Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th February 2019, 14:55   #54681  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
On the LG C8 the 20-point white balance adjustment points are different when the TV receives 1000 or 4000 nits metadata.

Just open madTPG and enable HDR. Go into your TVs 20 point white-balance settings and check the second last adjustment point. With 4000 nits metadata it should be 713. The number will change in real time when you switch between 1000 and 4000 nits in madTPG. If it doesn't show 713 when madTPG is set to 4000 it means the TV is getting the bogus metadata.
Thanks - just tested this with 416.81, and got 696 on the second last adjustment

EDIT - and tested 398.11 and it shows 713.

Last edited by iSeries; 12th February 2019 at 15:15.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 15:03   #54682  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
There is no black bar detection with D3D11 native (or DXVA2 native). D3D11 copy-back or DXVA2 copy-back aren't fast enough on your system?.
I own an Rtx 2070 but I never seen D3D11 copy back option in lav decoder... Look at the attached picture....

Why?

On the other side I've tried dxva2 copy back but... With uhd 24fps films I've to lower ngu up scaling to "sharp low quality".
With uhd 60fps demo clip I forcely need to use d3d11 decoding to have no dropped frames.
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 15:13   #54683  |  Link
madjock

Its actually right in front of you if you read the wording at the bottom.

As far as selecting scalers, I think a lot of the newer cards need to be FSE to get the most out of them.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 16:55   #54684  |  Link
el Filou

For people with NVIDIA & HDR who have a way to test what the TV is receiving (with diag dongle or light meter), did you try changing the "SDR brightness" slider in Windows Settings to see if that changed the bogus metadata being sent to the TV?
It may be a bug with Windows making everything go through the SDR-to-HDR convertor.

Edit: another test: try playing some HDR file with Windows' own Movies & TV app to see if the metadata being sent is different from when using madVR. If yes, then MS may have added some HDR API available from UWP apps but not from Win32?

Last edited by el Filou; 12th February 2019 at 17:02.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 17:34   #54685  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
its actually right in front of you if you read the wording at the bottom.

As far as selecting scalers, i think a lot of the newer cards need to be fse to get the most out of them.
why fse ?
Old 12th February 2019, 17:38   #54686  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
No doubt, but what concerns me is if we/they mess to what they think it should look like, then are they actually seeing what it was meant to be. I am sure like me people read UHD reviews on Bluray.com and the amount that say the colours are this, or uptick in detail here, but how many people actually care what there TV is doing. We are actually buying Blurays or UHDs from reviews when its just a normal TV with no fancy third party application making it perfect ? if there is such a thing and looking at that forum, it is going round in circles with every new clever iteration.
madjock, if you don't care, why are you here ? why post at all ? why argue ?
Old 12th February 2019, 17:50   #54687  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
For people with NVIDIA & HDR who have a way to test what the TV is receiving (with diag dongle or light meter), did you try changing the "SDR brightness" slider in Windows Settings to see if that changed the bogus metadata being sent to the TV?
It may be a bug with Windows making everything go through the SDR-to-HDR convertor.

Edit: another test: try playing some HDR file with Windows' own Movies & TV app to see if the metadata being sent is different from when using madVR. If yes, then MS may have added some HDR API available from UWP apps but not from Win32?

I thought madshi said he wasn't developing for os-hdr.
Old 12th February 2019, 17:52   #54688  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
madjock, if you don't care, why are you here ? why post at all ? why argue ?
Where does it say I don't care, this is not just about HDR, why 3 posts at once ?
Old 12th February 2019, 17:53   #54689  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
why fse ?
Because 2070s drivers are quite new and it seems to have helped some.
Old 12th February 2019, 19:04   #54690  |  Link
SamuriHL

madshi's response in that nVidia thread is troubling. If there's no "windows api for hdr" that he can call to enable/disable hdr and nVidia removes their deprecated api that's going to leave us in quite a bind when it comes to new drivers. Awesome....sigh
Old 12th February 2019, 19:58   #54691  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
madshi's response in that nVidia thread is troubling. If there's no "windows api for hdr" that he can call to enable/disable hdr and nVidia removes their deprecated api that's going to leave us in quite a bind when it comes to new drivers. Awesome....sigh
Doesn't he also say nvapi is not going away ?
Old 12th February 2019, 20:10   #54692  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Doesn't he also say nvapi is not going away ?
It may or may not be going away but it's definitely not working as we'd want it, really just looks like it merely hands HDR control over to Windows.

The good news is, 398.11 seems to work perfect. Custom res works great too. I haven't tested anything after this, but apparently this is the last driver that doesn't have this bogus metadata issue.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2019, 20:15   #54693  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Even if the MS HDR API doesn't have a "toggle" function (I didn't check), informing windows about the wanted HDR metadata might still be quite reasonable.
Old 12th February 2019, 21:24   #54694  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Even if the MS HDR API doesn't have a "toggle" function (I didn't check), informing windows about the wanted HDR metadata might still be quite reasonable.
That's a good point. Windows might internally decide "uh, hey, that looks like HDR maybe I should turn that on". Then again, it might just ignore it until the user enables it in the CP. One never knows with windows. The one thing we DO know about windows is that it's not likely to be consistent between versions.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:22   #54695  |  Link
RXP

Thanks j82k for doing the measurements. Feel much happier and more confident that I downgraded.

I used to be a pure dedicated media guy since 2008/09. Prior to the Popcorn Hour I was so frustrated in using a HTPC for media playback. But MadVR's tempted me back into the HTPC game again. And this reminds me why I went to a dedicated player - it's a minefield of compatibility issues. I downgraded to the correct drivers for HDR passthrough but that broke CUDA playback as I was getting macro blocking. Eventually figured out I had to switch to DXVA Copy back but in the middle of a movie which I was looking forward to and never ended up finishing. Instead I shouted at the computer haha. On the positives I fixed the HDR tone mapping on the OLED, got Rec2020 output in SDR for my RS49 though.

I'm planning on creating a "production/live" system which I will use as a dedicated HTPC. I won't apply any software/driver updates to avoid this situation happening again. But I'm sure Win 10 will get very upset and try and install updates behind my back.
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 10:10   #54696  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP View Post
I'm planning on creating a "production/live" system which I will use as a dedicated HTPC. I won't apply any software/driver updates to avoid this situation happening again. But I'm sure Win 10 will get very upset and try and install updates behind my back.
I know what you mean. I think the part I struggle with, is that things can just change with nothing having been altered to change it. I had my Qs rock steady during testing of files by reducing them for 4K content. Watched a file last night and I had over 28 Presentation issues and it sort of ruined the film as I could see the flashes.

This latest HDR metadata issue has also freaked me out as it was not really mentioned when everyone talks about the latest driver still allows passthrough etc, but it has obviously raised its head again and has been broken for months, you then find out your life has been a lie for all this time.
Old 13th February 2019, 12:48   #54697  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
it has obviously raised its head again and has been broken for months, you then find out your life has been a lie for all this time.
This is exactly how I feel.

Recalibration also takes forever..

Wish there was a faster probe than i1displaypro that I can afford.
Old 13th February 2019, 12:55   #54698  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP View Post
You can block them from Win10 Pro and upwards.
Old 13th February 2019, 14:12   #54699  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I thought I would give 8.1 a go the other day, as it is recommended by madshi and others as a more stable OS. By god did I have problems, a lot were due to having a dummy 2nd display due to using the DP port for audio to my AVR.

Simple things like Text looking terrible and general DPI issues made me rethink in no time and back to Windows 10, for all of W10 faults sometimes when you do go and revisit an OS, you remember that it was not as good as you remember especially with advances in 4K displays and the like.
Old 13th February 2019, 15:56   #54700  |  Link
RXP

Quote:

This latest HDR metadata issue has also freaked me out as it was not really mentioned when everyone talks about the latest driver still allows passthrough etc, but it has obviously raised its head again and has been broken for months, you then find out your life has been a lie for all this time.
I think it shows that we don't really notice the minutia of detail. When you're engrossed in a film it won't matter if the highlights aren't recovered etc. I find it's almost like a Placebo kick for me. To know it's the best possible solution.

On a projector though it's a huge difference ofc.

I successfully watched a movie just now, looked amazing and very happy MadVR works. Now do I try and tweak the dropping frames every 4.73mins or do I just leave alone before I break something else
RXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling