Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th July 2018, 09:11   #51661  |  Link
jmone

Thanks Huhn but I think Manni's setup has me sorted!

Last edited by jmone; 7th July 2018 at 13:27.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 13:43   #51662  |  Link
njfoses

If i have a rec709 lut in the rec709 slot along with pass HDR through to display checked (full HDR compatible video chain) will madVR ignore the lut when playing 4k HDR? I only want the lut active when I am actually watching rec709 content and not when watching 4K HDR.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 14:41   #51663  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The OSD will indicate if and which 3DLUT is being used, easy enough for you to confirm.
Old 7th July 2018, 15:07   #51664  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The OSD will indicate if and which 3DLUT is being used, easy enough for you to confirm.
Yea i noticed it does show the rec709 LUT in the OSD when playing HDR so i guess i need to change the config when i watch HDR.
Old 7th July 2018, 17:17   #51665  |  Link
Slysoft

Hey guys. I've noticed a problem with my madvr setup and I was hoping someone had some insight for me.

I have a 144hz monitor and while using madvr and xysubfilter I was getting dropped frames the first time subtitles were displayed. It always happened at the exact moment the first subtitle was shown and never happened afterwards, nor did it happen if I rewound to the beginning and watched the same scene again.

I changed my refresh rate to 60hz and the problem went away, so I assume this has something to do with that. I also tested at 120hz and I did not notice a problem. Now I'm not sure if this is actually a madvr problem or an xysubfilter problem seeing as it only occurs with subtitles and also doesn't happen if I switch to the internal subtitle renderer in mpc-hc.

I also don't get this problem if I playback with mpv, but obviously that doesn't support madvr.

Thanks for the help.
Slysoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 18:08   #51666  |  Link
huhn

showing subtitle the first times add the hole process and it looks like all buffered frames have to be re rendered. dropping frames in this case it pretty "normal".

thsi should only affact aasfilter mod and xy subfilter.

i can't remember it but i'm pretty sure i brought this up a couple of years ago.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 18:32   #51667  |  Link
Slysoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
showing subtitle the first times add the hole process and it looks like all buffered frames have to be re rendered. dropping frames in this case it pretty "normal".

thsi should only affact aasfilter mod and xy subfilter.

i can't remember it but i'm pretty sure i brought this up a couple of years ago.
Yeah that makes sense, but it is weird to me that I don't drop frames at all unless I'm running at 144hz.
Slysoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 18:39   #51668  |  Link
huhn

at 60 you have about 16 ms to fix it at 144 hz you have less than 8 ms.
Old 7th July 2018, 19:01   #51669  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Yea i noticed it does show the rec709 LUT in the OSD when playing HDR so i guess i need to change the config when i watch HDR.
There is an OSD bug that shows the SDR 3DLUT being used even with using HDR passthrough, but the 3DLUT is not actually being used (a test 3DLUT that should change the image a lot does not show any effect). The SDR 3DLUTs are only active for HDR content when madVR first converts HDR to SDR by either method.

Last edited by Asmodian; 7th July 2018 at 19:03.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 19:19   #51670  |  Link
huhn

just use control+shift+alt+3 to test it.
Old 7th July 2018, 19:52   #51671  |  Link
waldnebel

I came across something strange while letting madVR upscale a cute little 240p movie to 4k resolution. Please have a look at the following output:

Quote:
luma -> NGU Sharp (very high) 4x -> Jinc AR
As I understand it the NGU sharp algorithm is applied 4 times and on the third round my little 240p movie should have a height above 2160 pixels. At this point downscaling is quite an interesting part. Why in the name of this planet is Jinc afterwards applied and no downscaling? I think I'm a little bit too stupid to get it.

EDIT: I have also a second question. Isn't it possible to apply pixel shaders while using D3D11 copy-back decoding? mpc-hc says it can't use pre or post resize pixel shaders and I simply don't know why.

Last edited by waldnebel; 7th July 2018 at 19:56.
waldnebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 21:09   #51672  |  Link
thighhighs

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
I came across something strange while letting madVR upscale a cute little 240p movie to 4k resolution. Please have a look at the following output:

luma -> NGU Sharp (very high) 4x -> Jinc AR

As I understand it the NGU sharp algorithm is applied 4 times and on the third round my little 240p movie should have a height above 2160 pixels. At this point downscaling is quite an interesting part. Why in the name of this planet is Jinc afterwards applied and no downscaling? I think I'm a little bit too stupid to get it.
Here direct quadrupling: 240p x 4 = 960p. Jinc used for additional upscaling to target resolution.
Im not sure about ngu upscaling abilities after quadrupling step. Anyway quality is bad, because source resolution low and scaling factor big.
thighhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 22:03   #51673  |  Link
el Filou

I've tested NGU on "Ultra Low Definition" material, e.g. 360p YouTube, and it's just too weird, the picture looks like a watercolour painting.
Old 7th July 2018, 22:08   #51674  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Yup done that (DDU in safe mode) and it is looking good using what you just posted (just running a UHD BD now to check the frame repeats). The only stuff that I guess will not work is titles like Billy Lynn (UHD @ 60p with HRD). I've read the JVC Calibration thread and got the Spyder5 Ultra ready to go now that the basic config seems to be working well - Thanks for the clear post all in one place

Edit - and resetup and test BD - 3D
It will work fine for Billy Lynn if you disable HDR metadata with 4K60p content, otherwise you will get the magenta bug with the JVC. You also want to tell MadVR that dithering is 8bits, not 10bits in that case. I use profiles to do this automatically.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018, 22:20   #51675  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
There is an OSD bug that shows the SDR 3DLUT being used even with using HDR passthrough, but the 3DLUT is not actually being used (a test 3DLUT that should change the image a lot does not show any effect). The SDR 3DLUTs are only active for HDR content when madVR first converts HDR to SDR by either method.
Thank you!
Old 7th July 2018, 22:46   #51676  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
It will work fine for Billy Lynn if you disable HDR metadata with 4K60p content, otherwise you will get the magenta bug with the JVC. You also want to tell MadVR that dithering is 8bits, not 10bits in that case. I use profiles to do this automatically.
Thanks - I could do that, but so far I've only the one and it is not that great of a movie. I presume however the "better" option will be to use the HRD->SDR conversion option that is currently being work on (when it is ready) for all HDR content?
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2018, 02:04   #51677  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
dont think that card is a true 4k card, you'll only get a sub 60hz desktop at 4k, fine if you're not using your HTPC for anything else but I wonder if you'll have other issues with it not being a full 4k card with the increased HDMI bandwidth, you'll need to look into that.

you could pickup an RX 460 for about 60, you'll get NGU sharp low around 30ms rendering, that What I was getting prior.

EDIT pretty sure its HDMI 1.4 spec, unless there was a late HDMI 2.0 version?
Right thanks, but even a RX580 isn't all that faster than my o/c 7850(basically as fast as a 7870): http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...870/3923vs2161

only +54% in some benchmarks and apparently Polaris doesn't like NGU huh, I got all bells and whistles enabled(SSIM 2D, ED2, NGU, Luma & Chroma SuperRes) with my 7850 @1080p so I guess I'll have to throttle it all down a good bit for 2160p and even a RX580 wouldn't quite be the savior either as it would appear.

Apparently Club 3D make dongles that convert DP to HDMI 2.0 allowing 2160p60 on any semi-recent AMD so that's another option, hopefully hiccup-free

Last edited by leeperry; 8th July 2018 at 06:10.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2018, 02:23   #51678  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
I've tested NGU on "Ultra Low Definition" material, e.g. 360p YouTube, and it's just too weird, the picture looks like a watercolour painting.
Which NGU? I prefer NGU Anti Aliasing for <SD.
Old 8th July 2018, 02:40   #51679  |  Link
ryrynz

Yes.. This is exactly the use case for NGU AA. You don't use normal or sharp NGU on resolutions that low.
Also you'll need to pay particular attention to your screen and madvr sharpness settings.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2018, 02:52   #51680  |  Link
huhn

NGU sharp is known to show significant problems with flawed low res images like DVDs.
using RCA and add grain can help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
EDIT: I have also a second question. Isn't it possible to apply pixel shaders while using D3D11 copy-back decoding? mpc-hc says it can't use pre or post resize pixel shaders and I simply don't know why.
shaders are done on the GPU is should work with all decoding types.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling