Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 21st June 2017, 01:10   #26061  |  Link
Lathe

I suppose keeping the full menu structure isn't absolutely necessary. Normally, in most cases I just use BDRB and import the segments and use it's own menu. It's just that in this case, there are quite a few Xtras, so it would be CONVENIENT to be able to keep the menu structure if possible. I know JD is rolling his eyes right about now saying, 'Just compress the whole disc already!'

That's probably what I will do. Just would have been interesting to figure out how to do it.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 02:11   #26062  |  Link
gonca

Try a full disc back up with quicker encode for extras. Adjust the crf used for the extras until the episode fits without encoding
This should keep the menu
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 02:23   #26063  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Try a full disc back up with quicker encode for extras. Adjust the crf used for the extras until the episode fits without encoding
This should keep the menu
Gonca, I really love you man, but you are repeating yourself mate

You already suggested that I think in your first post, but I mentioned in reply that I don't understand how to 'adjust the CRF for the extras' If you can explain to me how to do that, that would be great, thanks!

*** EDIT

Wait! YES, actually, sorry, I DO remember now how to do that. I set the ini for is it 'alternate crf' or something like that. Right now, I think I have it set for 24.

So, what you are saying is that for me just to go ahead and do the re-encode and then if the episode isn't passed through untouched (or close to that) then set the alternate CRF for like 28 or something like that and then do it again...?

Last edited by Lathe; 21st June 2017 at 02:25.
Old 21st June 2017, 02:27   #26064  |  Link
Lathe

Oh, here we go! Is it this setting:

QUICK_CRF=24
Old 21st June 2017, 02:33   #26065  |  Link
Lathe

Ah crumb! There is one hitch though dang it! There is ONE Xtra that actually is larger than the one episode. The episode is about 7.x Gigs and the one Xtra is about 11 Gigs. Dang! Is there a way to flag the episode as the main title or tell BDRB that the 11 Gig segment is an Xtra...?

I bet not...
Old 21st June 2017, 02:39   #26066  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Ah crumb! There is one hitch though dang it! There is ONE Xtra that actually is larger than the one episode. The episode is about 7.x Gigs and the one Xtra is about 11 Gigs. Dang! Is there a way to flag the episode as the main title or tell BDRB that the 11 Gig segment is an Xtra...?

I bet not...
As far as I know, you win the bet
Old 21st June 2017, 02:43   #26067  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
As far as I know, you win the bet
Thanks...
Old 21st June 2017, 02:43   #26068  |  Link
gonca

Actually, try loading the disc into BD_RB
The section that is expanded, shows audio subs etc, does it show the episode or the large extra
Old 21st June 2017, 02:45   #26069  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Actually, try loading the disc into BD_RB
The section that is expanded, shows audio subs etc, does it show the episode or the large extra
Hmmm, I'll do it again and check that...
Old 21st June 2017, 02:46   #26070  |  Link
Lathe

Yeah... the expanded one is the 11 Gig segment. You'd kind of THINK, maybe, that BDRB would select the main title with the HD audio, but I guess the bigger size is usually correct.
Old 21st June 2017, 03:15   #26071  |  Link
Lathe

Heh, it's SO close too, in a way... In 'Movie Only' there is a choice of 'Other Main Movie' playlist. Now, if in 'Full Backup' mode, there was SOME bloody way also to choose 'Another Main Movie' playlist, that would be perfect!

Hmmm, one thing I could TRY is to extract the 11 Gig Xtra and using x264 go ahead and shrink it by itself to say 2 Gigs or whatever. Then, re-insert that new, smaller m2ts back into and replace the original within the whole BD structure, THEN try opening that altered full structure into BDRB and see if it 'buys' it...

Last edited by Lathe; 21st June 2017 at 03:19.
Old 21st June 2017, 08:23   #26072  |  Link
Lathe

Well, it LOOKS like it is working. I took the 11 Gig Xtra and used BDRB at a CRF of 24 to bring it down to about 2.6 Gigs, changed the name of the resulting m2ts file to the original name (number) and swapped the new, smaller file back in the structure in place of the 11 Gig original. BDRB then SEEMED to accept the new structure. So, now the 'movie' file is shown to be the actual 7.x Gig episode, with everything else being Xtras. Then, I reloaded the new (and improved) structure back into BDRB and am now reprocessing it. So far, no errors or anything. So, we'll see if the resulting product (1) has left the episode it's original size, and (2) see if the bloody thing actually plays correctly!
Old 21st June 2017, 09:46   #26073  |  Link
MrVideo

I suspected that what you were going to do was going to work. Why? Because you weren't going to play the new structure in a BD software, or hardware, player.

BDRB, on the other hand, just sees them as files.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 09:49   #26074  |  Link
musiclover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Well, it LOOKS like it is working. I took the 11 Gig Xtra and used BDRB at a CRF of 24 to bring it down to about 2.6 Gigs, changed the name of the resulting m2ts file to the original name (number) and swapped the new, smaller file back in the structure in place of the 11 Gig original. BDRB then SEEMED to accept the new structure. So, now the 'movie' file is shown to be the actual 7.x Gig episode, with everything else being Xtras. Then, I reloaded the new (and improved) structure back into BDRB and am now reprocessing it. So far, no errors or anything. So, we'll see if the resulting product (1) has left the episode it's original size, and (2) see if the bloody thing actually plays correctly!
If it is not working, maybe this will help you
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...11#post1678011
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 20:53   #26075  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I suspected that what you were going to do was going to work. Why? Because you weren't going to play the new structure in a BD software, or hardware, player.

BDRB, on the other hand, just sees them as files.
Well, when I get chance, I will burn to disc and see if that works. After re-encoding last night, I checked the log this morning (I always make a nice big log in the morning... ) cough..., sorry... anyway I checked the log in the morning and sure enough the last episode file was passed through (see, same idea...) untouched.

So, if it burns okay that hopefully should be it. Like I say, if it comes down to it, honestly, if I simply have to do a full disc backup set at 'High' 2 pass with tweaks like I normally do for larger films, and with a fast encode for Xtras, I'm sure that will be just fine...

We'll see...
Old 21st June 2017, 20:54   #26076  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
Wow, good find mate! Thanks kindly, but that is just a TAD over my pay grade, I'm afraid. I'll see if my bumbling so far has worked and go from there...
Old 21st June 2017, 21:26   #26077  |  Link
Lathe

YEP! It worked! and the SUPER compressed 1 1/2 hr Xtra along with everything else looks LOVELY!

I guess I'm a clever li'l B@stard after all...
Old 21st June 2017, 21:39   #26078  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
I always make a nice big log in the morning... and sure enough the last episode was passed through
@Lathe
Is this your main accomplishment for the day?
Old 22nd June 2017, 01:42   #26079  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
@Lathe
Is this your main accomplishment for the day?
Yep... and damn proud of it!
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:59   #26080  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
Ya, all those steps explain why, in a round about way, why you can't just drop a new M2TS file into a BD structure.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote