Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th December 2014, 23:58   #1  |  Link
HulkHoganRules

Can this be deinterlaced properly?

Hi

I'm part of a forum where users have a particular capture device for capturing video game content. Most users are capturing older consoles via Composite or S-Video (interlaced).

However, I am having some difficulty figuring out how to properly deinterlace the clips that the capture device outputs.

Here is the raw .ts sample: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6m...wlam/sample.ts

The software has an option to convert that ts to mp4 so I've included the mp4 version also just in case: http://www.mediafire.com/download/18...hrp/themp4.mp4

The main problem is that no deinterlacing method I've tried produces good results (although I don't know much about the subject, sorry). Since the older consoles output 60 fps, we want to achieve a progressive 60 fps video from sources such as the above. My attempts at using deinterlacers have never been able to achieve this.

I was about to just completely give up on this but I guess someone far above my level here can maybe help out.

Thanks a lot
HulkHoganRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 04:36   #2  |  Link
huhn

the problem should be the capture card or recording program.

a snes is outputting "Progressive: 256×224, 512×224, 256×239, 512×239
Interlaced: 512×448, 512×478"

source wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_N...specifications

the samples are 720x480 30i the NTSC DVD spec so it is scaled ontop of it it is a reencode not a lossless recording that is subsampled to 4:2:0.

if you scale a interlaced video vertical it's pretty much destroyed and it looks like that's the case here.

next have a log at this:
http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/rgb_compare.html

if possible you want to capture the RGB signal from such a gaming console.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 14:24   #3  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkHoganRules View Post
However, I am having some difficulty figuring out how to properly deinterlace the clips that the capture device outputs.
I cannot look at your sample right now but I have captured from these old consoles before so if your capture is otherwise fine the processing should be no different to mine.

Basically, what older consoles such as NES, SNES, N64 and the PS1 output via composite or S-Video (or RGB) is 240p/288p, which is technically almost the same as regular 480i/576i, the only difference being the picture really is not interlaced – although it is captured as such (!) (this is normal).
The signal differs slightly from standard interlaced signals in the way it makes a CRTs electron beam scan across the screen. All the lines will be drawn "on top of each other" rather than inbetween each other, which would be regular interlaced scanning. This results in a perfectly calm picture on a CRT without any interline twitter at all (and there would be loads otherwise since the games run at such low resolutions).

You may also want to have a look at this and some of the following posts for a more detailed explanation: Capturing LDTV 240p/288p s-video from retro game consoles.

Anyways, so all you really need to do is separate the fields of your 480i capture and point-resize them to twice the height. The resizing is not ultimately needed, but it retains the pixelated look of these games. That's why all the intelligent bob-deinterlacers will look ugly with their interpolation.

You will love PointBob().
The result is a 60/50 fps 480p/576p video without any interpolation, just pixel doubling.

Code:
# Requires YUY2 or RGB.

Function PointBob(clip Input)
	{	
		Order = Getparity(Input)# ? False : True
		Input = Input.SeparateFields.PointResize(Input.Width, Input.Height)
		Even  = Input.SelectEven() 
		Odd   = Input.SelectOdd() 
		Even = Order ? Even.Crop(0, 1, 0, 0).AddBorders(0, 0, 0, 1) : Even
		Odd  = Order ? Odd  : Odd .Crop(0, 1, 0, 0).AddBorders(0, 0, 0, 1)
		Interleave(Even, Odd).AssumeFrameBased()
		Order ? AssumeTFF() : AssumeBFF()

}

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a snes is outputting "Progressive: 256×224, 512×224, 256×239, 512×239
Interlaced: 512×448, 512×478"
These are resolutions the SNES renders with, but the output is always wrapped in a NTSC or PAL signal which can only be captured as 576i or 480i. So it is correct to capture in standard 480i/576i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
if possible you want to capture the RGB signal from such a gaming console.
Quite difficult, because only very few pieces of hardware are capable of capturing RGB, let alone the fact that these old consoles usually do not output RGB without modifications and cables that are hard to find. S-Video is really not bad at all.

Last edited by TheSkiller; 30th December 2014 at 14:54.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 16:41   #4  |  Link
TheSkiller

OK, maybe someone knows why: The posted sample (sample.ts) causes LSMASHSource to throw an error message (access violation) and FFvideoSource decodes the frames in the wrong order?!
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 18:25   #5  |  Link
manolito

DSS2Mod with preroll set to 15 had no problem with it...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 23:55   #6  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

DGDecNV also has no problem with it.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deinterlacing