Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 1st October 2017, 21:24   #381  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

I wanted to see your settings but settings.bin doesnt work for me, is there something wrong?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 21:28   #382  |  Link
Asmodian

Did you reset to defaults before copying it into madVR's directory?
Old 1st October 2017, 22:31   #383  |  Link
dvd1

for low quality source in upscaling refinement
is that okay?

dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 22:40   #384  |  Link
huhn

if you like it yes.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 22:53   #385  |  Link
Asmodian

Those are reasonable settings for lower quality content, I might use something like that.

But really, as huhn said, if you like how it looks it is correct. I change what I use for all sorts of reasons and there are always sources or even displays that look better with weird options.

Trust your eyes, especially true with that page.
Old 1st October 2017, 23:17   #386  |  Link
dvd1

I just like that, only rendering is 38ms, is not it high?
how can I lower it without having negative reflections on the obtained images?

Last edited by dvd1; 1st October 2017 at 23:20.
Old 1st October 2017, 23:23   #387  |  Link
Asmodian

As I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
To lower the rendering time I suggest you set "activate doubling / quadrupling..." to 4.0x for quadrupling.
Old 1st October 2017, 23:25   #388  |  Link
nussman

i.e. set NGU chroma doubling to medium and test if you see any differences.
This whole madVR thing will not work for you if you keep on asking without testing yourself.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2017, 23:28   #389  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
As I said:
how should i do it?
Old 1st October 2017, 23:35   #390  |  Link
Asmodian

Old 27th October 2017, 03:09   #391  |  Link
nsnhd

I'm playing around with NGU options and see that there are NGU Soft/Standards/Sharp, each of them comes with qualities Low/Medium/High/Very High.
So, I wonder what exactly the differences applied for them, eg. between NGU Sharp/Low and NGU Standard/High ? I know experiments count but would like to know the differences but haven't found explanations.

Last edited by nsnhd; 27th October 2017 at 03:13.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2017, 05:15   #392  |  Link
Asmodian

The technical differences in the quality levels are known only to madshi but they are probably something like number of neurons used, a pure speed v.s. quality trade-off. The quality levels don't really change the sharpness, they change the precision of the predictions.

The differences between Soft, Standard, Sharp, and AA are differences in the algorithms themselves, for example Sharp is very sharp at all quality levels and AA is softer and anti-aliases well at all quality levels. Normal and Soft are simply less sharp versions of the Sharp algorithm while AA behaves slightly differently. AA does not have a direct quadrupling mode and shifts the image very slightly up and to the left. Performance is similar between them all, with the exception that direct quadrupling is faster than doubling twice.
Old 27th October 2017, 05:45   #393  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
The technical differences in the quality levels are known only to madshi but they are probably something like number of neurons used, a pure speed v.s. quality trade-off. The quality levels don't really change the sharpness, they change the precision of the predictions.

The differences between Soft, Standard, Sharp, and AA are differences in the algorithms themselves, for example Sharp is very sharp at all quality levels and AA is softer and anti-aliases well at all quality levels. Normal and Soft are simply less sharp versions of the Sharp algorithm while AA behaves slightly differently. AA does not have a direct quadrupling mode and shifts the image very slightly up and to the left. Performance is similar between them all, with the exception that direct quadrupling is faster than doubling twice.
Thanks, so to make it simple if sharp image is my taste, I'll ignore others and just use NGU Sharp with highest possible quality level that my GPU can deal with ?
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2017, 05:59   #394  |  Link
Asmodian

Exactly, simply pick an algorithm you like and then tune quality to account for GPU or different resolutions.
Old 21st November 2017, 20:04   #395  |  Link
dRumMzZ

3D format “top-and-bottom” not working (maybe?)

Hello everyone,
I hope this is the most appropriate thread for my problem, if it isn't please direct me to the right place.
I'm trying to use madVR in order to play a Blu-Ray movie with the "top-and-bottom" option (I was following this tutorial). I've tried using different versions and settings but nothing changes, it always plays as if madVR's settings are taking no effect.

I am using a laptop and I noticed that in my monitor's device info, the 3d formats is set to none. Is it supposed to be like that?
Also, is the tutorial missing something or am I just not doing something right?

Thank you
dRumMzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 01:55   #396  |  Link
huhn

the totorial is for VR headset so are you using a VR headset?
madVr needs 3D BDs as a source to convert them to any other 3D format.
your end device needs to support 3D to get well 3D.
Quote:
Now, go to the “External Filters” section and click the “Add Filter” button. You will want to add five filters. Make sure that each one’s priority level is set to “Prefer”, so they over-ride the default internal filters:
1. LAV Audio Decoder
2. LAV Splitter
3. LAV Splitter Source
4. LAV Video Decoder
5. madVR
Quote:
Under the “general settings” section, I also tweaked a couple of things. In particular, I enabled windowed overlay, as well as the checkbox for using Direct3D 11 for presentation.
meanwhile on the internet...
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:35   #397  |  Link
dRumMzZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the totorial is for VR headset so are you using a VR headset?
madVr needs 3D BDs as a source to convert them to any other 3D format.
your end device needs to support 3D to get well 3D.
Yes, a rift.
Sorry if this is too stupid but, what do you mean by "support 3D", though? Is that what the "3D formats" option means?
Do I need a 3D-capable monitor? If so, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the tutorial? Also, the monitor identified in the tutorial does not seem to be capable of it, hence my confusion (regarding the "3d formats" option).

Quote:
Under the “general settings” section, I also tweaked a couple of things. In particular, I enabled windowed overlay, as well as the checkbox for using Direct3D 11 for presentation.
I have also tried using these settings on and off, I can provide a screenshot later if you need.
Old 22nd November 2017, 13:08   #398  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRumMzZ View Post
Yes, a rift.
Sorry if this is too stupid but, what do you mean by "support 3D", though? Is that what the "3D formats" option means?
Do I need a 3D-capable monitor? If so, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the tutorial? Also, the monitor identified in the tutorial does not seem to be capable of it, hence my confusion (regarding the "3d formats" option).
ok doesn't look complicated at all. a lot of the setting he is setting up make absolutely no sense... just saying.
your rift support Top bottom 3D and some other formats the 3D support is given kind of at least.
the firs thing you need to do is getting top bottom on the display ignore the rift for now.

deinstall these freaking codec packs and every else related to directshow.
install MPC-hc.
install madVR.
option -> output -> set madVR as the video renderer
go to internal filter now and disable all (right clock disable all filter)
install lavfilter
when you install lavfilter you need to install the software intel 3D decoder. by default this is not done. unlike the tutorial DXVA should not work or well it is simply not used. use the default lavfilter settings and you should be fine.
now you have to play a frame packed 3D file or with other words a BD remux/decrypted disc you can find a sample here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples .
SBS encodes will not work.
for the madVR settings try the defaults with top bottom 3D and enable 3D playback.
if you play a 3D file and make me a screen with the madVR OSD (control+j) i can see what is wrong.

after this works you have to get this somehow some way into the rift with an virtual desktop or what ever and what else you find in that guide.
Quote:
I have also tried using these settings on and off, I can provide a screenshot later if you need.
it's not important it just why...

and think about a new thread in software players.
not sure if a user with a rift and madVR knowledge will look into the madVR option explained thread.
Old 23rd November 2017, 22:47   #399  |  Link
dRumMzZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
deinstall these freaking codec packs and every else related to directshow.
install MPC-hc.
install madVR.
option -> output -> set madVR as the video renderer
go to internal filter now and disable all (right clock disable all filter)
install lavfilter
when you install lavfilter you need to install the software intel 3D decoder. by default this is not done. unlike the tutorial DXVA should not work or well it is simply not used. use the default lavfilter settings and you should be fine.
Tried following this but I was a bit lost on the Intel decoder part. What is it exactly? I see an "IntelQuickSyncDecoder.dll" inside my "MPC-HC/LAVFilters64" folder.
Now I'm getting "cannot render file", probably messed up somewhere.
Also, I noticed on the madVR's thread people complaining about Nvidia drivers messing up their setups. Could that be my main problem?
Old 23rd November 2017, 23:21   #400  |  Link
huhn

is about HDR.

this decoder is needed: https://abload.de/img/mvcdecodermdahd.png