Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 18th April 2020, 13:14   #1881  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Why x264 binaries are different in size than the ones on Videolan?
Videolan.org builds do not have FFMS enabled. Also, apparently, a different (older) version of GCC was used.
Old 18th April 2020, 14:23   #1882  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Simple x264/x265 Launcher v2.96
NVEncC 5.00 out now
Old 18th April 2020, 15:37   #1883  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
NVEncC 5.00 out now
Try here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mul...8.exe/download
Old 18th April 2020, 16:07   #1884  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Try here

Did you included the new switches in the GUI?
Old 18th April 2020, 16:20   #1885  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:

Did you included the new switches in the GUI?
The GUI generally does not handle any switches for you, except for the basic rate-control options and the Preset/Tuning/Profile selection.

Anything else you will have to add to the "Custom Encoder Parameters" field, if it should be required.
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:32   #1886  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I am trying to install x264_launcher.2020-04-17.zip (from here) but I can't. BitDefender detects curl.exe as a virus and blocks it, and since the temp directory created by 7-zip when I try to extract the file from the archive is always different, I can't exclude it from the scan.

Tried also the installer, with the same result.

I have managed to send curl.exe to VirusTotal, and indeed, it is considered as a virus by 13 antivirus engines: see here.

13/73 is a really bad score. Perhaps you should consider to remove, change or update that exe file ? Anyway, currently, a lot of peoples will be unable to install your program, and it's a pity.

Also, your program verifies the exe it needs, and refuse to work when curl.exe is not present or blocked, so currently, I can't use it.

[EDIT] I have restored the previous version of the launcher from a backup, and the curl.exe file in that release is not detected as a virus (only 1 engine detects it as suspicious). Also, its size is very different: 337 KB instead of 1154 KB. So, I guess that curl.exe in your latest release is really infected. Take care !

Last edited by r0lZ; 2nd May 2020 at 09:49.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:08   #1887  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
BitDefender detects curl.exe as a virus and blocks it
Uninstall any AV you have and use Windows 10 one. It’s one of the best, if not the best indeed.
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:30   #1888  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

I confirm that Windows Defender finds no issues with curl.exe.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:43   #1889  |  Link
Sharc

It complains about Groucho's Avisynth Info Tool v1.1.0 instead……...
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2020, 08:55   #1890  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Uninstall any AV you have and use Windows 10 one. It’s one of the best, if not the best indeed.
It's not because a specific antivirus doesn't detect it that it is not a virus. Also, M$ is well known for the bad quality of its antivirus programs, and although the latest engine might be better, it is not recommended by most comparative charts. As you can see here, BitDefender is still the best AV, far ahead of Windows Defender. I will certainly not uninstall the excellent BitDefender and trust M$ instead ! I would instead recommend exactly the opposite.

Anyway, I can only repeat that 13/73 is not an acceptable VirusTotal score, and the difference with the previous version means that something is obviously wrong. Even if, out of the blue, the bad score is caused by an unlikely series of false positives, many users will not be able to use the launcher while that file is present. IMO, that means that something must be done to fix the problem.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd May 2020 at 09:00.
Old 6th May 2020, 17:02   #1891  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Anyway, I can only repeat that 13/73 is not an acceptable VirusTotal score, and the difference with the previous version means that something is obviously wrong. Even if, out of the blue, the bad score is caused by an unlikely series of false positives, many users will not be able to use the launcher while that file is present.
Yup, 13 out of 73 anti-virus programs causing false positives definitely is not acceptable. But this fits the picture. The “quality” of anti-virus software is one sad story.

Just in case anybody missed it, researchers just recently found a serious vulnerability affecting (almost) every anti-virus software on the marked and turning them into self-destructive tools:
https://www.rack911labs.com/research...irus-software/

Quote:
IMO, that means that something must be done to fix the problem.
Definitely! And that "something" is that people and enterprises really need to stop giving any money to anti-virus companies for as long as they keep on delivering the crapware that they have been selling for decades now. If and only if the anti-virus companies' choice is to either get their stuff fixed or to go bankrupt, then something might change. But, for as long as people keep on complaining about anti-virus-related problems to the innocent software developers – who can do exactly nothing about the cause of the problem, and who hopefully don't waste their time on trying to workaround the symptoms – rather than demanding the required fixes from the anti-virus companies, certainly nothing is going to change...

Quote:
I have restored the previous version of the launcher from a backup, and the curl.exe file in that release is not detected as a virus (only 1 engine detects it as suspicious). Also, its size is very different: 337 KB instead of 1154 KB. So, I guess that curl.exe in your latest release is really infected. Take care!
cURL has been updated to the latest version. The binary shipped with Simple x264 Launcher is the one provided on the "official" cURL web-site.

Note that, depending on which compiler is used to build cURL, depending on which of the optional dependencies are enabled, and depending on whether dependencies are linked statically or as DLL, the size of the binary may change quite a lot.

(I think older Windows binaries of cURL were linked against Windows' Schannel DLL for SSL/TLS, while the newer ones are statically linked against OpenSSL; probably to enable TLS 1.3 independently of the Windows version)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th May 2020 at 17:57.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 17:09   #1892  |  Link
jlw_4049

Just use windows defender. Works perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 17:33   #1893  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
BitDefender is still the best AV
As if we don't have enough shills for BitDefender.
Old 6th May 2020, 17:47   #1894  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw_4049 View Post
Just use windows defender. Works perfectly.
"Perfectly" is an exaggeration, IMO, but it is definitely one of the less annoying ones.

The reason is obvious: Microsoft is providing Defender as a "free" (yes, provided you have a Windows license) component. So their interest is not in selling Defender licenses, but in keeping Defender-related support cases at a minimum. Hence, the usual scare tactics (i.e. ensure that there will be alerts about alleged "dangerous" files at regular intervals), which are used by other a/v companies to get their customers into renewing the payed subscription, aren't relevant here.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th May 2020 at 17:52.
Old 6th May 2020, 18:06   #1895  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
"Perfectly" is an exaggeration, IMO, but it is definitely one of the less annoying ones.

The reason is obvious: Microsoft is providing Defender as a "free" (yes, provided you have a Windows license) component. So their interest is not in selling Defender licenses, but in keeping Defender-related support cases at a minimum. Hence, the usual scare tactics (i.e. ensure that there will be alerts about alleged "dangerous" files at regular intervals), which are used by other a/v companies to get their customers into renewing the payed subscription, aren't relevant here.
Yes I agree. I've never had any issues with it, as opposed to other virus software programs actually causing me issues and hours and hours of my time trouble shooting something that the virus software was causing the entire time.
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 18:39   #1896  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyWu View Post
The false positive is probably caused by UPX packing.
Please don't mix up symptom and cause.

If the same EXE file, of which we know it's 100% clean, gets classified as "malware" just because it was packed by UPX, then that is a symptom of a serious bug in the a/v software.

The cause is a bug in the a/v software, not that the file was packed by UPX.

Regardless of the "pros" and "cons" of EXE packing that could be discussed, the use of EXE packers – especially the very popular UPX – per se is perfectly legitimate and therefore must not be blocked by a/v software under any circumstances!

Being able to deal with EXE packes and analyze the actual (uncompressed) code has been a standard feature of a/v software for decades now. If they haven't been able to get this working properly by now, time to find another job...

Quote:
That's one of the reason I am never a fan of UPX.
Unfortunately, it is exactly this kind of subservient behavior, i.e. changing your perfectly legitimate behavior in order to workaround bugs in A/V software, which makes these people think they can get away with it.

Not going to happen for me

Quote:
The curl in x264_launcher.2020-04-17.zip gets a 4/72 score now on VirusTotal; on the other hand, the official curl binary gets a 0/71 score.
Quite possible that tomorrow, after the anti-virus "gods" have rolled their dice again (aka "the next signature update"), these numbers will be the other way around

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th May 2020 at 19:03.
Old 6th May 2020, 18:40   #1897  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
The false positive is probably caused by UPX packing. That's one of the reason I am never a fan of UPX. The curl in x264_launcher.2020-04-17.zip gets a 4/72 score now on VirusTotal; on the other hand, the official curl binary gets a 0/71 score.
Seems like Simple Launcher (great app) should use the official binary. What did I miss?
Old 7th May 2020, 10:10   #1898  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Of course. An antivirus that doesn't detect "true positive" virus is less annoying than a good antivirus that detects all virus. And if the BitDefender antivirus is the best according to AV Comparatives, it's of course because it doesn't omit some virus, but also because it has almost almost no false positives. So, IMO, it should be trusted.

Quote:
The reason is obvious: Microsoft is providing Defender as a "free" (yes, provided you have a Windows license) component. So their interest is not in selling Defender licenses, but in keeping Defender-related support cases at a minimum.
And therefore probably its ease in letting important viruses through.

I remember that in the past M$ explicitly requested to install a third party antivirus, and explained that Defender is only a small barrier active during the installation of Windows, and that it was essential to replace it with a real, powerful antivirus. I can admit that since XP, Defender has made progress, but the fact is that it remains one of the worst.

Also, a VA provider cannot afford to have a too bad score, or too many false positives, because its reputation depends on it, which also leaves it with little chance of selling its solutions. So, sorry, but I don't think they detect false positives on purpose.

Anyway, I use BitDefender FREE Edition. I can agree that they may try to sell their paid software by scaring you, but it is certainly one of the most silent AV I know, unlike other free AV like Avast for example. So, IMO, the commercial argument is not really convincing.

Anyway, the fact remains that many users will be scared by the AV warning, and will uninstall your program immediately. It's a pity, especially if it is sufficient to install a good version of curl.exe, that doesn't trigger so many false (or true) positives.

Quote:
The curl in x264_launcher.2020-04-17.zip gets a 4/72 score now on VirusTotal; on the other hand, the official curl binary gets a 0/71 score.
Another evidence that something is wrong. It is always possible that a programmer has built that version on an infected computer. Precautions are essential, as with corona!

For my part, I have only pointed out the problem to enable you to act in the best possible way. I don't want to interfere any more, but for my part, I have replaced the questionable version with a good one. I can no longer ask to check for updates from the program (why?) but at least I can encode again.
Old 7th May 2020, 15:10   #1899  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Of course.
Omitting my considerations about necessity and dangers of 3rd party AV, I can only suggest you

THIS
Old 7th May 2020, 15:33   #1900  |  Link
stax76

I use curl in the updater function of mpv.net and MediaInfo.NET, in Windows 10 curl is included, in Windows 7 my feature is broken and I don't care, I'm not really spending extra time only for Windows 7 users, who wants the update feature has to install powershell 5.1 and curl.

Last edited by stax76; 7th May 2020 at 15:37.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote