Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 24th September 2009, 17:02   #5341  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrey View Post
I have a strange playback issue with le dobermann bluray. i have to skip the playback several times (intro, and other titles.)..until Title 3 starts to play, and that is the movie itself.
and the second issue is, thats extremly undersized 16gb @20000kbs max bitrate.
See the post a few back.

If it is as 20000Kbs -- any additional bitrate would almost assuredly be wasted anyway. The quality is important, not the size -- and the two don't always correlate. A good test would be to look in the stats files -- and I think you'll find QP values in the "under 16" range. That is an indicator of a virtually perfect backup.

I'm not aiming at you personally, but I have serious issues with reports that are looking at output size or say "it didn't fill the disc!"... in most cases it is meaningless. I'll be happy to add a zero filled file to the output to make it 24GB -- as in most cases that will do about the same to improve the quality as adding bitrate above 20000 Kbs.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th September 2009 at 21:40.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 18:26   #5342  |  Link
Capsbackup

Just finished testing a full movie backup to BD-25 of The Shining with BD-RBV02905, with the option to convert SD to HD (720p), burned to BD-RE for playback on my BX-1.
I have to say that the quality of the 480i extras upconverted to 720p are absolutely perfect compared to the original disc. I was skeptical that upconverting could improve the original, and probably has not, but there is definately no loss from the original and visually it is equivalent! For a pretty old movie, I am impressed.
Another great option jdobbs, and your program has developed quite nicely. A big
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 19:46   #5343  |  Link
TRONDROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I would get rid of the "SUBS_TO_KEEP=eng;" and "SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=1". Sometimes the PGS's are used for other functions. In most cases it's best (especailly in BD-25) to keep all subtitles.
All right, will do J....thanks for your help and your amazing program....:smile:
TRONDROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 20:03   #5344  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs

Hi!

It appears that the newer methodology for creating HDDVD-compliant files ("HDDVD_COMPLIANT=1" in .INI) produces less compliant (Read as, "no longer works completely when used with "multiAVCHD") files than did the earlier concept of directly adding to the .INI two "custom" lines plus, if I remember correctly, a specific line for "ENCODE_QUALITY=" (was it "6"?) and, possibly, "FORCE_ENCODE=1".

I confirmed that "multiAVCHD" is not the cause of this, by using an earlier version of BD-RB that utilized the "custom" lines, etc. to compress the same BluRay to "movie-only" again - and "multiAVCHD" properly and successfully processed and converted it to HDDVD (Burned DVD5 plays perfectly on my Toshiba HDDVD standalone).

I also tried replacing "HDDVD_COMPLIANT=1" with the "custom" lines, etc. with both v.29.04 nd v.29.05. Both efforts resulted in the same previously described failure.

Your thoughts please?

Last edited by setarip_old; 24th September 2009 at 20:07.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 20:39   #5345  |  Link
Sharc

@jdobbs
v0.29.05. Movie Gladiator. Resize to 720p. Full backup.
Main feature is split into many .m2ts. Some of these are still not resized to 720p but stick to the original 1080p.
In one case, instead of starting a crf prediction the log just indicates "Reencoding: ....Pass 1 of 1". In the second case the crf prediction runs normally but the encode remains at 1080.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by Sharc; 24th September 2009 at 21:10.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 21:43   #5346  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@jdobbs

Hi!

It appears that the newer methodology for creating HDDVD-compliant files ("HDDVD_COMPLIANT=1" in .INI) produces less compliant (Read as, "no longer works completely when used with "multiAVCHD") files than did the earlier concept of directly adding to the .INI two "custom" lines plus, if I remember correctly, a specific line for "ENCODE_QUALITY=" (was it "6"?) and, possibly, "FORCE_ENCODE=1".

I confirmed that "multiAVCHD" is not the cause of this, by using an earlier version of BD-RB that utilized the "custom" lines, etc. to compress the same BluRay to "movie-only" again - and "multiAVCHD" properly and successfully processed and converted it to HDDVD (Burned DVD5 plays perfectly on my Toshiba HDDVD standalone).

I also tried replacing "HDDVD_COMPLIANT=1" with the "custom" lines, etc. with both v.29.04 nd v.29.05. Both efforts resulted in the same previously described failure.

Your thoughts please?
Nothing has changed at all except the adding of "--slices 4" to all command lines. Could that be it?

Other than that, it uses the settings I was asked to use... you'll have to ask someone else what is correct -- as I don't have HD-DVD. It's a standard that is as dead as a doornail. If you can tell me what you want the settings to be I can set them. That's about the extent of my involvement (and as far as I plan to ever get involved).

By the way, the custom feature hasn't changed either.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th September 2009 at 21:48.
Old 24th September 2009, 21:49   #5347  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
@jdobbs
Main feature is split into many .m2ts. Some of these are still not resized to 720p but stick to the original 1080p.
In one case, instead of starting a crf prediction the log just indicates "Reencoding: ....Pass 1 of 1". In the second case the crf prediction runs normally but the encode remains at 1080.
Any thoughts?
The "1 of 1" is normal. Extremely small segments can sometimes fail if you try to do two passes so it does a standard setting CRF pass.

I'll take a look at the 1080p thing...

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th September 2009 at 21:51.
Old 24th September 2009, 21:53   #5348  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
The "1 of 1" is normal. Extremely small segments can sometimes fail if you try to do two passes... I'll take a look at the 1080p thing...
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I went for One-Pass (crf) Encoding.
The segment was not even really small: 202 MB in the original / reencoded to 63 MB. So it has been reencoded, but not resized to 720p.

Last edited by Sharc; 24th September 2009 at 21:56.
Old 24th September 2009, 21:59   #5349  |  Link
DK

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
There's been reports of the samsung auxdata issue fixed in the july batch of firmwares for all but the BD-P1000. Are you guys using July or newer firmwares?

Also seems BD-Px600 series play mkv/mp4 with a firmware update.
I'm using latest 2.02 FW for EU on my 1600.
Havent tested "Auxdata" present (if that's what you were driving at?) but -ROM booktyped media still does NOT work here.

And yes, MKV plays fine, i havent tested MP4 before because i only knew about MKV support along with YouTube and NTFS for external drives, which i really appreciate.
DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 22:55   #5350  |  Link
jefrey

Yes the size at that bitratevalue doesnt matter, i was just surprised about the size
jefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 23:59   #5351  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I went for One-Pass (crf) Encoding.
The segment was not even really small: 202 MB in the original / reencoded to 63 MB. So it has been reencoded, but not resized to 720p.
There's other critera involved as well. It's normal -- and needs to be there. Were the other segment(s) that were encoded at 1080p in the same boat?

Last edited by jdobbs; 25th September 2009 at 00:01.
Old 25th September 2009, 00:45   #5352  |  Link
setarip_old

@jdobbs

Regarding HD-DVD:
Quote:
Nothing has changed at all except the adding of "--slices 4" to all command lines. Could that be it?
I'm afraid I have no way of knowing, so I'll ask the "other party"

Quote:
Other than that, it uses the settings I was asked to use...By the way, the custom feature hasn't changed either.
Did that include/require "a specific line for "ENCODE_QUALITY=6 and, possibly, "FORCE_ENCODE=1"?

Quote:
If you can tell me what you want the settings to be I can set them.
If the other party is willing to determine and provide the necessary settings, I'd greatly appreciate that ;>}
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 05:47   #5353  |  Link
Brian5970

anybody having trouble re-encoding with windows 7 64? I had this working good w/ vista ultimate 64. Then I upgraded to 7 64 ultimate and the bd-rebuilder extracts the video fine, but when it goes to re-encode it hangs-up, retries 3 times and closes. I've been going over my ffdshow setting and matroska, AVIsynth and I think they're all set right. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
Brian5970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 06:50   #5354  |  Link
whytellyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5970 View Post
anybody having trouble re-encoding with windows 7 64? I had this working good w/ vista ultimate 64. Then I upgraded to 7 64 ultimate and the bd-rebuilder extracts the video fine, but when it goes to re-encode it hangs-up, retries 3 times and closes. I've been going over my ffdshow setting and matroska, AVIsynth and I think they're all set right. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
From the first page.....
BD Rebuilder has NOT BEEN MODIFIED/TESTED FOR USE ON WINDOWS 7. If you run into issues with Windows 7, please don't post bug reports. It will be updated, but not until the final version of Windows 7 is released in October 2009.
whytellyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 12:28   #5355  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
[Color=Blue]@jdobbs

Regarding HD-DVD:
I'm afraid I have no way of knowing, so I'll ask the "other party"
@setarip: I emailed you but your email account seems to be suspended.

Quote:
Level 4.0 = slices 0
Level 4.1 = slices 4

I guess using slices is not compatible with HD-DVD / hdddvdmux.

A suggestion would be to use NO slices if HDDVD-compliant option is used in BDRB's ini.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:54   #5356  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5970 View Post
Go back through the thread. Win7 needs some registry tweaking to work... unfortunately this kind of thing is the price you pay when you decide to upgrade to a new version of a Microsoft product before it is actually released.
Old 25th September 2009, 13:19   #5357  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
@jdobbs
Any thoughts?
I just tried Gladiator and it seems to work correctly. I also went back through the code and can't find anything that could make it stay 1080p -- did you do any kind of external processing?

Can you tell me which M2TSs were showing oddness?
Old 25th September 2009, 19:01   #5358  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I just tried Gladiator and it seems to work correctly. I also went back through the code and can't find anything that could make it stay 1080p -- did you do any kind of external processing?

Can you tell me which M2TSs were showing oddness?
No, I didn't do any preprocessing.
Files showing the oddness (re-encoded but not resized):
00002.m2ts (Studio intro)
00125.m2ts (Segment of the main feature). In addition, all audio (DTS) and sups were kept and muxed intact for this segment, instead of being selected and re-encoded to ac3 for audio. It is noted that the 00125.m2ts belongs to the playlist for the "extended version". It is not used for the "theatre version".

Last edited by Sharc; 26th September 2009 at 10:41.
Old 25th September 2009, 19:23   #5359  |  Link
drjake

Further Saga of Coraline

I have pinned down where my problems with the movie only backup of Coraline stem from. I actually used TSMuxer and TSMuxer GUI to create BD-25 files out of the m2ts file created by BD Rebuilder and created a working backup. Thus, it appears that something is going wrong in the rebuild phase. Note that I successfully did movie-only backups in the past with earlier versions of BD-Rebuilder but can't pinpoint when it would have stopped working for me. I do know that the various .28 and .29 versions are not working in making movie-only backups for me. Note that the TSMUXER created files include the following folders that were not created with BD-Rebuilder for Coraline: Auxdata, BDJO, JAR and Meta.

I do not know if this is a bug or if somehow I have jumbled my installation of the support programs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjake View Post
I tried again with Coraline forcing a reencode to see if it had something to do with the VC-1. It still will not play in any standalone nor in Windvd. As soon as you press play it immediately stops and shows "Stop" on the screen. This is the only BD that has not worked for me. Here are my log file and ini files:

-----------------------
[10:53:51] BD Rebuilder v0.29.04 (beta)
- Source: CORALINE
- Input BD size: 19.28 GB
- Approximate total content: [01:40:36.238]
- Target BD size: 22.46 GB
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
[10:53:51] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [10:53:51] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00010]
- [11:28:56] Reencoding: VID_00010 (1 of 1)
[11:37:46]PHASE ONE complete
[11:37:46]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [11:37:46] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[11:58:21] - Encode and Rebuild complete
- WORKFILES folder removed.
[11:58:21]JOB: CORALINE finished.

[Options]
RESIZE=0
MODE=1
TARGET_SIZE=23000
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=eng;
SUBS_TO_KEEP=
TRELLIS=1
COLOR_BOOST=0
RESIZE_1080=0
DTS_REENCODE=0
AC3_REENCODE=0
AC3_640=1
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=1
AVCHD=1
REMOVE_WORKFILES=1
AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=1
SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=0
CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=23450
FORCE_ENCODE=1
[Paths]
SOURCE_PATH=C:\CORALINE\CORALINE\
WORKING_PATH=C:\TEMP\

Anybody have any ideas what is going on here.
drjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 21:08   #5360  |  Link
Capsbackup

@drjake;
The latest version is BD Rebuilder v0.29.05 (beta).
Looking at your posted log, there is not a reencoding taking place, since the original is less than BD-25 size. If you want to reencode this movie, try setting the size to BD-9 or BD-5. Movie only will look great for BD-5, but your choice if you want BD-9.
All BD-RB is doing with your current settings is demuxing/remuxing and rebuilding, all still with the original codec. (VC-1?)
Depending on if you have selected Strict Compliance for movie only AVCHD, Auxdata, BDJO, JAR and Meta will either be present or not.
Or:
With tsMuxeR GUI, either select AVCHD or BluRay. The files will be there or not accordingly.

Last edited by Capsbackup; 25th September 2009 at 21:22.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote