Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th December 2019, 02:24   #58161  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Don't most display devices downgrade to 4:2:2 for processing?
yes let the TV do that not the GPU there is at least a chance it will do it using high bit deep.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 03:35   #58162  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
ive given up my RX 5700 and gone back to my trusty RX 580, I cant recommend the RX 5700 series for MADVR/HTPC use at all in its present driver state, great for gaming however, I had no issues.
5700 series AMD working perfectly fine here.

QB
Old 15th December 2019, 04:39   #58163  |  Link
jasonwc18

Any reason 12 bit color output would result in incorrect colors?

I discovered a very strange issue and solved it almost by accident. About a week back, Windows decided to upgrade my NVIDIA driver even though I have Windows set not to upgrade drivers. I used DDU to remove the driver and install my preferred driver. I decided to check the calibration with Calman to make sure everything was fine. I have a JVC RS600 and a Stewart StudioTek 130 display. I use Calman to calibrate my projector/screen manually using the madvr pattern generator. I had calibrated Gamma, RGB tracking manually to an average of below 1 DeltaE (StudioTek 130 screen material has excellent color accuracy and the JVC projector was around DeltaE 2 out of the box with this screen; avg Gamma and RGB tracking well below 1 after manual calibration). Yet, color sweeps were showing me DeltaE errors of 10 for Blue and Cyan. I had seen this once before (identical results) when the Nvidia driver was set to manage color settings rather than the application. However, this time, the driver setting was set correctly.

I repeatedly used DDU with different driver versions, tested different settings in Calman etc. Nothing worked. Finally, I decided to change the color from 12 bit to 8 bit (I normally play in 4K23/RGB/12 bit color). Ran Calman again and both Blue and Cyan had a DeltaE error of 0.5...

I have madvr set to dither the output to 10 bit as the JVC RS600 supports 12 bit color at every level from input to display. Also, I'm pretty sure I've calibrated with 12 bit color in the past without issue. I don't know if this is a Windows issue or a madvr issue (I'm using the latest beta for HDR tonemapping). I don't see how it can be an Nvidia driver issue (unless it's an interaction with a recent Windows update) as this is a build from November 2017 that I've used for ages. Has anyone seen this before?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's not actually impacting normal playback because colors look fine when using madvr to output movies and TV shows on my projector. Given that I saw the exact same behavior and calibration results when I had the Nvidia driver set to manage color, I wonder if Windows is somehow messing with the output in the same way. Very strange and I was just wondering if anyone else ran into this.

Last edited by jasonwc18; 15th December 2019 at 04:42.
jasonwc18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 16:28   #58164  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Hi guys, just a few quick questions.

- Is it possible to have the MadVR OSD displayed without the rectangle background ??
- I am not sure if this affects only my TV but when I change some HDMI settings the TV is then recognized by MadVR as the new default device, so:
- - is it possible to simply copy&paste the settings from the old to the new device ?
- - is it possible to switch between these device as default ?
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2019, 17:38   #58165  |  Link
mparade

Should a 3D LUT calibration process on madvr performed even if my display has already been calibrated? I have CalMAN home and an LG C9V. Anything I do, I still have banding and black point issues with madVR. This is not the case with my Oppo 203 using the same picture mode.

Any help would be appreciated.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 11:38   #58166  |  Link
petoulachi

I've heard that you better set madvr to output in 8bit on LG 9 OLED series, have you tried ?

Also, are you aware that last version of MadVR 92.17, and beta v40 & v112b, does not handle HDR 3DLUT correctly ?
If I use 3DLUT for HDR, MadVR does not send HDR signal to display, no matter what I've tried.
Going back to 92.16 and it works as intended.
petoulachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019, 11:44   #58167  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsdyke View Post
- I am not sure if this affects only my TV but when I change some HDMI settings the TV is then recognized by MadVR as the new default device, so:
- - is it possible to simply copy&paste the settings from the old to the new device ?
- - is it possible to switch between these device as default ?
Simply drag and drop the 'identification' entry under the new device onto the old one, this will combine both IDs into one device.
Old 16th December 2019, 17:17   #58168  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
Should a 3D LUT calibration process on madvr performed even if my display has already been calibrated?
I think if your TV is already calibrated, then no need to do anything else. Unless ...
Your Oppo uses a different chain than your PC with madvr, video card output, Black level setting on the TV, etc.
Old 19th December 2019, 17:43   #58169  |  Link
adhara

Hi guys,

Is 10bits bug fixed in windowed mode for those using Nvidia graphic card ?

So what's the best mode to use for 4K output (HDR and non HDR): FSE or Windowed ?

Thx
adhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 19:02   #58170  |  Link
Msarc

I'm seeing something odd: whenever I set Image Upscaling to "DXVA2", the cost (rendering time) for RCA shoots through the roof, going over 20ms at RCA "High" and 42ms at RCA "Very High". Meanwhile, any other algorithm, including NGU "Very High", tops out at 12ms.
Does anyone have an idea why this could be happening?
Msarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 20:56   #58171  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah this is not "odd" at all, it's your GPU clock speeds. When you use DXVA, the card depending on how it's power states are configured will typically run at lower speeds as the workload is considerably less and the card has no need to run at near full performance. Rendering times aren't an issue unless you're dropping frames.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2019, 04:32   #58172  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah this is not "odd" at all, it's your GPU clock speeds. When you use DXVA, the card depending on how it's power states are configured will typically run at lower speeds as the workload is considerably less and the card has no need to run at near full performance. Rendering times aren't an issue unless you're dropping frames.
It does cause frame drops, and the video card goes to full clock speeds and usage when doing DXVA2+RCA. It's a 2060S with 441.66 drivers, btw.

Screenshots:
DXVA2 - image stats
DXVA2 - card stats
NGU High - image stats
NGU High - card stats

Last edited by Msarc; 20th December 2019 at 04:53.
Old 20th December 2019, 04:41   #58173  |  Link
ryrynz

Change your power profile like I said. Why use DXVA?
Old 20th December 2019, 05:00   #58174  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
Change your power profile like I said.
The card already is at full power like I said. And the profile for the player is "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Quote:
Why use DXVA?
To turn off the cooling at night time.

PS: Added some screens to the above post.
Old 20th December 2019, 05:10   #58175  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah, can see the card is actually doing more work under DXVA for whatever reason and the clocks are higher too. Share your settings? Also showing render steps might be helpful.

Last edited by ryrynz; 20th December 2019 at 05:13.
Old 20th December 2019, 06:10   #58176  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
Also showing render steps might be helpful.
DXVA2 - render steps

Quote:
Share your settings?
I can't remember how. I think there's supposed to be a settings.bin file in madVR folder, but it's not there.
Old 20th December 2019, 06:12   #58177  |  Link
ryrynz

You don't need it but if u want that file you just need to allow madvr write permission to the folder. Otherwise you can just export the madvr registry key to a file.

I'm not seeing any issues on my 1060 using similar content with DXVA and RCA enabled using 441.66

Last edited by ryrynz; 20th December 2019 at 06:21.
Old 20th December 2019, 06:33   #58178  |  Link
huhn

RCA is done before scaling and well that's not possible when you use DXVA2 for scaling so it now used after scaling.

just use bicubic for image and chroma scaling it should be about as cheap as DXVA and it should be better too.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2019, 06:54   #58179  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
Otherwise you can just export the madvr registry key to a file.
Ah, alright, here it is. The settings are all fairly mild, though, except for RCA that I set to Very High for testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
RCA is done before scaling and well that's not possible when you use DXVA2 for scaling so it now used after scaling.

just use bicubic for image and chroma scaling it should be about as cheap as DXVA and it should be better too.
Thanks for the explanation. I suppose RCA+Bicubic will work for me as well, and I confirm that it is indeed very cheap under the same scenario - as cheap as I expected RCA+DXVA to be.

Last edited by Msarc; 20th December 2019 at 06:57.
Old 21st December 2019, 15:17   #58180  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by petoulachi View Post
I've heard that you better set madvr to output in 8bit on LG 9 OLED series, have you tried ?

Also, are you aware that last version of MadVR 92.17, and beta v40 & v112b, does not handle HDR 3DLUT correctly ?
If I use 3DLUT for HDR, MadVR does not send HDR signal to display, no matter what I've tried.
Going back to 92.16 and it works as intended.
Thanks. I tried today the 8-bit output as well. Severe banding still very visible in homogenous flat areas on my calibrated LG C9V. Using Oppo-203 there is no such visual annoying issues.
I calibrated my OLED using CalMAN Home LG so there is no need here to use a 3DLUT. HDR signal is sent to display, my TV confirms it nicely by displaying the "HDR" logo on the screen. 92.16 version used here plus the latest nvidia game ready driver. I suspect now, it may be a bug relating to the driver. I got bogged down...
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling