Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 27th June 2016, 05:17   #1  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Windows vs linux - Audio Quality

I tried Windows 10 and Linux(Ubuntu 16.04 LTS ) both in same computer. I marked that Audio quality of linux is better then windows! How ?
ps: i use last version for both
Old 27th June 2016, 08:35   #2  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Perhaps one has different equalization that you like better. Or possibly Linux is just louder than Windows by default (humans tend to think louder is better).
Old 21st July 2016, 11:28   #3  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
Perhaps one has different equalization that you like better. Or possibly Linux is just louder than Windows by default (humans tend to think louder is better).
no i mean better not louder
Old 21st July 2016, 15:42   #4  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
no i mean better not louder
Define "better". What exactly is "better"? Does it sound richer or more dynamic in Linux than on Windows? Which tools did you use for coming to the "better in Linux" conclusion?
Old 21st July 2016, 19:52   #5  |  Link
johnmeyer

Whatever differences you are hearing, they are not directly the result of running Linux or Windows. Instead, the "quality" is most likely the result of both the application (media player) you are using, as well as the settings you have created in the sound card driver. There are a huge number of settings that you can change, and without any information on the settings you are using, it is impossible to answer your question.

In Windows, you go to the Control Panel, find the applet for your audio driver or sound card, and change the settings. For my Creative Labs Ensoniq card, in Windows, I have at least six tabs in the dialog box which controls the sound card, and each tab has at least half a dozen settings. Many of these completely and totally change the nature of the sound which, depending on your tastes, would make the audio sound "better" or "worse."

You then find the "Options" or "Preferences" dialog for your media player, and look at the settings there especially, as others have already said, at the EQ settings.

So, if you can be more precise about what the differences are (is there more treble, or more bass, for instance), and describe specifically why you like one vs. the other, you might get some more replies.

Last edited by johnmeyer; 21st July 2016 at 19:53. Reason: typo
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 16:55   #6  |  Link
pandy

it may be true as Linux may have more controllable signal path where Windows create more abstract approach - at some point it may involve unwanted requantization that may introduce distortion if not properly post-processed.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, linux, quality, sound, windows