT Bold.
Just not plain old Arial. I see it under just about every other program, just not MultAVHD's components.
Same here...
Win Xp 32bit
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 18:16   #7835  |  Link
DoctorM

Might be an XP thing. Mind you, by tomorrow none of should be running that...
Old 9th April 2014, 06:04   #7836  |  Link
buffalofloyd

I sooooo wish this program was still being improved and updated. Been using it for a couple years now about. I have so many issues adding mkv files and re-encoding audio from them and getting my output to include the subtitles. I usually have to demux and remux to m2ts files, add chapter files manually and only then I have limited success. Now for some reason my pgs subs are not playing on m2ts videos.

I am putting Game of Thrones on a disc for my Uncle. All my files are encoded from the full Blu-Rays with HD audio, english subtitles, and chapters to mkv's. Adding these files directly to multiAVCHD will not pick up the subtitles upon final output, you cannot extract and add them as external either, I get a fail to demux error. Selecting DTS-HD to AC3 for the audio does nothing either, or DTS to AC3, even after I select 'Core Only' under properties.

So I remux to m2ts, which is a real hassle because you can't just drag and drop the mkv's into tsmuxer and remux because it says certain tracks are not recognized, like always its the PGS subs or True-HD audio for some reason. Therefore I have to demux to video, audio, PGS, and chapters and then add all but the chapter files one by one into ts muxer which only then recognizes the files and remux to m2ts. 10 episodes per season and having to do this for each episode rots.

After all that is said and done I can re-encode the audio successfully to whatever I want, except stereo. I still have absolutely no idea how to re-encode to stereo, is it even possible? Selecting 'downmix to stereo for Viera mode' does nothing in the way of converting multi-channel audio to stereo. It's not a huge deal but I haven't been able to do it in any sort of way. Probably missing something...

The subtitles are what is really tricky. I made 2 subtitle tracks for this particular show, the first is the non-english forced PGS file and the second is the full english PGS file. This is how they are stored within my mkv files. So upon playback through XBMC or MPC or whatever, the non-english playback by default. When remuxing these into a m2ts file it seems they lose that forced flag or default flag. If I convert straight away with no subtitle options checked they are not showing up on output to BD. I can extract and add as external and they still wont show up. I can hard burn in the subs just fine if I want to by transcoding and selecting 'hard burn first external sub' and that works but that would conflict with the full subs and the full subs aren't showing up anyway. Selecting 'force display of first subtitle track will not work either because not all episodes have non-english dialogue.

These problems are seriously frustrating and I'm probably missing some things but when I can get this program to work the way I want it is truly fantastic and great, however, getting to the results I'm after is a serious challenge sometimes. If anyone else has any of these issues please chime in because I feel like I'm the only one and I'm somewhat savvy with this tool, or at least I though I was. I still have to see if this is applies to some other movies or TV shows I have.

Really, for free this tool can't be beat and I sound like I'm whining, and I am a bit, but I'm grateful to have it. So, still a kudos to dean, wherever the hell you are lol
buffalofloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 07:43   #7837  |  Link
DoctorM

Has development stopped? It's been nearly 2 years since an update? Is that right?
Old 9th April 2014, 18:21   #7838  |  Link
buffalofloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Has development stopped? It's been nearly 2 years since an update? Is that right?
Last update was July 2012 I believe, so yeah... my money is on this being a completely dead tool, which is a crying shame. If I had the brains or know-how to create a tool like this I would. I think this is the only one of it's kind too, that's free anyway.
buffalofloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 06:37   #7839  |  Link
DoctorM

Making menus today for an AVCHD project. Source is BD derived .MPLS's (and the .M2TS files they link).
I'm finding that some of the pages of the menu don't work. (It's slide menu, but just flip pages because of strict AVCHD.)

The first try had 5 titles in the menu, the 5th menu page just won't appear. The screen shows whatever was last on the screen (going forward or backward). I can click forward and back through it, even play the clip, but the image for the page just isn't there.

On my PC, the menu page's .m2ts is there and appears to be intact. Playing the .MPLS file associated with it only gives a blank screen though.

On my second build I added a sixth title. Now the first and last page do this.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Since the first title card should have been identical between the two projects, I copied to working 80010.m2ts over the broken one and now the .MPLS works. So it is definitely a problem in the .m2ts file, no where else. I shame I can't do that for the last page.

Edit 2: I did a work around. Created two more versions. One with the last title first and one with the first title last. I then copied a couple .m2ts from these into the first folder in a way that the first and last titles now show the card for the wraparound title.
It's not as pretty but it works.

Another question. Is there a way to hide a title's last chapter in the menu? In a lot of cases the last chapter tends to be the very end and doesn't need to be selectable in the chapter menu. Don't say 'just delete the last chapter'. :-)

Last edited by DoctorM; 20th April 2014 at 09:51.
Old 20th April 2014, 16:23   #7840  |  Link
Music Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Is there a way to hide a title's last chapter in the menu?
I don't know if there is a simple solution but here is something you could try (not sure it will work) : export your project twice ;
-the first with all chapters
-the second with nearly all chapters (all except the last for each title).
Then, mix both projects :
-keep the titles and mpls files with all chapters from the first export
-keep the menus with nearly all chapters from the second export.
Music Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avchd, blu-ray hd-dvd, mkv, multiavchd, re-author