Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 29th July 2017, 18:21   #26321  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadrocks View Post
----------------------
[07/28/17] BD Rebuilder v0.50.24
[21:22:10] Source: A_NEW_HOPE_00800
- Input BD size: 38.71 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:04:44.727]
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- MOVIE-ONLY/ALTERNATE OUTPUT mode enabled
- Mode: MKV Container, HEVC 1920x1080, Auto-AAC
- Quality: High Quality (Default)
- Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[21:22:10] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [21:22:10] Processing: VID_00300 (1 of 2)
- [21:22:10] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00300]
- [21:31:47] Reencoding video [VID_00300]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 3,522 frames
- [21:31:48] Reencoding: VID_00300, Pass 1 of 1
[21:31:56] - Failed video encode, aborted

Its just a handful of movies that fail, Star Wars 4, 5, 6, John Wick Ch2, Hacksaw Ridge are a few.
Ok. I think I found a way for to occur. I'm guessing the ATCDelta flag was set on the source and it is multi-part -- which makes BD-RB want to work directly with the source rather than through an AVS file. That can't be allowed when using X265 for output (since it needs to use AVS2YUV to feed it). I've put in an exclusion to prevent that from happening for the next release.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th July 2017 at 03:48.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2017, 22:32   #26322  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Ok. I think I found a way for to occur. I'm guessing the ATCDelta flag was set on the source -- which makes BD-RB want to work directly with the source rather than through an AVS file. That can't be allowed when using X265 for output (since it needs to use AVS2YUV to feed it). I've put in an exclusion to prevent that from happening for the next release.
Annnnnnnnd... that's why, in my lowly and wretched opinion... just stay with x264. x265 just doesn't seem worth all the trouble...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 03:46   #26323  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Annnnnnnnd... that's why, in my lowly and wretched opinion... just stay with x264. x265 just doesn't seem worth all the trouble...
If you're trying to encode at very low bitrates, you're kinda' have to go HEVC. But... based on my quality/size testing, at higher bitrates you have to have close to the same file size in both X264 and X265 to keep the same SSIM.
Old 30th July 2017, 05:12   #26324  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
If you're trying to encode at very low bitrates, you're kinda' have to go HEVC. But... based on my quality/size testing, at higher bitrates you have to have close to the same file size in both X264 and X265 to keep the same SSIM.
Yeah, makes sense...
Old 30th July 2017, 16:13   #26325  |  Link
worknstiff

Re: at higher bitrates you have to have close to the same file size in both X264 and X265.
Wonder why all the 4K stuff is H.265 then if there is no optimization of the file sizes. Does H.265 only show huge gains when you are using higher resolutions?
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 16:27   #26326  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff View Post
Re: at higher bitrates you have to have close to the same file size in both X264 and X265.
Wonder why all the 4K stuff is H.265 then if there is no optimization of the file sizes. Does H.265 only show huge gains when you are using higher resolutions?
HEVC is designed for 4K resolution, that is where it "shines"
At lower resolutions YMMV
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 17:46   #26327  |  Link
worknstiff

I have to say except for a few instances looking at the big box stores HUGE 70" and above displays I have been under-whelmed with much of an improvement in detail, unless you get really CLOSE. Yes I see the improvement in the color, and contrast but so many movies now are so color graded and filmed in available light with digital cameras that all the "detail" is lost anyway. Then throw in the fact that there is no 3D, no way to BD Rebuilder or even playback on your PC and I'm ready to sit this round of upgrading out, at least for the moment.
Old 30th July 2017, 20:43   #26328  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I have to say except for a few instances looking at the big box stores HUGE 70" and above displays I have been under-whelmed with much of an improvement in detail, unless you get really CLOSE. Yes I see the improvement in the color, and contrast but so many movies now are so color graded and filmed in available light with digital cameras that all the "detail" is lost anyway. Then throw in the fact that there is no 3D, no way to BD Rebuilder or even playback on your PC and I'm ready to sit this round of upgrading out, at least for the moment.
Yeah. I'm kinda' in that boat too. I read a really good article recently. The article points out that at normal viewing distance, most (maybe all) people can't distinguish a difference between UHD and 1080p. There is a point where you are paying for something new, without actually getting any measurable benefit. I'm not rich enough to do that. Maybe if I had a 100" screen... but I'm still at 65".
Old 30th July 2017, 21:08   #26329  |  Link
meadrocks

I'm still using a 60" Pioneer plasma TV, the new 4K LCDs don't look any better to my 50 year old eyes. I'm really looking forward to HDR and the increased color space, once media is available I can see upgrading.
meadrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 01:00   #26330  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
I'm still at 65".
Wow, you still look pretty good for your age...
Old 31st July 2017, 16:36   #26331  |  Link
lauguru

Someone knows how to use it in TWEAK_X265= to put in ARCHIVE MODE: main 10, level 5.1, bt.2020 ??? For use [V: hevc main 10, yuv420p10le ]
TWEAK_X265=--output-depth 10 --profile main10 --tune grain

Last edited by lauguru; 31st July 2017 at 16:55.
lauguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 18:03   #26332  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Yes I see the improvement in the color, and contrast but so many movies now are so color graded and filmed in available light with digital cameras that all the "detail" is lost anyway.
Something wrong with using available sun light when outside? Besides, you can't "film" with digital cameras. I've never found a way to put film in them. In any event, how can detail be lost? Most studios use the Red 5K, or even 8K, cameras. They are specifically designed for "shooting" (not "filming") movies.

Other than HDR modes for 4K displays, it is indeed hard to tell the difference between 2K and 4K, until you get into displays that are larger than 100". Specifically home theaters with larger screens using projectors.

I'll have to win PowerBall before I'll be able to build a new home with a built-in theater, using a professional 4K theater projector (with 3D ).
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 05:31   #26333  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Something wrong with using available sun light when outside? Besides, you can't "film" with digital cameras. I've never found a way to put film in them. In any event, how can detail be lost? Most studios use the Red 5K, or even 8K, cameras. They are specifically designed for "shooting" (not "filming") movies.
Yeah, some 'grain lovers' are so attached to their 'natural grain', that they forget that that is mostly a BYGONE product of using film. I understand and I too appreciate older films with inherent grain that comes with the filming process, and in some cases it can kind of enhance the viewing experience depending on the content. BUT... these sometimes narrow mindedly passionate grain devotees must remember that grain, which has been with us for so many decades is a chance BYPRODUCT of the medium. So, now that movies are using more digital cameras, unless the intermediate is manipulated, you are just simply not going to see that much grain in 'films' these days, which is what bloody REAL LIFE looks like! That has absolutely NOTHING to do with retained 'detail' The only point that I personally feel that these people have is when it is AGGRESSIVELY wiped away taking some of the actual detail with it. But, to say that since they are mostly using digital cameras, and thus there is 'no detail anyway'... well, I don't think I really need to finish that sentence, do I...
Old 1st August 2017, 15:19   #26334  |  Link
worknstiff

@ MrVideo RE: Something wrong with using available sun light when outside? Besides, you can't "film" with digital cameras. I've never found a way to put film in them. In any event, how can detail be lost?

No I think good old sunlight is the way to go but I was specifically talking about all the films (IE: I meant that in a general way not literally "filmed" with film.) that want to use something like candle light when shooting a scene. I REALLY hate the strobing effect and the lack of any detail. Don't even get me started with the shaky cam cuts using what appears to be a low resolution handicam. I am also pissed when I watch something like Lost City of Z and the color grading has robbed even most of the "probably" gorgeous outdoor shots of the amazon into a green washed out mess. Then all the interior shots were so low light there wasn't a lot of details of what was some probably pretty good looking set pieces. I get they the director and photographer were going for a "French painter Claude Lorrain was an aesthetic influence on the film's design. Khondji said he purposely designed mythical images of skies that Lorrain may have painted that are filled with gold, red, and blue (or a combination of them) effect BUT what about giving me a decent looking film anyway. I even played with the color and contrast gamma setting trying to better be able to see the movie. I wish everything would just look like it was supposed to look instead of being so artsy fartsy.
Old 1st August 2017, 20:13   #26335  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I wish everything would just look like it was supposed to look instead of being so artsy fartsy.
You very well know that it is a director's choice as to how the final presentation will look on the screen.

As for strobing, again that it up to the director and the director of photography as to what shutter speed will be used. You can get a strobe effect with film cameras as well. Again, by setting the shutter speed.
Old 1st August 2017, 21:21   #26336  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
@ MrVideo RE: Something wrong with using available sun light when outside? Besides, you can't "film" with digital cameras. I've never found a way to put film in them. In any event, how can detail be lost?

No I think good old sunlight is the way to go but I was specifically talking about all the films (IE: I meant that in a general way not literally "filmed" with film.) that want to use something like candle light when shooting a scene. I REALLY hate the strobing effect and the lack of any detail. Don't even get me started with the shaky cam cuts using what appears to be a low resolution handicam. I am also pissed when I watch something like Lost City of Z and the color grading has robbed even most of the "probably" gorgeous outdoor shots of the amazon into a green washed out mess. Then all the interior shots were so low light there wasn't a lot of details of what was some probably pretty good looking set pieces. I get they the director and photographer were going for a "French painter Claude Lorrain was an aesthetic influence on the film's design. Khondji said he purposely designed mythical images of skies that Lorrain may have painted that are filled with gold, red, and blue (or a combination of them) effect BUT what about giving me a decent looking film anyway. I even played with the color and contrast gamma setting trying to better be able to see the movie. I wish everything would just look like it was supposed to look instead of being so artsy fartsy.
I feel you on this one...

Now, Mr. Video... we all KNOW that the director, etc., can do anything they want. C'mon Bro, that's kind of stating the obvious... But, when they happen to choose to do something with the aesthetics that a person really doesn't like, well, that is what the fellow above is talking about.

For example, the 'nice' Dutch fellow who gave us 'THE HUMAN CENTIPEDE' clearly chose to portray what some of us would find quite disgusting. So, just blindly saying, 'well, he's the director and can do what he wants', is all good and true. BUT... as the fellow above says, we don't HAVE to like it!
Old 1st August 2017, 22:49   #26337  |  Link
bryrabknowles

Running into an issue with 10-bit x264 files (mkvs won't even import, ts files are imported). BD_Rebuilder isn't recognizing them as 10 bit when I try to encode them as Blurays - instead, if the disc size selected is larger than the file I imported, it just remuxes.
bryrabknowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 23:05   #26338  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryrabknowles View Post
Running into an issue with 10-bit x264 files (mkvs won't even import, ts files are imported). BD_Rebuilder isn't recognizing them as 10 bit when I try to encode them as Blurays - instead, if the disc size selected is larger than the file I imported, it just remuxes.
The HD blu-ray standard doesn't support 10 bit. A quote from an example article (there are lots you can find with a search):
Quote:
Neither broadcast HDTV nor Blu-ray support deep color. If a studio released a movie on Blu-ray with 10-bit color, that disc wouldn't work on any existing player.
That changes with UHD blu-ray (which isn't currently supported by BD-RB or its supporting software).

Last edited by jdobbs; 1st August 2017 at 23:11.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 01:48   #26339  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
BUT... as the fellow above says, we don't HAVE to like it!
True, you can easily dislike the result. You can also not bother going to a movie presentation from a director that you know produces product that you do not like.

You can also go on IMDB and write a negative review.
Old 2nd August 2017, 02:57   #26340  |  Link
bryrabknowles

Quote:
The HD blu-ray standard doesn't support 10 bit. A quote from an example article (there are lots you can find with a search): That changes with UHD blu-ray (which isn't currently supported by BD-RB or its supporting software).
I think i may have said it wrong

I know that 10 bit isn't supported for bluray.

What I am trying to do is convert a 10-bit mkv (or .ts) to an 8- bit bluray.

BDRB recognizes the file as AVC encoded. The file is 9.22 GB, Hi10P Level 5.0

When setting BDRB to fit a BD25, the program chooses to keep the original video (even though it isn't BD-Compliant).
bryrabknowles is offline   Reply With Quote