Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 21st September 2018, 13:34   #52641  |  Link
iakoboss7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakoboss7 View Post
do you know how to fix it?

this is a first for me (didnt even happen with v0.92.15 )
Quote:
Originally Posted by iakoboss7 View Post
just installed v0.92.16 and for the first time ever in full screen i can see the windows taskbar. this has never ever happened before in the 3 years i use madvr with mpc-hc.

anyone facing the same problem?
ok after a restart it fixed itself!
iakoboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 14:05   #52642  |  Link
blu3wh0

I'm probably going to continue using HDR pass-through as that seems the only way to utilize the higher brightness levels of my LG B7. HDR to SDR looks very good now for tone-mapping, but the brightness in SDR holds it back. I also utilize the dynamic tone-mapping on the TV to bring it closer to how it would look like in Dolby Vision. Are there any plans to add dynamic tone-mapping (if even possible) for HDR pixel processing to HDR output? Also, I didn't notice it in the profile variables, can display bitdepth output be added as a parameter? I'm currently using display refresh rate to decide between 8/10 bit output from madVR.
blu3wh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 15:32   #52643  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouonsoku View Post
Increasing the nits doesn't fix the super strong red hue, but they have to be that low to avoid the intense black crush that also happens with the HDR process setting. It was also set to 150 / 400 to make it easier to see the red problem in the photos.
It sounds bugged if you are getting crushed blacks at higher target nits. It should be the same.

Part of the problem is that madVR may send a value to the display that is supposed to be shown at an exact nits and the display's tone mapping curve may be designed to show the same PQ value at a different brightness. I'm not sure how the Panasonic "HDR Optimizer" gets around this. It only seems to impact the top of curve in the screenshots I've seen. I would think this feature would only work well for displays that closely follow the PQ curve and roll-off.

Edit: I looked at a review of the Panansonic pre-tone mapping feature that also used an LG C7 and it was tone mapping the result to a preset of 1,000 nits. So it was actually above the brightness of the display when the reviewer was glowing about its effectiveness.

I don't know how sending a signal with an altered brightness response is tone mapped by a display expecting a standard brightness response from a standard PQ source.

Last edited by Warner306; 21st September 2018 at 18:45.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2018, 16:32   #52644  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
AMD guys, better stay away from driver 18.9.2! Can't use D3D11 10bit mode in madvr with latest 18.9.2. Reverted back to 18.8.2 and it works again.
i've had all sorts of issues since the latest MADVR update, black screens HDMI loss mainly but also on occasion MADVR failing to load at all, I ended up going back to AMD 18.8.1 and MADVR v0.92.14
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:39   #52645  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
i've had all sorts of issues since the latest MADVR update, black screens HDMI loss mainly but also on occasion MADVR failing to load at all, I ended up going back to AMD 18.8.1 and MADVR v0.92.14
You are still protesting a color change that was fixed by setting madVR to BT.2020? How exactly will this get this issue fixed?

I can’t understand why you are interested in this hobby when your PC breaks every month or so. I just play stuff almost every day and watch it. I don’t know why you seem to have so many issues.

You would have to narrow down the exact driver version and all of the exact settings to reproduce the issue and madshi would to have somehow reproduce the problem.
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:55   #52646  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Hmm, on the latest madVR if I uncheck "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" and switch to non-FSE fullscreen mode, my screen flickers black. With D3D11 enabled everything is fine. That's on Windows 10 r1803 with a GeForce GTX 1080 and driver version 399.24 (heard people were having issues with the new 411 series so I haven't updated yet). I don't think v0.92.14 had this issue but I haven't checked yet.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 18:15   #52647  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.92.15 released
Thanks madshi for your continued work on madVR. And thanks for reading 100 pages of comments. I can't imagine the nightmare it must have been.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 19:02   #52648  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
You are still protesting a color change that was fixed by setting madVR to BT.2020? How exactly will this get this issue fixed?

I can’t understand why you are interested in this hobby when your PC breaks every month or so. I just play stuff almost every day and watch it. I don’t know why you seem to have so many issues.

You would have to narrow down the exact driver version and all of the exact settings to reproduce the issue and madshi would to have somehow reproduce the problem.
EDIT - the colour sat issue which is fixed by calibrating for BT2020, no idea why this fixes it, that it does should tell whoever knows how MADVR and CALIBRATION works what is going on here, this is why its odd nobdy seems to be able to help with this.

watching movies is the hobby, how I get my machine stable isnt.

i've had some bad luck with hardware, i'm also pretty skint so everything I buy is used so that does lead to some extra issues.

However, if I just left my machine as is i'd have no issues as I have workarounds. Whenever a new driver or madvr release comes out I feel the need to test it to see if it cures either of my two issues which i've had for ages, the colour sat issue and the HDMI loss coming out of 3D movies.

You'd think simply rolling back would revert everything back to working again but this is rarely the case, I do usually manage to get back to working fairly quickly though.

I dont know what else I can give MADSHI to help with either issue to be honest, I've asked, perhaps if more people had the problem MADSHI could give it some time but it appears there is a small subset of people with similar hardware, setups and players.

I cant blame MADSHI for wanted to give both issues a low priority as there only seems to be me and maybe 1 or 2 other people with the colour sat issue, so few people play 3D MVC movies theses days this is an even smaller dwindling subset and so I doubt my black screen HDMI loss issue with ever be fixed.

Because i'm here a lot it probably seems like I have a lot of problems., I dont really, at the end of the day i have a fully working system and thoroughly enjoy using it on a daily basis.

Last edited by mclingo; 22nd September 2018 at 19:06.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 20:17   #52649  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
411.63 broke NV HDR for me. When starting an HDR video the TV flashes the HDR icon a few times but then returns to SDR mode. Went back to 399.24 and it's working again.
OS HDR still works with 411.63 though.

This is on Win10 1803, 1050Ti, LG Oled C8.

Anyone able to confirm the broken NV HDR with 411.63?
Same here with 411.63. The TV flashes the image in HDR for an instant, then goes back to SDR. But if I go full-screen the TV will go back to HDR mode. It seems that now it only works when the player is in full screen.
Another issue (but I think that's just me, my set up) is that the colors don't look right, they don't pop. That also happened before, but turning on and off HDR in madVR settings could fix it, now I can't figure it out
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 21:04   #52650  |  Link
mrmarioman

Okay, just tried to play an HDR video enabling HDR in Windows, and with 'let madvr decide' option, and for the first time it works flawlessly! Must be something about the new Nvidia drivers, I think.
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2018, 22:11   #52651  |  Link
SamuriHL

It is. That driver sucks for HDR. Most of us went back to 399 until nVidia can be bothered to fix it.
Old 23rd September 2018, 04:21   #52652  |  Link
chinobino

All working great here, thx madshi!

LG 55" 4K TV
OS HDR Enabled 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 using HDMI 2.0a
GTX1060 on driver 411.63 WHQL
Windows 10 x64 1803
madVR v0.92.16 in D3D11 fullscreen Windowed mode (10-bit)

I was previously using 8-bit RGB Full range (via nvidia control panel) but when I switched over to 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 I noticed that all banding was completely gone.

I then tested 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 and had no issues so I'm going to stick with it for now (my TV panel is probably 8-bit with FRC, lol) even though I'm likely not gaining anything.

I have always had madVR set to remove banding artifacts (on 'high') and dithering with DX11 but the banding comes back when output is set to 8-bit RGB.

Colour accuracy vs no banding, I'll take the no banding option.
chinobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 08:03   #52653  |  Link
hajosattila

Interesting! I try this...Thanks!

How many bits of native display bit depth output in madVR?

sorry for my bad english...

Last edited by hajosattila; 23rd September 2018 at 08:11.
hajosattila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:02   #52654  |  Link
el Filou

rules for that option:
1. never higher than what you set the display output of your graphics card to (the GPU itself would then dither down instead of madVR - bad)
2. the display output bit depth of your graphics card should be set to what you know your TV accepts and doesn't process down, otherwise your TV would also dither down instead of madVR (also bad). If you don't know for sure that second information, choose 8 bit everywhere.
(Edit: some people argue that some displays have temporal dithering (FRC) as good as madVR's dithering, but I would need to see a side-by-side test to be convinced)

Last edited by el Filou; 23rd September 2018 at 10:05.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 14:16   #52655  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
@madshi, i'm not complaining with you, neither finger pointing. i'm just wondering if maybe it's possible to fine tuning something madvr side to make HDR auto switch more reliable.
wierd, since my problems the other day where I had to reinstall MADVR to v0.92.14, KODI DS and AMD to 18.8.1 my colour sat problem has gone away.

I've checked all my settings and nothing has changed, cant work it out at all.
Old 23rd September 2018, 15:06   #52656  |  Link
famasfilms

Just did a clean reinstall of windows 10, MPC-HC, Lav and MadVR.

Everything was working fine before - now I can only get HDR passthrough to my LG OLED in windowed mode, going full screen turns it off.

Is this because of new Nvidia drivers? I'm about to go out so don't have time to read the last few pages.

i5-6600
GTX 970
LG 950/9500 OLED

Edit* ticking automatic fullscreen exclusive mode brought back HDR in full screen

Last edited by famasfilms; 23rd September 2018 at 15:13.
famasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 16:11   #52657  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Arf, too bad. I'm about to go out too, so I don't have time to answer you.
CU !
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 16:17   #52658  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
wierd, since my problems the other day where I had to reinstall MADVR to v0.92.14, KODI DS and AMD to 18.8.1 my colour sat problem has gone away.

I've checked all my settings and nothing has changed, cant work it out at all.
There would be three likely reasons why BT.2020 would fix your color problem: madVR is sending BT.2020 to the display and your display is actually configured for a BT.2020/DCI-P3 color space; madVR is sending BT.2020 to the video driver and the video driver is sending BT.709 to the display; or madVR is sending BT.709 rather than BT.2020 to the video driver.

If you check the OSD, it should report what madVR thinks it is sending.
Old 23rd September 2018, 17:35   #52659  |  Link
wolfman2791

I'm getting an error message trying to download the last version. Anyone else having a problem?
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 17:46   #52660  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
an error message
Why don't you quote it exactly?

I don't have any issues downloading.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling