Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 15th March 2019, 14:58   #21  |  Link
dr_ml422

I was lucky and used the 3 phrase option to finish rebuilding that oversized .iso. The file was still there and so something told me to hit the rebuild button. Since it wasn't converted to a .iso it came out very nice just a tad larger. The issue is even when it targets on point using the ImgBurn option to burn as iso adds a tad more as is normal. The copies are great! Quality is way better than any compression/transcoding app out there. I might lower the default a tad to compensate for any oversizing whether .iso related or not.

How's the DVD-BD Pro coming along? There is a nice quality upgrade with Blu-ray imho. Excuse the separate post, the mobile version doesn't let me save the edit.
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2019, 22:13   #22  |  Link
jdobbs

I have no plans to have a BD-RB Pro version. I only accept voluntary donations.
Old 17th March 2019, 01:22   #23  |  Link
dr_ml422

My bad, I thought there was one because of the DVD-RB Pro. I'm noticing the slight increase in output with episodic DVDs. Might just be too much to get quality when source is almost 8GB. I'll revert back to Default and put a regular DVD in see what happens. Thanks. I'll check out the BD-Rebuilder soon enough.
Old 17th March 2019, 06:48   #24  |  Link
manolito

It's nice to see that I am not the only person left who still creates DVDs...

You might be interested in having another high quality choice for the encoder in DVD-RB. Take a look here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...65#post1698765

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 07:48   #25  |  Link
dr_ml422

[QUOTE=manolito;1869122]It's nice to see that I am not the only person left who still creates DVDs...

You might be interested in having another high quality choice for the encoder in DVD-RB. Take a look here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...65#post1698765

Thanks manolito. It's really great to have alternatives as something always pops up. Is this good to go w/the Pro Version of DVD-RB?

I'm also going to give that Avs2dvd a go. What do you think about it? Only ones I'm using now is ConvertXtoVideo and VidCoder. Seems VSO doesn't want to pay the h.264 fee because that's what's down along with the Hardware Optimization not working.

They use ffmpeg for their software. In ConvertXToDVD they also optimize the output as it's almost always @2.7gb more or less. There's a way to make video look just like the original and at way smaller sizes than the norm we see. I just don't know why they don't use it or exactly what it is.

I unchecked the CC option on DVD-RB Pro and the oversizing stopped. Have you run many jobs using the CC option to see about that? Thanks.

Other than that I really have to admit that DVD-RB Pro using HCEnc is unbelievable. Close to 8gb regular and episodic DVDs look like the original.

Cheers

The mobile version isn't working that great. It won't let me reply with quotes from my phone.
Old 25th March 2019, 15:12   #26  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
It's really great to have alternatives as something always pops up. Is this good to go w/the Pro Version of DVD-RB?
Yes, it works nicely with the Pro version of DVD-RB. Just remember that you need to turn off the "Multiple Encoder Processes" option. And for the FFmpeg version I really recommend the version from the "ffmpeg_IMPORTANT.txt" file.

Basically this "use_ffmpeg" plugin was a byproduct of my FF_VBR plugins for AVStoDVD and DVDStyler. In DVD-RB it should replace the QuEnc encoder which is really too old and deprecated.

I am very familiar with AVStoDVD, I have been involved in its development for some years. You cannot really compare it to DVD-RB, though. DVD-RB can only take a DVD structure as the input, but then it keeps the original menu intact. And the output quality is the best you can get, no comparison to the transcoders like DVDShrink.

AVStoDVD will not preserve the original menues if your source is a DVD. If you need menues you will have to create your own. But it takes (almost) any videos as the source and converts them to a DVD compatible format, and it uses highest quality encoders for this.

Another software for DVD creation you might like is DVDStyler. Basically it does the same things as AVStoDVD, but its scope is more on creating menues instead of transcoding quality. It only uses FFmpeg for transcoding, this really compromised quality until a few years ago. Not any more, the author integrated my FFmpeg_VBR plugin seamlessly into his software, and now you can get very high quality encodes with DVDStyler. If you care about elaborate menues you should definitely give it a try.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 25th March 2019 at 15:20.
Old 26th March 2019, 11:32   #27  |  Link
dr_ml422

manolito how would you compare the quality of AVStoDVD and ConvertXToDVD? Would you say it's comparable, maybe better? Thanks.
Old 26th March 2019, 13:17   #28  |  Link
manolito

Quality is in the eye of the beholder...

ConvertXtoDVD is based on FFmpeg, it can use single pass and 2-pass VBR methods. Single-pass is based on a modified "Constant Quantizer" method, and for higher bitrates the quality is good. But for medium or lower bitrates the 2-pass method creates a much better bitrate distribution between the complex and the simpler parts of the source.

AVStoDVD uses FFmpeg only for very high bitrates by default, in most cases HCenc will be used (always in 2-pass VBR mode for a multicore CPU). Most people will agree that HCenc produces a better quality than FFmpeg, but this really depends on many factors. There is no doubt that FFmpeg can create very high quality results when the appropriate parameters are used.

The reason I started my FFmpeg_VBR plugin project was that forum member Fishman0919 requested this for AVStoDVD. He was adamant that at least for lower bitrates below 3500 kbps FFmpeg produced a better quality output than HCenc. I have no idea if this is always true, but when you use the VBR plugin then FFmeg is no longer restricted to the default "Constant Bitrate" mode, so it can also be used for medium and low bitrates. Users have to decide for themselves which quality they like better. And in AVStoDVD this means that users have a choice between two high quality encoders while ConvertXtoDVD users are tied to FFmpeg.

Cheers
manolito
Old 26th March 2019, 17:12   #29  |  Link
dr_ml422

well I just did a conversion of the first x-men movie from 1080p to DVD and I used HCenc in one pass VBR and the output was remarkable! For some reason it complained about a quantizer setting, though it still went all the way. I guess if you leave it at smart detection that's where ffmpeg will jump in at the higher bitrate? Or will HCenc always do a 2 pass even if one pass VBR was chosen? So in DVD-RB and AVStoDVD we have a choice of one or two VBR with ffmpeg correct? Thanks.
Old 26th March 2019, 18:07   #30  |  Link
manolito

Looks like you mixed up things a little bit...

If you just started with AVStoDVD, please leave the settings at their default values for now. For the encoder selection "Smart Selection" is the default, and the actual selection is based on the video bitrate.

Quote:
By using "Smart Selection" option, AVStoDVD will automatically select one of the other 3 encoding profiles, with the following rationale:
IF the CPU is multi-core:
· "FFmpeg CBR 1-pass" is selected when calculated video bitrate is > 6000 kbps
· "HCenc VBR 2-pass" is selected when calculated video bitrate is < 6000 kbps
IF the CPU is single-core:
· "FFmpeg CBR 1-pass" is selected when calculated video bitrate is > 6500 kbps
· "HCenc VBR 1-pass" is selected when calculated video bitrate is < 6500 kbps and > 4500 kbps
· "HCenc VBR 2-pass" is selected when calculated video bitrate is < 4500 kbps
Of course you can override all these bitrate thresholds (read the help file), but you should know what you are doing. Turning off "Smart Selection" will always override the automatic settings for encoder selection. So if you specify HCenc 1-pass VBR then this will be used no matter what.

Quote:
So in DVD-RB and AVStoDVD we have a choice of one or two VBR with ffmpeg correct? Thanks.
No. In DVD-RB after installing the "use_ffmpeg" plugin this is correct, but not for AVStoDVD. AVStoDVD can only use FFmpeg in CBR mode (without B-frames which makes it very inefficient). If you want to use FFmpeg VBR modes in AVStoDVD you first need to download and install my FFmpeg_VBR plugin. This is not meant for novices, I suggest that you first familiarize yourself with AVStoDVD without any additional plugins.
Old 27th March 2019, 00:08   #31  |  Link
dr_ml422

By using FFmpeg when the bitrate is > 6000kbps are you suggesting FFmpeg is better than HCenc? Or it's just a better encoder at those higher bitrates, or it's just preference for AVStoDVD? I can't notice anything wrong w/HCenc VBR 1-pass. Looks magnificent. On my 3rd encode already. If it makes it inefficient by using FFmpeg in CBR mode then why is it programmed that way? I just read the Read Me file before and I still haven't seen how to get the Progress Status Window going. All I see is a lot of figures and numbers in a window interface. From what I gather around most don't think too highly of FFmpeg. Reason I went straight to HCenc VBR 1 Pass was because of the outstanding results with DVD-RB Pro. It's working w/no errors whatsoever. My source files have been all 1080p. I'll go to see now where that Progress Window Button is. Why the different names for Titleset and DVD Label btw? Usually same for both. Anyway I'm so glad I found this here because things don't look too well over in VSO land as there still isn't no new update with their version of AVStoDVD, specifically the ConvertXToVideo which also puts out to NTSC DVD.

Have you ever figured out or were curious how some optimize their output file so that a completely merged source file will still be basically the same file size though actually play double etc... the length after merging? I couldn't believe it when I used WinXDVD's VideoProc by Digiarty and saw it happen. Only thing w/them they just weren't consistent and support was virtually non-existent. Really blew my mind! I'll post back if I can't get this Preview Window started. Thanks.

For the life of me I can't find the Progress Status Window, unless the User GUI instructions are old . I found everyting else like Jobs Options, Preview Title Window etc... , I just in no way, form or fashion have a colorful window with progress bars etc... Will someone kindly point me to it, or is this window I see with all these stats the one? Sure isn't colorful etc... as in the Note file.

Ok so the Progress Window doesn't open during the encoding. It just reports afterwards. Well you live and you learn. Lol... I used the default on the 4th X-Men 1080p file and a second pass really didn't add anything to what 1 pass did previously. Seems HCenc is just fine with one pass. I do have to report and I think it was noted previously, that it was pretty quick even during 2 pass. I was reaching upwards 70+ fps with AVStoDVD. I saw some older posts and just for the record the latest version is using HCenc 0.28 which I think is the latest. Great app. I will continue to learn. I'm still confused as to why FFmpeg is default at higher Bitrates, though supposedly outstanding at middle to lower Bitrates. It has to be the difference between VBR and CBR. VBR w/the plugin and CBR as is straight out the gate.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 27th March 2019 at 05:41. Reason: Progress Status Window Update.
Old 27th March 2019, 13:28   #32  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ml422 View Post
By using FFmpeg when the bitrate is > 6000kbps are you suggesting FFmpeg is better than HCenc? Or it's just a better encoder at those higher bitrates, or it's just preference for AVStoDVD?
No, I said just the opposite thing. FFmpeg (especially in the way it is used by AVStoDVD) is certainly inferior to HCenc. The reason it is used by default for very high bitrates is that it is faster than HCenc, and at such high bitrates you won't be able to see any quality flaws. You can get out better quality from FFMmpeg if you use different parameters and switch to 2-pass VBR, but this requires using the FFmpeg_VBR plugin.

If you are happy with HCenc (as most users are), by all means use it. In HCenc the 1-pass quality can be almost as good as the 2-pass quality. But every once in a while you might come across a source file where 1-pass is unable to reach the specified output file size. And the main reason why 1-pass is no longer used by default if your CPU has more than one core is that HCenc makes very good use of all the CPU cores so 2-pass can be almost as fast as 1-pass.

FFmpeg is a console application without a GUI, and the console window is all you get. The FFmpeg devs decided to not integrate a progress bar into the console window, probably because it would slow down encoding. There are some third party wrapper scripts for FFmpeg which implement a progress bar, but they are based on Python or other languages. Not so easy for most users. For me (coming from the good old DOS times) the FFmpeg console window looks just fine, it provides a lot of information.

A DVD can have several title sets, so it makes sense to have a different title name for each title set, but only 1 DVD label for the whole disk. And these strings can be edited by the user.
Old 28th March 2019, 01:02   #33  |  Link
dr_ml422

Thank you manolito. Now I understand. Also I know I posted it on the AVStoDVD thread, though I found the culprit with that file and others similar. It seems AVStoDVD won't distinguish Dual audio files straight off the back anyway. I think if all you have is English as primary, and there's another audio file, it will not know this and error out. That Wolverine mp4 file has Dual audio. One English and one Hindu. So since English is primary and there's a dual audio it will get trumped up and error out. Isn't there a way to just make it acknowledge all the audio tracks and then one can choose? This has to be the culprit because I put in another MP4 file and it took it like a baby.

I had to use ConvertXToDVD as it automatically separates whatever audio and after your selection knows what to do. I thought it was the .srt file, though I took it out and still had that error message. If I put another language in the preferences, if allowed, then it will acknowledge it and proceed as usual. Only thing I can think of as it was playable and readable everywhere else.
Old 28th March 2019, 11:23   #34  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ml422 View Post
I think if all you have is English as primary, and there's another audio file, it will not know this and error out. That Wolverine mp4 file has Dual audio. One English and one Hindu. So since English is primary and there's a dual audio it will get trumped up and error out. Isn't there a way to just make it acknowledge all the audio tracks and then one can choose? This has to be the culprit because I put in another MP4 file and it took it like a baby.
Of course AVStoDVD supports multiple audio tracks (up to 3). When you load a source file with more than 1 audio track, you will see the following audio selection window:

In this window you can tick or untick the audio tracks you want, then you close the window by pressing the "x" in the upper right corner (there is no explicit "OK" button).

If I remember correctly your peferred audio language was English for both the primary and secondary audio. Therefore another window will pop up asking you if you want to alter the secondary audio language to Hindu or not.

IMO all this is easy and straightforward...

You should post AVStoDVD related questions in the AVStoDVD thread, this thread is about DVD-Rebuilder after all...

Last edited by manolito; 28th March 2019 at 14:22.
Old 29th March 2019, 18:29   #35  |  Link
dr_ml422

My bad. I then have posted over there.
Old 14th October 2019, 10:37   #36  |  Link
dr_ml422

Any alternative to ImgBurn for making the .iso? It's a pain in the ykw when you get that "It's the end of the world" message for not finding a layer break. I know you can uncheck this in ImgBurn options, though why replace the other app ? Unless you're output is a DVD-5 and best be under size ImgBurn not best option for .iso and Dual Layer. Just a concern. Thanks.
Old 14th October 2019, 16:28   #37  |  Link
manolito

If your output fits on a DVD-5 then ImgBurn should never give you this "End of the world" message, simply because no layer break is necessary.

To make an ISO image from a folder containing a DVD structure the only alternative I am aware of is mkisofs. It is a command line tool with lots of options. There is a GUI for it, get it at VideoHelp:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Folder2Iso

Good luck
manolito
Old 14th October 2019, 23:56   #38  |  Link
dr_ml422

Thanks Manolito.

It's when the output is to DVD-9 that it either comes up with that "End of the world" pop up or as I mentioned you have to be present to aid in the Layer break. Unless I check it off in options in ImgBurn, which I can do. I know most will use DVD-RB for DVD-5 output so not many will encounter this. I'm going to look into that guide for mkisofs. I think I used it once and it was very good. Matter of fact I first discovered it via DVD-RB.

Great tool! They used mkisofs and came up with Folder2Iso. In a snap you have your .iso and no Layer Break to worry about. I'm also in correspondence with LG, ASUS, etc... regarding automatic DVD-ROM bitsetting with their drives. LG at least now has there more recent drives automatically bitsetting without an option for the user. I'm waiting for a Swap from them with New Firmware regarding this matter.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 27th October 2019 at 17:55. Reason: Update.
Old 5th December 2019, 22:24   #39  |  Link
jososo

DVD Rebuilder still the best in 2019...
and CCE still the best too:
CCE
HCenc you can see macroblocks
ConvertXtoDVD bof
DVD2one so smooth very surprise by the backup quality
CloneDVD so bad
MagicDVDCopier horrible

Video frame from Gladiator dvd backup
DVD9 to DVD5 movie only with all tracks and subtitles
2600 kbps approx
All latest encoders version except CCE : Cinema Craft Encoder Basic Ver. 2.70.01
All genuine paid license software

Last edited by jososo; 5th December 2019 at 22:32.
jososo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 07:11   #40  |  Link
dr_ml422

Overshot DVD-5 Output size

For some reason DVD Rebuilder Pro went over to 4.4GB instead of the default DVD-5. Is this a quality control mechanism ensuring a nice viewable output, or just a possible defect in the source rip? Mind you the disc was unplayable in the DVD Player, though opened up in one of my PC players. Thanks.

Twice now with same DVD.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 4th October 2020 at 07:54. Reason: spelling