Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th January 2018, 13:39   #48041  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
AIUI, Volta with madVR will be a game changer. HDMI 2.1 MAYBE. NVDecode may also be a new video decoder introduced replacing GDDR5x which should allow madVR at highest settings, even UHD, to be implemented (replacing NVCUVID). Don't know anything for sure. NVidia press conference from CES in 4 days. Maybe some details?
So im better off waiting

Its not only the performance boost but the new technologies might be worth the wait even knowing i really need a gpu with hevc hardware decoding now.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 14:34   #48042  |  Link
yok833

Hello, i am know watching a lot of 4K HDR 10bit content on my 65B7V OLED and I would like to know if I should keep dithering enable (error diffusion or ordered) ? Same question with all the artifact removals options ? Many thanks
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 14:38   #48043  |  Link
mclingo

doubt you will see any advantage from HDMI 2.1 for a while and your whole pipeline will need to be 2.1, but its worth waiting to see if the new cards have it, hard to know how much more MADVR grunt these cards will have though, you may even find the current crop gives you enough, I'm happy with NGU sharp medium on my RX550 for image upscale and Lanczos for Chroma upscale, I get a superb picture all round.

if most of what you play is 1080p bluray quality you may not see much difference with higher end processing anyway, but it can be very subjective and also depend on your TV setup and how far away you are sat.

I have an LG OLED 65 inch and I sit about 6 ft away when watching movies...for the sickest experience possible
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 15:30   #48044  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yok833 View Post
Hello, i am know watching a lot of 4K HDR 10bit content on my 65B7V OLED and I would like to know if I should keep dithering enable (error diffusion or ordered) ? Same question with all the artifact removals options ? Many thanks
never disable dithering except for testing.
and select the type of dithering that looks best for you.
if in doubt ordered dithering.

artefact removal is there to well remove artefacts so your content has banding you can use debanding the is the same for HDR.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 17:10   #48045  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeggel View Post
@mytbyte and brazen1:
would it help if you could have a look at one of the movie files yourself? I could cut out the first couple of seconds from the movie and upload it somewhere (any suggestion for a suitable location?)?
Well, upload to wetransfer and PM the link
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 17:19   #48046  |  Link
yok833

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
never disable dithering except for testing.
and select the type of dithering that looks best for you.
if in doubt ordered dithering.

artefact removal is there to well remove artefacts so your content has banding you can use debanding the is the same for HDR.
OK thanks. I thought that with 10 bit videos and good it was not necessary anymore.
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 19:18   #48047  |  Link
Asmodian

I do have UHD HDR blurays with banding in the source.

Dithering is always good, "necessary" is relative but dithering is fast and nothing is better if you turn it off. Dithering quality is less important at higher bitdepths but still beneficial.

Sorry, this isn't directed at only you but this question gets asked a lot:
NEVER DISABLE DITHERING!
Old 4th January 2018, 22:53   #48048  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
doubt you will see any advantage from HDMI 2.1 for a while and your whole pipeline will need to be 2.1, but its worth waiting to see if the new cards have it, hard to know how much more MADVR grunt these cards will have though, you may even find the current crop gives you enough, I'm happy with NGU sharp medium on my RX550 for image upscale and Lanczos for Chroma upscale, I get a superb picture all round.

if most of what you play is 1080p bluray quality you may not see much difference with higher end processing anyway, but it can be very subjective and also depend on your TV setup and how far away you are sat.

I have an LG OLED 65 inch and I sit about 6 ft away when watching movies...for the sickest experience possible
Is the rx 550 you have able to decode 4k hevc 10 bits UHDBlurays without stressing the cpu??

What chroma algo can it handle while playing a 4k movie? Bicubic only or it can go to jinc?

Maybe the RX 560 thats 20$ more will handle a bit more??

I can have a rx560 for about $125 nearby... And then when nvidia volta cards comes i might upgrade or not. Rx 560 must be better than rx550 right?
Old 4th January 2018, 23:22   #48049  |  Link
huhn

the rx 550 is a total money robbery. a 560 has nearly double the processing power for little more.

make sure it is a Baffin XT not a Baffin XL. i better not comment more on this topic. i have no good words for this fist into the face of customer.

but if you want to use NGU you are wasting your money with polaris.
Old 4th January 2018, 23:41   #48050  |  Link
xabregas

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the rx 550 is a total money robbery. a 560 has nearly double the processing power for little more.

make sure it is a Baffin XT not a Baffin XL. i better not comment more on this topic. i have no good words for this fist into the face of customer.

but if you want to use NGU you are wasting your money with polaris.
Baffin what?? It doesnt say. Its the MSI RADEON RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC model.
Old 4th January 2018, 23:42   #48051  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
Is the rx 550 you have able to decode 4k hevc 10 bits UHDBlurays without stressing the cpu??

What chroma algo can it handle while playing a 4k movie? Bicubic only or it can go to jinc?

Maybe the RX 560 thats 20$ more will handle a bit more??

I can have a rx560 for about $125 nearby... And then when nvidia volta cards comes i might upgrade or not. Rx 560 must be better than rx550 right?
Here is my setup

3rd gen I7
8 gig ram DDR3
250 gig SSD
RX 550
LG OLED EF950 4k
MADVR:
image upscale - NGU sharp medium
chroma upscale - Lanzos
I upscale everything to 2160p on PC.
PC:
desktop 3840x2160p
10 bit 4:2:0

Everything plays fine, no real tax on CPU, I could possibly push it harder with more tweaking but I decided I like the picture quality i'm getting.

I agree the 560 is a better choice, money was super tight at the time I bought this, I could use my GTX 1050 instead but I find my RX for stable on my particular setup, others would disagree and do frequently .

What I would say is that if you arent really into 3D then there really is no point getting an AMD card as it still requires FSE, if you are only playing 2D 4K movies go green.
Old 5th January 2018, 01:27   #48052  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
that the reason why this is issue is criminal in my eyes. a normal user can't see the difference on the name.

the MSI RADEON RX 560 AERO ITX is PCIe 16 with only 8 lanes.
but i don't see a msi version with buffin XT chip.
think about a 1050 ti if you want to use NGU about 2x speed for NGU.

@mclingo

i just used d3d11 FSE and 3D without any problem on windows fall update.

Last edited by huhn; 5th January 2018 at 01:31. Reason: it's an XT not XL the naming is killing me...
Old 5th January 2018, 01:30   #48053  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
There are two 560s out there, one is the original one with 16 CUs and recently some have 14 CUs. There seems to be no difference between the two based on the box while one is 12.5% slower.

Based on the newegg page for it the MSI RADEON RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC has the full 16 CUs for 1024 stream processors (instead of the lower 896) but it is hard to verify.

edit: I agree with huhn, NGU doesn't run well on polaris.

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th January 2018 at 07:18.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 09:26   #48054  |  Link
huhn

PCI Express x16 (Uses x8) this should already disqualify this RX 560
Old 5th January 2018, 11:01   #48055  |  Link
Asmodian

True, but you have to be careful for more than just that when selecting RX 560s, they are hard cards to shop for today.
Old 5th January 2018, 11:42   #48056  |  Link
mclingo

well I found that NGU iage upscale was almost identical for me on my RX550 vs 1050, neither card could do more than NGU sharp medium without glitchy playback kon 4k and 3d MVC stuff, 2D 1080p stuff was fine, I could ramp that up to NGU high on both cards, there must be large difference in processing requirments between medium and high which neither card can meet.

@huhn - 3D works for me fine when I drop my PC into 1080p mode before starting KODI DS or MPC, ive created a script to do this. 3D always plays fine with D3D/FSE, the problem occurs when you stop the movie, one of three things will happen, it will either:

1. crash my PC (this happens far less with 17.10.2 ATI driver).
2. drop my HDMI connection completely, i have to turn my TV and reciever off to renegotiate, devcon reset doesnt always work so this is a pain.
3. It works fine.

There is a new ATI drivers coming soon, mainly has DX9 fixes but I'll see how stable that is with 3D.

As my system currently stands I have zero issues, it hasnt crashed for ages and all my movies play and stop fine with the above caveats, I can live with this for now.
Old 5th January 2018, 11:44   #48057  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
Still no Dolby Vision passthrough
I've reported you. This is annoying to the extreme. Everybody here would love to have DV support but it's already been explained multiple times why that currently is not possible. Deal with it.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 11:44   #48058  |  Link
mclingo

do we not think full blown gaming cards are a bit of an overkilll for a HTPC, obviously if you are gaming as well then you need it but if you are running a 24/7 HTPC server on a budget the 1030/RX550 are the best options if your content is already mainly bluray and 4k quality.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:23   #48059  |  Link
huhn

because you should have 4GB vram for 4K playbacl(netflix needs 3 GB) so a card is already close to 100 bucks and the 550 is not worth it money it cost basicly the same as a 560.

idle power consumption is pretty much the same any way so no there is no reason to get a 550 ever.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:31   #48060  |  Link
huhn

[QUOTE=mclingo;1829380]well I found that NGU iage upscale was almost identical for me on my RX550 vs 1050, neither card could do more than NGU sharp medium without glitchy playback kon 4k and 3d MVC stuff, 2D 1080p stuff was fine, I could ramp that up to NGU high on both cards, there must be large difference in processing requirments between medium and high which neither card can meet.

Quote:
@huhn - 3D works for me fine when I drop my PC into 1080p mode before starting KODI DS or MPC, ive created a script to do this. 3D always plays fine with D3D/FSE, the problem occurs when you stop the movie, one of three things will happen, it will either:

1. crash my PC (this happens far less with 17.10.2 ATI driver).
2. drop my HDMI connection completely, i have to turn my TV and reciever off to renegotiate, devcon reset doesnt always work so this is a pain.
3. It works fine.

There is a new ATI drivers coming soon, mainly has DX9 fixes but I'll see how stable that is with 3D.

As my system currently stands I have zero issues, it hasnt crashed for ages and all my movies play and stop fine with the above caveats, I can live with this for now.
i don't have to do anything to get anything running correctly what so ever. so don't assume this is a general issue.

1. so your system is again solid crashes and you change your option every couple days about this topic sorry but what?
2. had the problem to switching to nvidia fixed the problem and unlike other people i contacted AMD about this.

and i was talking about a 1050 TI. the 1050 is a 2 GB card.

Last edited by huhn; 5th January 2018 at 13:28.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling