Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd August 2015, 22:07   #32661  |  Link
tony359

Hi there,

I'd like to report a bug, I will try to reproduce it before reporting on the bugtracker.

I have two monitors always connected to a GeForce 460. A third device - a projector - is connected to the HDMI output. When I turn the projector on, my secondary monitor disconnects since the card only supports two monitors simultaneously.

What happened tonight, I wanted to load a 3Dlut file but when pressing APPLY I could not see any difference.

After a while I realised that my projector was in fact affected by my secondary monitor's settings. So I ended up setting a 3Dlut to my secondary monitor instead. When pressing APPLY I could see the colours changing.

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10, could that be the issue? I know this OS is not perfect at the moment.

I will try to replicate the problem, is there anything I can do to provide more useful information?
Thanks
Tony
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 03:20   #32662  |  Link
Asmodian

Did you turn on the projector after you started madVR?
Old 24th August 2015, 06:26   #32663  |  Link
tony359

Hi,
Mpc-hc was opened and the file pre-loaded but not playing. I then turn the projector on and played the file. I've done this before and never noticed this behavior, madvr would always recognise the monitor I was playing on.
I'll try again opening Mpc-hc after the projector had been switched on.
Thanks
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 10:21   #32664  |  Link
Razoola

I have a bit of an ask and of course its down to madshi. Would it be possible to have two separate madvr threads in the forum, one for windows 8/10 only and another for windows 7 down? Its getting a little confusing to try and read through what bugs are affecting what OS these days and it appears a lot of what is being reported is not related directly to madvr bugs.

In my view those with windows 10 issues should go back to windows 7 if they have that option open to them still.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 15:06   #32665  |  Link
foozoor

What's going on?

There are some speculations about the future of madVR.
Some people said that madVR would become a paid software or that madshi is on vacation.
Other people even said that madshi was dead and will be replaced by his evil twin.

We are not accustomed to not see a new madVR release each week.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 15:33   #32666  |  Link
Vyral

@foozoor
What are you talking about ? Everytime madshi disappear (even for months), he eventually comes back with lot of new stuff for madVR.
Old 24th August 2015, 15:52   #32667  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Yeah, madVR tends to get updated in bursts. Lots of activity for a few weeks, then little to no activity for a while, then a lot of activity again. My guess is madshi sets aside some time from paid work every now and then to focus almost exclusively on madVR. Either way the current lack of activity is nothing to worry about (madshi has even posted here recently), it's just a bit more frustrating due to the release of Windows 10.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 16:29   #32668  |  Link
xabregas

madshi is on vacantions in a nice beach surrounded by hot babes. Dont worry about him.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 20:07   #32669  |  Link
XRyche

So much speculation. I feel like I'm in high school again sitting next those 3 or 4 girls that constantly gossip about inane fluffery.

As far as people who have switched to Windows 10 and are having issues. Windows 10 is a "released" OS. Those of us who have switched should not be pushed aside because it is a new OS. Windows 10 is here to stay and it will eventually have to be dealt with, whether people who have not switched want it to be or not. It is a "free" (LOL) upgrade so more people than not are going to jump on that bandwagon. I know madshi has not said anything about Windows 10 one way or another and I am reasonable sure that he is aware of the issues and intends to address them. I just wish people would quit trying to convince madshi or who ever to put it on the back burner.

Last edited by XRyche; 24th August 2015 at 20:10.
XRyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2015, 01:44   #32670  |  Link
jkauff

Last night I got rid of Windows 10 and went back to my 8.1 setup and drivers. NNEDI3 is now running happily on my GTX770 once again.

There's nothing in Win 10 I particularly need, and I don't like how much it phones home to Microsoft, so I think I'll stick with 8.1 and older Nvidia drivers for awhile. I watch a lot of old SD movies, so doubling is very important to me.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 14:55   #32671  |  Link
ashlar42

Has the idea of implementing a delay between refresh rate switch and playback start ever been considered? Kodi handles it to great effect.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 15:01   #32672  |  Link
huhn

you know there is a kodi DSPlayer version so this should work there with madVR. so with other words the player is doing it.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 16:31   #32673  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Last night I got rid of Windows 10 and went back to my 8.1 setup and drivers. NNEDI3 is now running happily on my GTX770 once again.

There's nothing in Win 10 I particularly need, and I don't like how much it phones home to Microsoft, so I think I'll stick with 8.1 and older Nvidia drivers for awhile. I watch a lot of old SD movies, so doubling is very important to me.
I`ve heard a lot of sh*t about those "caaling home" stuff in windows 10. basically they almost want to meet us and thats disgusting. They think the common people needs microsoft softwares?? They dont know the existance of linux and linux distros??? madvr works like a charm with all linux distros i used.

I will wait 1/2 years before change to windows 10 from my windows 8.1. And if they remove the updates from 8.1 i will go linux FOREVAAAAAA :x
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 17:09   #32674  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
madvr works like a charm with all linux distros i used.
Really? How?
I haven't known this. Can you give a short setup instruction for that? I'd like to try it out.
(I'm using Ubuntu otherwise, and SMPlayer on it, just really rearly, I basically only keep Win for MadVR )
Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 19:26   #32675  |  Link
nussman

Pic or it didnt happen.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2015, 21:43   #32676  |  Link
flashmozzg

You could probably use it in wine but I wouldn't classify that as works like a charm.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 19:14   #32677  |  Link
Soukyuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmozzg View Post
You could probably use it in wine but I wouldn't classify that as works like a charm.
Why? WINE is not an emulator, so there is no performance loss. Unless it uses something WINE doesn't support.

Of course, it's way easier to just use mpv+scripts+shaders.
Old 27th August 2015, 20:55   #32678  |  Link
flashmozzg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post
Why? WINE is not an emulator, so there is no performance loss. Unless it uses something WINE doesn't support.

Because I doubt they have sufficient dx9 implementation. At least for DXVA and stuff madvr uses.
flashmozzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 21:33   #32679  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soukyuu View Post

Things like madVR are carefully tuned for the intricate details of how DirectX interacts with various hardware, a generic translation to OpenGL with WINE will definitely cost you performance, and lots of it.
Old 27th August 2015, 21:54   #32680  |  Link
aufkrawall

I suppose with luck FSE could run okish in some way, but there will probably be many bugs regarding composition in windowed/borderless mode etc.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling