Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th July 2015, 20:05   #31641  |  Link
Braum

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Did you try SVP?
I would love to have a quality interpolation algo in madvR in the future myself.
Yeah I also tried AMD Fluid Motion, Interframe (which use svpflow), dmitrirender.

Interframe, dmitrirender and AMD Fluid Motion are great but I would love an integration in madvr.
Something of great quality based on madshi experience and user feedback.
Braum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 21:09   #31642  |  Link
Mano

Sub was late so i downloaded raw. Then i notice in the subbed version there are shudders when camera move while there no such thing in the raw file.

I cut it with [ffmpeg -i shudder.mkv -ss 00:04:20.0 -c copy -t 00:00:08.0 cut.mkv] (not sure if this is the correct command to preserve everything).

shudder (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_...ew?usp=sharing)
no shudder (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_...ew?usp=sharing)

So is it my side problem or the encoder?
Mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 23:03   #31643  |  Link
tFWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Sorry about the image size, I don't know how to crop always exactly the same pixels.
However, I could do this in future if someone explained this to me.
I use GIMP for this.

Printscreen -> Paste the first image

Change madVR settings

Printscreen again -> Paste as NEW LAYER over the first one

Repeat if necessary.

Check if all layers are selected. Crop.

Now select each layer separately. "Copy visible" each one and paste as NEW IMAGE.

Export each image as PNG.
tFWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 23:09   #31644  |  Link
aufkrawall

I just tried a bit around with AdaptiveSharpen vs. FineSharp as upscaling refinements, and I have to say that I now understand why some people describe FineSharp as pure destruction.
It increases ringing in a very unpleasant way, but you need need a lot of strength to make it actually sharpen things noticeably.
With AdaptiveSharpen, you can use much smaller values and it will really sharpen areas which actually need the sharpen. It also doesn't suffer by ringing like FS in LL.
Some textures still get brighter, but probably this is how sharpen just works to some degree?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2015, 23:30   #31645  |  Link
JarrettH

Maybe not everyone's source needs sharpening or there is no detail to bring out
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 00:17   #31646  |  Link
AngelGraves13

I'm really liking super-xbr at 50 for chroma and image doubling with bilinear upscaling/downscaling. Upscaling DVDs with Jinc AR looks pretty terrible, but Bilinear hides the source artifacts quite well. Sharpness is nice, but not if it makes the videos look worse.

I'm basing this on watching Batman: The Animated Series.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 11th July 2015 at 00:21.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 01:12   #31647  |  Link
aufkrawall

Thanks, tFWo. Will try it out.

Phew, I'm not really good in judging quality of SuperRes for filmed material. I'm lacking samples for which I'd really know at what I'd have to pay attention to.
At least I wouldn't choose algo 2 because of the softness and between 1 and 3, I don't see a real difference with 720p content I've quickly thrown at it. But since 1 tends to make some colors to bright with cartoons, maybe there's no good reason not to use 3?

New SuperRes still improves sharpness with the corresponding parameters, I don't agree that the image would look "dirty" with it.

It's neat to improve the result with any non-NNEDI3 scaler for filmed material. But I honestly rather use NNEDI3 + AS.
Old 11th July 2015, 03:20   #31648  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgical View Post
Greetings to all:
I'm connected via HDMI to a TV Sony KDL 32EX-500 (Bravia Engine 3) that, if I'm not mistaken, does'nt support 0-255 (although I'm not sure if this TV Works internally the signal in limited RGB or YCbCr)
It is correct my config ?
Thank you all in advance
I scanned through the users guide (https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL32F...X500-EX501.pdf) and although no mention was made specifically of a 'full range RGB' setting I did note the presence of an analogue 'VESA' RGB compliant connection for a PC which implies full range RGB. Now this may not be the case with HDMI unless so noted. In the end most all displays utilize RGB to the final display processing stage.

I have a run-of-the-mill (KDL40w3000) 8 YO 40" Sony Bravia and it provides selection of either full range or limited RGB under "Video Options">"RGB Dynamic Range" for each of the HDMI inputs. YMMV

Last edited by MistahBonzai; 11th July 2015 at 03:38.
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 04:19   #31649  |  Link
JarrettH

When image doubling, does chroma upscaling happen before chroma doubling?

In that case, would the chain look like...

chroma > super-xbr (chroma upscaling) > super-xbr (chroma doubling)

Last edited by JarrettH; 11th July 2015 at 04:47.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 06:29   #31650  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano View Post
Anyone see any improvement with AMD Catalyst 15.7 compare to 13.12?
Nope... just tried 15.7 and madVR can still push my GPU further with 13.12

QB
Old 11th July 2015, 10:31   #31651  |  Link
surgical
Dopax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
I scanned through the users guide (https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL32F...X500-EX501.pdf) and although no mention was made specifically of a 'full range RGB' setting I did note the presence of an analogue 'VESA' RGB compliant connection for a PC which implies full range RGB. Now this may not be the case with HDMI unless so noted. In the end most all displays utilize RGB to the final display processing stage.

I have a run-of-the-mill (KDL40w3000) 8 YO 40" Sony Bravia and it provides selection of either full range or limited RGB under "Video Options">"RGB Dynamic Range" for each of the HDMI inputs. YMMV
Thanks for your comments
Yes............................. I'd also taken into account that information but , unfortunately , don't have that option ; I mean , it doesn't allow me the space color change in the HDMI inputs . What's more, it doesn't indicate what space color are using that HDMI input............... simply says "not available for the current input"
Greetings
surgical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 13:02   #31652  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Some more NNEDI3 vs super-xbr doubling test. Sorry about the image size, I don't know how to crop always exactly the same pixels.
However, I could do this in future if someone explained this to me.
720p -> WQHD, Jinc3AR chroma

super-xbr 100 is sharper than NNEDI3 64, but ringing gets more obvious and lines aren't as clean.
NNEDI3 64:

super-xbr 100:

With AdaptiveSharpen of 0.2 as an upscaling refinement for NNEDI3, the image still looks natural and clean, but is sharper than super-xbr 100 without sharpen:

Edit: as a reference, the original frame:
http://abload.de/img/frame6ro6g.png

I also notice the worse line reconstruction of super-xbr e.g. with clothes of news speakers.
Even though it's "just" doubling, the advantage of NNEDI3 is already noticeable.
I see better detail retention with super-xbr, in the windows, no matter the ringing, sometimes ringing is part of the source. Windows have much more detail
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 13:34   #31653  |  Link
aufkrawall

True. But without comparison, one will probably never notice this, contrary to the unstable lines of super-xbr.
Old 11th July 2015, 13:53   #31654  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
I see better detail retention with super-xbr, in the windows, no matter the ringing, sometimes ringing is part of the source. Windows have much more detail
And that's the reason why i stick to S-XBR, I think S-XBR is the most HTPC friendly algo among the rest.

In my opinion when building an HTPC Performance should come first before quality, since running Full NNEDI3 renders gpu to run at its fullest and depending on the gpu cooler, noise problems. And thankfully S-XBR was created to cater for many HTPC's that don't have powerful gpu's. and It seems NNEDI3 consumes alot of GPU load for less obvious improvement in picture quality over S-XBR which oozes with efficiency and better detail retention.

Unless one enjoys looking at static picture just to notice a minute improvement of NNEDI3 then by all means. enjoy staring.
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 14:04   #31655  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
Prefer NNEDI3 in that example, more natural.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 14:15   #31656  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
Unless one enjoys looking at static picture just to notice a minute improvement of NNEDI3 then by all means. enjoy staring.
Unnecessary trolling, the differences can be seen in motion instantly.
Old 11th July 2015, 15:11   #31657  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

After quite a bit of fiddling today, I think there's no free lunch to be expected. Many sources come with ringing to begin with and yeah, if you magnify it it will become more obvious...sxbr digs more than NNEDI3 IMHO and as a result also rings more, I currently run sxbr50 with SR(3 passes, 0.65 sharpness, 0.01 softness) and it's working really well IME in mVR .15, OTOH 0.00 softness looks too edgy to my taste.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 19:21   #31658  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Suggestion: Could we have a checkbox for image enhancement to just enable it if no luma upscaling is applied?
This would be useful to prevent sharpening of sharpening artifacts when also using it as an upscaling refinement.
I think it would be neat to help NNEDI3 with AdaptiveSharpen, but I don't want it combined AdaptiveSharpen of image enhancements, which on the other hand is neat to fight chroma blur a bit.
A workaround is to make profile with source and target dimension as scalefactor seem to be a little wonky. Since the profile can't use parameter compare to parameter now(say source width<target width), it can be a little cumbersome, but you can make it work.

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 19:33   #31659  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I'll reply to all your posts later. For now I would just like to share a new test build, using a tweaked SuperRes algorithm:

http://madshi.net/madVR8816b.rar

SuperRes image quality should generally be slightly better than in the official v0.88.16 build, furthermore I've added an anti-ringing filter which should noticeably reduce ringing artifacts introduced by SuperRes. I hope that the anti-ringing filter will allow us to use algo 2, which is my favorite algorithm, but didn't work well due to the added ringing artifacts in v0.88.16. FWIW, if I had to decide on final SuperRes configuration right now, it would be this:

- algo = 2
- use alternative color space = off
- low: strength=0.5; passes=1
- medium: strength=1.0; passes=1
- high: strength=1.0; passes=2
- ultra: strength=1.0; passes=4

Would like to have your feedback about this. If you believe that the above settings are a totally bad idea, please let me know. Ideally with a small sample which shows that other settings work much better. Or if you like my settings, please let me know, too. Thanks!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2015, 20:02   #31660  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
When image doubling, does chroma upscaling happen before chroma doubling?

In that case, would the chain look like...

chroma > super-xbr (chroma upscaling) > super-xbr (chroma doubling)
Yes, it works just like that.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling