Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 13th July 2017, 04:17   #26241  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I stole 'em. You're not the only one with social issues.
Quote:
Sorry, but no. Did I say I would? If so, I think I lost the bubble on it.
Haaaahaaaahaa!! Before I looked at the next reply, I was thinking the same way, JD!
Old 13th July 2017, 04:55   #26242  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigafuture View Post
niiiiiiiiiiccceeeee quote!!! *slaps you on the back!!* attaboy!! *gives big hug!*
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 09:51   #26243  |  Link
Sharc

Making a Full backup of a disc with 1 Feature and 2 Extras (all VC-1).
I selected "Quicker Encode for Extras". Nevertheless Extra 1 was encoded 2-pass i.e. same as the Feature. Extra 2 was encoded 1-pass CRF (as expected).
Is this possibly a bug?
Perhaps to add that Extra 1 was quite large (14.4GB), Extra 2 was 1.5 GB, the feature was 26.4GB.
In the .ini I set the option "QUICK_USE_QUALITY=1", but I would have assumed that this affects only the encoder quality settings but not the mode which should still be 1-pass CRF for all Extras.

Secondly: Since v0.50.24 the .log is no longer written (or updated) to the HD. Is there as setting for this which I missed?

Last edited by Sharc; 15th July 2017 at 09:54.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 20:55   #26244  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
I selected "Quicker Encode for Extras". Nevertheless Extra 1 was encoded 2-pass i.e. same as the Feature. Extra 2 was encoded 1-pass CRF (as expected).
Is this possibly a bug?
Perhaps to add that Extra 1 was quite large (14.4GB), Extra 2 was 1.5 GB, the feature was 26.4GB.
In the .ini I set the option "QUICK_USE_QUALITY=1", but I would have assumed that this affects only the encoder quality settings but not the mode which should still be 1-pass CRF for all Extras.

Secondly: Since v0.50.24 the .log is no longer written (or updated) to the HD. Is there as setting for this which I missed?
Yeah, I've had that happen a number of times when any of the Xtras are somewhat large. don't have a solution though, sorry...
Old 15th July 2017, 21:03   #26245  |  Link
bryrabknowles

Are there any plans for conversion to DTS be added in the future, or are there reasons that dcaenc isn't implemented into BDRB? Usually I externally convert DD+ to DTS with LameXP before importing to BDRB, which on Full Disc reencodes then requires a MultiAVCHD reauthor beforehand. Would be nice to skip the extra steps if possible.
bryrabknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 21:20   #26246  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryrabknowles View Post
Are there any plans for conversion to DTS be added in the future, or are there reasons that dcaenc isn't implemented into BDRB? Usually I externally convert DD+ to DTS with LameXP before importing to BDRB, which on Full Disc reencodes then requires a MultiAVCHD reauthor beforehand. Would be nice to skip the extra steps if possible.
LameXP outputs DTS? What encoder does it use?
Old 15th July 2017, 21:25   #26247  |  Link
bryrabknowles

Quote:
LameXP outputs DTS? What encoder does it use?
It uses dcaenc.

Last edited by bryrabknowles; 15th July 2017 at 21:33.
Old 15th July 2017, 21:25   #26248  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Is this possibly a bug?

There's really no definitive way for BD-RB to definitively identify which is the feature when there are multiple large playlists. It just makes an educated guess.

Not writing to the log file? I'll have to check that. There've been no changes to that code in ages.
Old 15th July 2017, 21:43   #26249  |  Link
bryrabknowles

I don't think I ever explained my other question very well.

BDRB stops Multiprocessing from being used on smaller files during a Full Disc Reencode.

When using Multiprocessing, I find that I get better results if I lower the number of threads used. For Multiprocess=12, I set Threads=1.

This works great for the main feature.

The problem I run into is when BDRB processes the smaller files on the disc that default back to only 1 process, the program still uses Threads=1. I was hoping you might include a fix for this in hidden options so that BDRB knows to use a different number of threads for those files.

For Multiprocess=0, the program would use the number of threads defined in Threads=y
For Multiprocess=x>0, the program would use the number of threads defined in Threads_MP=y
Old 15th July 2017, 21:51   #26250  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
There's really no definitive way for BD-RB to definitively identify which is the feature when there are multiple large playlists. It just makes an educated guess.

Not writing to the log file? I'll have to check that. There've been no changes to that code in ages.
This kind of ties in with what I had written about a few pages ago. Do you suppose it would be a big task for you to include a 'simple' tab in the menu where one COULD indeed indicate (maybe from a drop down list) which playlist is the 'main movie' file and which are the Xtras? That would be awesome, because in the uncommon case that I was mentioning before, I was extracting from a series disc (UFO) the last bonus disc, where in this case, one of the Xtras was larger than the one episode on the disc.

Do you think it would be workable to have a place in the menu 'simply' to select which is which so BDRB will 'know'...?
Old 15th July 2017, 23:21   #26251  |  Link
Sharc

...or perhaps by a right-click on the VID_0000... stream in the Stream tab (similar to Preview / Blank this Item ....), for example "Set as Extra".
Old 16th July 2017, 01:52   #26252  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
...or perhaps by a right-click on the VID_0000... stream in the Stream tab (similar to Preview / Blank this Item ....), for example "Set as Extra".
Hey, not bad Sharc! You know... it doesn't happen very often, but now and then you really come up with a great idea!
Old 16th July 2017, 02:22   #26253  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryrabknowles View Post
Usually I externally convert DD+ to DTS
What do you hope to gain by doing that?
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 02:42   #26254  |  Link
MrVideo

Instead of dcaenc, why not the better replacement: ffdcaenc
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 11:09   #26255  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I see. And when in doubt which one is the true Feature BD-RB decides to encode both like a Feature (which makes sense in probably most cases).
Old 16th July 2017, 14:17   #26256  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I see. And when in doubt which one is the true Feature BD-RB decides to encode both like a Feature (which makes sense in probably most cases).
Yes. It uses several checks to make the determination. One is that it assumes anything larger than 5 billion bytes is a feature. I used that number after comparing several "series" BDs. But, of course, it can't always be right.
Old 16th July 2017, 14:18   #26257  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yeah, that would be a good way to do it.
Old 16th July 2017, 14:20   #26258  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I tested it on my system and it is working correctly. Not sure why it would be different on yours. Do you have BD-RB installed in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" perhaps? If you do it's possible that Windows is virtualizing and writing the output to another location. It started doing that with Windows Vista, I believe.

[Edit] But... that could only happen if your Working Folder were there too... which is not very likely. So I really have no idea why it isn't working on yours.

Last edited by jdobbs; 16th July 2017 at 14:26.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 15:14   #26259  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I tested it on my system and it is working correctly. Not sure why it would be different on yours. Do you have BD-RB installed in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" perhaps? If you do it's possible that Windows is virtualizing and writing the output to another location. It started doing that with Windows Vista, I believe.

[Edit] But... that could only happen if your Working Folder were there too... which is not very likely. So I really have no idea why it isn't working on yours.
Thanks for checking. Nothing of above applies for my installation, weird. I tried to trace the case back and I suspect now that it came with a Win10 update or with another program installation. I'll wait for the next OS update to see whether it will revert to normal behaviour.
Old 16th July 2017, 16:54   #26260  |  Link
bryrabknowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
What do you hope to gain by doing that?
Slightly better audio quality than 640kbps ac3 that maintains backwards compatibility with SPDIF.