Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 9th September 2018, 01:22   #1  |  Link
zorr

Introducing Zopti (ex AvisynthOptimizer)

Last year I dug up some old VHS videos and decided to finally digitize them. The tapes are old and I wanted to preserve them in the best quality I could afford. I soon found AviSynth and started to investigate how to do restoration and deinterlacing (for playback on computer).

This lead me to QTGMC-plugin and I was impressed by its capabilities but I did find some strange artifacts when I used the best quality settings. These artifacts were not present at lower quality settings. Being a perfectionist I naturally searched manually which of the 92 parameters were responsible for the artifacts and found them (more about that later).

There is quite a bit of noise in the old VHS tapes so naturally I investigated noise removal plugins. The temporal denoising made possible by MVTools is very important and I wanted to find out which settings are best for my VHS tapes. Reading these and other video restoration forums I found that there really isn't any one set of settings that would work for every type of video. So finding good settings would involve a lot of manual testing. Using MVTools to do motion compensation involves about 60 parameters so there's a lot of things to adjust... this task seemed hopeless.

So I began to wonder if there is anything that could automate this kind of process. Turns out that there is, and I made a tool that can help doing it. And now I'm about to share it with you.

An AviSynth script is first "augmented" by adding instructions on which parameters should be optimized. The instructions are written inside comments so the script will continue to work normally. The script also needs to measure the quality of the processed video using current parameter values or measure the running time (or preferably both the quality and runtime). The script needs to write these results to a specific file.

Now you might be wondering how on earth can the script measure the quality. I can only think of one way: to compare the frames to reference frames and measure the similarity. The closer the similary value, the better the quality. You could measure similarity in a very simplistic way using LumaDifference and ChromaUDifference+ChromaVDifference, but the best similary metric AviSynth currently has is SSIM. SSIM is not the best similarity metric anymore but it's still widely used in the image processing community. The SSIM plugin needs to have a function which returns the similarity value to the script. The only version that currently does that (as far as I know) is v0.25.1 by mitsubishi.

Ok, but where do we get the reference frames? In case of MVTools we can use the original frames as reference frames and the script will try to reconstruct them using motion compensation (but it's not allowed to use the reference frame in the reconstruction). We can do something similar if we want to use MVTools to double the framerate: we first create the double-rate video, then remove the original frames from it, then double the framerate again and finally compare these to the original frames. This idea is not limited to MVTools, you could for example do color grading using some other software and then try to recreate the same result using AviSynth. I'm sure the smart people here will find use cases I couldn't even dream about.

Most people don't only care about the quality, the script's run time is also important. I found a couple of different plugins to measure the runtime, but only one of them (AvsTimer) fit the bill and even then I had to make some modifications to it.

So if the purpose is to find the best settings, what do we consider the "best" when both quality and time are involved? For example we can have settings A with quality 99 (larger is better), time 2300ms (larger is worse) and settings B with quality 95 and time 200ms. Which one of these is better? We can use the concept of pareto domination to answer this question. When one solution is at least as good as the other solution in every objective (in this case the objectives are quality and speed) and better in at least one objective, it dominates the other solution. In this example, neither dominates the other. But if we have settings C with quality 99 and time 200ms it dominates both A and B. In the end we want to know all the nondominated solutions, which is called the pareto front. So there's going to be a list of parameters with increasing quality and runtime. You can have more than two objectives if you want, the same pareto concept works. There's a good and free ebook called "Essentials of Metaheuristics" which describes the pareto concept and much more.

AvisynthOptimizer reads the augmented script, verifies it and starts running a metaheuristic optimization algorithm. There are currently three algorithm choices: NSGA-II, SPEA2 and mutation. The first two are some of the best metaheuristic algorithms available and also described in the ebook mentioned above. The mutation is my own simplistic algorithm (but it can be useful if you're in a hurry since it's the most efficient). All the metaheuristic algorithms are working in a similar manner generating different solutions and testing them. The optimizer does these tests by creating AviSynth scripts with certain parameter values and running them. The script then writes quality/time results into a file which the optimizer then reads. The metaheuristic then decides which parameters to try next based on the results. This continues until some end criteria is met.

There are three different ending criterias: number of iterations, time limit and "dynamic". Number of iterations is just that, the algorithm runs the script specific number of times. Setting a time limit can be pretty useful if you know how much time you can use for the optimization. You could for example let it run overnight for 8 hours and see the results in the morning. Dynamic variation is stopping only when it doesn't make any progress anymore. Making progress is defined by "no more pareto front members in last x iterations". This can be useful if you want to find the best possible results regardless of how long it takes.

During the optimization all tested parameters and their results are written to a log file. This log file can be "evaluated" during and after the optimization process. The evaluation basically means finding the pareto front and showing it. You can also create AviSynth scripts from the pareto front in order to test them yourself. It's also possible to visualize the results of the log file in a two dimensional scatter chart. This chart highlights the pareto front and shows all the other results too. The chart can also be "autorefreshing": it loads the log file every few seconds and updates the visuals, which is a fun way to track how the optimization is progressing. Here's a gif what it looks like (obviously sped up):

The visualization has a few other bells and whistles but one I'd like to highlight here is the group by functionality: you can group the results by certain parameter's values and show a separate pareto front for each value. I think a picture is in order here, this what grouping by MVTools' blocksize looks like:

Measuring the script's runtime is not very accurate, ie it has some variation. All the other processes running at the same time are using CPU cycles and messing with the cache so you should try to minimize other activity on the computer. In order to get more accurate results you can run a validation on the finished results log file. In validation the idea is to run the pareto front results multiple times and calculate the average, median, minimum or maximum of these multiple measurements (you can decide which one(s)). After the pareto front is measured validation calculates the "secondary pareto front" by removing the results in the original pareto front and finding a pareto front of the remaining results. The verification is run on the secondary pareto front also because it's possible that due to inaccurate runtimes the real pareto front will contain results from the secondary pareto front. If the secondary pareto front did contain real pareto front members the validation takes the third pareto front and validates it as well. And so on until the current pareto front didn't contain any new pareto front members.

So how good is the optimizer? Let's take a look at one example. A while back there was a thread about best motion interpolation filters. There's a test video with a girl waving her hand. The best options currently are John Meyer's jm_fps script and FrameRateConverter. Here's a comparison gif with those two and AvisynthOptimizer. FramerateConverter was run with preset="slow".

Now obviously I'm showing a bit of a cherry-picked example here. The optimizer was instructed to search the best parameters for this short 10 frame sequence. I have run most of my optimization runs using only 10 frames because otherwise the optimization takes too long. Ideally the optimizer would automatically select the frames from a longer video, I have some ideas on how to implement that but as of now the user has to make the selection. Also this part of the video is not the most challenging part, I decided to try something relatively easy first. After all the optimizer cannot do miracles (that feature is not finished yet ).

At this point I envision that AvisynthOptimizer would be an useful tool for plugin authors so they can test plugin parameters and try to search for the optimal ones. At some later point AvisynthOptimizer could be useful for normal users, when combined with a script with limited search space so that the search will not take excessively long time.

All right, that's all for now. I will add more detailed explanations and the download links tomorrow. I haven't actually finished the documentation yet, but still wanted to get this thing out there before my vacation is over.

[EDIT] Here are the download links:
Download the zip (version 1.2.3) here and unzip to a folder of your liking. You will also need my modded AvsTimer and the SSIM plugin with the SSIM_FRAME-function which returns the SSIM value to the script. I have a package which contains both of those here.

More documentation can be found from these posts (if you're not interested in reading the whole thread):
Augmented Script (part 1/2)
Augmented Script (part 2/2)
Hands-on tutorial (part 1/2)
Hands-on tutorial (part 2/2)
Optimizer arguments

Last edited by zorr; 5th March 2022 at 21:24. Reason: Changed download link to latest version 1.2.3
zorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 10:53   #2  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Nice!
Old 9th September 2018, 12:53   #3  |  Link
Seedmanc

Sounds cool, but wouldn't it make more sense measuring quality by halving the source framerate and comparing upsampled FPS to the original frames instead of double-upsampling and comparing to the already imperfect recreated frames? Settings that worked well for a lower source framerate will surely work even better for a higher one.

Besides I don't get why everyone's using FRC as the golden measure, all it does is blending frames like ConvertFps but slow.
Seedmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 14:06   #4  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc View Post
Sounds cool, but wouldn't it make more sense measuring quality by halving the source framerate and comparing upsampled FPS to the original frames instead of double-upsampling and comparing to the already imperfect recreated frames? Settings that worked well for a lower source framerate will surely work even better for a higher one.
The interpolation task is much more difficult when done using half framerate, so it could mean no good settings are found. On the other hand
you can try to offset the difficulty by selecting a moderately easy part of the video for optimization. I think this idea is worth investigating. I will run some tests later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedmanc View Post
Besides I don't get why everyone's using FRC as the golden measure, all it does is blending frames like ConvertFps but slow.
I'm not an expert on this subject matter, just following what has been recommended by more knowledgeable people here. I did try InterFrame also but it gave very poor results. Do you know Avisynth plugins which do better frame interpolation than FRC?
Old 9th September 2018, 17:12   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
The interpolation task is much more difficult when done using half framerate
I'm sure that someone might have some suitable true 50/60FPS stuff to donate, [AssumeFPS(60.0) to make numbers better if 59.94fps].

I did start on some half arsed similar project but gave up (well on back burner somwhere), was intending to use from script and using RT_Stats
RT_Array and/or RT_DBase, maybe DBase for arg names, ranges etc, and array for results.

Your effort looks way more organized than my totally unplanned (lets see what happens) effort.

Good look and keep us all posted, your cherry pickin's look good to me

EDIT: I guess your thread explains all of the 'torture' you put me through in this thread:- http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175373

EDIT: Also take note that Source Framerate is also an indirect arg, and it would be good to also know how it
affects the results.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 9th September 2018 at 17:54.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 20:52   #6  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I'm sure that someone might have some suitable true 50/60FPS stuff to donate, [AssumeFPS(60.0) to make numbers better if 59.94fps].
The way I see it is that every video is unique and might need different parameters for optimal results. So doing this half-framerate test on such video will tell us one thing: what are good parametes for this one video. But with more test cases hopefully general patterns will emerge and the optimizer would only need to figure out which of these cases it is dealing with.

Quote:
I did start on some half arsed similar project but gave up (well on back burner somwhere), was intending to use from script and using RT_Stats
RT_Array and/or RT_DBase, maybe DBase for arg names, ranges etc, and array for results.

Your effort looks way more organized than my totally unplanned (lets see what happens) effort.
It wasn't that organized from the start, just a crazy idea that evolved gradually into what it is today. Hats off to you for trying to do it in pure Avisynth, I didn't even think of such possibility. It was fun to figure out all the parts that were needed. How do I make Avisynth script communicate the results to another program? How to run Avisynth scripts programmatically? And so on...

Quote:
Good look and keep us all posted, your cherry pickin's look good to me
Thanks, I have some more cherry-picked results to share but I have to finish this tutorial thread first.

Quote:
EDIT: I guess your thread explains all of the 'torture' you put me through in this thread:- http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175373
That would be correct. That was me trying to understand how to get the best possible quality out of MVTools.

Quote:
EDIT: Also take note that Source Framerate is also an indirect arg, and it would be good to also know how it
affects the results.
Sorry, which function has this argument?
Old 9th September 2018, 21:49   #7  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Sorry, which function has this argument?
Any function that takes a video clip with some non obligatory framerate.
(ie the results will be different depending upon input framerate, higher i/p framerate almost certainly better o/p).
EDIT: Assuming eg o/p to double rate.
EDIT: Also, assuming that I'm correct in thinking that vector length is limited to signed BYTE size, so is
also affected by input frame size (and also pel setting) [perhaps for 16 bit colorspace is limited to 16 bit vector, dont know].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 9th September 2018 at 22:21.
Old 10th September 2018, 01:20   #8  |  Link
zorr

Augmented Script (part 1/2)

Let's take a look at what an "augmented" script looks like. This is a complete script that contains everything AvisynthOptimizer needs. The script is using MFlowInter to reconstruct every frame of the video using the neighbour frames and then compares them to the original frames.

Code:
TEST_FRAMES = 10		# how many frames are tested
MIDDLE_FRAME = 50		# middle frame number

AVISource("d:\process2\1 deinterlaced.avi")
orig = last

# you could add preprocessing here to help MSuper - not used here
searchClip = orig

super_pel = 4					# optimize super_pel = _n_ | 2,4 | super_pel
super_sharp = 2					# optimize super_sharp = _n_ | 0..2 | super_sharp
super_rfilter = 2				# optimize super_rfilter = _n_ | 0..4 | super_rfilter

super_search = MSuper(pel=super_pel, sharp=super_sharp, rfilter=super_rfilter, searchClip)		
super_render = MSuper(pel=super_pel, sharp=super_sharp, rfilter=super_rfilter, last, levels=1)	

blockSize = 8					# optimize blockSize = _n_ | 6,8,12,16,24,32 ; min:divide 0 > 8 2 ? ; filter:overlap overlapv max 2 * x <= | blockSize
searchAlgo = 5					# optimize searchAlgo = _n_ | 0..7 D | searchAlgo
searchRange = 2					# optimize searchRange = _n_ | 1..10 | searchRange
searchRangeFinest = 2				# optimize searchRangeFinest = _n_ | 1..10 | searchRangeFinest
lambda = 1000*(blockSize*blockSize)/(8*8)	# optimize lambda = _n_ | 0..20000 | lambda
lsad=1200					# optimize lsad=_n_ | 8..20000 | LSAD
pnew=0						# optimize pnew=_n_ | 0..256 | pnew
plevel=1					# optimize plevel=_n_ | 0..2 | plevel
overlap=2					# optimize overlap=_n_ | 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 ; max:blockSize 2 / ; filter:x divide 0 > 4 2 ? % 0 == | overlap
overlapv=2					# optimize overlapv=_n_ | 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 ; max:blockSize 2 / | overlapv
divide=0					# optimize divide=_n_ | 0..2 ; max:blockSize 8 >= 2 0 ? overlap 4 % 0 == 2 0 ? min | divide
globalMotion = true				# optimize globalMotion = _n_ | false,true | globalMotion
badSAD = 10000					# optimize badSAD = _n_ | 4..10000 | badSAD
badRange = 24					# optimize badRange = _n_ | 4..50 | badRange
meander = true					# optimize meander = _n_ | false,true | meander
temporal = false				# optimize temporal = _n_ | false,true | temporal
trymany = false					# optimize trymany = _n_ | false,true | trymany

# smallest delta is 1 but you can make the task more challenging by using larger delta (larger deltas often used in temporal denoising)
delta = 1

useChroma = true
bv = MAnalyse(super_search, isb = true, blksize=blockSize, search=searchAlgo, searchparam=searchRange, pelsearch=searchRangeFinest, chroma=useChroma, \
delta=delta, lambda=lambda, lsad=lsad, pnew=pnew, plevel=plevel, global=globalMotion, overlap=overlap, overlapv=overlapv, divide=divide, badSAD=badSAD, \
 badrange=badRange, meander=meander, temporal=temporal, trymany=trymany)
fv = MAnalyse(super_search, isb = false, blksize=blockSize, search=searchAlgo, searchparam=searchRange, pelsearch=searchRangeFinest, chroma=useChroma, \
delta=delta, lambda=lambda, lsad=lsad, pnew=pnew, plevel=plevel, global=globalMotion, overlap=overlap, overlapv=overlapv, divide=divide, badSAD=badSAD, \
 badrange=badRange, meander=meander, temporal=temporal, trymany=trymany)

# NOTE: we disable scene change detection by setting thSCD1 very high
blockChangeThreshold = 10000 
maskScale = 70								# optimize maskScale = _n_ | 1..300 | maskScale
inter = last.MFlowInter(super_render, bv, fv, time=50, ml=maskScale, thSCD1=blockChangeThreshold, thSCD2=100, blend=false)

# SSIM needs YV12 colospace
inter_yv12 = inter.ConvertToYV12()
orig_yv12 = orig.ConvertToYV12()

# for comparison original must be forwarded one frame
orig_yv12 = trim(orig_yv12,1,0)

# cut out the part used in quality / speed evaluation
inter_yv12 = inter_yv12.Trim(MIDDLE_FRAME - TEST_FRAMES/2 + (TEST_FRAMES%2==0?1:0), MIDDLE_FRAME + TEST_FRAMES/2)
orig_yv12 = orig_yv12.Trim(MIDDLE_FRAME - TEST_FRAMES/2 + (TEST_FRAMES%2==0?1:0), MIDDLE_FRAME + TEST_FRAMES/2)
last = inter_yv12

# calculate SSIM value for each test frame
global total = 0.0
global ssim_total = 0.0
FrameEvaluate(last, """
	global ssim = SSIM_FRAME(orig_yv12, inter_yv12)
	global ssim = (ssim == 1.0 ? 0.0 : ssim)
	global ssim_total = ssim_total + ssim	
""")	

# measure runtime, plugin writes the value to global avstimer variable
# NOTE: AvsTimer should be called before WriteFile
global avstimer = 0.0
AvsTimer(frames=1, type=0, total=false, name="Optimizer")

# per frame logging (ssim, time)
delimiter = "; "
resultFile = "D:\optimizer\perFrame.txt"	# output out1="ssim: MAX(float)" out2="time: MIN(time) ms" file="D:\optimizer\perFrame.txt"
WriteFile(resultFile, "current_frame", "delimiter", "ssim", "delimiter", "avstimer")

# write "stop" at the last frame to tell the optimizer that the script has finished
frame_count = FrameCount()
WriteFileIf(resultFile, "current_frame == frame_count-1", """ "stop " """, "ssim_total", append=true)

# return original and reconstructed frame side by side for comparison
#return StackHorizontal(orig_yv12, inter_yv12)

# NOTE: must return last or FrameEvaluate will not run
return last
That's not the most simple example I could think of but it's a good example because it uses some of the more advanced features of the optimizer.

Code:
TEST_FRAMES = 10		# how many frames are tested
We begin by declaring a couple of variables which help choosing the part which gets optimized. TEST_FRAMES tells how many frames long the test sequence is. MIDDLE_FRAME tells the frame number in the middle of the test sequence. So you can find an interesting part of the video and make note of the frame number and then set it as the middle frame number. These are by no means necessary in the script, they're just there to help.

Code:
super_pel = 4					# optimize super_pel = _n_ | 2,4 | super_pel
super_sharp = 2					# optimize super_sharp = _n_ | 0..2 | super_sharp
super_rfilter = 2				# optimize super_rfilter = _n_ | 0..4 | super_rfilter

super_search = MSuper(pel=super_pel, sharp=super_sharp, rfilter=super_rfilter, searchClip)		
super_render = MSuper(pel=super_pel, sharp=super_sharp, rfilter=super_rfilter, last, levels=1)
Skipping a couple of lines we find the first AvisynthOptimizer related code. Here we define a couple of variables (in practice constants) that are later used in MSuper calls. The comment lines which start with "# optimize" are read by AvisynthOptimizer. (NOTE: "#optimize" will not work). The comments consist of three sections separated by "|" character.

The first section (after the word optimize) tells which part of code needs to be manipulated by the optimizer. The part with "_n_" is replaced with different values, the rest is there just give enough context on where this "_n_" -part is located. Whitespace matters here, so "# optimize super_pel=_n_" would not work when the code says "super_pel = 4".

The second section tells the valid values the optimizer should try for this parameter. You can define it as a range, for example "1..5" which would mean values from 1 to 5. Or you can define the values as a list separated by commas, for example "1,2,3". Booleans are supported (usually given as "false,true"). Strings are supported as well. Floats however are not, so if the parameter is a floating point number define it something like this:

Code:
param = 100/1000.0 	# optimize param = _n_/1000.0 | 0..1000 | paramName
This would give you floating point values between 0.0 and 1.0 with 0.001 intervals. You should consider what to use as the divider. A large divider means larger search space which makes the search more difficult. Too small divider could mean you miss the optimal value. One good strategy could be using a coarse interval first and do another run with finer interval after you've figured out an approximate optimal value. Don't forget the ".0" in the divider, otherwise you get integer division and no floating point numbers!

The last section is the name of the parameter. I have named some of the parameters differently than their corresponding parameter name in MVTools just to make it a little easier to remember what they do. These names are used in the log files where tested parameter values are reported. Also you can refer to other parameters by using these names (more about that in a little while).

Code:
searchAlgo = 5		# optimize searchAlgo = _n_ | 0..7 D | searchAlgo
This is another basic variable / optimizer definition but it has this "D" after the range. The D is short for "discrete" and means the optimizer should not make any assumptions that values closer to each other are more similar. Usually this is the case, for example when changing search range from 8 to 9 we expect smaller change in the result than if we change it from 8 to 20. This particular parameter controls the search algorithm and we have no idea whether algorithms 1 and 2 are more similar than, say, algorithms 1 and 3.

Code:
overlap=2	# optimize overlap=_n_ | 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 ; max:blockSize 2 / ; filter:x divide 0 > 4 2 ? % 0 == | overlap
What on earth is this? Calm down, there is an explanation. So the middle part where valid values are described can itself be divided into sections separated by ";"-character. The first part is just a normal value list: "0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16". The second and third parts are there because of an important feature: conflict resolvation (not sure if that's a word). So MVTools is kinda picky on what kind of parameter values you give to it. If it doesn't like the combination it will give an error message instead of doing something useful. For example overlap cannot be larger than half the blocksize. The optimizer doesn't know this (unless we tell it) and would happily try thousands of combinations where overlap is larger than blocksize/2. One way out of this problem is to wrap the script in try..catch and write out zero as quality when this happens. That would work but the optimizer would waste a lot of time trying invalid parameter combinations.

The better solution is to tell the kind of dependencies the parameters have between them. In this case we define a max dependency: "max:blockSize 2 /". The part after "max:" is a function written in reverse polish notation. For all the non-reverse-polish people this means blockSize/2. Now the optimizer knows that the maximum value of overlap is blockSize/2. Here we are referring to another parameter "blockSize" by its name.

The final part and the most difficult one by far is the filter dependency. It's used when minimum and maximum dependencies are not enough. The idea of the filter is that the optimizer will do a test for the current parameter values during the runtime. The current value of the parameter is put inside the formula replacing the "x". Then the formula is evaluated and if it returns true the parameter value is accepted as valid. The formula in reverse polish form "x divide 0 > 4 2 ? % 0 ==", which in infix form is "x % ((divide > 0) ? 4 : 2) == 0". "divide" is not division operator but another parameter name (perhaps not the best name choice here). In plain english this states that if (divide > 0) then overlap should be divisible by 4, otherwise it should be divisible by 2.

Code:
blockSize = 8		# optimize blockSize = _n_ | 6,8,12,16,24,32 ; min:divide 0 > 8 2 ? ; filter:overlap overlapv max 2 * x <= | blockSize
I will highlight this line as well because here in the filter definition we have "max", which is the maximum function. The full list of supported operators is +, -, *, /, %, <, >, <=, >=, ==, !=, ?, min, max, and, or.

Whenever you define a dependency with another parameter, you should do it for both parameters involved. So for example because overlap has a max dependency on blockSize, the blockSize should have min or filter dependency on overlap. The reason for this is to avoid bias in the search. If there is a conflict between overlap and blockSize, the optimizer will try to resolve it by changing either overlap's value or blockSize's value (and it does this in a fair way so that both get changed as often). If the dependency is defined only in one of the parameters, it will always change that parameter's value (it's not smart enough to figure out the valid values for the other one). This would introduce bias in the search and possibly ruin the chances of finding the optimal results.

That's all there is to defining the parameters to optimize. The reverse polish notation is something I would like to change since it's not the most user friendly format. The infix parsers I looked at were unfortunately not able to deal with ternary operators. But if you just want to optimize MVTools the hard part is already done and you can reuse my parameter definitions.

Code:
# calculate SSIM value for each test frame
global total = 0.0
global ssim_total = 0.0
FrameEvaluate(last, """
	global ssim = SSIM_FRAME(orig_yv12, inter_yv12)
""")
This is the part where we calculate the quality using SSIM. The current frame's quality is stored at "ssim"-variable and the code also calculates the total into "ssim_total". Sometimes MVTools returns the original frame when called with bad parameter values and SSIM returns the maximum similarity 1.0. Those frames have to be rated zero instead.

Code:
# NOTE: AvsTimer should be called before WriteFile
global avstimer = 0.0
This part measures the runtime of every frame. The AvsTimer plugin needed some modifications for this purpose. The original returned frames per second as integer value, I changed it to return the passed time in milliseconds. Moreover, the timer was reporting the results into Windows debug log only, my version writes the result into a global variable called avstimer (I should add a parameter where you can define the parameter name).

Part 2 below...

Last edited by zorr; 23rd November 2018 at 00:45. Reason: Added new operators !=, and, or
Old 10th September 2018, 01:26   #9  |  Link
zorr

Augmented Script (part 2/2)

Code:
delimiter = "; "
resultFile = "D:\optimizer\perFrame.txt"	# output out1="ssim: MAX(float)" out2="time: MIN(time) ms" file="D:\optimizer\perFrame.txt"
WriteFile(resultFile, "current_frame", "delimiter", "ssim", "delimiter", "avstimer")
The current frame number, per frame ssim and runtime values are written to a file, separated by ";". The comment starting "# output" is another important input for the optimizer. Here we define the output values of the script in a special format. The first output is defined with out1="...", the second with out2="..." and so on. The format is "<name>: <goal>(<type>) [<unit>]". <name> is the name of the output, this is used in the visualization. <goal> is either MIN or MAX (or a lowercase variation) and tells whether we want to minimize or maximize this value. <type> can be float, int or time. Time is a float but it will be rounded to 10 milliseconds (this is the default and can be changed). The reason for the rounding is that the time measurement itself is not very accurate and a very small difference in the timing is not very important anyway. For example if we have to scripts with the same quality but the other is one millisecond faster that probably isn't a reason to consider it better (and we can't be sure which one is really faster). <unit> is an optional name for the unit. It will be used in the visualization if it's defined. All of this can also be defined in another, more verbose format. For example we could define out1="ssim: MAX(float)" with "name1=ssim, goal1=MAX, type1=float". In this case I didn't use quotes, they are not necessary if the values don't contain space characters. The rounding can be defined with roundx="...", for example "round2=10".

The "file=" -definition is the only compulsory output parameter, the others have default values. The optimizer will change the file name where the results are written for every new script that it creates. For that reason it needs to know what part of the text needs to be replaced with a new file name. We just need to repeat the same file name which is used as the resultFile's value.

Code:
# write "stop" at the last frame to tell the optimizer that the script has finished
WriteFileIf(resultFile, "current_frame == frame_count-1", """ "stop " """, "ssim_total", append=true)
When the script is finished it writes a line starting with "stop". This is needed to tell the optimizer that the script is finished processing and the result is ready for consumption. The optimizer is polling the file every 0.1 seconds until this line is found. I was hoping to use a more sane technique but as of now this is how it works. The polling interval is not too extreme so it doesn't use much CPU or I/O but also frequent enough so that we can get the results rapidly. Maybe the polling interval should be customizable. The code above also writes the total ssim value but does NOT write a total runtime. If the runtime were written also the optimizer would read the result using these values from the last line. If the last line doesn't contain enough values to read (in this case two would be needed, one for each output) it reads all the lines and sums the values there. In some cases the script might calculate the final result using a different logic than simple addition, it can then write the result as the last line. In that case the individual lines are not even needed so the first WriteFile() could be removed.

Code:
# return original and reconstructed frame side by side for comparison
#return StackHorizontal(orig_yv12, inter_yv12)

# NOTE: must return last or FrameEvaluate will not run
return last
The script must return "last" in order to work properly (FrameEvaluate is not called otherwise). If you're debugging the script and returning for example a comparison frame with original and reconstructed frame just remember to change it back to "last" when you're done.

The results-file will look like this:

Code:
0; 0.754317; 164.351318
1; 0.859464; 92.895966
2; 0.805696; 67.377174
3; 0.744211; 64.517632
4; 0.684871; 60.627941
5; 0.821181; 63.919125
6; 0.919067; 57.346405
7; 0.842346; 57.677219
8; 0.833121; 65.297905
9; 0.787272; 59.674370
stop 8.051547
All right, that's enough for today. Tomorrow I will cover how to run the optimizer and then add the download package.
Old 10th September 2018, 03:18   #10  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Sorry Zorr, I had not properly read your intro, (skim read far too much), and I now understand that you are trying to optimize for the current clip,
and not a generally best settings set, for any ol' clip. The double current, chuck originals away and do it again, is a bit of lateral thinking that
skipped over this head, and (assuming it works, and I guess it must), then is quite inspired.

I can see me reading this thread a good few times from start to finish, and have also downed the meta-wottsit PDF thing to have a read of that too.

Will delete this post so as not to interfere in your postings flow, after you post the next intriguing episode.

EDIT:
Quote:
(assuming it works, and I guess it must)
If it does, then you have indeed found good settings and so when using for real [ie without "double current, chuck originals away and do it again"], should be great quality.

Last edited by StainlessS; 10th September 2018 at 17:27.
Old 14th September 2018, 21:27   #11  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
I now understand that you are trying to optimize for the current clip,
and not a generally best settings set, for any ol' clip.
Optimizing for the current clip is the easier option. You just run the optimization and you should have good settings for that one clip (or at least for one small part of that one clip...). And this is already useful because different clips do need different settings to be optimal.

But in the long run I also want to see if the default settings of MVTools and other filters can be made better. That however takes a lot more work, the settings will have to be tested on many kinds of videos. Maybe we can find settings that work better for most videos than the current default settings. Maybe the current defaults are already optimal in that regard. I think it's worth trying now that we have a tool that can help.

Quote:
Will delete this post so as not to interfere in your postings flow, after you post the next intriguing episode.
No need to delete, this is all relevant conversation.

Quote:
If it does, then you have indeed found good settings and so when using for real [ie without "double current, chuck originals away and do it again"], should be great quality.
Yes, in this case the optimization task is more difficult than the way the script is used for real, which should make the real case better quality.
Old 14th September 2018, 22:07   #12  |  Link
zorr

Hands-on tutorial (part 1/2)

[EDIT] Tutorial updated to match the features of the latest version of AvisynthOptimizer (no longer using VirtualDub to run scripts, better error handling, colored text)

It's finally time for you to get your greedy hands on AvisynthOptimizer! Download the zip here and unzip to a folder of your liking. You will also need my modded AvsTimer and the SSIM plugin with the SSIM_FRAME-function which returns the SSIM value to the script. I have a package which contains both of those here. Let's first see what is inside the AvisynthOptimizer package:

Code:
lib (folder)
AviSynthOptimizer.jar	
avsr.exe
avsr64.exe
optimizer.bat
optimizer.ini
versionHistory.txt
The optimizer is written in Java so you need to have Java Runtime. If it's not installed yet, go ahead and grab it from here.

AvisynthOptimizer.jar contains the main code. There are some external jar dependencies in the lib-folder.

avsr.exe and avsr64.exe this is Groucho2004's avsr utility which is used to run the scripts (thanks Groucho2004!)

optimizer.bat is a batch file you can use to run the optimizer.

optimizer.ini contains some configuration settings. In it's initial state it looks like this:

Code:
architecture=
log=
The first line tells the default Avisynth architecture (x86 or x64) used to run the scripts. The optimizer will ask you which one to use on the first time it's started (unless you're using 32bit Windows, in which case it doesn't need to ask) and write the value here. You can also override the default value using the -arch parameter.

The second line "log=" doesn't have a value either. The optimizer will update here the latest log file it has written to. It's useful when evaluating logs (we don't have to specify the log file, it defaults to the file found in this .ini file).

versionHistory.txt what could this be? yes, it's the version history.

Let's move on to our first optimizing task. When I was trying to come up what a suitable first demonstration I found this thread where Fizick was comparing the quality of denoisers using SSIM. One of the first filters he tried was FFT3DFilter. The script is short and simple and shouldn't be too difficult to optimize. Let's find out if we can beat Fizick's best settings!

The challenge introduced in that thread is the following: introduce noise to a video and then try to remove it with the denoiser, finally compare the denoised frames to the original frames with SSIM. The goal is to get as good similarity as possible. The video used can be downloaded here. It's in raw 4:2:0 YUV format and can we read with RawSource.

Let's first make a script that has the SSIM comparison and just for a good measure the timing measurement as well. If I was doing a serious optimization I would measure more than 5 frames but let's keep the runtime fast in this example. Note that we're adding the noise using a constant seed value so that the noise is exactly the same every time we run the script, making sure that there isn't an unknown variable messing with our quality measurements. The script is using the best FFT3DFilter settings found in the thread. Change the Rawsource path and resultFile path if needed. The example script has an absolute path for the source file but it's not necessary.

Code:
TEST_FRAMES = 5			# how many frames are tested

RawSource("D:\optimizer\test\flower\flower_cif.yuv", width=352, height=288, pixel_type="I420")
source=ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")
noisy=source.AddGrain(25, 0, 0, seed=1)

denoised=noisy.FFT3DFilter(sigma=4, bt=4, bw=16, bh=16, ow=8, oh=8)		# best settings by Fizick

# cut out the part used in quality / speed evaluation
source = source.Trim(MIDDLE_FRAME - TEST_FRAMES/2 + (TEST_FRAMES%2==0?1:0), MIDDLE_FRAME + TEST_FRAMES/2)
denoised = denoised.Trim(MIDDLE_FRAME - TEST_FRAMES/2 + (TEST_FRAMES%2==0?1:0), MIDDLE_FRAME + TEST_FRAMES/2)
last = denoised

global total = 0.0
global ssim_total = 0.0
FrameEvaluate(last, """
	global ssim = SSIM_FRAME(source, denoised)
""")	

global avstimer = 0.0

delimiter = "; "
resultFile = "perFrameResults.txt"	# output out1="ssim: MAX(float)" out2="time: MIN(time) ms" file="perFrameResults.txt"

return last
Save the script as "denoise.avs" and run it in VirtualDub (or whatever you normally use to run the Avisynth scripts) by double-clicking the file. In VirtualDub press play once and then look for the perFrameResults.txt file. It should contain something like this:

Code:
0; 0.987766; 12.808190
1; 0.987759; 6.340095
2; 0.987965; 6.358214
3; 0.987979; 5.819328
4; 0.987961; 5.781337
stop 4.939430
The quality values (0.987...) should be the same as above, your runtimes will be faster or slower than mine. The last line with the sum of SSIM values should be the same as well.

Ok, so 4.939430 is the result we're trying to beat. Now let's change the script a bit to make it ready for the optimizer.

Replace this part

Code:
denoised=noisy.FFT3DFilter(sigma=4, bt=4, bw=16, bh=16, ow=8, oh=8)		# best settings by Fizick
with this:

Code:
sigma = 400/100.0 	# optimize sigma = _n_/100.0 | 100..800 | sigma
bt = 4			# optimize bt = _n_ | -1..5 | blockTemporal
blockSize = 32		# optimize blockSize = _n_ | 2..64 | blockSize
overlap = 16		# optimize overlap = _n_ | 0..32 | overlap
denoised=noisy.FFT3DFilter(sigma=sigma, bt=bt, bw=blockSize, bh=blockSize, ow=overlap, oh=overlap)
When you start optimizing you have to guess what the suitable ranges are for each parameter. Since we already know at least one very good set of parameters we could set the range around those values. But let's not make it too easy for the optimizer and instead give it relatively large ranges. Besides, maybe the best result isn't near the values Fizick found, you never know.

We're going to try values 1.0 - 8.0 for the sigma, values from -1 to 5 for the bt (the full range allowed), values 2 - 64 for the bw and bh and 0 - 32 for the ow and oh. The last two are the overlap in x and y direction, they can use the same value because we have no reason to believe they should be different (at least in this case where the noise is uniform in all directions). The same applies for the block's size. In general it's a good idea to try to keep the number of parameters to optimize small, it makes the optimization job easier.

Now we can start the optimizer. Open a command line window in the directory you installed it to and write

Code:
optimizer <path_to_your_script>
The only thing you need to give is the path to the script you want to optimize. Mine was "../test/flower/denoise.avs".

Now since this is the first time you're running the optimizer it will ask the preferred Avisynth architecture:

Code:
Which Avisynth architecture are you (mostly) using?
NOTE: this default setting can be overridden with -arch argument
  1 - 32bit (x86)
  2 - 64bit (x64)
Just answer with 1 or 2 <ENTER>. The optimizer should start running and displaying the tested parameter combinations. However, it soon stops and displays an error message:

Code:
Error in script execution:

FFT3DFilter: Must not be 2*ow > bw
<script path and line number>
If you look at the last line you can see that the script is located at <optimizer_install_path>/work. That's the work folder where the optimizer is creating the scripts into. If there's an error the latest script will still be there so you can try to debug it. Also if you abort the optimization (with CTRL+C and answering Y when asked if you want to terminate the batch job) the optimizer doesn't have a chance to clean up properly so there may be some leftover script files in the work folder. It's safe to delete all of them if you're not currently running an optimization.

Let's figure out what the error message is trying to say. Looks like there is a dependency between the parameters ow and bw. We should add those to our script and try again. This dependency is almost the same we already saw in the MVTools script, namely that overlap cannot be larger than half the blockSize. The dependencies are thus:

Code:
blockSize = 32		# optimize blockSize = _n_ | 2..64 ; min:overlap 2 * | blockSize
overlap = 16		# optimize overlap = _n_ | 0..32 ; max:blockSize 2 / | overlap
Remember that we should define the dependency for both parameters involved in order not to introduce bias. Bias is bad! After you've replaced those lines run the optimizer again. This time it should be happy and keep on going.

Code:
Mutating 2 params by 28,5 %
RESOLVED: blockSize 5 -> 14
RESOLVED: blockSize 10 -> 36
RESOLVED: overlap 10 -> 6
RESOLVED: overlap 4 -> 3
* 105 / 2000 : 4.946868 50ms sigma=514 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=11 overlap=5
  106 / 2000 : 4.9306154 90ms sigma=717 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=26 overlap=13
  107 / 2000 : 4.911076 30ms sigma=726 blockTemporal=4 blockSize=5 overlap=2
  108 / 2000 : 4.932592 60ms sigma=732 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
+ 109 / 2000 : 4.8711557 10ms sigma=752 blockTemporal=4 blockSize=16 overlap=0
  110 / 2000 : 4.933645 70ms sigma=625 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=36 overlap=18
  111 / 2000 : 4.937391 60ms sigma=670 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=12 overlap=6
  112 / 2000 : 4.918705 30ms sigma=752 blockTemporal=4 blockSize=7 overlap=3
Parameter sensitivity estimation with 256 result combinations
  -> sigma 1,573 blockTemporal 1,178 blockSize 0,600 overlap 0,720
This is a short sample from my run. Every once in a while the optimizer tells what mutation settings it is currently using. The mutations are large in the beginning and gradually become smaller towards the end. This is not particularly relevant information, just a small sanity check.

Next we have four RESOLVED lines, they tell us how the conflicts were resolved in the current generation. If you don't see any resolve lines that just means that there weren't any conflicts. The important thing here is that both blockSize and overlap get their values changed. If you have a parameter with dependencies defined but never see it on the resolved line, then something could be wrong about the definitions.

Then we have a list of results. The first number is the current iteration, always increasing by one with every result. The second number is the total number of iterations in this run. The default is 2000. The next two numbers are the SSIM value and runtime which the script calculated. The rest of the line spells out the parameters used with this result. Some of the result lines have different colors and symbols (+, *) in front of them. If you're lucky you might even see the "e" symbol. The * symbol (red line) means this is the best result found so far. Now this needs a bit more explanation... didn't we already conclude that there is not one best result but a pareto front? Yes, but here the best result is determined by sorting the results by the *first* value output from the script (in this case the SSIM value). So whenever we find the best SSIM so far the * is displayed in front of the result. The + symbol (yellow line) signifies that we have found a new pareto front member. And if you see "e", it means this result is exactly as good as some other result already in the pareto front ("e" is short for "equal"). The optimizer never tries the same parameter combination twice so this should be pretty rare, but can happen because sometimes certain parameter don't have much (or any) effect on the result. Whenever you see * or + you know the algorithm is making progress.

The last two lines say some gibberish about parameter sensitivity. This is my invention where the algorithm is trying to determine (based on recent results) how sensitive the parameters are. A sensitive parameter is one that causes a large change in the result when its value changes. The sensitivity value shown is large for sensitive parameters and small for non-sensitive parameters. The reason for this sensitivity business is that the mutations we're making are scaled by the sensitivity in order to avoid too large or too small changes for the parameters. In my testing the optimizer gives better results with the sensitivity estimation than without it so it defaults to being enabled.

2000 iterations is a bit long for this optimization task, so let's stop the optimizer (CTRL+C, Y) and make it run a much lighter task. This time we give it the number of iterations as an argument:

Code:
optimizer <path_to_your_script> -iters 100
Now the optimizer will finish much faster, on my machine it only takes about 80 seconds. But wait a minute... it didn't finish after 100 iterations but started another run! Why is it doing that? Here's the deal: randomness is a large factor in the metaheuristic algorithms. This means that the results of an optimization run will be different every time, and the differences can be large. So if you only run the optimization once and have bad luck you get bad results. This is why you should try at least a couple of runs. The default is 5 runs. Let's wait until the optimizer has finished them all. Except that we still have something fun to try...

Last edited by zorr; 9th December 2018 at 23:41. Reason: Updated download link to latest version 0.9.16-beta
Old 14th September 2018, 22:30   #13  |  Link
zorr

Hands-on tutorial (part 2/2)

While the optimizer is running we can run the visualization. Open another command line window in the optimizer's folder and run:

Code:
optimizer -mode evaluate
A window opens with a chart of the latest optimization run. I took a shot while the third run was under way:

The grey dots are all the results of the latest run. The red dots which are connected by a black line are the latest run's pareto front. The black larger dots, connected by a grey line, are the global pareto front, meaning the best results from all the runs. These descriptions are also visible in the info box in the bottom right corner. The info box also shows the latest run number and the number of iterations finished.

Over the chart window there's a long text, that's the name of the latest log file where these results are stored. The name is long because it contains all the relevant parameters of the metaheuristic algorithm. It also contains the script name we're optimizing and the timestamp when the optimization started. All this information could be useful later when you have hundreds of log files.

Notice how all the results are clustered on 10ms marks on the X axis, that's because the runtimes are rounded. The chart doesn't show all the results but instead focuses on the best ones. To be precise, the chart shows the best X% of the results. The focused percentage can be defined by a parameter, the default % is 20. This is implemented because the top results are usually the interesting ones. The default percentage can be changed with the argument -top.

Close the visualization window from the X and let's try an automatically updating chart. Start it by typing

Code:
optimizer -mode evaluate -autorefresh true
The chart opens like before but now you should see that the visuals are changing every few seconds. You can also see grey rectangles around some of the results. Those rectangles mean these results are among the last N results (default N is 10). If the optimizer starts a new run the autorefreshing chart starts showing it and the run number changes in the info box.

All right, that's enough about visualization for now. In the next phase we will look at the finished results. Go grab some coffee (or something else if you don't like coffee, like me) and come back in less than 8 minutes. Or even sooner if your machine is faster than mine.

Now that the optimizer has finished we can try to analyze the results. Start the evaluation once more (autorefresh not needed, there's nothing to refresh)

Code:
optimizer -mode evaluate
You can marvel the wonderful chart for a while if you like but we're going to focus on the command line window where we started the visualization from. It displays (among other things) the best result (again ranked by the first output's value) of every run. If there's a lot of variation in those results and their parameter values that means our search was not thorough enough. In that case you might get better results by increasing the iteration count. Here's what I got with 100 iterations:

Code:
Run 1 best: 4.940206 70 sigma=704 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=17 overlap=7
Run 2 best: 4.947239 50 sigma=551 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=13 overlap=6
Run 3 best: 4.935884 50 sigma=771 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=19 overlap=5
Run 4 best: 4.941647 90 sigma=607 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=23 overlap=10
Run 5 best: 4.928436 20 sigma=725 blockTemporal=3 blockSize=20 overlap=7
We can see that there's some variation in the SSIM values. And hey, 3 out of 5 are better than our goal, yippee! The parameter values are not that close to each other either. To see if more iterations would help I tried 200 iterations: (you don't need to run these)

Code:
Run 1 best: 4.94857 60 sigma=486 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=16 overlap=8
Run 2 best: 4.947047 60 sigma=543 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=16 overlap=8
Run 3 best: 4.931532 160 sigma=474 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=43 overlap=21
Run 4 best: 4.942368 30 sigma=464 blockTemporal=3 blockSize=12 overlap=6
Run 5 best: 4.944955 30 sigma=462 blockTemporal=4 blockSize=12 overlap=6
Hmm... not much of an improvement. Let's try 500 iterations:

Code:
Run 1 best: 4.9489594 60 sigma=480 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Run 2 best: 4.948967 60 sigma=475 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Run 3 best: 4.948965 60 sigma=485 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Run 4 best: 4.948967 60 sigma=475 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Run 5 best: 4.948962 60 sigma=477 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Wow, look at that! All parameters but sigma are equal in all runs, and even sigmas are varying very little. Looks like we've found the optimal settings, or at least something very close to it. Just for kicks this is the result with 2000 iterations:

Code:
Run 1 best: 4.948967 60 sigma=479 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Run 2 best: 4.948967 60 sigma=479 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Run 3 best: 4.948967 60 sigma=479 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Run 4 best: 4.948967 60 sigma=479 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
Run 5 best: 4.948967 60 sigma=479 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=14 overlap=7
The evaluation also shows the best and worst result of the series and the pareto front of the whole series (the global pareto front). These are the best results from all of the runs. The pareto front is sorted by the first output's value, best value first. Here's my pareto front from the 100 iterations series:

Code:
Pareto front:
  4.947239 50 sigma=551 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=13 overlap=6
  4.942367 40 sigma=566 blockTemporal=5 blockSize=16 overlap=6
  4.9421406 30 sigma=551 blockTemporal=4 blockSize=14 overlap=6
  4.93908 20 sigma=560 blockTemporal=3 blockSize=14 overlap=6
  4.917379 10 sigma=790 blockTemporal=3 blockSize=15 overlap=2
As you can see the first result has the best SSIM and the worst runtime, going down the list the SSIM gets worse and the runtime gets better. This is a pretty fast script to run, even the longest time was only 50 milliseconds so in this case we can forget about the runtime and choose the result with the best SSIM value. However, some other plugins can have wildly different runtimes depending on the used parameter values (MVTools is among those). In that case you should consider if the extra quality is worth the increased runtime.

One final step in this tutorial: let's create the scripts from the pareto front.

Code:
optimizer -mode evaluate -scripts true
After you've run that you should find Avisynth scripts with names like "denoise_PARETO_01_4.947239_50.avs". The name contains the script's name, the word PARETO, a number which stands for the order in the pareto front (01 -> best, 02 -> second best and so on) and the result values (SSIM and runtime). You can then run those scripts and compare the quality with your very own eyeballs.

So far we have always evaluated the latest optimization run. If you need to go back to earlier ones, give the name of the log file(s) with the -log parameter. You can use the "*" wildcard in the name, for example if you want to analyze all logs starting with "denoise" you could run

Code:
optimizer -mode evaluate -log "../test/flower/denoise*.log"
Note that quotes are needed when using the wildcards.

I will give you one more option to play with: the -vismode (short for "visualize mode") which can take the values none, single, series and seriespareto.
In the next episode we will take a closer look at the optimizer and how to customize the optimization process besides the iteration count.

Last edited by zorr; 14th September 2018 at 22:32. Reason: Corrected description of the chart
Old 15th September 2018, 00:06   #14  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorr View Post
process.vfc - this is a VirtualDub script that runs the Avisynth script using "Null video pass" meaning it doesn't write the resulting video anywhere. runavs.bat is passing this file to VirtualDub.
There are much easier ways to run a script.
For example: "avsmeter script.avs -o".
Old 15th September 2018, 00:33   #15  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

JFYI, (anybodies info),
On WXP32 (last Firefox for XP32), I was getting a 'Page Is not redirecting properley' type message, but Downloaded OK on W10 (current Firefox).

EDIT: Both links at top of post #12.

Last edited by StainlessS; 15th September 2018 at 01:35.
Old 15th September 2018, 21:59   #16  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
There are much easier ways to run a script.
For example: "avsmeter script.avs -o".
D'oh! To my defense, I did try a few other options for running avs scripts (like AVS2AVI) but found that they weren't as reliable as VirtualDub. Back then I wanted to save the video too so I didn't investigate AVSMeter.

Luckily (or rather, by design ) it's very easy to use AVSMeter instead of VirtualDub, you only need to change the runavs.bat to something like this:

Code:
title %2
"D:\optimizer\bin\tools\AvsMeter\AvsMeter" %1 -o
exit
However, I ran into some problems when I tried it. Running the denoise.avs gave this error:

Code:
D:\optimizer\bin\tools\AvsMeter>avsmeter ../../../test/flower/denoise.avs -o

AVSMeter 2.8.5 (x86) - Copyright (c) 2012-2018, Groucho2004
AviSynth 2.60, build:Mar 31 2015 [16:38:54] (2.6.0.6)

Number of frames:                    5
Length (hh:mm:ss.ms):     00:00:00.200
Frame width:                       352
Frame height:                      288
Framerate:                      25.000 (25/1)
Colorspace:                       i420

Exception 0xC0000094 [STATUS_INTEGER_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO]
Module:   D:\optimizer\bin\tools\AvsMeter\AVSMeter.exe
Address:  0x00324CD3
Without the -o there was no exception but this report
Code:
Script runtime is too short for meaningful measurements
and the perFrameResults.txt was not generated.

I was able to make it work by adding more test frames to the script, it worked with TEST_FRAMES = 50.

Another issue is that AVSMeter takes quite a long time (several seconds) displaying "Query Avisynth info..." which then gets replaced with the AviSynth version information. Would it be possible to skip this part and start running the script right away? I didn't find a switch to suppress that.
Old 15th September 2018, 22:04   #17  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
JFYI, (anybodies info),
On WXP32 (last Firefox for XP32), I was getting a 'Page Is not redirecting properley' type message, but Downloaded OK on W10 (current Firefox).
Thanks for the report. I wasn't able to reproduce this but then again I'm using W10 too. Is anyone else having problems with the downloads? Would it help if I linked to the folder containing the files instead of linking directly to the files? The files are at Google Drive.

[EDIT] I replaced the download links, I probably used incorrect ones earlier.

Last edited by zorr; 15th September 2018 at 22:16. Reason: Info about download links
Old 16th September 2018, 02:49   #18  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
However, I ran into some problems when I tried it.
Try "avsr" instead.
Old 16th September 2018, 20:51   #19  |  Link
zorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Try "avsr" instead.
That's perfect, thank you!

I decided to run some benchmarks which one is faster and also do some tests with the poll frequency. Apparently avsr is starting up faster than VirtualDub.

When running a validation on the first pareto front of denoise.avs (2000 iterations) it's finished with VirtualDub in 54.1 seconds but with avsr it's 0.6 seconds faster (measured average of 5 runs). If I change the poll frequency from 100ms to 50ms the difference is even larger, about 1.8 seconds. I tried intervals 25ms and 10ms too, there's still improvement but probably not enough to justify the cost. I decided to change the poll frequency to 50ms. With that change and using avsr the validation runs about 5% faster.

Do you mind if I add avsr to the AvisynthOptimizer package and use it as the default script runner? I will of course document that this is software made by you.

It would be nice if I could determine automatically which Avisynth platform (x86 or x64) the user is running, then I could skip one manual step of the installation.

Last edited by zorr; 16th September 2018 at 21:03. Reason: Added percentage of speedup
Old 16th September 2018, 21:46   #20  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Apparently avsr is starting up faster than VirtualDub.
VDub has a much bigger overhead so that's to be expected.

Quote:
Do you mind if I add avsr to the AvisynthOptimizer package and use it as the default script runner?
No, I don't mind.

Quote:
It would be nice if I could determine automatically which Avisynth platform (x86 or x64) the user is running, then I could skip one manual step of the installation.
Where do you want to determine this? In the batch file? In your software?