Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 8th September 2009, 16:57   #5061  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
@jdobbs;
XP Pro SP3, 32 bit
ffdshow - (rev 3026) (2009-07-05)
Haali Matroska Muxer - (2009-01-10)
x264 is what is included with BD-RB v2902.

This was the first time I experienced this issue. Movie Braveheart, Region A. Only happened on the main .m2ts, 00006.m2ts, which is 42.8 GB. All the smaller files worked properly.
Since I can't make it happen even when I try, pretty much all the "fixes" have been stabs in the dark. I say "maybe if their system is doing X it might cause Y... so I'll see if I can prevent Y"... The way I'm doing it now should work. I call the O/S using EnumWindows() and pass it a callback routine. The callback should get called for every top-level window. I retrieve and compare the process id (PID) of the window to the process id of X264 (from when I created the process). Since there are more than one window associated with it -- I look for the caption showing that it is processing ("x264 [") -- if that matches I know I have the right window.

The last version kept looking for 10 seconds (which in computer time is a long time), I just changed it to look for 60 seconds in v0.29.03.

If this doesn't work it implies that the X264 you see running in the task manager doesn't have a window associated with it or that the caption isn't being updated with the status information... and that's just inconceivable (especially since it always works on my computer).

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th September 2009 at 17:03.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 18:00   #5062  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I call the O/S using EnumWindows() and pass it a callback routine. The callback should get called for every top-level window. I retrieve and compare the process id (PID) of the window to the process id of X264 (from when I created the process). Since there are more than one window associated with it -- I look for the caption showing that it is processing ("x264 [") -- if that matches I know I have the right window.

The last version kept looking for 10 seconds (which in computer time is a long time), I just changed it to look for 60 seconds in v0.29.03.

If this doesn't work it implies that the X264 you see running in the task manager doesn't have a window associated with it or that the caption isn't being updated with the status information... and that's just inconceivable (especially since it always works on my computer).
I sniffed a bit around with Spy++ while x264 was running. x264 creates it's main window (which has the window class "ConsoleWindowClass") and sometimes a tooltip window (same caption but with the class name "tooltips_class32"). The tooltip window only gets created when the main window is not hidden and the mouse hovers over the taskbar icon.

Basically, all this seems to be normal behaviour and I can't see anything wrong the way you coded the window capture.

I'm curious about the percentage of users who experience this problem and as you mentioned, maybe there is something common among those.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 18:16   #5063  |  Link
allright

Quote:
Are you all using:

Windows XP 64?
Some 64 bit O/S (as opposed to 32 bit)?
What version of FFDSHOW? (don't say "latest")
What version of HAALI?
Are you using the version of X264 included with BD-RB?
I'm using:

Vista Ultimate 64 bit
FFDSHOW v 2661
HAALI 1.9.42.1
Using the X264 included with BD-RB.

JJ
allright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 18:18   #5064  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
I sniffed a bit around with Spy++ while x264 was running. x264 creates it's main window (which has the window class "ConsoleWindowClass") and sometimes a tooltip window (same caption but with the class name "tooltips_class32"). The tooltip window only gets created when the main window is not hidden and the mouse hovers over the taskbar icon.

Basically, all this seems to be normal behaviour and I can't see anything wrong the way you coded the window capture.

I'm curious about the percentage of users who experience this problem and as you mentioned, maybe there is something common among those.
When I scan for the PID there are two other windows that have the same process ID. One of them has a caption that says "ActiveMovie Window" --the other says "xTrayIconWnd". I'm guessing these are associated with AVISYNTH's frame serving to X264 and FFDSHOW.

[Edit] Maybe I'll look for the "ConsoleWindowClass" as opposed to the caption. That way at least I'd have the correct window and wouldn't have to worry about timeouts...

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th September 2009 at 18:54.
Old 8th September 2009, 18:56   #5065  |  Link
samtroy

jdobbs, may I ask for your personal recommendations for BD Rebuilder regarding the used decoders for H.264 and VC-1?

Would you prefer WMP9 or libavcodec for VC-1?

And what about H.264 sources? Is libavcodec always safe to use there too, also qualitywise?

I'm sure a lot of people are unsure about this.
samtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 19:53   #5066  |  Link
jdobbs

I personally use libavcodec for AVC and MPEG-2 and WMV11 for VC-1 (install Windows Media Player 11 and then set VC-1 to "disabled" in FFDSHOW). If using Windows 7 (which I am not) there are a couple of other hoops to jump through for VC-1 -- do a seach of this thread for details.

Last edited by jdobbs; 8th September 2009 at 19:56.
Old 8th September 2009, 20:23   #5067  |  Link
PurpleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMan View Post
Just finished doing Batman Begins again (full backup BD25).

Unfortunately, result has major PiP issues.
The problem is two-fold:

1. When you turn on the "in-movie experience" (pip), the secondary video appears even when it's not supposed to (which means I see a black frame in the pip, because there's no video there).

2. Even in parts that it IS supposed to be showing, it seems slight unsynced with when the video frame jumps from one side of the screen to another. I mean, PiP is in lower-right corner and we have this guy talking there. then the frame moves to the lower-left corner and you see the guy there for half a second, then it switches to another scene, as if that half of second was intended for BEFORE the frame moved from one side to the other. (I confirmed this on the original disc, in which it is indeed in sync with the frame-move).

I don't have a standalone player, but both these issues presented themselves in PowerDVD7, PowerDVD9 and TotalMedia Theatre 3. All of which play the original disc correctly with no problem.
Just finished backing it up yet again and the problem recreated itself.
Don't know why I thought it would magically work now. Also, don't know why I've set it to 2-pass now. Oh well.
PurpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 21:10   #5068  |  Link
Furiousflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratar View Post
Today I used BD REBUILDER v0.29.02 to rip german blu-ray of 'The Reader'. I used KEEP_INTERLACING=1 because there are a lot of SD-quality (MPEG-2) interlaced filmed material on the disc, my hardware equipment does a better deinterlacing job than avisynth/decomb.dll does so I would prefer to keep interlaced material 'as is'. However, I noticed when using KEEP_INTERLACING=1, the field order (tff/bff) of the reencoded material is wrong, which results in strange motion jerkyness because the wrong two half pictures are assumed to be a full frame. Not sure if that's always the case when using KEEP_INTERLACING.
Seems to be...not sure what the problem is there jdobbs? surely just an incorrect switch being used?
Furiousflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 22:21   #5069  |  Link
tekmobile
Webmaster

Quote:

I've increased the timeout period to 60 seconds (from 10) before BD-RB decides the the GUI issue exists.... hoping that on a very busy system, the issue is caused by delays in actual start of the encode process.
The only time I see this issue is when im copying files when the encode starts I have SHOW_ENCODER on and the error always happens before the x264 windows actually appears
tekmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 22:27   #5070  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
When I scan for the PID there are two other windows that have the same process ID. One of them has a caption that says "ActiveMovie Window" --the other says "xTrayIconWnd". I'm guessing these are associated with AVISYNTH's frame serving to X264 and FFDSHOW.

[Edit] Maybe I'll look for the "ConsoleWindowClass" as opposed to the caption. That way at least I'd have the correct window and wouldn't have to worry about timeouts...
Here is a screen shot from Spy++ while x264 is running:
http://www.iol.ie/~schubert/Image1.png

I think the "ActiveMovie Window" is the Mediasplitter tray icon and the "ffdshow_tray_737" is the ffdshow tray icon. No idea what "xTrayIconWnd" is.

All this info still doesn't explain why the code fails in some situations...

The best way to debug this would be for the people who have problems to run Spy++ and post a screen shot or log. Spy++ comes with the full version of Visual Studio but I think it's also a freely available sample that anyone could compile and distribute. I'll check if I can make this available somehow.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:31   #5071  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmobile View Post
The only time I see this issue is when im copying files when the encode starts I have SHOW_ENCODER on and the error always happens before the x264 windows actually appears
@jdobbs:
Could it be that you are checking for the existance of the x264 window before it is actually created?
Old 8th September 2009, 23:06   #5072  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Since I can't make it happen even when I try, pretty much all the "fixes" have been stabs in the dark. I say "maybe if their system is doing X it might cause Y... so I'll see if I can prevent Y"... The way I'm doing it now should work. I call the O/S using EnumWindows() and pass it a callback routine. The callback should get called for every top-level window. I retrieve and compare the process id (PID) of the window to the process id of X264 (from when I created the process). Since there are more than one window associated with it -- I look for the caption showing that it is processing ("x264 [") -- if that matches I know I have the right window.

This appears to have fixed the problem for me. I am 92% complete into pass 2 of Braveheart and no more "GUI issue, no hWnd returned"
For me, this "GUI issue, no hWnd returned" happened only one time and with v0.29.02, on Braveheart, and on the 2nd pass of a full movie backup to BD-25.
So the changes to BD-RBV02903 has corrected the issue for me.( with ETA 0:32:00 to go)

EDIT:
Completed Successfully!! I hope for all this corrects this annoyance.

Last edited by Capsbackup; 9th September 2009 at 00:05.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 23:14   #5073  |  Link
Race Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratar View Post
Today I used BD REBUILDER v0.29.02 to rip german blu-ray of 'The Reader'. I used KEEP_INTERLACING=1 because there are a lot of SD-quality (MPEG-2) interlaced filmed material on the disc, my hardware equipment does a better deinterlacing job than avisynth/decomb.dll does so I would prefer to keep interlaced material 'as is'. However, I noticed when using KEEP_INTERLACING=1, the field order (tff/bff) of the reencoded material is wrong, which results in strange motion jerkyness because the wrong two half pictures are assumed to be a full frame. Not sure if that's always the case when using KEEP_INTERLACING.
I'll BET this is the issue on my Abbey Road rebuild:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...65#post1321265

Come to think of it, I NEVER see "jerkiness" on 1080p/24, but depending on the content's "on screen motion", MANY of the 1080i sources I rebuilt can look jerky at times. The Abbey Road was absolutely HORRIBLE though!
Race Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 01:30   #5074  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
@jdobbs:
Could it be that you are checking for the existance of the x264 window before it is actually created?
Not really, because in the latest version I continue to check for it for a full 60 seconds...
Old 9th September 2009, 01:34   #5075  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Guy View Post
I'll BET this is the issue on my Abbey Road rebuild:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...65#post1321265

Come to think of it, I NEVER see "jerkiness" on 1080p/24, but depending on the content's "on screen motion", MANY of the 1080i sources I rebuilt can look jerky at times. The Abbey Road was absolutely HORRIBLE though!
It sounds more like a field order issue than the link you posted. I'm not really sure how to adjust field order in X264, I'll have to go back and review the documentation. I'd suggest in the meantime that you leave BD-RB at the default setting and let it do deinterlacing.
Old 9th September 2009, 02:02   #5076  |  Link
stackner

i have used bdrebuilder a few times now making bd25's all have worked well. however i have tried the original stargate movie to bd25 but it is compressing to 6gbs total. the movie stream is compressing to 2.5gb. im choosing bd25 so why is the final product coming out at 6gb? ive tried many different settings even. have not had this happen with any other movie and ive used all bd versions from 0.25.03 0.29.02

i tried both the latest versions 0.29.01 and 0.29.02 on the disc with same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@stackner

Hi!

1) What region is your original, commercial BluRay disc?

2) What software and procedures did you use to eliminate/overcome the copy protection of the original disc?
it is commercial dvd (stargate) australian pal movie,
i used anydvd hd as always to rip.

same steps as all other movies that have worked. even re-ripped the disc twice. still full disc backup to bd25 is turning out 6gb.
stackner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 02:22   #5077  |  Link
stax76

I wonder why you work with handles and don't use the CreateProcess with CREATE_NO_WINDOW flag redirecting the console output. With VB.NET it's like 5 lines code to create a console process without window and redirect it's output.

I also wonder why you never migrated to .NET, every second year a new VB.NET and .NET Framework version adds tons of cool new features making programming easier.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 02:52   #5078  |  Link
cybercurves

I also got this when running 29.02 -

- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
[04:38:58] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [04:38:58] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
- [04:51:02] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
- [04:51:13] GUI issue, no hWnd returned.
- [04:51:13] GUI issue, no hWnd returned......

I reverted back to 29.01 and it was fine.

I'm currently using 29.03 now and it appears to be back to normal.

cybercurves
cybercurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 03:00   #5079  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackner View Post
i have used bdrebuilder a few times now making bd25's all have worked well. however i have tried the original stargate movie to bd25 but it is compressing to 6gbs total. the movie stream is compressing to 2.5gb. im choosing bd25 so why is the final product coming out at 6gb? ive tried many different settings even. have not had this happen with any other movie and ive used all bd versions from 0.25.03 0.29.02

i tried both the latest versions 0.29.01 and 0.29.02 on the disc with same problem

it is commercial dvd (stargate) australian pal movie,
i used anydvd hd as always to rip.

same steps as all other movies that have worked. even re-ripped the disc twice. still full disc backup to bd25 is turning out 6gb.
It would be helpful if you could provide more info.. what OS are you using, BD-RB log and ini file, what settings.. 1 pass crf, hi speed, etc.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 03:09   #5080  |  Link
setarip_old

@stackner
Quote:
it is commercial dvd (stargate) australian pal movie
If this is not a typo, you should be aware that BD Rebuilder only processes BluRay discs - and not DVDs, or anything else...

Perhaps you should try "DVD Rebuilder"...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote