Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd August 2019, 19:31   #181  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand the test case: you mentioned passthrough as well. So, does it only happen with madvr's pixeslhader?
I'm saying that there is a pretty big difference with saturated colors depending on the color format you send to the TV (RGB or YCbCr) and I don't understand why and I don't know which one is correct.

This is with regular HDR passthrough, so no madVR tone mapping involved...
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:31   #182  |  Link
chros

MadVR HDR DTM test on LG OLED

The purpose of this test to compare HDR passthrough (with and without LG's DTM) to madvr's tonemapping with "Output video in HDR format".

Prerequisities:
- use "Cinema" preset (not Cinema Home) for HDR10 content on the TV
-- if this preset isn't calibrated then reset it and turn off every unnecessary processing
- download the test video files (~5.6 GB) from mega.nz
-- there are 10 files all together: 2 files in 4 categories (below 760 / 1000 / 4000 / 10000 nits) and 2 others
- download madVRhdrMeasure86 and use the settings attached to this post
-- create "ShowHdrMode" empty directory in madvr directory (to display more HDR related stats in OSD)
-- it's based on Neo-XP's quoted values (note he uses an OLED that doesn't have HDR)
-- "highlight recovery strength" is set to very high (are you nuts setting produce artifacts sometimes)
-- "apply dynamic clipping" is turned on and only set to 25! (above it clips lot of things and confuses scene detection)
-- "no compression limit" 100 supposed to mean that madvr doesn't touch content in 0-100 nits
-- "dynamic tuning" 50 results in more vivid image (compared to default 75)
-- I'm not sure about "maximal target nits" value
-- and I don't know anything about the tons of option at the bottom

Testing:
- compare every clip in:
-- passthrough without LG's DTM
-- pixeshader without LG's DTM
-- passthrough with LG's DTM
- look out for:
-- madvr's tonemapping values in OSD
-- quality of the image
-- potential sharpness differences
- the 2 clips below 760 nits are interesting: take a look how madvr behaves

Happy testing!

Last edited by chros; 4th November 2019 at 16:19.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:33   #183  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
24x5=120... So nothing to blend... As far as I understand smoothmotion
Smooth motion does not work that way. When enabled it always blends to perfectly match the refresh rate, it does not delay the first frame presentation for a screen update. It always does a weighted blend perfectly timed to the screen refresh. The three options are used to control this behavior but if says enabled in the OSD it is always blending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Also, on a different subject, does using Smooth Motion in madVR improve 24fps material playback with regard to motion resolution? Theoretically the frames updating on the screen would be 120 and not 24, which should make things better for a sample and hold display. And with 120 frames to work with, blurring should be minimal, right?
I do like smooth motion for 24 fps on OLEDs, the very quick sample and hold looks better with the blends between frames. Especially for content without motion blur, like Anime. This is at only 60 Hz too, at 120 Hz I just use smooth motion all the time.

This does not help motion resolution at all, smooth motion can only make motion resolution worse. As a technology smooth motion trades some motion resolution for smoothness, but at 120 Hz the loss in motion resolution is negligible (the increase in smoothness is less significant as well).
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:36   #184  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
This was the part that wasn't clear, thanks, I'll check it during the weekend as well.
Old 22nd August 2019, 23:19   #185  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
I'm saying that there is a pretty big difference with saturated colors depending on the color format you send to the TV (RGB or YCbCr) and I don't understand why and I don't know which one is correct.

I've noticed this before, as well, and I don't know what is going on there. The color format should NOT make a difference. I never knew how to measure it before now, but, it was quite clear in the picture that it's different when switching between them. HTPC users are going to say RGB is correct. However, most consumer equipment is going to drive the signal with YCbCr so, I don't know what's "correct" in this case. It's very strange though. I should check the UB820 in RGB mode and see if it does the same thing to rule out other potential causes of the issue.
Old 22nd August 2019, 23:31   #186  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I should check the UB820 in RGB mode and see if it does the same thing to rule out other potential causes of the issue.
Can the UB820 output both? RGB and YCbCr?

It would be interesting if it produces the same difference between RGB and YCbCr as a pc does. Just make sure to turn every tone mapping or picture enhancements off.

Try it especially with the red pattern from here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...DUewbFsSXY1r8p
Old 22nd August 2019, 23:37   #187  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Found another really strange behavior of the C8 using the HDR color clipping test pattern from here:

There is a big difference of clipping points with certain colors depending on the color format output.
It's especially noticeable with red and green. I used passthrough HDR and levels were of course set correctly.

Red:
RGB full/limited - clips at ~590
YCbCr 444/422 - clips at ~820

Green:
RGB full/limited - clips at ~780
YCbCr 444/422 - clips at ~590

With other colors the difference wasn't that big but what's really strange is that red clips much earlier with RGB output but with green it's the opposite, it clips much earlier with YCbCr. These big differences can't be minor color conversion rounding errors right? Anyone able to confirm or explain this??
YCbCr and RGB are different color spaces of different sizes. I don't think that explains a large difference in color clipping, though. YCbCr converted to RGB is slightly larger than PC RGB converted to display RGB.

RGB untouched by madVR and presented in PC mode should be the most accurate rendition without having to account for any errors by the GPU conversion to YCbCr or the display using the wrong color matrix for RGB to YCbCr 4:2:2 to RGB.

Last edited by Warner306; 22nd August 2019 at 23:41.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 23:41   #188  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
That's correct. As we saw above, there are 3 tone curves implemented in 8 series (just like the 3 modifiable ones in 9 series). And by setting 760 nits in madvr the less aggressive is used but what it means in reality is another question. Not to mention the tons of options that can be changed in madVRhdrMeasure86

I'll upload some selected clips later for those who wants to compare the result with pure passthrough (+ DTM).
It might be worth asking for the original BT.2390 tone curve as an option for HDR output. Someone stated in the madVR thread that the version of BT.2390 tone curve used by madVR is the same one used by DisplayCal with a modified curve shape at the top end. This retains more specular highlight detail but leaves less luminance for the highlights compared to the original BT.2390 curve. I think the version used by madVR was picked because it works well for HDR to SDR tone mapping.

This could just be hearsay, but the poster is knowledgeable about DisplayCal curves.
Old 22nd August 2019, 23:45   #189  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
The purpose of this test to compare HDR passthrough (with and without LG's DTM) to madvr's tonemapping with "Output video in HDR format".

Prerequisities:
-- there are 8 files all together: 2 files in 4 categories (below 760 / 1000 / 4000 / 10000 nits)
-- it's based on Neo-XP's quoted values (note he uses an OLED that doesn't have HDR)
-- "highlight recovery strength" is none on purpose (Neo-XP suggested it)
-- "apply dynamic clipping" is turned on and only set to 25! (above it clips lot of things and confuses scene detection)
-- "no compression limit" 100 supposed to mean that madvr doesn't touch content in 0-100 nits

Testing:
- compare every clip in:
- look out for:
-- quality of the image

Happy testing!
Some of NEO-XPs values would only apply to HDR to SDR tone mapping.
Old 23rd August 2019, 00:23   #190  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Can the UB820 output both? RGB and YCbCr?

It would be interesting if it produces the same difference between RGB and YCbCr as a pc does. Just make sure to turn every tone mapping or picture enhancements off.

Try it especially with the red pattern from here:
It can indeed. That thing is a beast. I'll see if I can get to that this weekend when I have more time to play around.
Old 23rd August 2019, 00:25   #191  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It might be worth asking for the original BT.2390 tone curve as an option for HDR output. Someone stated in the madVR thread that the version of BT.2390 tone curve used by madVR is the same one used by DisplayCal with a modified curve shape at the top end. This retains more specular highlight detail but leaves less luminance for the highlights compared to the original BT.2390 curve. I think the version used by madVR was picked because it works well for HDR to SDR tone mapping.

This could just be hearsay, but the poster is knowledgeable about DisplayCal curves.
I think that's why they worked on the Highlight strength recovery option because you do indeed lose a bit of luminance with madvr's tone mapping. I crank that option to Are you nuts? for that very reason.
Old 23rd August 2019, 00:28   #192  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
And a lot of them are only going to apply to the live algorithm, as well. I tend to not use the live algo myself and instead prefer to create measurement files. The improvemenets in the live algo have been remarkable, but, you are exactly right in that they seem to be more targeted to HDR->SDR. That's not to say you COULDN'T use them with HDR output, I suppose.
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:24   #193  |  Link
j82k

Quote:

RGB untouched by madVR and presented in PC mode should be the most accurate
rendition without having to account for any errors by the GPU conversion to YCbCr or the display using the wrong color matrix for RGB to YCbCr 4:2:2 to RGB.
Should yes, but this is an LG TV.

RGB + PC mode + HDR is like the worst combination and produces terrible banding on the C8.
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:47   #194  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:

Prerequisities:
-- there are 8 files all together: 2 files in 4 categories (below 760 / 1000 / 4000 / 10000 nits)
-- "highlight recovery strength" is none on purpose (Neo-XP suggested it)

Testing:
- compare every clip in:
- look out for:
-- quality of the image

Happy testing!
I've tested with the clips and got to the same conclusions, have an LG C8.
Changing "dynamic tuning" has no effect for me.

With target nits at 760, passthrough looks the same as pixel shaders for clips that are around 1000 nits.
In the John Wick clip, the lights on the ambulance get a bit brighter using passthrough and LG DTM but no highlight detail loss.

For the 'The Meg' clip, there's clipping with both passthrough and pixel shaders (LG DTM on/off as well) with your settings.
Had posted about this here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...74#post1882574

Can be fixed with "maximal target nits" at 760. With that, there's more highlight detail resolved with LG DTM ON.

In Max Max: Fury Road, using passthrough causes specular highlights to become grey (reflection on the car) while pixel shaders keep it white.
That's about it, there's not much difference on that one.

About LG's DTM, overall it seems to be better to keep highlight detail but in lower brightness scenes, it acts like madVR's "apply dynamic clipping" and makes midtones brighter.

However for some reason my WB 20 points show 669 and 1023 all the time so something might be wrong on my side.
Sometimes it's at 713, and everything looks fine when sending 2000 nits to the display instead of clipping though.
Edit:
Yep, with passthrough I can get it to switch to 713 when resending metadata.
With pixel shaders, it doesn't seem to switch at all with the dynamic target nits.
Sadly going back to 385.28 did not fix it, still sticks to 669 even though madVR tonemaps to 2000 nits.

Last edited by quietvoid; 23rd August 2019 at 02:39.
quietvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:30   #195  |  Link
chros

Quote:
RGB untouched by madVR and presented in PC mode should be the most accurate
Quote:
Should yes, but this is an LG TV.
@jk82 is right, LG does some crazy things, e.g. there's no proper chroma 4:4:4 in PC mode at 4k resolution (and this is just 1 example). It seems it's more important for them to work on ABL algos than picture quality

Quote:
RGB + PC mode + HDR is like the worst combination and produces terrible banding on the C8.
Yes, but that's what I am using

Quote:
I think that's why they worked on the Highlight strength recovery option because you do indeed lose a bit of luminance with madvr's tone mapping. I crank that option to Are you nuts? for that very reason.
Nep_XP stated that currently it does more harm than good, since it was implemented back then when DTM wasn't in madvr yet, hence he disabled it.

Quote:
Which ones? (But I don't think so, see below.)

Quote:
I tend to not use the live algo myself and instead prefer to create measurement files. The improvemenets in the live algo have been remarkable, but, you are exactly right in that they seem to be more targeted to HDR->SDR.
But that's the same for measurement files as well. Only 1 guy had 200 nits screen, Neo-XP's 150 nits, Manni's 135 nits, all the others are way less (even 50 nits)!
What nits setting did you use when created your measurement files?

Not to mention that's exactly what we want to do as well - the only diff is the way higher nits setting -, the problem is we can't disable the TV's tonemapping.

But if you insist, you can quickly create measurement files for the uploaded clips as well. But in that case post a screenshot of your settings, please.

Quote:
This retains more specular highlight detail but leaves less luminance for the highlights compared to the original BT.2390 curve. I think the version used by madVR was picked because it works well for HDR to SDR tone mapping.
Well, I don't think it's worth it, there's only minimal difference between passthrough and pixelshader (see below).
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:16   #196  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
Yep, with passthrough I can get it to switch to 713 when resending metadata.
With pixel shaders, it doesn't seem to switch at all with the dynamic target nits.
Sadly going back to 385.28 did not fix it, still sticks to 669 even though madVR tonemaps to 2000 nits.
Strange it works fine here, even when I switch between passthrough and pixelshader (I haven't noticed this before).
Which player do you use? I use MPC-BE / HC.

Quote:
Changing "dynamic tuning" has no effect for me.
Indeed, I don't see any difference between 50 and 200 (not even in numbers in OSD), and there was a huge diff when I used madmeasure78 with SDR TV.
Maybe the bottom scene detection values, or did it get broken?

Quote:
With target nits at 760, passthrough looks the same as pixel shaders for clips that are around 1000 nits.
That's what I noticed as well, if there's any difference at all.

Quote:
In the John Wick clip, the lights on the ambulance get a bit brighter using passthrough and LG DTM but no highlight detail loss.
Same here.

Quote:
For the 'The Meg' clip, there's clipping with both passthrough and pixel shaders (LG DTM on/off as well) with your settings.
Had posted about this here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...74#post1882574

Can be fixed with "maximal target nits" at 760. With that, there's more highlight detail resolved with LG DTM ON.
Thanks, I'll modify the "maximal target nits" to 760, and I'll update the settings screenshot.

Quote:
In Max Max: Fury Road, using passthrough causes specular highlights to become grey (reflection on the car) while pixel shaders keep it white.
That's about it, there's not much difference on that one.
Good spot! I haven't noticed it. And this one is a 10000 nits title.

Quote:
About LG's DTM, overall it seems to be better to keep highlight detail but in lower brightness scenes, it acts like madVR's "apply dynamic clipping" and makes midtones brighter.
Does "apply dynamic clipping"? I haven't noticed it. Which clip(s) and when?
It should modify the protected 0-100 nits range.
Note that this option is broken since the beginning and madshi didn't fixed it yet, hence the lower 25 value is used. Maybe lowering it helps? 15/10?

Although I only tested 3 of them but there's not much difference between passthrough (without DTM) and pixelshader at 760 nits.

Last edited by chros; 23rd August 2019 at 09:48.
Old 23rd August 2019, 09:56   #197  |  Link
chros

I added to the above test requirements the following:
- TV settings
- create "ShowHdrMode" empty directory in madvr directory (to display more HDR related stats in OSD)

Just checked the 2 clips (Hunger Games and Alita) that are under 760 nits with pixelshader:
- measured and tonemapped nit values are not always the same
- why? I thought if the content is below the set 760 nits then it shouldn't modify it.
- maybe because of the scene detection algo ...
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:26   #198  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Found another really strange behavior of the C8 using the HDR color clipping test pattern from here:

There is a big difference of clipping points with certain colors depending on the color format output.
It's especially noticeable with red and green. I used passthrough HDR and levels were of course set correctly.

Red:
RGB full/limited - clips at ~590
YCbCr 444/422 - clips at ~820

Green:
RGB full/limited - clips at ~780
YCbCr 444/422 - clips at ~590
The result on B8 using PC mode, 12 bit output and HDR passthrough (I only compared RGB full vs YCbCr422), there's definitely a big difference between the two.

Code:
        RGB full  YCbCr422
white:    860       1000
red:      530       500
green:    820       710
blue:     900       530
cyan:     820       740
magenta:  780       740
yellow:   820       1000
Note: on my B8 HDR10 Cinema preset is *not* calibrated, everything is at its default setting.

Last edited by chros; 23rd August 2019 at 10:29.
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:16   #199  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but that's what I am using
Seriously how can you tolerate that?

I just tried pc-mode HDR again a few days ago. Played the UHD of Brightburn, skipped to some dark scene and it looked like some low bitrate TV broadcast. Even turning madVR's 'reduce banding artifacts" to high didn't make it any better, which makes sense as the banding wasn't in the source but was produced by the TV.
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:44   #200  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:

But that's the same for measurement files as well. Only 1 guy had 200 nits screen, Neo-XP's 150 nits, Manni's 135 nits, all the others are way less (even 50 nits)!

What nits setting did you use when created your measurement files?

Not to mention that's exactly what we want to do as well - the only diff is the way higher nits setting -, the problem is we can't disable the TV's tonemapping.

But if you insist, you can quickly create measurement files for the uploaded clips as well. But in that case post a screenshot of your settings, please.
You are confused I'm afraid. Your question about what nit setting I used tells me so. You're talking about soulnights measurement modification tool. I am not. His tool is used to dynamically change the measurement file for those doing HDR to SDR. That's not what I want. I create the measurement file with madvr and do not touch it. This is very different then what the dynamic algo guys are doing. I agree with neo-xp about his settings for the dynamic algo but I've been using straight measurement files unmessed with since they were added to drive my HDR output.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk