Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 8th December 2019, 18:29   #3281  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
ok will take a look, its deffo more noticeable on the tv.
Not on my TV I guess...
I still watch my movies on my oldfashioned CRT TV which doesn't know how to spell "High Definition", but which has very natural colors no LCD TV I have seen so far could match.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 20:21   #3282  |  Link
Mike-uk

have you tried OLED tv ??
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 20:57   #3283  |  Link
manolito

No I haven't. But I am a big believer in sustainability, and I do not believe in replacing stuff which still works perfectly by the latest and greatest new toys.
Old 9th December 2019, 20:58   #3284  |  Link
dr_ml422

I'm getting way better results lately after taking manolito's suggestion and using FFmpeg to encode my audio. There's definitely something better going on when you use FFmpeg instead of the Aften encoder. My DVDs aren't darker anymore where they were using the Aften encoder. I know it's kind of weird being it's an audio setting, though the results definitely tell another story. I also set my output to DVD-9 to get the best possible picture without further compression. Also AVStoDVD always has DVD Menu functionality on the PC which ConvertXToDVD as of now doesn't. I'm staying with AVStoDVD right now. So if you haven't already tried using the FFmpeg for Audio together with the recommended Video settings go ahead and give it a try.
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 22:47   #3285  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ml422 View Post
I'm getting way better results lately after taking manolito's suggestion and using FFmpeg to encode my audio. There's definitely something better going on when you use FFmpeg instead of the Aften encoder. My DVDs aren't darker anymore where they were using the Aften encoder. I know it's kind of weird being it's an audio setting, though the results definitely tell another story.
This really puzzles me...
Using FFmpeg instead of Aften for audio encoding should not affect the video conversion at all. There must be something else going on.

The only way to find out would be to make 2 different conversions of a short clip, using your previous settings with Aften first and then using your new settings with using FFmpeg for the audio conversion. Save both log files and post them here.
Old 9th December 2019, 23:05   #3286  |  Link
Mike-uk

edit title and add trim to avisynth script and do like 3000 frames to make short clips
Old 12th December 2019, 01:12   #3287  |  Link
dr_ml422

Yes it's puzzling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
This really puzzles me...
Using FFmpeg instead of Aften for audio encoding should not affect the video conversion at all. There must be something else going on.

The only way to find out would be to make 2 different conversions of a short clip, using your previous settings with Aften first and then using your new settings with using FFmpeg for the audio conversion. Save both log files and post them here.
After going to DVDVOB2Mpg's site and reading his explanation of how the DVD structure, mainly VTS Folders and their Vob files contain all sorts of data, and how this can easily get corrupt, I believe it. Especially after clearly seeing the results I'm getting with FFmpeg and DVD-9. The exact file when converted to .iso which should preserve everything, won't have Menu functionality and even not play sometimes. Sometimes fast forwarding it will bring up the main video, sometimes not. Now that same .iso when I convert back to a DVD VTS Folder using either DVD-RB Pro or Shrink, will not only play, it will have menu functionality and the timing also would come back, as with the .iso it was off as well. Kept posting a 37... minute for Full Video.

Better yet you run a video or short clip using Aften as Audio and then FFmpeg with the same Video settings which would be DVD-9 output, DVD Title same as Disc Label, and run the menu preview, then the Avisynth Frame Serving Check.

You'll see how crisp that resulting DVD will be with the FFmpeg Audio settings. I'm now having to go through my whole .iso collection and running them through DVD-RB Pro or Shrink to have a workable VTS folder. Also reason for the VTS folder is when burning and wanting to add it's high-def counterpart, it will burn as data only with the .iso. With the VTS folder I will get both my DVD and it's mp4 or mkv counterpart on the same disc size permitting, and when I play that DVD I will get playback from the VTS folder. Not with the exact .iso on that same disc as it'll not be burned as DVD video but data. Now on the PC that .iso will play from the disc, but only AVStoDVD will make the .iso alone functionable with menu. Using a disc with the PC is ok but kinda defeats the purpose of converting etc...
Old 17th December 2019, 14:17   #3288  |  Link
Mike-uk

hmm odd I tried to do some comparisons myself, but I cant get avs2dvd to work with wavi+aften or ffmpeg+aften as it either says unsupported number of channels, or if I choose an ac3 stream it just freezes HCEnc ? so I can only use ffmpeg

Last edited by Mike-uk; 17th December 2019 at 14:45.
Old 17th December 2019, 15:29   #3289  |  Link
manolito

Really odd...

Can you post your log file?

//EDIT//
Just guessing, but could it be that you updated MediaInfo.DLL in the A2D\Lib folder with a newer version? If so then please go back to an older version. The last working version is v. 18.05.

The reason for my guess is that you are getting an "Unsupported number of channels" message. A2D gets all the source info from MediaInfo, and versions after 18.05 use a different output format so software like AVStoDVD will get wrong source properties.

Last edited by manolito; 17th December 2019 at 17:09.
Old 18th December 2019, 12:56   #3290  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Really odd...

Can you post your log file?

//EDIT//
Just guessing, but could it be that you updated MediaInfo.DLL in the A2D\Lib folder with a newer version? If so then please go back to an older version. The last working version is v. 18.05.

The reason for my guess is that you are getting an "Unsupported number of channels" message. A2D gets all the source info from MediaInfo, and versions after 18.05 use a different output format so software like AVStoDVD will get wrong source properties.
nope going back to 18.05 hasn't sorted it

Found PCM audio: 8 channels, 48000 Hz, 32 bits, 80.040000 seconds.
Audio track contains floating-point samples.
Writing WAV file...
input format: Microsoft WAVE Floating-point 32-bit little-endian 48000 Hz multi-channel
Unsupported # of channels passed to aften_wav_chmask_to_acmod
mismatch in channels, acmod, and lfe params
Error: Could not write to the standard output.

not a problem for me as I use ffmpeg anyway

it seems any file with 8 channels/6 channels is not liked, just tried a file with 2 channels and its fine

Last edited by Mike-uk; 18th December 2019 at 13:15.
Old 18th December 2019, 13:32   #3291  |  Link
Mike-uk

https://ibb.co/wLPH6Ck

just done a comparision with all 3 audio encoders and I don't see a difference ??

surely audio cant effect image as video encoding is done first ??
Old 18th December 2019, 20:03   #3292  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
just done a comparision with all 3 audio encoders and I don't see a difference ??

surely audio cant effect image as video encoding is done first ??
Yes, the selected audio conversion method cannot have any effect on the video quality, the A2D workflow does not allow this. Unless something else is going on, but as long as dr_ml422 does not post his log files there is no way to analyze the problem.
Old 18th December 2019, 20:41   #3293  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Found PCM audio: 8 channels, 48000 Hz, 32 bits, 80.040000 seconds.

it seems any file with 8 channels/6 channels is not liked, just tried a file with 2 channels and its fine
Since the DVD specs do not allow for more than 6 audio channels, A2D always automatically downmixes 8-ch source audio to 6-ch. Which obviously does not work for your source audio.

I spent some time testing clips with different 8-ch audio formats this afternoon, and the result was that A2D is not well suited for 8-ch audio sources.

I used clips from here for my tests:
https://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/

One problem is that there are many different 7.1 audio formats, and depending on the format MediaInfo spits out very different results. Which oftentimes leads to A2D making wrong downmix decisions.

One example is 8-ch EAC3 audio. This format is always detected as 6-ch, I have no idea how the other 2 channels are embedded in the format, but since LAV audio sees it as 6-ch there is no other way than treating it as 6-ch for the conversion.

For other formats MediaInfo reports 8-ch/6-ch audio, and A2D will probably pick the wrong format. Other 8-ch formats like DTS or Dolby Atmos may even cause A2D to detect 0 audio channels. So currently if you have 8-ch source audio you will need to apply some manual workarounds to convert such audio correctly.

The only way to reliably detect the number of audio channels is to check how many channels your audio source filter recognizes. For LAV audio there is a "Status" tab in the configuration window. Play the file in a DirectShow based player and open the LAV audio configuration to get the real number of channels.

Then in A2D right-click on the source title and click "Edit Source Title Info". Under "Audio Channels" enter the correct number of channels.

If you have 8 audio channels then make sure that your AVS script has the command "Audio = Audio.Dmix86()" in it. This will execute a function from "Downmix.avsi" which is located in your "AVStoDVD\Lib" folder.

So my conclusion is that right now there is no automatic way to treat 8-ch audio sources correctly. It would be a major undertaking to detect all possible 8-ch formats reliably, and I have my doubts if MrC has the time to do this in the near future. He has not posted here for almost 6 months, I sure hope that he is doing well...

BTW you may be interested in using an improved version of the "Downmix.avsi" script. Have a look here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...17#post1882617

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 18th December 2019 at 20:48.
Old 19th December 2019, 00:51   #3294  |  Link
Mike-uk

cheers manolito for the info, yes most of my sources get detected as 0 channel and encode in 2 channel, but manualy setting the channels now allows me to encode in 5.1
Old 22nd December 2019, 02:33   #3295  |  Link
manolito

Another year is almost over...

Time to wish everyone on this forum, and especially those who still do DVD conversions, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

Very special greetings to MrC, the author of this wonderful software. He has not posted here for some time, so I hope that he is doing well. All my best wishes for him and his family...

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 22nd December 2019 at 03:02.
Old 24th December 2019, 12:03   #3296  |  Link
Mike-uk

Quote:
Another year is almost over...

Time to wish everyone on this forum, and especially those who still do DVD conversions, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

Very special greetings to MrC, the author of this wonderful software. He has not posted here for some time, so I hope that he is doing well. All my best wishes for him and his family...

Cheers
manolito
Yes Merry Christmas all

yes thanks to MrC for this wonderfull program

Hopefully MrC has been locked away in his room 24/7 making avs2whatever-you-want for us

but I know this prob isn't true im sure he has life to deal with first

and thanks to manolito for your outstanding tech support

Last edited by Mike-uk; 24th December 2019 at 12:33.
Old 5th January 2020, 05:27   #3297  |  Link
dr_ml422

Happy New Year to all! Ok I'll run two tests with each and compare the two. Do I have to uncheck delete AVSToDVD Log Files in the main window, or are these different files? I always see some files after conversion. Remember I was having issues with FFMpeg and Aften so lets see if it takes with these tests. You have to do a whole movie. A short clip will not be enough to see any solid differences. It could just be the update since I was comparing to some older conversions before Mr, C came back with an update.
Old 5th January 2020, 07:12   #3298  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ml422 View Post
Do I have to uncheck delete AVSToDVD Log Files in the main window, or are these different files? I always see some files after conversion.
No, there is no need to uncheck this option. The AVStoDVD log file will always stay in the output folder after every conversion, and this is the file we need to analyze.
Old 5th January 2020, 08:17   #3299  |  Link
dr_ml422

Here you go.

Just like I said. Here goes two logs. Angel Has Fallen is with Aften/FFMpeg, and Olympus Has Fallen is with FFMpeg/AviSynth.

https://filebin.net/5mqvdamyolbg0fc0...log?t=ue5gq302

https://filebin.net/5mqvdamyolbg0fc0...log?t=ue5gq302

If I were to somehow share the video you'll see that Angel Has Fallen has darker more greenish color. It could possibly be a leak from the Menu as I used the Greenish Menu with the DVD Disc in the Background.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 5th January 2020 at 08:23. Reason: Xtra info.
Old 6th January 2020, 01:18   #3300  |  Link
Mike-uk

? that's 2 different movies, you ned to compare with the same movie and same time frame