Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 29th October 2020, 00:29   #60481  |  Link
SamuriHL

One other thing these new cards bring to the table is hardware AV1 decoding which will be nice.
Old 29th October 2020, 02:02   #60482  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by toki View Post
So I want to use ColourSpace to create 3D Luts for SDR and HDR. Can I do this with an external TPG, and if so, what would be the best way to go about this? I want to use the external generator because I read that madVR does have something weird going on when using it as a TPG.
For a LUT created for madVR I would recommend the free DisplayCAL over ColourSpace. There is no issue using madTPG this way. A LUT for HDR is not advisable due to the dynamic nature of HDR.

LG OLED65C7P | Denon AVR-X3500H | ELAC Uni-Fi x7 | ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3030 x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
VBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 03:01   #60483  |  Link
LordX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glc650 View Post
I had to use CRU to remove the 2160p24/30/60 resolutions (which also removes the 23, 29, and 59) and then add them back via madVR. Once I did that I was able to manipulate the timings. I've also had to hit the reset gpu button in madVR at times before I could change to more optimized timings of those resolutions.
Are you using the most current nvidia drivers? This worked for those?
LordX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 03:59   #60484  |  Link
JaylumX
Something Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
For a LUT created for madVR I would recommend the free DisplayCAL over ColourSpace. There is no issue using madTPG this way. A LUT for HDR is not advisable due to the dynamic nature of HDR.
While I was not successful in creating a HDR 3DLUT for madVR (It looked like the rear end of a mentally ill pig) I did calibrate my display with HDR in mind using madTPG via displayCal.

I first maximised my displays backlight in windows and via the display as well as disabling any energy saving modes that my display had active - if your display uses dynamic tone mapping then I advise turning it off if you can otherwise calibrate your display in the highest brightness setting in SDR mode - and when displayCal generated the ICM profile, I added it as advanced colour so it only becomes active in HDR mode only.

I then set madVR to "use windows overlay".

I use a 3DLUT generated in displayCal to my display to watch SDR material (Spyder5Pro) while the Advanced colour with "use windows overlay" takes care of HDR.

Last edited by JaylumX; 29th October 2020 at 04:05.
JaylumX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 11:56   #60485  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
can we do Variable Sample Rate for audio like VRR for video?
Thats basically what ReClock et al do.
Old 29th October 2020, 13:47   #60486  |  Link
SamuriHL

Not for bitstreaming though. And yes I understand why. Just saying it would be awesome if we could.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 29th October 2020, 14:28   #60487  |  Link
toki

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Thank you for your reply. Either way, should I use 10% window with Local Dimming off or 10ABL with Local Dimming on?
toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 15:35   #60488  |  Link
LordX2

Also, I am able to select 12Bit under my display if I use the 'nvidia settings'. Still able to keep Full Range RGB as well.

Is this recommended? Or stick with 8bit?

Last edited by LordX2; 29th October 2020 at 16:17.
Old 29th October 2020, 18:07   #60489  |  Link
VBB

@toki - I haven't calibrated back-lit TVs in quite a while, but I'd probably go with normal 10% and dimming off. You could ask about your particular display in the calibration section of the AVS forum. Ted will be happy to help you

@LordX2 - Best to stick with 8-bit + madVR's excellent dithering, but you could always put up some gradient patterns to see what looks better.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | LAV Filters | madVR | MPC-HC | Plex | X-Rite i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL | HCFR
Old 29th October 2020, 18:47   #60490  |  Link
zind1703

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
One other thing these new cards bring to the table is hardware AV1 decoding which will be nice.

What gives you AV1 today?
And does anyone know when the H266 encoder will arrive?
zind1703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 18:55   #60491  |  Link
huhn

youtube does for quite a while now.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 20:56   #60492  |  Link
LordX2

Asmodian:

For smooth motion - does it double the rendering time since it is doubling the frame output?

Do you still have your display set to 23.976?

And does it have the dreaded 'soap opera' effect?

PS - I know beta 113 is not compatible with smooth motion - just asking for when this is fixed in future releases.
Old 29th October 2020, 21:34   #60493  |  Link
VBB

I can answer those questions, since I've used smooth motion for a long time (currently taking a break). SM blends frames, but it does not alter the motion, unlike interpolation. There is no soap opera effect. For SM to be effective, you'll want to set the frame rate as high as possible. Like As said, it's even better at 120Hz, but it's definitely fine at 60Hz. Nobody knows when SM will be fixed. Just use 112b for now.

A note: SM is best used with OLEDs due to their inherent super fast response time. The slight blur SM creates helps with the sometimes jarring stutter of low frame rate content. Since you're using a projector, you might not gain anything from SM, except zero drops/repeats.

As far as performance goes, SM does add a substantial hit, so you might have to adjust some of your settings.

Old 29th October 2020, 22:25   #60494  |  Link
Asmodian

I entirely agree with VBB, but adding my own explanations too.

It doesn't necessarily double the rendering time but it can increase the overhead for presenting frames a lot. On my system it outputs five times the number of frames (120 from 23.976). Smooth motion is nearly the last step so it does not increase the number of frames for most of madVR's processing but dithering is after smooth motion. Because of this it is very helpful to switch to ordered dithering when using smooth motion. I like ordered dithering on my OLEDs anyway but I liked ED more on plasma or LCD. Still, ordered dithering is very high quality while being much faster than error diffusion.

I do not have my display set to 23.976 Hz, it is always at 120 Hz. At very low refresh rates smooth motion is bad and when refresh rate matches the frame rate smooth motion should not be used. The refresh rate needs to be above 2x the frame rate for smooth motion to output good quality.

No dreaded soap opera effect.

Have you seen the diagram in the third post of the link in my signature? It is helpful when trying to understand what is going on.
Old 29th October 2020, 23:02   #60495  |  Link
huhn

smooth motion only outputs about 48 different frames a sec at 120 HZ with a 23p/24p source a lot of frames which are identical(so it's doing nothing except for the first one) and 1 blended in between when it overlaps with he next frame.

you can use MPC HC with statics and madVR using windowed old path to get the rough numbers. at 47 fps it'S only slowing rising. there is a "chance" for smooth to do nothing and it is not applied on the first source frame so the number is a little lower then the actual number presented.

maybe worth testing if madVR is in this case more efficient with dithering because it is true not outputting more frames.

roughly you are outputting double the frame rate when the display refreshrate is double or more.
Old 29th October 2020, 23:14   #60496  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zind1703 View Post
What gives you AV1 today?
And does anyone know when the H266 encoder will arrive?
Netflix. Youtube. More will come once there's more devices out there that support it.
Old 30th October 2020, 00:03   #60497  |  Link
VBB

The way I see it, at 100/120Hz the only benefit of SM is the zero frame drop/repeat. Everything goes into 100/119/120 evenly, so even pull-down is no longer needed for judder-free motion. I would set madVR to only switch between those three frequencies. Am I wrong?

Old 30th October 2020, 00:14   #60498  |  Link
huhn

sounds good. makes frame interpolation impossible i see this as a bonus.
Old 30th October 2020, 00:21   #60499  |  Link
VBB

A short and non-confrontational reply from huhn is really all I could ask for

Old 30th October 2020, 01:00   #60500  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
smooth motion only outputs about 48 different frames a sec at 120 HZ with a 23p/24p source a lot of frames which are identical(so it's doing nothing except for the first one) and 1 blended in between when it overlaps with he next frame.
Ah, good point, I was only thinking about frames presented when I wrote that (display at 23.976 Hz v.s. 120 Hz). madVR has to dither and calibrate a lot fewer frames than it presents, even with smooth motion, and it always presents the same number of frames at the same refresh rate (D3D11 and present every v-sync).

Internally smooth motion can output both frames that will be presented multiple times and frames that won't be. I just never think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
maybe worth testing if madVR is in this case more efficient with dithering because it is true not outputting more frames.
Hmm, I do notice a much bigger hit from ED v.s. ordered dithering when smooth motion is enabled but I have not quantified it. It could be a simple 2x.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling