Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st December 2016, 20:47   #41661  |  Link
huhn

madVR has a fullscreen exclusive seek bar the rest is the work of the player.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 21:03   #41662  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
So MadVR's own seekbar won't show with overlay? I'm using MPC-HC.
I think you just need to tick "Show controls in fullscreen for" in MPC-HC, as in this screenshot :

And put "0" below, so the seekbar will only appear if you move the mouse at the bottom of the screen.

madVR's own seekbar only shows in exclusive mode.

Last edited by Neo-XP; 21st December 2016 at 21:05.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 21:37   #41663  |  Link
har3inger

There isn't HW decoding for 10 bit stuff yet. When you choose DXVA decoding, it should fall back to regular software decoding.

In general for madvr, if you're struggling with scaling algorithms being too slow, your best bet is to use software decoding only to move load from GPU to CPU. Additionally, many GPUs get locked to a lower clock when doing video decoding by the driver.

If you care about power consumption/noise, you probably shouldn't be using the fancier madvr algorithms anyway.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 22:03   #41664  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
So do I need to use it if i'm using Potplayer or MPC-HC?
LAV is already built into MPC-HC...

It's already used by default when you play a video.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 07:27   #41665  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
What you notice is simply low frame rate video but there is another issue caused by frame time mismatch.

With a 75 Hz display and 23.976 fps video each frame wants to be displayed for 41.71 ms but Vsync is every 13.3 ms. This means that most frames are displayed for 40 ms but every ~8 frames one frame is displayed for 53.3 ms. This isn't too bad, only 33% longer, you might not notice it but it isn't ideal.

The effect is worse at 60 Hz, with half the frames displayed for 33.3 ms and the other half displayed for 50 ms, 50% longer. This is quite visible (to me at least) as uneven choppiness or judder, even worse than normal low frame rate video.

Smooth motion allows madVR to display every frame for exactly 41.71ms.

edit: with 29.970 fps video on your 75 Hz display you get a similar effect to 23.976 fps video on a 60 Hz display. Half the frames are displayed for 26.67 ms and the other half for 40 ms, 50% longer.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

One reason or another I don't seem to notice it much, the low frame rate is much more noticeable to me, for example large objects moving fast across the screen make much more of a problem than frame rate, though I will give it a try and see if I can notice smooth motion effects.

For best quality when watching, using Edge thinning with upscaling refinement and using 200% scaling will yield much better and cleaner results than using edge thinning from image enhancements. Seems that it works on a finer level of detail and distorts considerably less when edge thinning comes from upscaling refinement, at least in my tests so far.

Also, seems that lately I prefer using edge thinning at a bit less agressive numbers than in my first tests, right now I'm still looking for the best balance between the sharpness or effect and the amount of distortion added.

Sometimes the distortion either isn't there or it's really okay, while other times it's noticeable, for example on really low resolution videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
DXVA 2 Native should NEVER be used with madvr.
This should be held on sticky somewhere, and MPC should stop defaulting it to DXVA native when installing.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 17:50   #41666  |  Link
mandarynek82

madVR has a lot of options. I don't know which parameters are best for gtx 1070. I would like to get a smooth image without macroblocks and artifacts. As close as possible to the original.
mandarynek82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:11   #41667  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarynek82 View Post
madVR has a lot of options. I don't know which parameters are best for gtx 1070. I would like to get a smooth image without macroblocks and artifacts. As close as possible to the original.
madVR doesn't have any options meant to remove macroblocks but you can enable reduce banding artifacts and/or reduce ringing artifacts if those are an issue in your source.
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:11   #41668  |  Link
Neo-XP

Strangely, NGU-High (former NGU-Med) is a lot sharper in v0.91.1 VS v0.91.4 :

Zoomed :

All the other settings were exactly the same.
Is that normal @madshi ? Did you tone down NGU because some users found it too sharp ?

Last edited by Neo-XP; 22nd December 2016 at 20:14.
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:43   #41669  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Strangely...
Probably related to this change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
v0.91.2:
* small quality improvement for NGU-Med/High (former NGU-Low/Med)
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:49   #41670  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Im using the 1080 card with madvr...
In the 1080 settings under "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" there is a dropdown box "content type reported to display" If I set it to (Auto-select (recommended) the image has terrible banding, if I set it to "Full screen videos" the image as NO banding and the blacks are more enhanced. The only problem is sometimes when i turn on the PC it has reverted back to Auto-select and Im back to the banding. Even though I save the setting why would it revert back? I only use this card and PC in my HT.

What do others have this setting selected to?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:53   #41671  |  Link
70MM

Another setting Im not sure about...
On the 1080 card there is a setting for PhysX and in the dropdown box it states "Processor" - Auto - Geforce GTX 1080 or CPU, what should I set it to?
I dont even know what the setting is for????
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:34   #41672  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Another setting Im not sure about...
On the 1080 card there is a setting for PhysX and in the dropdown box it states "Processor" - Auto - Geforce GTX 1080 or CPU, what should I set it to?
I dont even know what the setting is for????
PhysX isn't important. You can disable it.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:37   #41673  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Im using the 1080 card with madvr...
In the 1080 settings under "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" there is a dropdown box "content type reported to display" If I set it to (Auto-select (recommended) the image has terrible banding, if I set it to "Full screen videos" the image as NO banding and the blacks are more enhanced. The only problem is sometimes when i turn on the PC it has reverted back to Auto-select and Im back to the banding. Even though I save the setting why would it revert back? I only use this card and PC in my HT.

What do others have this setting selected to?
Settings will revert after driver updates. It might be easier if you post an image of the screen you're referring to. I have output set to 8 bpc and Full range.
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:30   #41674  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Settings will revert after driver updates. It might be easier if you post an image of the screen you're referring to. I have output set to 8 bpc and Full range.
I also have my settings at 8 bpc, Full, RGB and 32bit.
Do you have the tab named "Content type reported to display" under adjust desktop color settings?

Maybe this setting isnt on all cards???
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:44   #41675  |  Link
arrgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
I have the same Problem with mvc-mkv...I tried xysubfilter but also the MPC-BE internal filters. Both times, with "Stereoskopic Subtitles disabled" and enabled as "side by side" I get the Subs in the Display plane...
I would be ok with an user-adjusted Option...I'm not talking about the "original Settings in the mpls"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotik View Post
Hello,

Either I am doing something totally wrong or things are not supposed to work the way I expect them to.

I ripped countless of times my Avatar 3D BluRay disc with latest MakeMKV v1.10.2 and yet the 3D subtitles are not working properly, for that matter they are not working properly even when I directly play the movie from my disc.

The 3D effects of the movie most of the time cut through the subtitles, and it doesn't matter which subtitle language I am using.

I am using latest madVR build + latest LAV, I tried with both xySubFilter and with MPC-HC internal subtitle engine.

I remember a couple of months ago madshi mentioned that 3D subtitles are supposed to work with xySubFilter.
So am I the only one with this issue?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VHT View Post
You are not alone. I've had the same problem since the day one when I started usind madVR+LAV with 3d movies. Movie is fine but subtitles are in wrong depth. I've also tried different subtitle engines, original BluRay discs etc. but with no luck.
I just wanted to bring this issue up again;
I was under the Impression that MakeMKV derived MVC-3D-mkv files are displayed correctly...with xySubFilter also the Subs. MakeMKV is keeping the 3D-plane info "somehow". If I'm not wrong, that's done in the global tags. If one pulls out the global tags out of such a MVC mkv file one gets a *.xml file containing the 3D-depth per subtitle stream (see attached file, which I renamed to *.txt; I have shortened it...).
Is that the needed/sufficient info? Is the Format correct? Does it work for any subtitle type, or only for PGS?
Or are those affected by this issue just doing something wrong?

It would be nice to see here some Progress, after all the Problem is around now for quit some time.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: txt t.txt (589 Bytes, 59 views)
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:59   #41676  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
I also have my settings at 8 bpc, Full, RGB and 32bit.
Do you have the tab named "Content type reported to display" under adjust desktop color settings?

Maybe this setting isnt on all cards???
Can you post an image?
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:08   #41677  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
Can you post an image?
Here you go....
resolution is set the same as yours I believe.
As long as I have Content type reported by display set to Full screen videos i have no banding. On auto I get banding.
Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2016, 02:12   #41678  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Probably related to this change.
That was it ! because there is no difference when I test NGU-veryHigh on both versions.

I'm not certain that it is an improvement though. It sure hides the artifacts better, but it is really soft.

NGU-veryHigh on the other hand is extremely impressive : razor-sharp with practically no visible artifacts. I don't how madshi managed to do that, it is almost magical
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:19   #41679  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Here you go....
resolution is set the same as yours I believe.
As long as I have Content type reported by display set to Full screen videos i have no banding. On auto I get banding.
It all looks good to me. I don't know what is wrong.
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:54   #41680  |  Link
70MM

Quote:
It all looks good to me. I don't know what is wrong.
Do you have Content type reported by display set to Full screen video?

I just wish mine would lock onto this as when it changes back to auto I get banding.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling