Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th October 2011, 23:10   #10081  |  Link
dansrfe

Can anyone guide or link me to a basic to advanced calibration method for an LCD Screen, LCD LED Screen, and a Plasma screen? I have completely disabled driver software changes to the display (aka catalyst & nvidia control panel) and just have a windows 7 calibration done on all three of my monitors after putting them on default brightness/contrast levels (which seem pretty clear/normal).

What my question essentially boils down to is: What tools do I need to setup up the best possible calibration which I can do myself and not need to have a professional come in and do. I'm on Windows 7 x64 w/ latest madVR. It's not that I don't want to spend money on a professional calibration. I'm just interested in doing it myself and learning how to do it rather than have someone else do it, even if costs more in the end. Thanks!
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 00:12   #10082  |  Link
Boltron

This site is a great source of info.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
Boltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 08:01   #10083  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Yeah, that's fine. I would have assumed 2.2, but it makes sense to use 2.3 for projectors since that's what the BT.709 spec recommends due to the way movies are overencoded. Either way, the problem now is that madVR outputs a 2.2 PPC, and your projector assumes you input a 2.3 PPC.

Depending on your setup, this can either be a good thing or a bad thing:

1. If your ambient light conditions are perfectly normalized to an ICC reference encoding room setup, it's bad - in this case, you want a perfectly source-linear light level.
2. If your ambient light conditions are average or dimly lit, it's probably the perfect setting. Do you know if he measured your ambient light level during viewing?
3. If your ambient light conditions are very dark to pitch black, it's too low - in this setting you want a curve somewhere around 2.45 to 2.5.

Ideally, you want to perfectly recreate the Trimaster's reference CRT curve, but that's not as easily doable. It depends on your viewing conditions. If in doubt, you can leave his “imperfect” 2.2 -> 2.3 transition (which is actually better in this case, due to, again, overencoding of movies).

His lack of providing an ICC profile baffles me a bit though - they're just as important for video displays as they are for computer displays, since you're using a HTPC to drive your projector which technically makes it a computer display - and an ICC-calculated .3dlut is the only way to get the most out of your viewing experience, especially since it allows you to match gamuts such as xvYCC etc. as well if the need ever arises, without having to pay for an expensive re-calibration.

Ps. How often is he going to update the values? A calibration should be updated at least once a month.
I just had contact with the ISF professional again and he told me that a ICC profile is not made by with the standard calibration my JVC got. A ICC profile only is made when running content from a HTPC which is what I do of course

Will he need to do a re-calibration for my pj for the best result?

EDIT:
got a new reply from the IFS guy. I ll try to translate my best:

Quote:
Do you only play with rendering programs, video editing for BT605 and rec709bt?
If you ONLY play movies or games than the calibration as I did it is correct. For a ICC calibration you pay € 250,- extra, and again, this is only done for people who play with blackmagic or AJA cards.
For a HTPC it is normal to make a standard ICC profile and calibrate on that profile, otherwise every other source you will connect to your display device other than your HTPC will not be correct. A ICC profile is a extra profile and is only beeing used in systems with a ''locked'' hardware system. And again, only for special purposes, not for HTPC usage. I also will have to make the profile with two analysers, one for the ICC profile (auto process via HTPC) and after that a calibration with the spectrum analyser.

EDIT 2:
And again a reply:

Quote:
You have to read carefully. Do you have a blackmagic card or AJA? I gave you a perfect calibration, the signal that is send out by your PC is 100% according to the standard, gives you a D6500 greyscale with a 2.3 gamma (as close as possible) and a REC709 colorspace.
As I explained before a ICC profile if you run colormanaged software like a renderer, final cut pro in combination with a AJA or blackmagic card of if you use another very specific setup. For normal HT usage, as you do (watching movies) I gave you the correct calibration.

EDIT 3:

Another reply from him:

Quote:
ICC profiles are for HTPC usage in fact not needed. You just have to have a correct D6500, gamma 2.3 and REC709 calibration. You DO use a ICC profile by the way, but that s 'generic' standard ICC profile. Look in your projector settings and you will see this.
Let me be clear again:
If you use ICC we are talking about setups that work with AJA or blackmagic cards or a very specific colormanaged workflow where you convert from 1 colorspace to another, THERE IS NO HTPC SOLUTION THAT CAN DO THIS. What you do is just play a dvd or videofile and for this is absolutely no ICC profile needed

Last edited by THX-UltraII; 13th October 2011 at 10:42.
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 08:54   #10084  |  Link
THX-UltraII

And here is my calibration report.

ps. Rename the .txt to .xls to see the report!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Heijnen 24 Juli 2011.txt (92.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 13th October 2011, 11:57   #10085  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
I just had contact with the ISF professional again and he told me that a ICC profile is not made by with the standard calibration my JVC got. A ICC profile only is made when running content from a HTPC which is what I do of course

He will not have to re-do your calibration. Profiling is an additional step.

Quote:
Do you only play with rendering programs, video editing for BT605 and rec709bt?
If you ONLY play movies or games than the calibration as I did it is correct. For a ICC calibration you pay € 250,- extra, and again, this is only done for people who play with blackmagic or AJA cards.
For a HTPC it is normal to make a standard ICC profile and calibrate on that profile, otherwise every other source you will connect to your display device other than your HTPC will not be correct. A ICC profile is a extra profile and is only beeing used in systems with a ''locked'' hardware system. And again, only for special purposes, not for HTPC usage. I also will have to make the profile with two analysers, one for the ICC profile (auto process via HTPC) and after that a calibration with the spectrum analyser.
It doesn't matter whether he calibrates to BT.709 or not, even after calibration he can still provide an ICC profile so you can smooth out all of the calibration inaccuracies, and do crazy stuff like provide a 134217728-entry 3D LUT for the absolute best results. I highly, highly doubt that your projector has a 512x512x512 LUT, it's probably more like 16x16x16.

Quote:
You have to read carefully. Do you have a blackmagic card or AJA? I gave you a perfect calibration, the signal that is send out by your PC is 100% according to the standard, gives you a D6500 greyscale with a 2.3 gamma (as close as possible) and a REC709 colorspace.
As I explained before a ICC profile if you run colormanaged software like a renderer, final cut pro in combination with a AJA or blackmagic card of if you use another very specific setup. For normal HT usage, as you do (watching movies) I gave you the correct calibration.
It should not matter whether you use an AJA or blackmagic card - the point here is that the PC tries its “best” to get a D65/2.3/BT709 signal, and the projector tries its “best” to display that. But no matter how good you get this, the projector will usually always be the weak link, since it'll never be a perfect D65/2.3/BT709 (unless your projector has hundreds of megabytes of memory for the calibration ).

The point here is that you should get the projector as close as possible to BT.709 (he's done this), then *profile* it so you have a detailed report of all of the inaccuracies. You should do this over at least 2000 sample patches, but I'd recommend more. An optimal profiling should probably have been done overnight, as they can take many hours at several thousand samples.

Then, you can use your very, very powerful (compared to the projector) HTPC to adjust for all of the tiny little differences. You'll probably be able to cut the delta E in half that way. I doubt you'll see a difference with the eye, but better is always better, right?

Quote:
ICC profiles are for HTPC usage in fact not needed. You just have to have a correct D6500, gamma 2.3 and REC709 calibration. You DO use a ICC profile by the way, but that s 'generic' standard ICC profile. Look in your projector settings and you will see this.
Let me be clear again:
If you use ICC we are talking about setups that work with AJA or blackmagic cards or a very specific colormanaged workflow where you convert from 1 colorspace to another, THERE IS NO HTPC SOLUTION THAT CAN DO THIS. What you do is just play a dvd or videofile and for this is absolutely no ICC profile needed
They're not needed, but they're still useful. A “correct” D6500 / gamma 2.3 / REC709 calibration is not always as “correct” as one wants it to be. This is why I spend up to 10 hours generating massive charts for my playback device. Even those are not perfect, usually because my monitor is limited to 10 bit precision.

Quote:
or a very specific colormanaged workflow where you convert from 1 colorspace to another, THERE IS NO HTPC SOLUTION THAT CAN DO THIS
Tell him this is plain WRONG. madVR is perfectly capable of doing this. That's the whole reason for the ordeal. We *CAN* convert color spaces ourselves, and we do know what we are doing, and have complex software for the task.

Quote:
And here is my calibration report.

ps. Rename the .txt to .xls to see the report!
Upload your attachment somewhere else, getting them approved on doom9 can take quite a while.

Last edited by nand chan; 13th October 2011 at 11:59.
nand chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:02   #10086  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:

Your JVC pj runs off 10/12bit internal processing, forget about 8bit ICC's on the computer. ICC's/1DLUT's are necessary when you're using a stubborn display that has very limited colorimetry settings, that's all.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 12:06   #10087  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Can anyone guide or link me to a basic to advanced calibration method for an LCD Screen, LCD LED Screen, and a Plasma screen? I have completely disabled driver software changes to the display (aka catalyst & nvidia control panel) and just have a windows 7 calibration done on all three of my monitors after putting them on default brightness/contrast levels (which seem pretty clear/normal).

What my question essentially boils down to is: What tools do I need to setup up the best possible calibration which I can do myself and not need to have a professional come in and do. I'm on Windows 7 x64 w/ latest madVR. It's not that I don't want to spend money on a professional calibration. I'm just interested in doing it myself and learning how to do it rather than have someone else do it, even if costs more in the end. Thanks!
If you do end up buying a colorimeter/spectrometer, you should try going for one of these: http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/ArgyllDoc.html as they are usable with the excellent and free software ArgyllCMS, often better than even the expensive official software they come with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Your JVC pj runs off 10/12bit internal processing, forget about 8bit ICC's on the computer. ICC's/1DLUT's are necessary when you're using a stubborn display that has very limited colorimetry settings, that's all.
Yes and madVR runs off 16-bit processing, and uses 16-bit LUTs. Even if the projector is capable of 12-bit internal processing, how many samples does it really store?

Last edited by nand chan; 13th October 2011 at 12:08.
Old 13th October 2011, 13:01   #10088  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Thanks for your very extensive reply and time you take for my postings nand chan. The only problem is that the stuff you talk about is way out of my league and I just don t understand all these values/settings you discuss. I emailed all your replies directly to him so I hope he will take the time to reply to this again.

But is the conclusion that you are saying that I will only get some minor (maybe not seeable) improvements with the things you talk about? Just want good PQ with correct colours displayed.

Right now my setup is:
- latest MPC-HC with madVR as output renderer.
- perfect video sync with 1-3 dropped frames/hour (reported my madVR)
- LAV video decoder with all boxes checked in the output formats field and HQ video checked
- ATI 5450 with latest ati driver and RGB Full as Pixel Format
- 0-255 checked in madVR
- projector set to RGB as colourspace and 'ENHANCED' as hdmi input
Old 13th October 2011, 13:12   #10089  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Thanks for your very extensive reply and time you take for my postings nand chan. The only problem is that the stuff you talk about is way out of my league and I just don t understand all these values/settings you discuss. I emailed all your replies directly to him so I hope he will take the time to reply to this again.

But is the conclusion that you are saying that I will only get some minor (maybe not seeable) improvements with the things you talk about? Just want good PQ with correct colours displayed.
Then you'll probably be fine. The differences should be very minor if at best. I'm just anal about color accuracy.

Quote:
Right now my setup is:
- latest MPC-HC with madVR as output renderer.
- perfect video sync with 1-3 dropped frames/hour (reported my madVR)
- LAV video decoder with all boxes checked in the output formats field and HQ video checked
- ATI 5450 with latest ati driver and RGB Full as Pixel Format
- 0-255 checked in madVR
- projector set to RGB as colourspace and 'ENHANCED' as hdmi input
Looks fine, but the only problem right now is that madVR outputs BT.709/2.2/D65 and your projector inputs BT.709/2.3/D65. Whether or not this is good or bad depends again on your ambient light setup, would you mind answering the question I asked earlier?
Old 13th October 2011, 13:29   #10090  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Looks fine, but the only problem right now is that madVR outputs BT.709/2.2/D65 and your projector inputs BT.709/2.3/D65. Whether or not this is good or bad depends again on your ambient light setup, would you mind answering the question I asked earlier?
Sure, I m in a 100% darkened bat cave with everything mat-black including walls, ceiling and floor. More bat cave is not possible
Old 13th October 2011, 13:53   #10091  |  Link
jmonier

I think that Madshi and the rest of us would appreciate it if you take this discussion to its' own thread. It, at this point, has nothing to do with madVR.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 14:02   #10092  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Sure, I m in a 100% darkened bat cave with everything mat-black including walls, ceiling and floor. More bat cave is not possible
Then 2.3 might even be too low. To explain a bit: Common CRTs have a gamma curve of about 2.35 to 2.45, so theoretically, you want to encode an image using a gamma curve of 2.4 as well. The problem here is, when encoding, you're encoding in a studio encoding room - these are set up for an ideal encoding brightness. However, this brightness is far above everything you'd typically encounter in a home theater setup, especially if you're in a dark bat cave.

Now the problem is, the eye (or rather the brain) doesn't process light linearly. If something is surrounded by a very dark color, it'll appear different than if it's surrounded by a very bright color. It's the reason those optical illusions work (A and B are the same color).

So what we ended up doing is we started encoding images using a lower gamma value (1/2.2), which results in the function shown in red.
However, if we decode this on a monitor that uses a higher gamma value (eg. 2.4, shown in the blue curve below), we get the result shown in purple, which is darker than a truly linear source.

What basically is happening here is that colors are appearing darker on our monitors than they should. Since the monitor is surrounded by a dark environment, this effect cancels itself out in the brain (something surrounded by darkness will appear brighter), and we “perceptually” get the original colors back.

However, on your monitor, you have a curve of 2.3 PPC used to decode, so the result will be closer to linear. This works fine for the average dimly lit playback environment, but if you're in a perfectly dark room, you will need to emulate a higher decoding value.

What I recommend doing is going into your madVR options, check “enable gamma processing”, select “pure power curve” and choose something like 2.4 or 2.5. You'll probably have to play with the value somewhat, but this should result in a more optimal result for playback in a very dark environment. I personally use 2.5 at night, 2.4 in the evening and 2.3 during the day.

Then, go to your calibration settings and choose “the display is already calibrated”, select “BT.709” for the primaries, “pure power curve” for the curve and 2.30 for the setting.

I hope this clears things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I think that Madshi and the rest of us would appreciate it if you take this discussion to its' own thread. It, at this point, has nothing to do with madVR.
You're probably right. THX-UltraII, if you have any follow up to this post, send it to me via PM.

Last edited by nand chan; 13th October 2011 at 14:11.
Old 13th October 2011, 14:59   #10093  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Yes and madVR runs off 16-bit processing, and uses 16-bit LUTs. Even if the projector is capable of 12-bit internal processing, how many samples does it really store?
few points, in no particular order:

-I'm really not up to date on 10bit output, as I happen to be highly XP resilent...but from what I gathered, 10bit output doesn't work in mVR yet? So at the end of the day, your grossly oversized 16bit LUT is being encoded in RGB24 TMDS. And yes, 10/12(or maybe 14/16?) internal processing in his spanking new JVC pj will look better and less bandy/noisy.

-The RS1 didn't have any gamma settings at all, so I would agree w/ your statement as this very much applies for the need of an ICC...but I believe they've come a long way since then? I've got no interest in LCD based pj's(due to problems such as misconvergence), but a DDP3010 Darkchip3 DLP combo works in 10bit and provides just the right amount of colorimetry settings to avoid highly lossy 8bit adjustments.

-I might be wrong but all the stuff you like to nitpick about lately is only true if you're using a top of the line (freshly factory recalibrated) spectrophotometer and recalibrate your display at least on a weekly basis. I believe hardly anyone can DBT the same test pattern w/ a ΔE of 0/1 or 2. And many ppl can't be hassled to learn the calibration 101 and prefer to pay an ISF guy to come to their house....but we both know how fluctuant the colorimetery of a high pressure light bulb is, so one week down the road their calibration is pretty much fubar.

Theory is nice and all, and of course everything should be done w/ the highest accuracy, but please don't overlook the real world consequences. And tbh, I rest my case that this kind of discussion has little to do in the mVR thread. I've already helped THX-UltraII on both AVS and the Reclock forum....he'll come up w/ questions until the end of days, so better create a separate thread now IMHO
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 18:02   #10094  |  Link

Quote:
Internal calculations may be 16-bit, but the results are dithered to 8-bit. There is a very noticeable drop in quality when using 3DLUTs, even on digital displays, which don't do the best job of displaying 8-bit as it is.

I would want to do as much calibration as possible—especially the lower-end of the greyscale & gamma—using the display's own controls.

I hope Madshi manages to figure out how to get 10-bit over HDMI in full-screen exclusive mode, as it would make such a difference for those of us using 10-bit native panels. (LCoS/SXRD, higher-end LCDs)

Quote:
So what we ended up doing is we started encoding images using a lower gamma value (1/2.2), which results in the function shown in red.
However, if we decode this on a monitor that uses a higher gamma value (eg. 2.4, shown in the blue curve below), we get the result shown in purple, which is darker than a truly linear source.
This is not correct at all. Content is encoded using the BT.709 transfer function, whose best-fit power curve is 1.96 gamma. (1/0.51)

Display gamma is absolutely not intended to get a linear result from this.

The short answer is that studio CRTs were as close to 2.40 gamma as they could be made, and the new generation of OLED monitors are exactly 2.40 gamma.

Anything else for video/film content is wrong. (but you may have to deviate from correct if you aren't watching in a dim/dark room)

PC/Game content uses sRGB, which is essentially 2.2 gamma. (technically there is an sRGB transfer function but I don't know of anything that uses it)

Quote:
go to your calibration settings and choose “the display is already calibrated”, select “BT.709” for the primaries, “pure power curve” for the curve and 2.30 for the setting.
This is good advice, and probably what he should do. If the projector has been well calibrated, it's almost certainly not worth paying €250 just to get a profile made. That price is fairly ridiculous as profiling just involves setting up the meter and leaving it to run unattended for 20+ minutes, depending on the package used.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 18:14   #10095  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Internal calculations may be 16-bit, but the results are dithered to 8-bit. There is a very noticeable drop in quality when using 3DLUTs, even on digital displays, which don't do the best job of displaying 8-bit as it is.

I would want to do as much calibration as possible—especially the lower-end of the greyscale & gamma—using the display's own controls.

I hope Madshi manages to figure out how to get 10-bit over HDMI in full-screen exclusive mode, as it would make such a difference for those of us using 10-bit native panels. (LCoS/SXRD, higher-end LCDs)
I think EVR-CP can use 10-bit output, and you can also use a .3dlut for this.

Quote:
This is not correct at all. Content is encoded using the BT.709 transfer function, whose best-fit power curve is 1.96 gamma. (1/0.51)
I'm talking about before BT.709 even existed. That's how the very first digital cameras started working, and the trend has continued until today. Images are adjusted during the encoding process to be darker than they actually should.

Quote:
Display gamma is absolutely not intended to get a linear result from this.
That's a specific of the H.264 specification and is unrelated to the monitor output.

Quote:
The short answer is that studio CRTs were as close to 2.40 gamma as they could be made, and the new generation of OLED monitors are exactly 2.40 gamma.

Anything else for video/film content is wrong. (but you may have to deviate from correct if you aren't watching in a dim/dark room)
Encoding rooms call for 80 lux at D5500, a pitch black room will be darker than that, so 2.5 is even better.

Quote:
PC/Game content uses sRGB, which is essentially 2.2 gamma. (technically there is an sRGB transfer function but I don't know of anything that uses it)

This is good advice, and probably what he should do. If the projector has been well calibrated, it's almost certainly not worth paying €250 just to get a profile made. That price is fairly ridiculous as profiling just involves setting up the meter and leaving it to run unattended for 20+ minutes, depending on the package used.
20+ minutes? More like 10+ hours, especially since spectrophotometers are quite slow in their measurements compared to colorimeters.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:53   #10096  |  Link
noee

madshi, small cosmetic issue:

dual-mon, playback on second mon, FSE mode (Win7 x64), MPC-HC.

With the OSD turned on, if I then hover the mouse over the "Show Desktop" area of the toolbar (on the first mon), the seek bar then shows on the playback mon. Turning OSD off does not exhibit this behavior.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 21:37   #10097  |  Link

Quote:
Images are adjusted during the encoding process to be darker than they actually should.
No, images are encoded using a specific curve that preserves shadow details and avoids noise near black. It was never intended to be displayed linearly.

2.40 gamma is not displaying things "darker than they should", it's displaying things as intended.

Quote:
Encoding rooms call for 80 lux at D5500, a pitch black room will be darker than that, so 2.5 is even better.
Modern facilities are essentially a dark room—1lx ambient lighting, not 80 lux.

Reference gamma is 2.40, period. If you want to see the content as it was created and intended to be viewed, that is what's required on your display.

Quote:
20+ minutes? More like 10+ hours, especially since spectrophotometers are quite slow in their measurements compared to colorimeters.
ArgyllCMS' insane 256-point profiles (or however many it uses) are worthless. It is actually less accurate when using too much data to create a LUT, and using too many points of data creates considerable banding issues when outputting 8-bit.

Unless you are using pro-grade actively cooled meters in a temperature-controlled room (consumer-grade displays do not regulate their temperature) you are never going to get accurate results if it's going to take you 10 hours for measurements.

5% steps is arguably too much data for a LUT, and with some displays, even 10% steps is too much data to get a good calibration result. (it may look nice when you only plot those 10-20 points, but not when you look at the whole greyscale)

At most, profiling a display—that is the computer taking automated measurements, not an interactive calibration—should take an hour. Most packages with newer meters take half that time or less.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 02:43   #10098  |  Link
jmone

Cross post from the J.River Beta Forum as I "think" it is a madVR bug but...

1st Issue: madVR Windowed mode = Lip Sync issues on 23.776/24hz (the video is delayed so the sound come first)

There is no issue with:
- EVR
- madVR Exclusive mode
- madVR Windowed mode at 50hz or 60hz

I've tried different combinations and the following make no difference to the lipsync issues:
- Decoding Vs Bitstreaming
- Video Clock on or off
- Normalize vol on or off
- HW Accell on or off (eg CUVID vs FFDSHOW)
- madVR Settings of "delay playback start until render queue is full" on or off
- madVR Settings of "use a separate device for presentation"
- Pause/Play or a Seek makes no difference - it is consistently out
- Disabling auto refresh rate changes
- Manually pre changing refresh rates

My only conclusion at this stage is that it is madVR Windowed mode that delays the video when the refresh rate is at 23.976/24hz ...unless there is other suggestions on what to try.

Last edited by jmone; 14th October 2011 at 06:09.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 02:47   #10099  |  Link
jmone

2nd Issue: "Exclusive Mode Failed" : A few of us are having this issue on the HTPC where the Player software may not be restarted for days. At some point madVR will throw up an "Exclusive Mode Failed" error msg, and from that point on will only use Windowed Mode till the player is closed and restarted (J.River Media Center) which fixes the issue every time (but has a low WAF). Any suggestions on how to eliminate "Exclusive Mode Failed" errors?
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 05:54   #10100  |  Link
JarrettH

Does the 'Use D3D11 for presentation' need a DirectX 11 card? I enabled it and assumed it wouldn't operate, but seems to play normally.

Also, I think the 'overshoot max...' option has zeroed my presentation glitches. I thought I had it sorted before, but I noticed them cropping up again

My settings now would be:

5/8 for windowed and exclusive buffers with 'overshoot max frame latency' tweak

Last edited by JarrettH; 14th October 2011 at 06:08.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling