Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 5th January 2010, 18:38   #1  |  Link
hopsta

How to save DVD's at the highest quality on a PC? And make it compatible with PS3?

SHORT VERSION:

-How to save DVD movies / TV series, in the highest possible video and audio format
-Is this format compatible with PS3 media sharing?
-If no, is there a way around this?
-If no, what format would be best for the PS3?

DETAILED VERSION:

I have quite a few DVD's (movies and TV Series) and would like to back them up onto my PC.

I know how to create an image of the DVD so that is not a problem. Backup complete.

But I would also like to save them in a playable format that I do not have to mount with just the main content. I want the best possible quality video AND audio. Preferably in a way that I can still have things like subtitles, multi-angle (I know there is not a lot of content like this but I like to be ready if things change in the future), but these are not essential.

I would also like to be able to play them on my PS3 via media sharing (already set up), but the format needs to be compatible (unless there is another way of using a non-compatible file type). If it is not possible to have both highest quality and PS3 format I will save the DVD as another format. Please advise on what would be best for this.

I think it goes without saying that disk space is not a problem as I am willing to save 3 copies of a film onto my PC (ISO, highest quality & PS3 compatible versions)
hopsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 22:51   #2  |  Link
hopsta

I also want to make sure that the surround sound is preserved. I have a 5.1 surround sound system that is linked to my PC via optical.

Thanks
Old 6th January 2010, 20:20   #3  |  Link
b66pak

use this:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143744
_
b66pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 09:08   #4  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I thought that PS3 can play DVDs ... even from an external HDD.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 20:10   #5  |  Link
squadjot

If you hook a network cable into your PS3, then open source "PS3 Media Server" eats almost anything.

The media server will send the streaming data (vid+sound) no prob.

note: it's super simple, and cross-platform aswell
squadjot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 00:07   #6  |  Link
hopsta

Thanks for your replies

I already stream music to my PS3 so that is not a problem, I just need to make sure they are in the right format.

My biggest concern is getting the DVD's onto my PC at the highest possible quality (with Surround Sound, Subtitles intact). I don't care what formate this is, as long as I am getting quality (of course it would be good if it was a format that other software/hardware likes but not essential)

thanks
Old 20th January 2010, 00:26   #7  |  Link
squadjot

Well, just rip the full dvd, and play it from PS3 media server?

edit: Depending on wich media server software you are using, you might need to rename the .vob files to .mpg

Last edited by squadjot; 20th January 2010 at 00:28.
squadjot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 02:21   #8  |  Link
7ekno

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadjot View Post
Well, just rip the full dvd, and play it from PS3 media server?
Why not do this? It keeps the entire DVD on the HDD and most media server will be able to stream the file by select the IFO file from the Video_TS folder (some will even stream from ISO directly) ... If not, you need to evaluate your streaming software, not transcoding DVDs (unless space is an issue) ..

Tools to rip are plentiful (DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink, DVDFab Decrypter, DeCSS, etc), although DVDFab and AnyDVD are probably the most updated for new titles, etc ...

7ek
Old 18th May 2010, 12:43   #9  |  Link
hopsta

Sorry it has taken so long to reply.

The reason I would not like to do this is because I have lots of TV box sets, and I would like to store the individual episodes as individual files. It makes it easier to find the episode that I want, rather then going through DVD menus, etc.

Any advise on how to do this?

P.S. I now have a Linkstation Quad to stream direct from that
Old 18th May 2010, 13:09   #10  |  Link
netmask

You could use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode and sequentially save each chapter.
BeyonWiz PVR T3 & V2 (Enigma2 clone)
Chromecast
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 7 Ultimate
QNAP NAS TS851
netmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 01:17   #11  |  Link
hopsta

At last...I have my answer! Thank you so much!

Lastly:
Do I need the .IFO file?
Can I change the .VOB file name with no problems?
Old 19th May 2010, 02:57   #12  |  Link
nevragain

You can rename the .vob to .mpg but it depend on the complexity a simple camcorder or dvd recorder generated disc will work but if there are multiple audio tracks or subtitles it may not work.
nevragain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 06:58   #13  |  Link
netmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsta View Post
At last...I have my answer! Thank you so much!

Lastly:
Do I need the .IFO file?
Can I change the .VOB file name with no problems?

If you want to maintain the subtitles etc then you need to keep the standard DVD format. You can convert the mini DVD's into a single ISO file that your PS3 can play using http://whoooop.co.uk/2009/02/08/play...station-3-ps3/

You can rename the ISO file to any identifiable name
Chromecast
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 7 Ultimate
QNAP NAS TS851
Old 19th May 2010, 11:40   #14  |  Link
hopsta

Hummm...I have used PS3mediaserver before. However, I am now hosting everything on my NAS (Linkstaion Quad).

Basically, I wanted to make things simpler. I would rather have one folder (e.g. Only Fools and Horses) with all episodes in that folder having a different file name, instead of, OFAH > Series 1 > E01 > VIDEO_TS > ***.VOB, ***.IFO, etc.

Is this possible while still keeping full functionality (subtitles, surround, etc.)?
Old 19th May 2010, 11:52   #15  |  Link
ww927bin

Handbrake, MPEG4
ww927bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:48   #16  |  Link
netmask

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsta View Post
Hummm...I have used PS3mediaserver before. However, I am now hosting everything on my NAS (Linkstaion Quad).

Basically, I wanted to make things simpler. I would rather have one folder (e.g. Only Fools and Horses) with all episodes in that folder having a different file name, instead of, OFAH > Series 1 > E01 > VIDEO_TS > ***.VOB, ***.IFO, etc.

Is this possible while still keeping full functionality (subtitles, surround, etc.)?
I don't have a PS3 - so how do you select a ripped DVD on your NAS? I suspect if you change the name of the VOB file to something else the first IFO file always called VIDEO_TS.IFO will not recognise the VOB file. You could always try one and see if it works. Have you ripped the separate chapters from your discs yet? As you said in your first post you need subtitles, chapters and surround sound so that means you either rip and demux and recode every title you want and that would be a monumental workload or maintain the standard DVD structure for every title.
Chromecast
Pioneer Bluray BDP-150-K
Windows 7 Ultimate
QNAP NAS TS851
Old 19th May 2010, 13:24   #17  |  Link
hopsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww927bin View Post
Handbrake, MPEG4
Wouldn't I loose quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmask View Post
I don't have a PS3 - so how do you select a ripped DVD on your NAS? I suspect if you change the name of the VOB file to something else the first IFO file always called VIDEO_TS.IFO will not recognise the VOB file. You could always try one and see if it works.
The file names are as follows (unedited):
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_VOBID_001_1.VOB

Something strange is happening. The VOB file opens fine in Real Player and Nero Showtime. However, it does not open in WMP or QuickTime. Any ideas?

The NAS automatically finds the files (not sure if it recognises VOB files at all, but will find out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netmask View Post
Have you ripped the separate chapters from your discs yet? As you said in your first post you need subtitles, chapters and surround sound so that means you either rip and demux and recode every title you want and that would be a monumental workload or maintain the standard DVD structure for every title.
I am not ripping chapters, just episodes. The method with IFO, I only need to make one click and episode 2 is ripping, that's all.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:18   #18  |  Link
hopsta

Any ideas?

Tags
dvd, high, highest, ps3, quality