Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th December 2020, 21:49   #18781  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

Quote:
No idea why you complain here...
forgive me, i wasn't complaining...i was reporting information, and asking for feedback..

everything you said before that i thank you, but the last comment i felt a bit harsh...just wanted some feedback which you gave (plus an extra dig i felt)

for me i thought i wrote my post openly and asking for feedback from you experts...starting to feel i wish i didn't now

(now i know that i should look towards FP32 speed on a GPU)
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2020, 23:42   #18782  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Catalyst View Post
forgive me, i wasn't complaining...i was reporting information, and asking for feedback..

everything you said before that i thank you, but the last comment i felt a bit harsh...just wanted some feedback which you gave (plus an extra dig i felt)

for me i thought i wrote my post openly and asking for feedback from you experts...starting to feel i wish i didn't now

(now i know that i should look towards FP32 speed on a GPU)
Forget about knlmeanscl. MDegrain2 will give you much better quality than knlmeanscl and should also be faster on your 12 core CPU.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2020, 08:55   #18783  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

thank you for the suggestion...i will do some tests, i thought i was using the best one....so difficult knowing which one to choose..there's so many denoisers around now LOL

question, is there any benefits in the updated QTGMC Script, i have a project coming up soon (many UK old dvd tv series which requires de-interlacing 25>50fps (bobbing)) and wanted to see if there would be any benefit on using the latest QTGMC Script for that task? (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/re...0up/QTGMC.avsi

thankyou for continuing to support this program.
Old 18th December 2020, 11:47   #18784  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Forget about knlmeanscl. MDegrain2 will give you much better quality than knlmeanscl and should also be faster on your 12 core CPU.
I know it's always good to give user's LOT's of choices, but with your statement, maybe you need to "retire" knlmeanscl, and add several different MDegrain filters, so "we" don't have to configure our own custom filters.
Old 18th December 2020, 17:01   #18785  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Hey Ryushin,

Now this may not have anything to do with your problem, but why the hell have you got so many Job's queued up !!!, that's just ridiculous.
It's pretty easy actually. Buy some big TV show collections such as Mission Impossible, X-Files, Game of Thrones in 4K, etc. Use MakeMKV to extract out the episodes then label the episodes, then RipBot batches them in. 4K movies and shows slow things down real quick. With the two machines I'm using, I can process a 1080p close to real time speed using x265 and MDegrain2.

I'm waiting on the Epyc Milan 24 core to upgraded my tired E5-2650 v2 server. The desktop in the house with a Ryzen7 1800X does 2/3s of the encoding work.

I had to decommission three servers that could not process x265 very well that were consuming more electricity than what they could provide in output.

Atak, problem has mitigated some after the reboot. When it starts happening again on a regular basis, I'll figure out how to record the screen and get you the video.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2020, 23:52   #18786  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Are You sure that your antivirus is not trolling you? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason of that weird behavior.
Old 19th December 2020, 01:34   #18787  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
It's pretty easy actually. Buy some big TV show collections such as Mission Impossible, X-Files, Game of Thrones in 4K, etc. Use MakeMKV to extract out the episodes then label the episodes, then RipBot batches them in. 4K movies and shows slow things down real quick. With the two machines I'm using, I can process a 1080p close to real time speed using x265 and MDegrain2.

I'm waiting on the Epyc Milan 24 core to upgraded my tired E5-2650 v2 server. The desktop in the house with a Ryzen7 1800X does 2/3s of the encoding work.

I had to decommission three servers that could not process x265 very well that were consuming more electricity than what they could provide in output.

Atak, problem has mitigated some after the reboot. When it starts happening again on a regular basis, I'll figure out how to record the screen and get you the video.
So no Solar Panels ???

OK, so you have some other pc's, do you have the same issues, on any of them ??

The Epyc, sound's epic (sorry), THAT should process real fast.

The best I've got is a Ryzen 9 3950X, and that does a pretty good job, and I have several servers that can help, but I haven't done any significant encoding for months, and no 4K stuff...I do have a lot to do, but if the sun's not out, and the solar panels aren't generating enough, nothing gets done

Gone are my days of super high power bills, just because of computers !!!
Old 19th December 2020, 12:52   #18788  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

Thanks for the advice, MDegrain2 is producing much better results you were right...smashing my 12 core cpu however LOL but definitely worth it for the results i'm seeing.

luckily AMD CPU's are much more power efficient compared to my last Intel CPU i had...otherwise this would be getting very expensive in short time.
Old 19th December 2020, 13:29   #18789  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, MDegrain2 is producing much better results you were right...smashing my 12 core cpu however LOL but definitely worth it for the results i'm seeing.

luckily AMD CPU's are much more power efficient compared to my last Intel CPU i had...otherwise this would be getting very expensive in short time.
How many FPS do you get now in avsmeter?
Old 21st December 2020, 01:23   #18790  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

Quote:
AVSMeter 3.0.6.0 (x64), (c) Groucho2004, 2012-2020
AviSynth+ 3.4 (r2925, master, x86_64) (3.4.0.0)

Number of frames: 218436
Length (hh:mm:ss.ms): 02:31:50.602
Frame width: 1920
Frame height: 1080
Framerate: 23.976 (24000/1001)
Colorspace: YV12

Frame (current | last): 3526 | 218435
FPS (cur | min | max | avg): 22.07 | 0.163 | 235.5 | 25.59
Process memory usage: 3725 MiB
Thread count: 77
CPU usage (current | average): 63.6% | 65.1%

Time (elapsed | estimated): 00:02:17.481 | 02:22:16.327
as you can see the results are much better.

i'm on air cooler though, in time i will move onto upgrading the air cooler to a £100 type, but for now....i'm really happy with my 3900x, incredible how far CPU technology has come.
Old 21st December 2020, 13:32   #18791  |  Link
Ryushin

Custom Scripts Update

Hi Atak,

Are custom scripts just read in at job creation or can I change a custom script at any time and it will affect all jobs using that custom script?
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2020, 15:55   #18792  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

So i have done many tests now, on my system using batch, around 1 in every 6 gets stuck on "gathering information", these are blurays remuxed using makemkv.

aborting doesn't work, as it's stuck, i have to close and reload

it's not repeatable and does it randomly and on different sources.
Old 21st December 2020, 16:23   #18793  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Hi Atak,

Are custom scripts just read in at job creation or can I change a custom script at any time and it will affect all jobs using that custom script?
Your custom script is added to jobx.avs script when you create job.
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:42   #18794  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

I noticed that a few tools don't seem the latest (avisynth and avsresize) to name a couple, is this intentional? would it be bad to update these manually?
Old 23rd December 2020, 02:23   #18795  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
I noticed that a few tools don't seem the latest (avisynth and avsresize) to name a couple, is this intentional? would it be bad to update these manually?
You should be able to update these manually..I was actually going to mention to you that your screenshot showed the avisynth version, and that's old (as you mentioned)

So here's a link to avisynth :-

https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlus/releases

I'd go for the 27.2Mb "AviSynthPlus_3.6.1_20200619_vcredist.exe"

And avsresize :-

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Avsresize

download the .7z file, unpack, then find the avsresize .dll, (which is in the Release folder) and overwrite the one in Ripbot's Tool's folder...or better yet, save the original .dll, just in case.
Old 24th December 2020, 12:31   #18796  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

i updated both, however unfortunately i still have random and not repeatable issues with getting stuck on "gathering information".

really annoying and it breaks the batch usage as i come back only to see it completely stuck.

shame ripbot can't detect such things and force stop the job and move onto the next one?
this way the entire batch tasks won't stop indefinitely

one thing i noticed though, it never gets stuck on DVD remuxes, only bluray ones.

i ripped murder she wrote series, it processed 44 episodes and never got stuck once.

(could be something in that regarding causality?)

one last thing is i'm using a headless system, i remote into my main workstation, could this effect the reliability of ripbot?

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 24th December 2020 at 12:56.
Old 24th December 2020, 16:14   #18797  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Run process hacker and check what ffprobe.exe is doing when you see "gathering information" message.

Quote:
shame ripbot can't detect such things and force stop the job and move onto the next one?
You should first establish why this happens only on your PC and why other users like Ryushin (probably the most hardcore user of ripbot who encoded countless of files has not reported the same issues yet.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 24th December 2020 at 16:17.
Old 25th December 2020, 14:04   #18798  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

Point well taken, and rightly said.

i will check when i can, i'm gonna leave for a few days to see in the new version of avisynth has made any difference at all...first impressions can sometimes be wrong.

i will report back when i have clearer stats to report.

thanks.

Merry Christmas.
Old 26th December 2020, 23:48   #18799  |  Link
stryker412

I got my son the Avatar/Korra BD collection for Christmas. I'm working on adding them to our media server. Something isn't set correctly and I'm wondering where I went wrong. I wanted these in HEVC so I set it to one pass at 2Mbps bitrate. I'm seeing lots of interlacing on the finished product (not there in the original). Here are my settings, what should I change?

stryker412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 12:09   #18800  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Cut out 100MB sample (no sound) and send IT to Mediafire.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360