Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th October 2015, 12:30   #33661  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
Are you suggesting to do not use Superres in chroma upscaling? Just to understand.
Yes, I suggest not to use it (as madshi told us it uses a different algorithm, and wasn't updated for a while).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
What about image refinement in case of image not upscaled (I.e. 1080p>1080p)? Which refinement do you suggest ?
If there's no upscaling (1080p>1080p) then those settings don't do anything! That's why it called "upsacling refinement". In contrast, "image enhancements" does, but there's no Superes under it.

But I don't use any of these sharpening filters, so you should ask the smarter guys about them
Old 17th October 2015, 12:43   #33662  |  Link
tahaa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Sounds strange. Has that always been that way? Or is it a new problem? Are you using software decoding or copyback or native hardware decoding? What GPU? OS? This is not an Optimus system, is it?
It hasn't always been that way. I'm using MPC's built-in LAV filters with hardware (CUVID) decoding. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. No, it is not an Optimus system.
tahaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 12:45   #33663  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
My script looks like this:
Code:
if (scalingFactor.x = 1.0) and (scalingFactor.y = 1.0) "1.0"
if (scalingFactor.x < 1.0) and (scalingFactor.y < 1.0) "< 1.0"
if (scalingFactor.x > 1.0) and (scalingFactor.y < 1.5) "> 1.0 < 1.5"
if (scalingFactor.x > 1.5) and (scalingFactor.y < 2.2) and (deintFps <= 30) "> 2.2 <= 30fps"
if (scalingFactor.x > 1.5) and (scalingFactor.y < 2.2) and (deintFps > 30) "> 2.2 > 30fps"
Problem is, it only activates profile "1.0" (script is valid, according to madVR). I tried to insert "else" at various places, but it didn't help the way I did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
All but the first if should probably be "else if" instead, otherwise I see nothing wrong. Never tried to use it myself, I can give it a go in a while if it still doesn't work out.
As Nevcairiel says, use elseif, and since you want to use intervals, start it from 1 end and go to the other. Last, always leave a "Default" profile at the end, just in case
And I'm not sure that you need both x and y scalinfactor check but just one, if you prevent the change of aspect ratio.

Code:
if (scalingFactor.x < 1.0) "< 1.0"
elseif (scalingFactor.x = 1.0) "1.0"
elseif (scalingFactor.x > 1.0) "> 1.0 < 1.5"
elseif (scalingFactor.x > 1.5) and (deintFps <= 30) "> 2.2 <= 30fps"
elseif (scalingFactor.x > 1.5) and (deintFps > 30) "> 2.2 > 30fps"
else "Default"
Old 17th October 2015, 12:51   #33664  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Problem is, it only activates profile "1.0" (script is valid, according to madVR). I tried to insert "else" at various places, but it didn't help the way I did it.
I'd be very thankful for ideas.
It seems to be a bug in madvr, your script should work. Using elseif is not necessary, althought recommended.

@madshi: I've narrowed it down to decimals not working in profile rules - the script is marked as valid (green "tick"), but rules don't work.
To give an example:
if (scalingFactor.x>1) "Profile 1" works correctly, while
if (scalingFactor.x>1.0) "Profile 1" doesn't work and
if (scalingFactor.x>1.5) "Profile 1" doesn't work either.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 12:54   #33665  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

madshi is german, did you try "1,0" instead? It would technically be the german way to write it.... =p
Old 17th October 2015, 12:58   #33666  |  Link
michkrol

Yes, I did try "1,0", but the rules didn't "validate" (a triangle over the textbox).
FWIW, my system('s lang settings) also expects commas (not dots) for decimals
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 13:00   #33667  |  Link
aufkrawall

Thanks for looking after this, I'd assume it's probably an easy fix for madshi.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 13:15   #33668  |  Link
chros

And I messed up the intervals check earlier, here's the proper one:
Code:
if (scalingFactor.x < 1.0) "< 1.0"
elseif (scalingFactor.x = 1.0) "1.0"
elseif (scalingFactor.x <= 1.5) "> 1.0 < 1.5"
elseif (scalingFactor.x > 1.5) and (deintFps <= 30) "> 2.2 <= 30fps"
elseif (scalingFactor.x > 1.5) and (deintFps > 30) "> 2.2 > 30fps"
else "Default"
Old 17th October 2015, 13:17   #33669  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Ah, an old German Premiere HD broadcast. I know those well...

No problems on my PC at all. Ok, smooth motion FRC always has one small judder after about 1 second of playback or so, but that's normal. Other than that, playback is perfect on my PC, with both D3D9 new path and D3D11, both in Windowed and FSE modes.

Are you using software or copyback or native DXVA hardware decoding? Try software decoding, and try the "delay playback start" option in madVR. Maybe your CPU/decoder is simply too slow to deliver enough video frames for smooth motion FRC to work with, at the start of playback. Also check that deinterlacing is not turned on. It's not needed for this stream. Or if you want to turn it on, try with forced film mode.
I can confirm the problem. It occurs when the GPU queue is relatively long (e.g. 16 frames) and Smooth Motion is enabled at the same time.
Doesn't matter if FSE, D3D9 or not.
With a GPU queue of 8, it looks normal. But it can't be a problem with performance or video memory, it must be some weird coincidence.
Old 17th October 2015, 14:01   #33670  |  Link
SecurityBunny

Quote:
I think this should be fixed in the next build. If not, please let me know.
Sure thing. As soon as the new build is available, I'll be sure to test and let you know if it is fixed from my end.
SecurityBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 14:01   #33671  |  Link
Jtacdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm3nian View Post
I mean jumping to different parts of the video. Remember the crash involving smooth motion? Like that.

The anime I tested with is 1080 with no black bars, so it takes up the full screen when upscaled to 4k, I guess a 1080 screen with a 1080 source would also work. When I have "to the bottom of the screen/window" selected and I start the video, the subtitles start on the very bottom as expected. But if I jump around, the subtitles move north, and end up where the subtitles would be if I had selected "into active video area". So I guess you could say the first option in 'move subtitles' doesn't work correctly.
I've seen this behavior on some anime with ssa/ass subtitles as well. Using madvr 0.89.11 and Xysubfilter 746.

It will start at the botton and then push itself into the active box after a while. Here is a sample below that happens consistently for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivp11mz3s0...281%29.7z?dl=0
Old 17th October 2015, 14:32   #33672  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Ok, maybe my example was the wrong one, sorry.

What I wanted to show is that, unless I'm mistaken, when scaling to 1080p the subs size seems to change according to the amount of scaling.

So I watch all stuff from 10 feet on a 60" screen but subs size varies according to the source size and the factor it needs to be scaled to. Is this intended behaviour?
I think the size should depend only on the size of the final video (after upscaling). But I don't really have much control over that. Does XySubFilter behave differently than the internal MPC-HC subtitle renderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper93 View Post
I've reseted settings. I changed only to DX11 and enabled ED and can reproduce. It is ED issue. I missed that. Yes, it happens with all videos. Doesn't happen when OSD Stats are enabled. Software decoding. You may need to frame step few frames before is starts to happen, but it is reproducible every time on my PC.
Oh, thanks! Yes, was able to reproduce it with ED and the OSD off (two important things). The next build will fix this. And who knows - maybe it could even help for Intel users have those flashes when using DX11 presentation? Don't really know, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahaa7 View Post
It hasn't always been that way. I'm using MPC's built-in LAV filters with hardware (CUVID) decoding. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. No, it is not an Optimus system.
Does the problem go away if you use DXVA copyback? That's superior to CUVID, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
I've narrowed it down to decimals not working in profile rules - the script is marked as valid (green "tick"), but rules don't work.
True. Will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
I can confirm the problem. It occurs when the GPU queue is relatively long (e.g. 16 frames) and Smooth Motion is enabled at the same time.
Doesn't matter if FSE, D3D9 or not.
With a GPU queue of 8, it looks normal. But it can't be a problem with performance or video memory, it must be some weird coincidence.
Hmmmm... No problem here with 16 frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtacdf View Post
I've seen this behavior on some anime with ssa/ass subtitles as well. Using madvr 0.89.11 and Xysubfilter 746.

It will start at the botton and then push itself into the active box after a while. Here is a sample below that happens consistently for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivp11mz3s0...281%29.7z?dl=0
Ok, thanks. I can see the problem. Will work on a fix, but I'm not sure if I'll make it this weekend.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 15:09   #33673  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
Ah, an old German Premiere HD broadcast. I know those well...

No problems on my PC at all. Ok, smooth motion FRC always has one small judder after about 1 second of playback or so, but that's normal. Other than that, playback is perfect on my PC, with both D3D9 new path and D3D11, both in Windowed and FSE modes.

Are you using software or copyback or native DXVA hardware decoding? Try software decoding, and try the "delay playback start" option in madVR. Maybe your CPU/decoder is simply too slow to deliver enough video frames for smooth motion FRC to work with, at the start of playback. Also check that deinterlacing is not turned on. It's not needed for this stream. Or if you want to turn it on, try with forced film mode.
I did mention that no decoding mode in LAV made a difference, I use copyback by default.
'Delay playback start' is also on by default here, and all queues are full, I use 12 and 8, present in advance also at 8.
Deinterlacing is off, and I also checked with default flush settings to rule that out as I have "don't flush" everywhere, didn't help.
I use MPC-HC and it only happens during first 4-5 seconds and stops as soon as you see the Universal globe, so it doesn't bother me much, but if I were using MPC-BE that would be another matter (see my first post), that's why I thought I should let you know.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 16:00   #33674  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
I think the size should depend only on the size of the final video (after upscaling). But I don't really have much control over that. Does XySubFilter behave differently than the internal MPC-HC subtitle renderer?
Yes it does. I did precise measurings, with a ruler applied to my Kuro.

With style using Calibri bold, size 18, MPC-HC internal subfilter renders the O character at a fixed 1.8cm size. XySubFilter renders it at 1.5cm with black bars (2.40:1 aspect ratio), 2.0cm with no black bars (16:9 aspect ratio).

Tried with both MPC-HC and Kodi.
Old 17th October 2015, 16:27   #33675  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibius View Post
I did mention that no decoding mode in LAV made a difference, I use copyback by default.
'Delay playback start' is also on by default here, and all queues are full, I use 12 and 8, present in advance also at 8.
Deinterlacing is off, and I also checked with default flush settings to rule that out as I have "don't flush" everywhere, didn't help.
I use MPC-HC and it only happens during first 4-5 seconds and stops as soon as you see the Universal globe, so it doesn't bother me much, but if I were using MPC-BE that would be another matter (see my first post), that's why I thought I should let you know.
Then I suppose the MPC-BE internal decoder probably sends wrong timestamps. Just guessing, though.

Quote:
Yes it does. I did precise measurings, with a ruler applied to my Kuro.

With style using Calibri bold, size 18, MPC-HC internal subfilter renders the O character at a fixed 1.8cm size. XySubFilter renders it at 1.5cm with black bars (2.40:1 aspect ratio), 2.0cm with no black bars (16:9 aspect ratio).
Is that with the MPC-HC ISR option "position subtitles relative to the video frame" checked or unchecked? Try with it checked, that's how XySubFilter calculates the font size.
Old 17th October 2015, 16:37   #33676  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Then I suppose the MPC-BE internal decoder probably sends wrong timestamps. Just guessing, though.
Maybe there's something wrong with the encode of the first 5s, also Windows 10 Metro player seems to drop lots of frames with it.
So it's probably not a bug in madVR, but the exception treatment with SM maybe could be better?
But if it's really due to a weird encode, it might not be important imho.
Old 17th October 2015, 17:11   #33677  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Are you using hardware or software decoding?
I am using software decoding. DXVA Copy-Back is affected in the same way.
Memory consumption using DXVA native seems totally different. Quickly reaches ~50k but barely reaches 53k by end of sample even with all the maximizing<>100%zoom I can do.

Quote:
Do you maybe have a different PC you could try this with?
No, not right now.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 18:25   #33678  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Is that with the MPC-HC ISR option "position subtitles relative to the video frame" checked or unchecked? Try with it checked, that's how XySubFilter calculates the font size.
I'll check but... If that's the case what's the logic behind having a setting that varies subs size according to source's aspect ratio?

Edit: I checked, yes, the correct behaviour (in my opinion) happens with internal subs renderer, in MPC-HC with "position subtitles relative to the video frame" unchecked. If there's already a way to get the same behaviour in XySubsFilter, I'd be interested to know it. If there isn't, as per above, I'd like to understand the logic behind the behaviour. Is there any time when changing subs size according to aspect ratio would be desirable?

Last edited by ashlar42; 17th October 2015 at 18:47.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 19:52   #33679  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Maybe there's something wrong with the encode of the first 5s, also Windows 10 Metro player seems to drop lots of frames with it.
So it's probably not a bug in madVR, but the exception treatment with SM maybe could be better?
But if it's really due to a weird encode, it might not be important imho.
I don't have the time to go on a wild goose chase for a video which is suspected to be a weird encode, and which furthermore seems to play just fine on my PC. If I could easily reproduce the problem, I would have had a look, but if it's just one video out of many that makes problems, then it's just not worth the bother. My development time is *VERY* limited. I need to spend it wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I am using software decoding. DXVA Copy-Back is affected in the same way.
Memory consumption using DXVA native seems totally different. Quickly reaches ~50k but barely reaches 53k by end of sample even with all the maximizing<>100%zoom I can do.
Alright. <sigh> Guess I'll make some test builds. Not today anymore, though, maybe tomorrow.

Quote:
Edit: I checked, yes, the correct behaviour (in my opinion) happens with internal subs renderer, in MPC-HC with "position subtitles relative to the video frame" unchecked.
But that was not my question. I wanted to know if you get the same varying font sizes with that option CHECKED, not unchecked. I explicitly wrote "Try with it checked".
Old 17th October 2015, 20:56   #33680  |  Link
tahaa7

Quote:
Does the problem go away if you use DXVA copyback? That's superior to CUVID, anyway.
I am going to do some more testing and report back. Would you please elaborate on your statement that DXVA is superior to CUVID? And why copy-back, why not native? Shouldn't native be faster? Thanks.

Last edited by tahaa7; 17th October 2015 at 21:06.
tahaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling