Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 7th July 2022, 15:33   #1  |  Link
OldMainframeGuy

Removing black borders from video with VirtualDub2

Greetings. I have videos (MP4) which have black borders when I play them with video players such as PotPlayer and Windows Media Player . When I load the video into VirtualDub2, I do not see the borders so I can't remove them with cropping. I want to encode the files as AVI without the borders. Is there a way to do this with VirtualDub2? Sorry if this has already been answered; the advice I find on the Internet is "load the file into VirtualDub2 and crop the black border" but VD2 is not showing the borders.

Running Windows 10 21H2.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Rob
OldMainframeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2022, 18:00   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Hello and welcome to the forum

I would say that if you cannot see the borders in VDub2, then there are no borders.
Maybe its just the settings that you are using in PotPlayer [I dont gonna mention WMP].
Suggest Settings/AspectRatio/
Keep Aspect Ratio(Recommended), and Default Display AR (Recommended)
and as it plays, hit CTRL/F5 to cycle around the half dozen possibilities.

If further probs, post a sample for the guys. [also your PotPlayer Aspect Ratio Settings]
(Please say if no longer a problem)

Dont know why you would want it in AVI (Maybe for your Old MainFrame running W10 21H2 ).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 7th July 2022 at 18:53.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2022, 20:00   #3  |  Link
OldMainframeGuy

Solved

StainlessS - Many thanks for your suggestion. What fixed the problem with PotPlayer was checking "Adjust AR to Window size" in the Aspect Ratio dialog box. When I maximized the PotPlayer window it gave me two frame sizes - 1920x1080 and 608x1080. I re-encoded the video using the perspective filter specifying 608 & 1080 as width and height. Now the video's frame size is 608x1080. The issue with the previous frame size was that it would not play on my the video player attached to my TV because it exceeded HD specifications.

In any case my problem is solved - thank you for your advice.

Rob
OldMainframeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote