Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th July 2015, 18:32   #31861  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does it still occur with v0.88.19?
Yes.

Quote:
Does unchecking the "use a separate device for presentation" option help?
It already was unticked. I have now tested with ticked and unticked but it does not make a difference.

http://217.160.126.132/madVR%200.88.19_back_forth.7z
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 19:08   #31862  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
I've confused by the words "Still" and then "No problems in 0.88.17". The "Still" suggests the problem was there before and is "still" there. But then that contradacts "No problems in 0.88.17". Also, generally not enough information. GPU? OS? Does it occur with any video or just some? Do you get a madVR crash box? If so, I'd like to see the crash report.
With version 0.88.17 no problem, with versions 0.88.18 and 0.88.19 I have the problem. GTX 550 TI 353.30, win 7 64 ultimate. The problem only happens in Overlay mode (with builds 0.88.18, 0.88.19).Works fine in D3D9 windowed and fullscreen mode, also works in D3D11 modes.

Last edited by Siso; 16th July 2015 at 19:14.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 19:29   #31863  |  Link
James Freeman

Confirmed.
There is a problem with Overlay mode.

When there is any GUI text from mpc-hc like (Volume, Chapter, etc...) the downscaling is messed up; it looks like it stretched to 100% from the downscaled window.
As soon as the text is gone the downscaling works properly again.
Old 16th July 2015, 20:05   #31864  |  Link
dansrfe

Just curious, is Windows 10 capable of overlay mode with madVR?
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 20:30   #31865  |  Link
huhn

dx9 overlay mode works on windows 10. just tested with nvidia 353.50 and windows 10 10240
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 22:00   #31866  |  Link
Ceremony

I recently switch from stock Kodi to Kodi with DSPlayer, so that i can use madVR on my media center pc (AMD APU A10-7850K).

For some reason though, the GPU clock is stuck at its lowest speed. In my case 351MHz. It should however go up to 900MHz. I cannot use Jinc for upsampling, image doubling and any other advanced and demanding features... Anyone got a solution for this?
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 22:22   #31867  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I recently switch from stock Kodi to Kodi with DSPlayer, so that i can use madVR on my media center pc (AMD APU A10-7850K).

For some reason though, the GPU clock is stuck at its lowest speed. In my case 351MHz. It should however go up to 900MHz. I cannot use Jinc for upsampling, image doubling and any other advanced and demanding features... Anyone got a solution for this?
Wait for the next build of DSPlayer. It requires updates for the latest versions of madVR. It should be available within the next week.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 22:41   #31868  |  Link
Ceremony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Wait for the next build of DSPlayer. It requires updates for the latest versions of madVR. It should be available within the next week.
I don't think this is a DSPlayer issue actually. I just tried the latest madVR with MPC and I am running into the exact same issue: Stuck at a low frequency.
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 10:16   #31869  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
but even with madVR in these programs. madVR still can't do frame packed 3d.
Madshi, do you have any plans to integrate madVR in a 3D frame-packed support tool like PowerDVD?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 11:09   #31870  |  Link

Well I know that you're not taking feature requests, but I left things running overnight to generate a 3DLUT for my TV using CalMAN, which has noticeably improved color reproduction.
Unfortunately the way this is done is to oversaturate the display to get the gamut as wide as possible (color at 70/100) and then have the LUT correct the resulting errors.

Because I have to oversaturate the display for this, I have it set to a separate mode on my TV.
On this TV, there is a button to toggle between the PC/Movie modes, so it's easy enough to switch.
However this means that I can no longer watch videos in windowed mode (where I am less concerned about accuracy) because the LUT is greatly reducing the saturation of most colors since it is expecting the display to be at 70/100 in Movie mode rather than the 50/100 it is at in PC mode. It may not sound like a lot, but that's a big difference.

So it would be nice to either:
  1. Have a preference which only enables 3DLUTs in full-screen mode.
  2. Allow for profile support in the devices section of the madVR settings.
The latter would have many other uses.
For example, I have certain videos where I would want to enable different gamma settings, and it would be nice to use the very flexible profiling system to automate this.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 17:24   #31871  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
I've confused by the words "Still" and then "No problems in 0.88.17". The "Still" suggests the problem was there before and is "still" there.
Man, you surely had a bad day :) aside of programming it would be nice to learn some language comprehension, it would avoid the typical over-the-top harshness so common in today forums.

To give you some ontopic insights, let me list some further advises for the renderer:
-as I said add selecteable GPU renderer.
-less is more, get rid of placebo junk like all of the "upscaling refinement", one good sharpener is better than 4.
-Add a dumb "denoiser", I would never use one but I guess there are people that use the TV's denoiser so it's easy to add one better.
-Also get rid of ringing fest Jinc, and all the bicubic based (add "b" and "c" boxes for anyone to fill as replacement)
-remove deinterlacing, software deinterlacing is never going to replace offline deinterlacing. Better let TV deinterlace real-time.
-Profile groups for displays (asked before)
-Make a guide (what Ordered Dither, what Error Diffusion algo?, process chain?, adaptive sharpen?). hint: a thread is not a guide.

Last edited by Dogway; 17th July 2015 at 17:28.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 17:42   #31872  |  Link
KhR0N1K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Man, you surely had a bad day aside of programming it would be nice to learn some language comprehension, it would avoid the typical over-the-top harshness so common in today forums.

To give you some ontopic insights, let me list some further advises for the renderer:
-as I said add selecteable GPU renderer.
-less is more, get rid of placebo junk like all of the "upscaling refinement", one good sharpener is better than 4.
-Add a dumb "denoiser", I would never use one but I guess there are people that use the TV's denoiser so it's easy to add one better.
-Also get rid of ringing fest Jinc, and all the bicubic based (add "b" and "c" boxes for anyone to fill as replacement)
-remove deinterlacing, software deinterlacing is never going to replace offline deinterlacing. Better let TV deinterlace real-time.
-Profile groups for displays (asked before)
-Make a guide (what Ordered Dither, what Error Diffusion algo?, process chain?, adaptive sharpen?). hint: a thread is not a guide.
i do not agree.
KhR0N1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 17:53   #31873  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Man, you surely had a bad day aside of programming it would be nice to learn some language comprehension, it would avoid the typical over-the-top harshness so common in today forums.
What are you talking about!!! madshi is known for an absolutely friendly tone. More than you!
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 17:54   #31874  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
That was the most condescending drivel I've read in a while.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 17:55   #31875  |  Link
James Freeman

Careful Dogway you are pushing it, and in his own home.
Old 17th July 2015, 18:08   #31876  |  Link
Dogway

okey okey, looks like my appreciations are not welcome here (for some unexplained reasons -right KhR0N1K?, right Ver Greeneyes?, right madshi?-) nonetheless it's my ONTOPIC opinion, so please, everyone, stay ontopic.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 18:14   #31877  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

If you don't think your post sounded condescending, you should learn some language comprehension. But sure, I'll stop feeding the troll.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 18:37   #31878  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhR0N1K View Post
i do not agree.
What a pure trolling. I suggest to completely ignore him.

Well, hopefully a more constructive opinion:
In image doubling, maybe it should be named "double luma axis resolution" etc.?
E.g. in games rendering, you usually refer to the total amount of pixels when having a multiplicator. Of course you can define doubling the one way or the other, but giving a hint that it's meant for each axis sounds like a compromise to me that should make fans of both types content.
Maybe it would reduce confusion, as image doubling options are probably not easy to understand when you are new to madVR.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 18:40   #31879  |  Link
Akeno

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on the forums but I've been following this thread and reading threads on the forum for a few months. First off, thank you so much for all of your work madashi. You and the other developers on this forum helped awaken my interest in film and home theater playback.

With that out of the way, I have a few questions regarding madVR:
  1. How much does the monitor affect visual changes in rendering?
    I've played around with most, if not all, of the options in madVR but I can barely see a difference in some options. e.g. I see almost no difference between bilinear and jinc chroma upsampling or error diffusion and no dithering unless I lower the bit depth to something ridiculous. I mainly use a 15" laptop IPS display so I don't think it's the WORST choice out there but I just can't see a difference even staring closely.
  2. Will smooth motion work well with 23.976>60hz conversions or should I let reclock speed up video to 24fps and let smooth motion blend it to 60?
  3. SuperRes options are adjustable numerically rather than listed in presets.
    Updated to 88.18 but the madVR config remains unchanged. Not that it really matters. With NNEDI3, I saw absolutely no difference in SuperRes off and SuperRes 10pass 1.0 strength. It was more noticeable when using jinc or nedi.
  4. Previous versions of madVR had a slight increase in render times with d3d11 enabled but the current version actually lowered render times by a few milliseconds.
    Not really sure what d3d9 and d3d11 are but I also wouldn't expect performance to change when updating versions.

Sorry for the laundry list of questions but I'm really appreciative of everything on this forum.
Akeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 18:48   #31880  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on the forums but I've been following this thread and reading threads on the forum for a few months. First off, thank you so much for all of your work madashi. You and the other developers on this forum helped awaken my interest in film and home theater playback.

With that out of the way, I have a few questions regarding madVR:
  1. How much does the monitor affect visual changes in rendering?
    I've played around with most, if not all, of the options in madVR but I can barely see a difference in some options. e.g. I see almost no difference between bilinear and jinc chroma upsampling or error diffusion and no dithering unless I lower the bit depth to something ridiculous. I mainly use a 15" laptop IPS display so I don't think it's the WORST choice out there but I just can't see a difference even staring closely.
  2. Will smooth motion work well with 23.976>60hz conversions or should I let reclock speed up video to 24fps and let smooth motion blend it to 60?
  3. SuperRes options are adjustable numerically rather than listed in presets.
    Updated to 88.18 but the madVR config remains unchanged. Not that it really matters. With NNEDI3, I saw absolutely no difference in SuperRes off and SuperRes 10pass 1.0 strength. It was more noticeable when using jinc or nedi.
  4. Previous versions of madVR had a slight increase in render times with d3d11 enabled but the current version actually lowered render times by a few milliseconds.
    Not really sure what d3d9 and d3d11 are but I also wouldn't expect performance to change when updating versions.

Sorry for the laundry list of questions but I'm really appreciative of everything on this forum.
1. chroma upscaling is known to have little effect on real life material.
2. edit: nvm thought you said SVP, that wont make a difference.
3. people are working on it
4. does not matter ~~

most of the stuff go back to "judge with your own eye".
baii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling