Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th June 2011, 18:22   #8081  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker1000 View Post
thanks for taking the time to write this explanation
i have downloaded lavfilters0.28 and will try tonight to get it working
No problem at all. If you have any issues, just shoot me a PM so we don't take up more space in this thread. I can definitely help you get it setup and configured if you have issues.

@madshi, man, I didn't even get to try 0.63 yet and now you've released a new one! Thanks!!
Old 7th June 2011, 18:29   #8082  |  Link
n3w813

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
First of all you may want to re-create your preferred video output mode as a custom mode, because with current NVidia drivers that's the only way to force the driver to output proper 0-255 levels. Once you've done that, get yourself one of those cheap calibration DVDs, or download the free AVSForum calibration disc. With these discs you should be able to double check whether you have to set madVR to 0-255 or 16-235 output. Since your display is a TV, it will *probably* want TV levels, but better double check with a calibration DVD.
Thanks for the reply Madshi.

One more question, so once I create the custom resolution in the Nvidia drivers, Windows desktop will be outputting 0-255 to HDMI. In Madvr, I should select to output PC levels, which will expand the default TV levels of the videos from 16-235 to 0-255. Then on the TV, I should set the RGB Dynamic Range option to Full (instead of Limited)?

If I do this, can I assume....
-BTB/WTW information is lost when MadVR expands the levels from TV > PC
-My TV will most likely take the full RGB 0-255 info and convert back to 16-235

n3w813
n3w813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 18:44   #8083  |  Link
Hprd

Well v64 didn't fix my problem. Although if i were you, i wouldn't worry about it for now, as i found a workaround for it, it's just that i have to enable some things (check run presentation in seperate thread, and flush and wait (sleep) after copy to backbuffer on top of overshoot latency) for when playing stuff back on 48/59hz otherwise it could lead to massive frame drops on 24/30hz (or it did on previous versions, i'll try testing more later to see if it still does, so far in somewhat limited playback testing, it was fine.).
Hprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 19:12   #8084  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w813 View Post
In Madvr, I should select to output PC levels, which will expand the default TV levels of the videos from 16-235 to 0-255. Then on the TV, I should set the RGB Dynamic Range option to Full (instead of Limited)?
Can't say, just try what looks better. Of course your TV setting should match the madVR setting.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 19:19   #8085  |  Link
noee

Quote:
* seekbar is now shown only if mouse cursor is on playback monitor
* when the PC is locked (Windows Key + L) madVR now pauses playback
* fixed: D3D11 playback on secondary monitor could result in window size bug
confirmed! thx.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 19:38   #8086  |  Link
tschi

Hi Madshi Thank for the new version.
Where the gamut measurements are stored ?
I deleted madVR folder, and re install all, but, there is still my gamut measurement, I guess the values are stored somewhere else ?
Yesterday, I test 0.62 w/o any issue, and remake a new calibration. Today that I mistook when I put my new gamut values, and now I had very very bad gamut correction even if I put corrected gamut measures. I would like to re initialize all madvr information. Thanks

edit, I have also a question : in colorHCFR I have XYZ and xyz values, I think XYZ in madVR is xyz in colorHCFR (my red x= 0.653 <-> X=26.219) Am I wrong ?

Last edited by tschi; 7th June 2011 at 20:01.
tschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 20:23   #8087  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschi View Post
I deleted madVR folder, and re install all, but, there is still my gamut measurement, I guess the values are stored somewhere else ?
Yesterday, I test 0.62 w/o any issue, and remake a new calibration. Today that I mistook when I put my new gamut values, and now I had very very bad gamut correction even if I put corrected gamut measures. I would like to re initialize all madvr information.
They're stored both in "settings.bin" and in the registry. Simply double click "restore default settings.bat" to restore the default settings.

Quote:
in colorHCFR I have XYZ and xyz values, I think XYZ in madVR is xyz in colorHCFR (my red x= 0.653 <-> X=26.219) Am I wrong ?
Not sure, that's a question for yesgrey to ask.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:28   #8088  |  Link
alph@
Replicant

very good build madshi, the speed of rendering is improving
(W7 64, ati 5660)
to have an idea,what the time of rendering and presentation on average.
alph@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 20:33   #8089  |  Link
tschi

ok thanks, I didn't see "restore default settings.bat" (missing in 0.64)
tschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 20:42   #8090  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
madVR v0.64 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: one more display mode changer bug
* added support for switching to 59i/60i display mode for 59p/60p content
Hi madshi, this build is better than 0.63, but it's very similar as 0.62. I could find two main differences.

One was that 1080i29 on 0.64 works similarly as 1080i59 on 0.62, meaning that when 1080p24, 1080p50 and 1080i29 are on the list, my display switches to 1080p24 with 60p content.

The other difference is that 1080i29 when is alone in the options, does switch to 1080i29 for 60p content (whereas with 0.62, 1080i59 didn't do anything with 60p content)

Here's the two logs. "Bad" is for when it changes to 1080p24.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CDB8QL75

Another thing, 1080i59 doesn't work at all now, just like with 0.63. It was working with 0.62 (for 60i/30p content) if you recall from my log, don't know if you missed it cause I posted it right after you had posted 0.63. With both 0.63 and 0.64, if I add it, it disables the switch even if I also have 1080i29 in the options.

Last edited by Andy o; 7th June 2011 at 20:46.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 20:54   #8091  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alph@ View Post
to have an idea,what the time of rendering and presentation on average.
Is that a question? Rendering and presentation times are very dependent on the movie and especially the GPU. So I can't give you any average times.

Quote:
ok thanks, I didn't see "restore default settings.bat" (missing in 0.64)
Argh, you're right. I've just re-uploaded v0.64, this time with the "restore default settings.bat".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Hi madshi, this build is better than 0.63, but it's very similar as 0.62. I could find two main differences.

One was that 1080i29 on 0.64 works similarly as 1080i59 on 0.62, meaning that when 1080p24, 1080p50 and 1080i29 are on the list, my display switches to 1080p24 with 60p content.

The other difference is that 1080i29 when is alone in the options, does switch to 1080i29 for 60p content (whereas with 0.62, 1080i59 didn't do anything with 60p content)
Argh, how stupid can I be? The "bad" log clearly shows that madVR is still not doing things correctly. Hopefully I'll have that *finally* fixed with v0.65. Sorry for taking so long...

Quote:
Another thing, 1080i59 doesn't work at all now, just like with 0.63. It was working with 0.62 (for 60i/30p content) if you recall from my log, don't know if you missed it cause I posted it right after you had posted 0.63. With both 0.63 and 0.64, if I add it, it disables the switch even if I also have 1080i29 in the options.
Could you use a different file host next time, if possible? filesonic is awful. I have to wait 13 minutes to get this log.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:58   #8092  |  Link
Andy o

No prob, it's not really a big problem since there's not much 60p content. Yeah sorry about filesonic, I just figured out about the wait time, so I re-uploaded to megaupload. Is there one you prefer? I did filesonic cause most of the others I tried had popups and some scam donwload links.

Here's the 0.62 log where 1080i59 was working for 30p/59i content.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UC2ESXF0

Last edited by Andy o; 7th June 2011 at 21:04.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:04   #8093  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

People should use multiupload more, then everyone can pick their favorite download place.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:11   #8094  |  Link
Andy o

right, noted. megaupload doesn't seem to have a one file per xx time limit, maybe just bandwidth limit, which is OK for this stuff I guess.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:13   #8095  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Is there one you prefer?
Any which doesn't make me wait.

Quote:
Here's the 0.62 log where 1080i59 was working for 30p/59i content.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UC2ESXF0
Ah yes, due to a bug in v0.62 madVR actually switched to 1080i29 although you specified 1080i59. v0.64 does not do that, anymore. The simple thing to learn from this log is that 1080i59 definitely doesn't work.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:21   #8096  |  Link
iSunrise

Thanks for 0.64 madshi.

I did some tests switching between source primaries and color matrixes and noticed that when the OSD appears there´s an "(auto detect)" shown after BT.709.

Does this mean that madVR "auto-detected" both the source primaries and the color matrix from the current playing file or are you actually applying some rules now, which assume what is correct?

I´m asking since no matter what videos or movies I play, it always shows "BT.709 (auto detect)" for both the source primaries and the color matrix, even when playing SD content (NTSC or PAL).

Last edited by iSunrise; 7th June 2011 at 21:24.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 21:37   #8097  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
I did some tests switching between source primaries and color matrixes and noticed that when the OSD appears there´s an "(auto detect)" shown after BT.709.

Does this mean that madVR "auto-detected" both the source primaries and the color matrix from the current playing file or are you actually applying some rules now, which assume what is correct?

I´m asking since no matter what videos or movies I play, it always shows "BT.709 (auto detect)" for both the source primaries and the color matrix, even when playing SD content (NTSC or PAL).
Seems that the first detection is correct, but then every video afterwards reuses the first detection. If you restart the media player, the first detection after that will be correct again. Will be fixed in the next build.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:58   #8098  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
There is indeed a REC.709 gamut, but to avoid confusion it's better to call it HDTV.

OTOH, there is no REC.601 gamut...NTSC SD is always using SMPTE-C.

As you can see in this animated gif, sRGB/REC.709/HDTV are several names for the very same gamut...and "PAL" should really read "EBU". There's no "PAL" gamut per se.
Quote:
@yesgrey?
Yes, the real name of the primaries set is not PAL, but I still think we should call it PAL. Everybody knows what is PAL, but very few know what is EBU. Furthermore, even DVDs use the word PAL, where to be more exact the word PAL should be used only for analog broadcast... and if PAL use those primaries, there's nothing wrong in naming them like that.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 22:24   #8099  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.65 released

Code:
* fixed: decode matrix + source primaries detection only worked once
* fixed: yet another bug in the automatic display changer
I hope that the display mode changer will now finally work. It seems that GPUs require modes to be named 1080i29 instead of 1080i59. I have removed matching support for 1080i59 now. Hopefully that won't break anything.

Ok, probably last version for a couple of days.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:28   #8100  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

well, European BD's are known/said to use the EBU gamut(even though they're 23.976)...they're not quite "PAL"

anyway, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a thread about calibration related to mVR, not technically related to yCMS...simply about discussing how to get the most out of mVR for HTPC purposes. I already told madshi that I would be happy to make a FAQ about that: what's the best/most affordable colorimeter, where to get the gamut coordinates, what to aim for, etc etc.

I believe there isn't much interest in gamut mapping atm because most ppl dunno what they're missing...it's like Reclock, once you've watched a movie in 24.000fps in the right gamut: hell breaks loose

Dumbing down "EBU Tech. 3213" to "PAL" is not going to help anyone IMHO. A proper FAQ w/ the right terms will be about learning ppl how to fish, more than anything else.

Anyway, I plan on creating a 100MB ramdisk (again) to host the new LUT..I want to leave the gamut on SMPTE-C and the decoding matrix on BT.709. I guess these options will be remembered? I'll manually switch to HDTV when need be(I don't really care for EBU, as I seldom watch european stuff). I will keep the "settings.bin" read only so it'll always revert to SMPTE-C when I close the player...hopefully mVR won't try reading the registry.

I guess my last problem is that I feed PC levels to mVR?! But I'll try some test patterns to ensure that everything's cool
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling