Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Old 22nd June 2013, 15:02   #1  |  Link
Stereodude

DGDecNV & multiple display adapters (not all Nvidia)

I searched for this and couldn't find the answer, so here goes...

I'm about to set up a Haswell system that has integrated HD 4600 graphics. I know DGDecNV doesn't support the Intel integrated graphics and only supports Nvidia cards with VP2 and higher. I plan to put a Nvidia GT440 card in the system for DGDecNV to use. Does the Nvidia card need to be driving a monitor in order for DGDecNV to find and use it? Or, can I use the Intel integrated HD 4600 graphics to drive my monitor and leave the GT440 sitting idle in the PCIe slot exclusively for DGDecNV use?

Thanks!
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:31   #2  |  Link

I believe at one time you had to have a monitor or a fake monitor connector attached, but now it is not necessary. Definitely give it a try and let me know if you run into any problems.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 02:30   #3  |  Link
Stereodude

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I would have replied with my results sooner, but I only just got all the appropriate software necessary to test installed today (ie: AVIsynth, DGDecNV, & x264). Long story short it works just fine. I'm driving my monitor with the HD4600 and using the GeForce GT 440 for DGDecNV.
Old 28th June 2013, 03:23   #4  |  Link

Glad to hear it's working for you and thank you for your status update.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 09:50   #5  |  Link
RedDwarf1
RedDwarf Fan

This is what I would like until there is a solution for QuickSync. I have an nVidia card which I was using until I rebuilt my PC with 3770K Z77 chipset and using Intel onboard graphics. The only use I had for the nVidia card was video decoding and I can totally do without it except for that. ATM I'm using QuickSync with graphstudio which is not an idea solution.

However, I have tried installing the nVidia card, a GT240 but it will not work with the Intel graphics......my system claims there is insufficient resources for the Intel graphics whenever I install the GT240. So far I have not found a solution and the GT240 is sitting outside my PC which means I cannot use DGDecodeNV.
RedDwarf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 15:38   #6  |  Link
Stereodude

Odd. I left everything in the BIOS at their default values for the HD4600 graphics and then later plugged in the GT440. Everything just worked without tweaking anything.
Old 8th July 2013, 21:42   #7  |  Link
Asmodian

Stereodude and RedDwarf1, do your motherboards have "Lucid Virtu MVP"? It is pretty common on the mid to high Z77/Z87 motherboards.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 22:44   #8  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Stereodude and RedDwarf1, do your motherboards have "Lucid Virtu MVP"? It is pretty common on the mid to high Z77/Z87 motherboards.
I don't think so. link
Old 8th July 2013, 23:08   #9  |  Link
Asmodian

Hmm, I wonder if there is another version of the technology or if it isn't necessary on Haswell?

Your motherboard does seem to have something to allow both at the same time but it doesn't mention Lucid anywhere. It looks like the same thing though, at least as far as allowing the use of both the iGPU and dGPU.

From the manual:
"IGPU Multi-Monitor
Select disable to disable the integrated graphics when an external graphics card is
installed. Select enable to keep the integrated graphics enabled at all times."
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote