Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th January 2016, 11:10   #201  |  Link
Nullack

Thanks mate I appreciate your words of wisdom
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 17:08   #202  |  Link
CarlosCaco

What the new option "use Sigmoidal light" on image upscaling does?
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 01:17   #203  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
What the new option "use Sigmoidal light" on image upscaling does?
Finally added a description; description borrowed from the DitherTools manual.

Updated for madVR v0.90.3
Old 6th February 2016, 08:34   #204  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for madVR v0.90.4
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:21   #205  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for madVR v0.90.12.

A lot of improvements in madVR but the only major change for this post was removal of all mention of Jinc only being for upscaling and 3D doesn't crash anymore.

Last edited by Asmodian; 23rd February 2016 at 09:46.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 11:55   #206  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Excellent explanation to the madvr options, will there be an info for the stats in madvr etc. "average rendering time, present" and more?

For example I'm kinda confused which of the two modes are good for my card gtx 550 ti, the "present" stats are different and I don't know what they mean exactly.

Last edited by Siso; 13th March 2016 at 12:32.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 22:16   #207  |  Link
huhn

you can usually ignore present times unless you have an issue.

present times has "nothing" to do with performance. of cause this is over simplified.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 04:45   #208  |  Link
JarrettH

I have a 550 Ti too. It's still capable of quite a lot.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 09:21   #209  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
I have a 550 Ti too. It's still capable of quite a lot.
Yeah, it has some sort of good potential
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 21:40   #210  |  Link
CountryBumkin

Some explaination of the madVR status window would be very helpful

I think it would be great if you could add some information on the first page (or so) that explains a little about what the Queue numbers and Render/Present times mean.

It would help us "madVR-challenged" to understand what is going on when things don't work/look just right.

For example my "Present Queue" is 0-1/8 and "Render Queue" is 1-2/8. And I have a lot of dropped frames.

I believe a low Present Queue means that my computer is too weak for the settings. Is this correct?

Also my Present Time is 4.02ms and the Rendering Time is 86.41ms. What is the acceptable Rendering Time(s)?

BTW - I am so clueless on this stuff, it took me ten tries to answer the spam question in order to post.
CountryBumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 20:53   #211  |  Link
Asmodian

I don't think I want to put more of that kind of information in the first post, it is meant to be a description of all the options, not really a guide. I want to keep the beginning of the post limited to only describing options.

I think I do mention everything you need to know about queues and present times already, but in the second post.

CPU queue size: [16] The buffer in system memory for decoded video and xySubFilter subtitles.
GPU queue size: [8] The buffer in the graphics memory for madVR’s rendering.
how many video frames shall be presented in advance or how many backbuffers shall be used: [8 or 3] A final buffer after madVR is done rendering.

At the start of "More Advanced Topics" I have:
"The sum of the average stats "deinterlace" (if present), "rendering", and "present" should be a bit below the frame time in the line "v-sync [X] ms, frame [Y] ms" to avoid dropped frames and presentation glitches."

Is this the information you were looking for or is there something else you want to know? Do I need a "Trouble Shooting" section in "Advanced Topics" so people do not miss it? Or maybe simply a "madVR OSD" section instead? I think I like that idea, I will add that before Advanced Topics.

I did update the description of "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to:
Quote:
how many video frames shall be presented in advance or how many backbuffers shall be used: [8 or 3] The present queue, a final buffer in DirectX, after madVR sends completed frames to Windows.
Is this better?

Thanks.
Old 28th March 2016, 18:18   #212  |  Link
CountryBumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I think I do mention everything you need to know about queues and present times already, but in the second post.

CPU queue size: [16] The buffer in system memory for decoded video and xySubFilter subtitles.
GPU queue size: [8] The buffer in the graphics memory for madVR’s rendering.
how many video frames shall be presented in advance or how many backbuffers shall be used: [8 or 3] A final buffer after madVR is done rendering.

At the start of "More Advanced Topics" I have:
"The sum of the average stats "deinterlace" (if present), "rendering", and "present" should be a bit below the frame time in the line "v-sync [X] ms, frame [Y] ms" to avoid dropped frames and presentation glitches."

Do I need a "Trouble Shooting" section in "Advanced Topics" so people do not miss it? Or maybe simply a "madVR OSD" section instead? I think I like that idea, I will add that before Advanced Topics.

I did update the description of "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to:

Is this better?

Thanks.
I would love to see a "Troubleshooting Section". I think it would be very helpful to those of us that are technically challenged in this area.

I found this info posted by madshi (about page 10 of madVR thread):

If you want to give madVR even a chance to achieve smooth playback you have to achieve an "average gpu rendering time" that is a notch lower than the "movie frame interval". I'd say it should not be higher than 35ms for 23.976 playback.

Now the optimal configuration for madVR is if you drive the display with the same refresh rate the source is in (in your case 23.976Hz). If you have to use 59.940Hz, things get slightly more difficult for madVR. In that case you may have to bring "average gpu rendering time" down even more.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
The frame rendering is ~14ms. For playing in my monitor at 72Hz (13.9ms) is not enough, but should be fine to use with my projector at 48Hz (20ms). If I use Lanczos or Spline resampling the rendering time jumps to ~20ms, so I should not be able to use those resamplers with smooth playing...
You would be right if madVR needed to draw a *new* Blu-Ray frame every VSync. But if it did that, you'd get 3x respectively 2x as fast movie playback as you should get. madVR has to skip lots of VSyncs with your refresh rates. Because of that the most important reference time is not the "vsync interval" but the "frame interval".

This is the "kind of info" I am looking for when it comes to troubleshooting (understand the Stats).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by CountryBumkin; 28th March 2016 at 18:26.
CountryBumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 02:59   #213  |  Link
Asmodian

From your post I take it that:

The sum of the average stats "deinterlace" (if present), "rendering", and "present" should be a bit below the frame time in the line "v-sync [X] ms, frame [Y] ms" to avoid dropped frames and presentation glitches.

Did not tell you all this already? Everything covered in your post is what I was trying to communicate with that line.

I am having trouble understanding if you want any new information or simply didn't understand what I was trying to say with that line. Do I just need to rephrase it or add an entirely new section? Adding a new section will not help if the problem is with understanding what I wrote instead of actually missing information.

edit: Does this example I included help clarify it?
Quote:
The sum of the average stats "deinterlace" (if present), "rendering", and "present" should be a bit below the frame time, Y, in the line "v-sync [X] ms, frame [Y] ms" to avoid dropped frames and presentation glitches. For example, progressive 29.97 fps video has a new frame every 33.37 ms so "rendering"+"present" needs to be a few ms below 33.37 ms. 23.976 fps video has a new frame only every 41.71 ms so you can use more demanding settings with lower frame rate video. Exactly how far below the frame time is required for glitch free playback is dependent on the system but a few milliseconds is usually sufficient.

Last edited by Asmodian; 29th March 2016 at 04:48.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 03:11   #214  |  Link
Warner306

Bump.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 05:39   #215  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Bump.
Thanks. I finally updated to 90.17, I used your description for the anti-bloating filter.
Quote:
This reduces the fatness created by line sharpeners. Not needed for crispen edges, which is already "skinny."
Old 11th May 2016, 09:29   #216  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for madVR v0.90.18.

Another artifact removal option, 'reduce ringing artifacts'!
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:40   #217  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for v0.90.20.

New flow chart.
Old 30th May 2016, 17:49   #218  |  Link
e-t172

After some experiments I've noticed that the way 3DLUTs and GPU gamma curves work can be a bit counter-intuitive at times. I have a suggestion:

Change:

Quote:
calibrate this display by using external 3DLUT files: Use a calibration package such as Argyllcms, Calman, or LightSpace to generate a 256x256x256 3DLUT to perform a full calibration. For Argyllcms see this AVS Forum thread, for Calman, or for LightSpace.
disable GPU gamma ramps: This disables the Windows calibration or monitor profile. It affects everything displayed, not only madVR. madVR will restore the profile when it is closed. This option changes its behavior when using the 'rendering -> general settings' option 'enable windowed overlay' to only apply to madVR because madVR is emulating the gamma ramps in that case.
To:

Quote:
calibrate this display by using external 3DLUT files: Use a calibration package such as Argyllcms, Calman, or LightSpace to generate a 256x256x256 3DLUT to perform a full calibration. For Argyllcms see this AVS Forum thread, for Calman, or for LightSpace. If the provided 3DLUT file contains calibration curves (e.g. in the case of ArgyllCMS, the collink "-a" or "-H" options were used), madVR will load the calibration curves into the system-wide GPU hardware gamma ramps, which affects everything displayed, not just madVR. madVR will restore the original gamma ramps (if any) when it is closed.
disable GPU gamma ramps: Clears system-wide GPU gamma ramps (monitor calibration), if any, replacing them with linear (no-op) curves. This affects everything displayed, not just madVR. madVR will restore the original GPU gamma ramps (if any) when it is closed. This option changes its behavior when using the 'rendering -> general settings' option 'enable windowed overlay' to only apply to madVR because madVR is emulating the gamma ramps in that case. This option has no effect if a 3DLUT file that contains calibration curves is loaded (see above).
(I also took the liberty of avoiding the term "profile", which is confusing because an ICC profile contains more than just calibration curves.)

Last edited by e-t172; 30th May 2016 at 17:59.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 04:37   #219  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
After some experiments I've noticed that the way 3DLUTs and GPU gamma curves work can be a bit counter-intuitive at times. I have a suggestion:
..snip..
(I also took the liberty of avoiding the term "profile", which is confusing because an ICC profile contains more than just calibration curves.)
I like it! Done.

More precise and very useful information. I also have enough characters to expand that section a bit.

Thanks.
Old 25th June 2016, 00:38   #220  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated to v0.90.21, no changes.