Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 22nd October 2011, 04:05   #13281  |  Link
xterminater

jdobbs did you get my post?
xterminater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:53   #13282  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterminater View Post
jdobbs did you get my post?
Yeah. I don't own "Lion King" yet and frankly my donations aren't even coming close to covering my losses in purchases... and I'm having trouble justifying any more "only for testing" buys. I bought three new movies for testing this week alone (none of which were movies I personally wanted) -- and have to balance that against a single donation that doesn't even cover one of them.

So I'm not sure how long it will be before I can test it. In the meantime I guess I can look at the code and see if I can find an error in my sizing algorithms. But that's about all I can do. Sorry.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd October 2011 at 04:57.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:57   #13283  |  Link
xterminater

Oh no problem at all ^_^. I didn't know if there were too many posts and you missed mine by accident! For these testing only backup that you need to confirm, why don't you just go to blockbuster and rent them to test and return the bluray? I know this is "pirating" but it's not like you're distributing these back up and making a profit, you're just using your wits but do not have the financial to do so. I don't think it make sense for you to buy everyone's failed backup and testing them because that is absurd, and cost a ridiculous amount of money!
Old 22nd October 2011, 04:59   #13284  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Oh no problem at all ^_^. I didn't know if there were too many posts and you missed mine by accident! For these testing only backup that you need to confirm, why don't you just go to blockbuster and rent them to test and return the bluray? I know this is "pirating" but it's not like you're distributing these back up and making a profit, you're just using your wits but do not have the financial to do so. I don't think it make sense for you to buy everyone's failed backup and testing them because that is absurd, and cost a ridiculous amount of money!
Let's change the subject back to bug reports. My fault for veering off course.

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd October 2011 at 05:14.
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:19   #13285  |  Link
Chuckwagon

Subtitles Always On - Was this resolved?

I have run across an issue, that I know was reported a few months back, where subtitles are always on. I was making a "Movie & Menus Backup" of Star Trek VI to a BD-25 and the completed backup has subtitles on even though they are set to off. I looked at those older posts but I didn't see if any resolution to the issue had been found. Was there any resolution to this issue, or would you like me to provide additional info to help track it down? If it hasn't been resolved I'd be happy to make more back-ups to see if it helps.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:08   #13286  |  Link
xterminater

Jdobbs its ok np.. That just my 2 cents. Do you think it has something to do with it detecting dif frames in that bluray? I have noticed before when I did a backup with usually 3 audio track(commentaries and main) it goes over to 110%, then at the end it come to 100%.
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:40   #13287  |  Link
worknstiff

@ xterminater n RE: It came out to 8.89GB ... All my other back up were fine beside this one, and other one was oversized too! But we'll take care of this one first!

Thanks To: omegaman7's post (http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=13211)
I've noticed with some Blu Ray discs, the output size is sometimes smaller than ~22.5Gb by about the same size I've blanked. E.g. blank 1Gb, and it's 21.5Gb. So yes, the output size is somewhat erratic. However, I find it to be within reason. Ones that I've blanked, with NO_REENCODE, and then rerun through Bd-rebuilder, yield a better output size. Haven't tried star wars. I'm a trekkie :S

I had replied that I was getting consistantly undersized or oversized output also using Movie & Menus & Backup mode. I started doing like omegaman7 suggested. Run Movie & Menu mode with target set at 50,000. This results in keeping the original video, no recode, and only takes about 20 or 30 minutes to finish. Then run it back thru BD_Rebuilder in full backup and set to whatever you originally targeted for the size of your backup. This has worked for me and always gets really close to the target I set for 24,200 size. I always get 98% or 99% of the BD-R disk full. It works great and it's worth the extra 20 minutes to not spend hours getting undersized or especially OVERSIZED output. Many thanks to jdobbs for this great peice of kit, and thanks to omegaman7 for his tip.
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:55   #13288  |  Link
worknstiff

@ Chuckwagon RE: Subtitles Always On - Was this resolved?
I seem to get this problem at times where BD_RB changes the order of the subs that are kept and turned on in the finished encode. The last one I did was, "A Better LIfe", which had the #1 English sub turned on. Instead the disk played the always on screen #2 sub. I don't know why the order of the subs were changed but if you run the finished encode back thru BD_RD again and select the #2 sub as the one turned on it will only take 20 minutes to fix the problem. Good Luck, worknstiff
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:27   #13289  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Jdobbs its ok np.. That just my 2 cents. Do you think it has something to do with it detecting dif frames in that bluray? I have noticed before when I did a backup with usually 3 audio track(commentaries and main) it goes over to 110%, then at the end it come to 100%.
I had to add some new code for adjusting sizing prediction as parts are blanked/unblanked. I'd bet the problem is there. I doubt that the audio selection is the problem since that's been unchanged for quite some time. I'll fix it.
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:31   #13290  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
I have run across an issue, that I know was reported a few months back, where subtitles are always on. I was making a "Movie & Menus Backup" of Star Trek VI to a BD-25 and the completed backup has subtitles on even though they are set to off. I looked at those older posts but I didn't see if any resolution to the issue had been found. Was there any resolution to this issue, or would you like me to provide additional info to help track it down? If it hasn't been resolved I'd be happy to make more back-ups to see if it helps.
I've never been able to repeat this -- and I always keep all subtitles on all sources. Are you preprocessing in any way? I seem to remember that as the issue in previous reports.
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:51   #13291  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I've never been able to repeat this -- and I always keep all subtitles on all sources. Are you preprocessing in any way? I seem to remember that as the issue in previous reports.
I previously reported that True Blood season 3 had this issue on full backups to BD9, which I believe you confirmed. The problem did not happen on movie only backups to BD5/9 though.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:57   #13292  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I previously reported that True Blood season 3 had this issue on full backups to BD9, which I believe you confirmed. The problem did not happen on movie only backups to BD5/9 though.
I guess that's why I said "seem to remember"... so that's why I had that disc sitting on my hard drive. You say I repeated it? Hmmm...

[Edit] I just went back through the threads. There was a problem with DTS decoding on True Blood (which I fixed via DirectshowSource), but I don't see where I could repeat a problem with subtitles. I'm not even sure how that could happen since they are simply demuxed and remuxed (unless resized).

Last edited by jdobbs; 22nd October 2011 at 17:18.
Old 22nd October 2011, 16:13   #13293  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
I guess that's why I said "seem to remember"... so that's why I had that disc sitting on my hard drive. You say I repeated it? Hmmm...
It was around that same time of the DTS decoding problem.
I can't remember for sure, but I will search too.

You reported here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716&page=622

Last edited by Capsbackup; 22nd October 2011 at 16:26.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:02   #13294  |  Link
worknstiff

You could try, A Better Life, in Movie only BD9, set 2nd ENG sub to on and it will end up with 1st ENG sub on.
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:22   #13295  |  Link
Chuckwagon

Quote:
Quote:
I was able to figure out what was happening, at least with this disc. It turns out that subtitles are always on, there isn't really a "none" choice, even though that choice exists in the "settings" menu on the disc. There are 3 English subtitle tracks on the disc, and when "none" is selected, the disc is really using the 3rd English subtitle track, which only has subs for when an alien language is being translated, like when a Klingon is speaking.

On my setup BDRB is only keeping 1 subtitle track for each language (is that the default setting, I can't remember) and in this case, since the disc seems to force subs on all the time, the one it keeps is the one that always has text for all the speaking parts. If the 3rd track is manually selected instead of the 1st one, then things behave "normally." So for this disc, the solution would be to keep at least those two subs tracks instead of only one for English.

I don't know if this solution works for the other discs that have shown similar behavior, but it seems worknstiff also may have seen a similar solution, where it's just a matter of which sub track the movie would normally be forcing on, one that has text all the time vs one that only subs intermittently.

So my issue is resolved, but I don't know if this fixes the other's subs always on issues.

Last edited by Chuckwagon; 22nd October 2011 at 20:32.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:47   #13296  |  Link
MrT.

is 18.6 GB considered an undersize concern? The original video was 33 GB (target BD-25). Settings was on auto and it did (easy) but two passes. This was VC-1, I think I did another VC-1 BD a month ago and it also outputed 18.6 GB.
MrT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:00   #13297  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I was able to figure out what was happening, at least with this disc. It turns out that subtitles are always on, there isn't really a "none" choice, even though that choice exists in the "settings" menu on the disc. There are 3 English subtitle tracks on the disc, and when "none" is selected, the disc is really using the 3rd English subtitle track, which only has subs for when an alien language is being translated, like when a Klingon is speaking.

On my setup BDRB is only keeping 1 subtitle track for each language (is that the default setting, I can't remember) and in this case, since the disc seems to force subs on all the time, the one it keeps is the one that always has text for all the speaking parts. If the 3rd track is manually selected instead of the 1st one, then things behave "normally." So for this disc, the solution would be to keep at least those two subs tracks instead of only one for English.

I don't know if this solution works for the other discs that have shown similar behavior, but it seems worknstiff also may have seen a similar solution, where it's just a matter of which sub track the movie would normally be forcing on, one that has text all the time vs one that only subs intermittently.

So my issue is resolved, but I don't know if this fixes the other's subs always on issues.
Thanks for the analysis and feedback. Now it makes complete sense. When subtitles are removed, the references to them aren't actually removed -- only the subtitle stream itself. In order to prevent "goofy" behaviour (by BD-J or pre/post commands), the references to removed streams are kept intact but are all modified to point to the first kept subtitle stream. So when yours tries to turn on title 3 -- it's actually turning on title 1.

While it's completely legal to do it that way, the more common method is to have a single stream of subtitles -- but set the "force on" flag for instances that are required (like foreign languages such as Klingon). That's probably the reason this happens so rarely. I personally never see it because I always keep all subtitles.

Unfortunately there's really no way I can think of to know when this is being done.
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:04   #13298  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT. View Post
is 18.6 GB considered an undersize concern? The original video was 33 GB (target BD-25). Settings was on auto and it did (easy) but two passes. This was VC-1, I think I did another VC-1 BD a month ago and it also outputed 18.6 GB.
If it reencodes and comes out to 18.6GB -- yes, it is a concern. If it says "keeping original video" and comes out small then no, because it is simply using the original video size and the undersize is due to removed tracks. If I understand correctly yours is reencoding. That means there is a problem.
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:21   #13299  |  Link
MrT.

yes it is, here's a log.
[Status]
LABEL=JURASSIC_PARK_1993_BLU-RAY
VERSION=v0.39.01 (beta)
SOURCE_SIZE=42480602907
SOURCE_VIDEO_SIZE=42093699072
TARGET_SIZE=24641536000
REDUCTION=.576205767127122
RESIZE_1080=0
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=-1
SUBS_TO_KEEP=eng;fra;fre;
BACKUP_MODE=0
MOVIEONLY_TYPE=0
USE_LAVF=0
QUICK=0
ENCODE_STEP=0
COMPLETED=27
REBUILD_COMPLETE=1
[00800]
AUDIO=100
PGS=10101
VIDEO2=0
V2MBRATE=0
M2TS_TARGET=20448571994
RATE=13921
NSTART=27000000
NEND=368846400
NSIZE=19620845568
FLINK=0
MLINK=0

Does everything check out?
MrT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:23   #13300  |  Link
jdobbs

@xterminater

When you did the movie-and-menus backup of "Lion King" did you use the blanked selections set by BD-RB, or did you do any additional blank/unblank editing?