Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 23rd April 2010, 21:57   #7901  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Marques View Post
You are absolutely right, I'm very sorry but I've read the guide by milOtis (pag.4) where he says:"The versions below are considered the minimum versions, while any builds that came after the ones listed are also compatible."
My behaviour doesn't mean any inconsideration for you. I have THE MAXIMUM consideration for you because I think that your program is a PUBLIC SERVICE.

The VC1 video files are noe beeing PERFECTLY encoded.

Thank you very much again for your pacience for newbies like me.
Thank you for your understanding. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Hope you enjoy the program.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:00   #7902  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmih View Post
I have come across a similar bug to one I mentioned earlier. 'The Last Emperor', when encoded to bd-9 lost the audio. Although the original, and HDD rip played fine, the encoded one with Dolby Digital 64kbs wouldn't play and tsmuxer reported it as an unsupported file type. I got around it by encoding to bd-25 and keeping the audio. However, I have just had exactly the same with Clash of the Titans (the original one). That had an audio track of DTS-HD which became DD64kbps. Once again it won't play and tsmuxer says it's not supported.
It was probably originally encode at a 96Khz sample rate -- I've put a fix in for the next release that will downsample those to 48Khz.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:01   #7903  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttle99 View Post
jdobbs, I have backed up a couple movies only with 1pass 33.04 and it would take about 2 hours and now 33.05 1pass takes about 4.5 hours so I redid it with 33.04 and it took 2 hours and 20 min. Not sure what changed between versions but it was not good time wise.
There was a bug in 33.04 that caused BD-RB to sometimes select the wrong quality level when using "Automatic". The 4.5 hours is right. You can always manually select a faster (lower quality) level if you think it is good enough. But most of the posts I've seen seem to indicate that the Q needed a boost.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd April 2010 at 22:04.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:15   #7904  |  Link
Shuttle99

Ok though I realy could not tell a differance from the 2 hour from the 4.5 hour on a 50 inch panasonic plasma. But I do want the best with wasting time so 4.5 is ok then.
Shuttle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:25   #7905  |  Link
tandi

hi
@Zot
i've tried clipinf.exe to set header to 100 (AVCHD) and AVCHD patcher, still got same problem

@drmih
yeah, i'm doing in full backup

@jdobbs
yeah i can see BD files, bdmv, certificate, m2ts files etc
and have tried Arcsoft Total Media Platinum 3 and yes, it can play it

so seem like it's problem with powerdvd and my standalone bluray player not support java menus
like to ask, for your next ver , if it can help solved this java menus problem ?
tandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:31   #7906  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandi View Post
hi
@Zot
i've tried clipinf.exe to set header to 100 (AVCHD) and AVCHD patcher, still got same problem

@drmih
yeah, i'm doing in full backup

@jdobbs
yeah i can see BD files, bdmv, certificate, m2ts files etc
and have tried Arcsoft Total Media Platinum 3 and yes, it can play it

so seem like it's problem with powerdvd and my standalone bluray player not support java menus
like to ask, for your next ver , if it can help solved this java menus problem ?
There's nothing I can do. The problem is in the player, not BD Rebuilder. The only option for you would be to either replace the player (Sony BDP-S360 is a good choice) or do movie-only backups for discs that use java.
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:59   #7907  |  Link
tandi

ok, thanks for all your helps guys
and jdobbs, very appreciate for your hard works
tandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 01:54   #7908  |  Link
8ternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
@8ternity

Something is fishy in your post. I look at it and it is telling me that you completed that entire disc (23.8GB) in about 34 minutes. That's just not feasible.... it's also saying the biggest thing on the disc is only 57,084 frames (about 31 minutes).

I have to believe you're preprocessing the disc in some way -- either that or you're editing what is being posted. I don't accept bug reports on preprocessed sources. My experience is that 99% of the time the problem is caused in the preprocessing.

I also noticed that the bitrate is being shown on one of the encodes, but not on the others. Are you editing the log before you're posting it? How does the verbose reporting change midstream?

What gives?
The Original Movie is about (25*000*189*952 octets) i just convert it because it was a little too big for burning in the BD-R 25GB.

I dont really understand what you exlain me about the preprocessing, i am french, i have translate it and can't really catch what you exlpain to me about this. I will try to give you maximum of informations for this issue.

I have Decrypt with AnyDVD HD, oem license, copy *.* except the ANY! crypted files folder; into an Folder on my hard drive. I've modify the settings in BD REbuilder to keep all languages of audio and subtitles, also all bluray audio original....

I have open BD REbuilder, select the Movie Folder; create a empty one and start the project.

The log is integral, i give you all the log file. The only two things i've done:

- i have split the m2ts file movie (the one has been converted) to give you an sample. I have only take out languages to have the smalless file possible.

- i have select in settings to delete temporary converted files.

Thats the only one thing i've done.

About the 34 minutes, of conversion time, probably about the size "25GB to 23.xxx GB". But i have seen that quality conversion for bonus, fbi warnings, federales warnings are verry low quality that previous version of BD Rebuilder.

Let me know if you what than i test again with recommanded settings.

About the sample i give you, did what i make has helping you?

Question: What is the preprocessing? You mean about BD Rebuilder prepares and demux all files etc??

Thank for your help and your time according to me.

8ternity

Last edited by 8ternity; 24th April 2010 at 02:00.
8ternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 02:36   #7909  |  Link
jdobbs

You need to start over -- because the disc you are attempting to convert doesn't appear to be complete. I can also see that at the very least you are changing settings while the encode is going on (otherwise the bitrate would show for all streams as they are processing, not just the first. BD-RB doesn't change it's reporting halfway through the encode.

I will also say that with compression no larger than you are using, the output will be identical to the original. If you are getting distortion it would have to be in the CODEC that is presenting the video to X264 -- and if that's the case I would guess that you are not using FFDSHOW.

Looking at the input size, I also have to ask, why are you even reencoding? It looks like it will fit without it.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th April 2010 at 02:40.
Old 24th April 2010, 03:43   #7910  |  Link
8ternity

Regarding reeconding, you're right, it's fit on a BD-R 25GB.

About ffdshow, between every conversion, i need to uninstall and re-install version of ffdshow 3326 has recommand by you for the conversion. I always use FFDSHOW because i also convert with Ripbot264 some mkv movies and from my digital camera HD720P to fit on a BD5.

So i would say that i don't know why BD Rebuilder cant convert a movie without uninstall/reinstall ffdshow. I know it's ffdshow issue because i can't play m2ts files and ffdshow are not showen video and audio icons in the windows tray. it. I has using Rev. 3362 before reading your first post and it wont make me that issue.

Question: Can i install newer version of FFDSHOW with BD Rebuilder? or i need to keep 3326rev for support?

Thanks!!
Old 24th April 2010, 07:50   #7911  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ternity View Post
Question: Can i install newer version of FFDSHOW with BD Rebuilder? or i need to keep 3326rev for support?
From the first post in this thread:

... In order to make this beta version work, you have to first install some other packages. I recommend you use the versions linked below, as sometimes new version changes can cause unexpected issues. Here's what you need to do: ....

You are free to do what you want with your PC, but it has been said a trillion times by jdobbs in this thread that people should not complain if they run into issues when using other versions.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 08:38   #7912  |  Link
glood1

hi

i don' t understand difference beteween crf and abr option if my choice encoding option is very slow and my target is bd 25

by defaut is ?

if abr and crf not enable (it s possible) what it s occurs

what is the better option with my context
i want best quality picture

sorry for my english

thanks you

Last edited by glood1; 24th April 2010 at 08:42.
glood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 10:44   #7913  |  Link
samtroy

x264's --preset faster ?

Hi all, I have the following quality question:

I ususally do BD-25 one-pass CRF movie-only encodings. And since I'm too paranoid to use the 'High-Speed BD-25 option', I normally use the 'Better (Fast)' quality option. But a movie still takes up to 7 hours on my Core i5 with that. That's a lot. So I've tried the 'Good (Very Fast)' option which takes only 2 hours a movie. OK, good.

Then I did some reading and found out that BD Rebuilder's 'Better' option translates to x264's '--preset fast' preset. And BD Rebuilder's 'Good' setting translates to x264's '--preset veryfast' setting.

But x264 has one more preset in-between: '--preset faster'! I absolutely would like to try that. But it can't be chosen through BD Rebuilder. Is there a reason for that? Can I choose this preset without any problem using the ini-file? Will it make sense? Or will I break some BD standard or something?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I just tried this addition to the ini-file: TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--preset faster
but BD Rebuilder is not using it. It still uses --preset veryfast (corresponding to the 'Good' setting in BD Rebuilder). Why is it ignoring it? Do I have to tweak the first pass too for it to work?

Last edited by samtroy; 24th April 2010 at 12:36.
samtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 13:27   #7914  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtroy View Post
Hi all, I have the following quality question:

I ususally do BD-25 one-pass CRF movie-only encodings. And since I'm too paranoid to use the 'High-Speed BD-25 option', I normally use the 'Better (Fast)' quality option. But a movie still takes up to 7 hours on my Core i5 with that. That's a lot. So I've tried the 'Good (Very Fast)' option which takes only 2 hours a movie. OK, good.

Then I did some reading and found out that BD Rebuilder's 'Better' option translates to x264's '--preset fast' preset. And BD Rebuilder's 'Good' setting translates to x264's '--preset veryfast' setting.

But x264 has one more preset in-between: '--preset faster'! I absolutely would like to try that. But it can't be chosen through BD Rebuilder. Is there a reason for that? Can I choose this preset without any problem using the ini-file? Will it make sense? Or will I break some BD standard or something?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I just tried this addition to the ini-file: TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--preset faster
but BD Rebuilder is not using it. It still uses --preset veryfast (corresponding to the 'Good' setting in BD Rebuilder). Why is it ignoring it? Do I have to tweak the first pass too for it to work?
It's removing it because it could override some previous settings and break the BD standard.

"Good (Very Fast)" = X264 setting "--veryfast"
"Better (Fast)" = X264 setting "--fast"
"High Quality (Default)" = X264 setting "--medium"
"Highest (Slow)" = X264 setting "--slow"

and "High Speed Option (BD-25)" = X264 setting "--ultrafast"

On my system there is very little speed difference between "Better" and "High Quality" -- so if I do anything I may replace "--fast" with "--faster" I personally never even use "Better"... what's the point when I can use "High Quality" and get better output for virtually no impact in speed?

The four current choices are plenty -- the program is already getting too complicated, and I'm not going to make it more so.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th April 2010 at 13:35.
Old 24th April 2010, 13:31   #7915  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It's removing it because it could override some previous settings and break the BD standard.

"Good (Very Fast)" = X264 setting "--veryfast"
"Better (Fast)" = X264 setting "--fast"

On my system there is very little speed difference between "Better" and "High Quality" -- so why would I add another choice between the two and make it more complicated? I personally never even use "Better"... what's the point when I can use "High Quality" and get better output for virtually no impact in speed?
Why not something like:

"Good (Very Fast)" = X264 setting "--superfast"
"Better (Fast)" = X264 setting "--faster"

That would have larger gaps in speed between settings.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 13:40   #7916  |  Link
samtroy

OK, thanks for your replay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read is x264's 'faster' preset placed between 'fast' and 'veryfast' and not between 'medium' and 'fast'.

From x264 wiki:
---------
ultrafast: subme 0, ref 1, me dia, b-adapt 0, partitions none, trellis 0, bframes 0, weightp 0, no-mixed-refs, no-mbtree, no-scenecut, no-deblock, no-cabac, no-8×8dct, aq-mode 0

veryfast: subme 1, ref 1, me dia, partitions i8×8,i4×4, trellis 0, weightp 0, no-mixed-refs, no-mbtree

faster: subme 4, ref 2, weightp 1, no-mixed-refs, no-mbtree

fast: subme 6, ref 2, rc-lookahead 30

medium: No changes -> BD Rebuilder's default High Quality

slow: subme 8, ref 5, me umh, b-adapt 2, direct auto, rc-lookahead 50

slower: subme 9, ref 8, me umh, b-adapt 2, direct auto, rc-lookahead 60, partitions all, trellis 2

veryslow: subme 10, ref 16, me umh, b-adapt 2, direct auto, rc-lookahead 60, partitions all, trellis 2, bframes 8, merange 24

placebo: subme 10, ref 16, me tesa, b-adapt 2, direct auto, rc-lookahead 60, partitions all, trellis 2, bframes 16, no-fast-pskip, slow-firstpass
---------

And since the encoding time difference between x264's 'fast' and 'veryfast' is up to 5 hours on my Core i5 system I thought 'faster' *may be* be a good compromise..

Cheers, S.
Old 24th April 2010, 13:44   #7917  |  Link
samtroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Why not something like:

Yes, this looks good too .

For some reason x264's new '-superfast' preset is missing from my wiki paste above..
Old 24th April 2010, 13:46   #7918  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Why not something like:

Works for me.
Old 24th April 2010, 13:57   #7919  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtroy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read is x264's 'faster' preset placed between 'fast' and 'veryfast' and not between 'medium' and 'fast'.
Yeah. Sorry, I just woke up. It's 6:58am out here in the mountains. I corrected it, but not fast enough.
Old 24th April 2010, 15:19   #7920  |  Link
glood1

hi all

i don' t understand difference beteween crf and abr option if my choice encoding option is very slow and my target is bd 25

i want better quality

thanks for answers
glood1 is offline   Reply With Quote