Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th February 2012, 18:58   #12081  |  Link
kerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
It's recommended to enable it and leave it at 16-235, but with madVR this will only affect DXVA2 deinterlaced content. If you keep it disabled, in my experience there's no telling what the driver will do by default, and can change with different drivers and maybe different players.

All those other video processing options, if they work they do only when deinterlacing as well, like nevcairiel said above, and most of us disable them.
Umm... I thought those CCC options didnt affect to madVR at all, looking at its feature on first post: (madVR) "bypasses graphics card's video (damage) algorithms"

I have my tv setted up for Full RGB (0-255); so, if I enable Dynamic Range I should check 0-255 I guess, right?

Anyway, you say dynamic range and all those other video options don't affect madVR when playing progressive material, right?

Last edited by kerman; 11th February 2012 at 19:02.
kerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 19:38   #12082  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Deinterlacing will most likely activate your video cards post-processing. Just make sure everything is turned off in the video cards control panel.
guess you were right. switched off some video settings and now colours remain the same no matter if deinterlacing is activated or not.
Old 11th February 2012, 21:14   #12083  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
All those other video processing options, if they work they do only when deinterlacing as well, like nevcairiel said above, and most of us disable them.
+ double check in DXVAChecker.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 21:41   #12084  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerman View Post
Umm... I thought those CCC options didnt affect to madVR at all, looking at its feature on first post: (madVR) "bypasses graphics card's video (damage) algorithms"
Not for DXVA deinterlacing, which is a new-ish feature.

Quote:
I have my tv setted up for Full RGB (0-255); so, if I enable Dynamic Range I should check 0-255 I guess, right?
They're different things. You should check 16-235 cause if so madVR will do the expansion to 0-255 and that's what you want. If you select 0-255 in dynamic range, then the driver does the expansion, I think.

Quote:
Anyway, you say dynamic range and all those other video options don't affect madVR when playing progressive material, right?
Yes.
Old 11th February 2012, 22:55   #12085  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
guess you were right. switched off some video settings and now colours remain the same no matter if deinterlacing is activated or not.
ok, not quite. those changes didnt seem to have any effect. what actually has an effect is whether CCC has been started or not. I dont have CCC in windows startup and therefore I always have this difference in levels when using madvr deinterlacing. but as soon as I start CCC, this difference is gone.

any ideas why this is?
Old 12th February 2012, 03:02   #12086  |  Link
Andy o

I think without CCC it's reverting to default settings. Any reason you're not running it? You can probably change defaults and valuse with DXVA Checker too.
Old 12th February 2012, 03:29   #12087  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

because it takes longer to startup and takes up memory. and of course I wasnt aware that running it was needed in case you'd want to have any changes applied.
Old 12th February 2012, 03:42   #12088  |  Link
Andy o

I long found out that it's just not worth to disable it, especially since Win Vista/7 have much better RAM management, and given we easily have 4GB RAM nowadays, what it uses is not really much. With XP I used to disable all control panels, sound too.
Old 12th February 2012, 05:08   #12089  |  Link
JarrettH

- Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T switches between video (DXVA) and film (IVTC) content type

Should IVTC be disabled in the nvidia control panel?
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 07:22   #12090  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

With my DVI+HDMI setup I have to switch Pixel Format from YCbCr to FullRGB every time I'm changing refresh rate to 24 or 50. Only 60 is stiked with FullRGB by default. Whats why I don't use auto switches or disable CCC at all.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 07:34   #12091  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post

madVR does a software IVTC. so it doesn't matter.

i could be wrong but i think that option is supposed to apply to DXVA2 or something. no clue.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 15:30   #12092  |  Link
Budtz

What are the best Nividia Control Panel settings to go along with madvr? There seems to be less video-settings then with ATI drivers. There are some settings thou but at default they are set to let the videoplayer decide. Should everything just be left at default? this is with the latest non-beta 285.62 drivers
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 15:36   #12093  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

NVIDIAs default settings are OK, they don't activate all processing by default like ATI does.
Old 12th February 2012, 16:17   #12094  |  Link
GrandeBoma

I would love to get some help from experts here. I own a colorimeter and these are the results I obtained with HCFR.

red Yxy 38.028, 0.627, 0.348
green Yxy 106.835, 0.284, 0.612
blue Yxy 13.969, 0.148, 0.075
white Yxy 169.915, 0.309, 0.326

the gamma is already flat so I do not need to correct it

I tried to make a 3dlut file with madvr ycms utility but it downloads the utility and yields an error

I tried to make a 3dlut using ycms command line and this config file

# Set input format
Input_Format HD YCbCr 8

# Set output format
Output_Format HD RGB_PC 16

Gamut_Measurements 1

38.028, 0.627, 0.348
106.835, 0.284, 0.612
13.969, 0.148, 0.075
169.915, 0.309, 0.326

madvr refuses to use this file because the input format is incorrect. Needless to say it is not true as I am watching blu.rays with jriver ROHQ.

Can anybody explain me what is the problem and show me how to create 3dlut files properly please?
GrandeBoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 18:06   #12095  |  Link
RBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

How can I play this with madVR? YouTube doesn't seem to offer a way for me to download this video?
My bad. Here is a sample for you.

Quote:
Your queue sizes are quite high. Please try to set the GPU queue size to a lower value. E.g. try 8 or even 6. Maybe that helps?
Thank you, that was a sound advice. I've unchecked "adjust queue sizes to GPU RAM size" box and set GPU queue to 8 as you have suggested and now the playback is fine. It seems that madVR queue auto adjustment doesn't work properly on 4k video, it just utilizes a huge amount of gpu RAM. The biggest result I had was about 1 gig on my 470gtx. Hope you'll fix it in the next build. And again, thank you.
RBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 08:59   #12096  |  Link
buyukbang

I've the same or similar problem on my Mac Mini 2011 with integrated Intel HD3000 graphic card (no other card, only intel). When I choose MadVR renderer, players (tried both MPC HC and Potplayer) freeze on the startup, the sound is coming but there is not video at all. The only thing I can do is to killing the player from the task manager. I can reach tray menu, and I tried all the options available but none of them helped to solve this problem.

Just as a note, I also have also a notebook with Nvidia graphic card which I can use MadVR without no problem without any problem. So I assume that this problem specific to Intel graphic cards or Macs with Intel graphic cards?

Quote:
Unfortunately my sister is gone for many months, and with her the laptop with shared GPU. So I don't have any way to test & fix this problem at the moment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouArePro
Yes my 13" inch 2010 model macbook pro's gpu is integrated into the cpu with shared memory. However, it used to work fine with windows XP professional 32 bit on my bootcamp before changing to windows 7 ultimate 32bit now.
buyukbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 09:24   #12097  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147
Maybe stupid question but does catalyst A.I. affect madVR's PQ???

Quote:
Don't know. Not sure what A.I. does exactly.
A.I. affects texture filtering quality.

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/amd-...ilterqualitaet

So???

Last edited by Damien147; 13th February 2012 at 09:31.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 10:14   #12098  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimaflarex View Post
As I said in my post, "Aero disabled".
Oh, had missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimaflarex View Post
Indeed, the settings dialog allow up to 8, it just ignores any value above 3.
The OSD on exclusive mode and windowed shows something like 2-3/3 backbuffers.
Switching back to windowed mode also shows the same issue.
Ok, thanks, will have a look at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Cosmetic bug:
If the ffmpeg decoders aren't present, madVR options will still default to enabling the H.264 and MPEG2 decoder. It should ideally uncheck and grey out those options.
Kinda true. The settings dialog is also capable of editing the settings of other machines in the LAN (if you allow madVR to access the LAN). For other machines madVR doesn't know whether the decoder dlls are available or not. Well, I'll check if I can gray these settings out locally, at least, but I'm not sure right now if the settings dialog even knows whether the edited settings are local or not.

Quote:
Suggestion:
If the ffmpeg decoders aren't present during filter registration, then don't include the H264/MPEG2/VC-1 mediatypes.
Makes sense, will do.

Quote:
Feature request:
Currently it is only possible to access the settings when there is an active instance of madVR. Any plans to add an offline configuration mode?
This is on my to do list. I'd like to have this feature myself, just didn't get around implementing it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
For selecting deinterlacement ON/OFF and video/film mode it might be cool to add a translucent type of toggle button in the osd that one could simply click to change stuff as an alternative to the tediousness of long hotkey activation.
Yeah, it would be cool. Maybe for v2.0...

Quote:
But regardless of audio/video clock deviation, 23.976 material running on 23.973Hz video signal (thats what madVR says at statics on display) should produce a dropped frame every 6min aprox.
No, that's not correct. You're missing the fact that the video refresh rate is measured based on the system clock, while the DirectShow graph is synced to the audio hardware clock. The audio hardware clock always deviates slightly from the system clock. So the number of dropped/repeated frames also depends on how much the audio clock deviates from the system clock.

Just ignore the "xxx drops per xxx" estimate which madVR lists in the OSD. The only thing that really counts is the number of real frame drops/repeats you get.

Quote:
Yesterday watched a full movie with 0 dropped frames at the end. Today, on another one 25 dropped frames!!
Same movie frame rate, same display refresh rate? I'd suggest to try to find out why you got those 25 frame drops. First step would be to check whether the first movie always ends up with 0 frame drops while the other one always ends up with 25 frame drops. Or maybe it's random? In any case, check the madVR OSD to see which queues are getting empty when the frame drops occur and which queues stay full and report back here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
the lipsync bug was obviously not madvr related, it rather seems to be related to my monitor taking too long to change the display mode and JRiver by default not waiting long enough to start the audio (fixed with the "play silence" setting). In MPC the problem never happened.
But did v0.79 behave differently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
With madVr I can't play FRAPS video (no matter if YV12 or RGB), it doesn't show any image.
Tested with MPC HC and its internal decoder and also LAV.
Can you upload a small sample, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
ok, not quite. those changes didnt seem to have any effect. what actually has an effect is whether CCC has been started or not. I dont have CCC in windows startup and therefore I always have this difference in levels when using madvr deinterlacing. but as soon as I start CCC, this difference is gone.

any ideas why this is?
Stupid drivers? There isn't really much I can do about it, unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post

Depends. If you always switch madVR to film mode when watching movies then you can disable IVTC in the NVidia control panel. If you sometimes stick to video mode even when watching movies, then I'd suggest to keep IVTC enabled in the NVidia control panel. In the end it doesn't really harm to have it enabled, I guess. It might slightly slow your GPU down if you have native video content (sports, music concerts) but I'm not sure if you would ever notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeBoma View Post
I would love to get some help from experts here. I own a colorimeter and these are the results I obtained with HCFR.

I tried to make a 3dlut file with madvr ycms utility but it downloads the utility and yields an error
What error exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeBoma View Post
I tried to make a 3dlut using ycms command line and this config file
I don't remember the exact parameters required by madVR from the top of my head. It'd be much easier if you could get the madVR yCMS utility to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyukbang View Post
I've the same or similar problem on my Mac Mini 2011 with integrated Intel HD3000 graphic card (no other card, only intel). When I choose MadVR renderer, players (tried both MPC HC and Potplayer) freeze on the startup, the sound is coming but there is not video at all. The only thing I can do is to killing the player from the task manager.
Have you installed proper drivers for your GPU? Try the latest drivers from Intel's homepage. If that doesn't help you could create a debug log and upload it somewhere for me to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
A.I. affects texture filtering quality.

So???
Probably no effect on madVR, but I can't say for sure. You can test this yourself rather easily: Load an SD video, pause it, seek to a specific chapter, take a screenshot. Close the media player. Toggle the A.I. setting. Repeat the above to create a second screenshot. Now finally compare the screenshots to see if there's any difference. Please note that if you have dithering enabled, the screenshots will never be bit perfect. If you want to test for bit perfection, you need to disable dithering.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 10:30   #12099  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Probably no effect on madVR, but I can't say for sure. You can test this yourself rather easily: Load an SD video, pause it, seek to a specific chapter, take a screenshot. Close the media player. Toggle the A.I. setting. Repeat the above to create a second screenshot. Now finally compare the screenshots to see if there's any difference. Please note that if you have dithering enabled, the screenshots will never be bit perfect. If you want to test for bit perfection, you need to disable dithering.
Ok,thank you!
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 10:40   #12100  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

For those of you who have problems with v0.80, with v0.79 working just fine for you, here are a couple of test builds:

http://madshi.net/madVR80tests.rar

Please let me know which of these test builds work fine for you and which don't. Basically there are 3 changes in v0.80 which could eventually cause the problem for you, so these test builds just test every possible combination of these 3 changes.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling