Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th September 2020, 19:05   #7681  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Scott View Post
Thank you for the continued work on MPC-BE.
* Options Dialog:
I get the ugly horizontal scroll bar, it looks like "online media services" & "frame synchronization" cause the scroll bar to appear. I'm using an 11pt font on my OS, 10pt makes it go away but 10 is too small for my eyes... wonderin' if it's possible to make the dialog a bit wider, keeping the size fixed is fine just wider so maybe even a 12pt font works.
Use Windows scaling (DPI) rather than just increasing the font size. This should work correctly.
Quote:
* Options-Miscellaneous-Settings management-Export:
Is it possible to get MPC-BE to save the ini as "mpc-be64-settings.ini" on 64-bit systems, to match the exe name - mpc-be64.exe?
Now like this.
x86 - mpc-be.exe, mpc-be.ini
x64 - mpc-be64.exe, mpc-be64.ini
And this will not be changed.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2020, 21:31   #7682  |  Link
M.Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
Now like this.
x86 - mpc-be.exe, mpc-be.ini
x64 - mpc-be64.exe, mpc-be64.ini
And this will not be changed.
Thanks for the response.

IIRC, on a 64-bit OS, when exporting MPC-BE's settings, the default name is mpc-be-settings.ini... 64-bit users must edit the ini for it to work properly - mpc-be64.ini. I know some applications will append the saved settings and add the date or something... but the saved file will contain all the required info for the file to work.

But, OK, I guess it's up to the end user to learn this on our own, that we need to correctly name the ini because the app wont, for it to work correctly.
M.Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2020, 12:15   #7683  |  Link
v0lt

@M.Scott
OK. 64-bit player will export settings to "mpc-be64-settings.ini" file starting from r5513.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2020, 10:14   #7684  |  Link
Mercury_22

@ Volt & Aleks

Can you please add a warning popup / message that the system will shutdown and an option to cancel the "After Playback Shutdown" command ? Something like a 5-10 seconds timer that allows the user to cancel the system shutdown ?

Cause sometimes people start doing things on the computer or some program starts (for example defragmenting a disk or to scan for viruses or...) while watching a video, and if the Shutdown command is activated and the video finishes abruptly (due to a glitch or missing credits at the end, for example) or they even forget that the shutdown has been activated and the system shuts down, things / files might get lost or corrupted and that's very bad
Old 21st September 2020, 19:18   #7685  |  Link
chros

I'm not sure I like the idea, at least not without a switch that is off by default. Imagine you watch something in fullscreen an a popup appears at the end all the time.
I use this functionality (well, sleep) every day and literally this issue happens to me 1-2 times a year.
I think we should think about what the best approach here if devs are willing to implement it.

For example: what about a timer OSD at the end (e.g. 1 minute before it) and a keyboard shortcut to cancel it (which triggers "Do nothing" After playback) ?

Last edited by chros; 21st September 2020 at 19:24.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2020, 19:54   #7686  |  Link
darkred3

Is there a way to make MPC-BE display certain misc unicode characters correctly? Symbols like ♬ aren't being displayed and instead replaced by a box, unless you modify the subtitle file itself and choose a supporting font like "Lucida Sans Unicode".
Happened both with ISR and xysubfilter. VLC and mpv can display it correctly, perhaps because they're using libass or maybe font fallback just doesn't work.
darkred3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 02:15   #7687  |  Link
Ilovetv9

Mpc-be rookie here, need some help. I'm trying to watch some .mpg files that are "Top Field First" "interlaced video" according to mediainfo. When watching those same files in vlc and turning on deinterlace, vlc properly deinterlaces the video and it plays very smooth like it should. But when using mpc-be+madvr+lav filters it does not deinterlace properly. I have my settings set up like this - mpc-be video decoder configuration scan type = progressive. In lav filters settings - deinterlacing mode = disabled (progressive). In madvr settings - I turn on deinterlace film mode or video mode, neither does any deinterlacing. And if I try to use mpc-be deinterlacer or lav filters deinterlacer, both fail at deinterlacing the video, just like madvr is. What am I doing wrong? VLC does it properly, but I prefer to use mpc-be+madvr+lav filters because it plays all videos in better quality. How can I deinterlace these .mpg video files properly with mpc-be+madvr+lav filters? Please and thanks for any help.
Ilovetv9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 03:16   #7688  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkred3 View Post
Is there a way to make MPC-BE display certain misc unicode characters correctly? Symbols like ♬ aren't being displayed and instead replaced by a box, unless you modify the subtitle file itself and choose a supporting font like "Lucida Sans Unicode".
Happened both with ISR and xysubfilter. VLC and mpv can display it correctly, perhaps because they're using libass or maybe font fallback just doesn't work.
Upload sample subtitles. I think it's a font issue. If it's a srt subs - you can change default font in properties, if it's ass subs - change font in sub's file.
Old 22nd September 2020, 03:17   #7689  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetv9 View Post
Mpc-be rookie here, need some help. I'm trying to watch some .mpg files that are "Top Field First" "interlaced video" according to mediainfo. When watching those same files in vlc and turning on deinterlace, vlc properly deinterlaces the video and it plays very smooth like it should. But when using mpc-be+madvr+lav filters it does not deinterlace properly. I have my settings set up like this - mpc-be video decoder configuration scan type = progressive. In lav filters settings - deinterlacing mode = disabled (progressive). In madvr settings - I turn on deinterlace film mode or video mode, neither does any deinterlacing. And if I try to use mpc-be deinterlacer or lav filters deinterlacer, both fail at deinterlacing the video, just like madvr is. What am I doing wrong? VLC does it properly, but I prefer to use mpc-be+madvr+lav filters because it plays all videos in better quality. How can I deinterlace these .mpg video files properly with mpc-be+madvr+lav filters? Please and thanks for any help.
1 - test with internal filters + internal EVR-CP. By default it must working, EVR-CP do deinterlace.
2 - show LAV Video Decoder setting's page when playback.
Old 22nd September 2020, 03:18   #7690  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I'm not sure I like the idea, at least not without a switch that is off by default. Imagine you watch something in fullscreen an a popup appears at the end all the time.
I use this functionality (well, sleep) every day and literally this issue happens to me 1-2 times a year.
I think we should think about what the best approach here if devs are willing to implement it.

For example: what about a timer OSD at the end (e.g. 1 minute before it) and a keyboard shortcut to cancel it (which triggers "Do nothing" After playback) ?
There is no plane to do it. If you don't need shutdown - disable and all
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:16   #7691  |  Link
darkred3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
if it's ass subs - change font in sub's file.
Yeah I did that already but that's just a dirty trick instead of a proper solution. With mpv and vlc things work out of the box without having to edit the subtitle file.
Here's a dl: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z9r8u7yx7oxmx3m/
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:32   #7692  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkred3 View Post
Yeah I did that already but that's just a dirty trick instead of a proper solution. With mpv and vlc things work out of the box without having to edit the subtitle file.
Here's a dl: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z9r8u7yx7oxmx3m/
If sub's creater writed font that unsupport such symbol - what are the claims to the player?
About mpv/vlc - maybe he do some analyse(it's a "hack"), i don't know.
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:13   #7693  |  Link
huhn

can you try this subtitle filter ?
edit: https://github.com/jesec/xy-VSFilter/releases
i replaced the build with a renderer that should works in mpc-be i forgot over the years the other filter needs some work to get it working in mpc-be and it hasn't been updated in years.
/edit
vsfilter is pretty much ignored these days but libass is used instead an ISR with libass is already in the work:
https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/tree/libass

Last edited by huhn; 22nd September 2020 at 14:33.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:52   #7694  |  Link
darkred3

Thanks for the links @huhn. Yeah it indeed seems to be a problem due to using the rather outdated VSFilter. Taking a look at the libass github page it seems like the company that created this subtitle file (Crunchyroll) is also using libass, so that's the reason why libass-based players work and others don't.
I downloaded the XySubFilter_git-c786186_x64.zip release posted by huhn but that didn't quite seem to work so I downloaded the XySubFilter_git-8c23283_x64.zip file from here and replaced the dll files and voila IT WORKS!
Tho this is a rather makeshift fix and I dearly hope there'll be an ISR with libass support in the future.

Other links:
https://github.com/libass/libass/issues/332
https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/iss...ment-646880407
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:45   #7695  |  Link
clsid

Using libass isn't a perfect solution, because there are also files that fail horribly with libass.

A fallback font is not possible with GDI that is used by ISR/VSFilter. But certain fonts do support "font linking" which does a similar thing.

One possible improvement could perhaps be to automatically override certain fonts (like Arial) in "basic" ASS subtitles (those with a single style) with a better font such as Calibri that has more Unicode chars.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 21:25   #7696  |  Link
darkred3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Using libass isn't a perfect solution, because there are also files that fail horribly with libass.
You're right, trying to play a file with pgs subtitles results in the renderer immediately crashing unless I tick "Use VSFilter (legacy) ASS implementation". Which brings me to the question: Isn't it possible to have libass only handle ASS files while leaving other subs to VSFilter automatically? mpv must be working similarly since it's got no problems with pgs subs.
Edit: I see you've already got such a thing slated for the next release in HC. Looking forward to that.

Last edited by darkred3; 22nd September 2020 at 21:37.
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:03   #7697  |  Link
huhn

that's not the point is all about ASS.
older ASS files where made for vsfilter and libass was pretty much ignored so libass fails in some files because the spec is not really documented the "spec" was what vsfilter was outputting.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:07   #7698  |  Link
Ilovetv9

edit mistake

Last edited by Ilovetv9; 22nd September 2020 at 23:10.
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:09   #7699  |  Link
Ilovetv9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
1 - test with internal filters + internal EVR-CP. By default it must working, EVR-CP do deinterlace.
2 - show LAV Video Decoder setting's page when playback.
Hey. Thanks for the help. You say "test with internal filters". Yes, that works like it should, no problems there when I use internal filters. But I'm trying to interlace the video with madvr+lav filters enabled to keep the video the best possible quality. Why do I have to switch to internal filters anytime I need to deinterlace? How can I keep using madvr+lav filters enabled and deinterlace the video to keep the best quality?
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:22   #7700  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

If some trouble using madvr+lav filters - why you write here, it's not a MPC-BE trouble