Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th August 2018, 06:48   #51981  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

@ KoKlusz.

Odd, for whatever reason, at 1000 target, using your suggested settings, its way too dark. Are you on the latest firmware?
Old 7th August 2018, 09:09   #51982  |  Link
KoKlusz

Yes.

Do you have dynamic contrast disabled? Are you sure that you using correct black levels? Did you enabled UHD color? What HDMI input label are you using?

Does madVR tonemapping looks darker with specific movie/video, or across the board?
KoKlusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2018, 09:44   #51983  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Yes, yes, yes and PC. And it's across the board at 1000 nits for HDR to SDR.

Must just be my panel. Odd that its fine in HDR mode. At 125 nits, its about the same brightness as HDR passthrough, but with better tone mapping.
Old 7th August 2018, 20:10   #51984  |  Link
mclingo

latest AMD driver looks pretty good to me, certainly on my machine the HDR auto toggle in MADVR is fixed and files are loading in half the time as before on 18.2.2. There were later versions where HDR toggle worked but they were unstable in windows for me (yet to see if this is stable), 18.3.4 was probably the last working HDR toggle driver I could find before this one.

Reds are still blown to hell with 23,976 SDR material though so i still have to leave calibration on in MADVR and calibrate to BT2020 to get a natural picture, suspect there is something in the drivers that AMD havent spotted yet which is pushing the wrong colour space to SDR 24,976 material, HDR is ok, could be they are treating all 23,976 material as HDR if a HDR output device is detected in the stream or something like that.

AMD tell me they are still looking into it...

EDIT - in addition to this, it was mentioned a few pages back that FSE is pretty much on its way out but some people could get 3D to work without it, I certainly cant, it was also mentioned I think some people needed that for HDR, not on mine, works fine. I also tried windowed mode, still no 3D, defo need FSE for 3D on AMD cards i'm sure unless someone know otherwise?

Last edited by mclingo; 7th August 2018 at 20:20.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 06:59   #51985  |  Link
HelmedHorror

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but how do you get madvr to take a screenshot? I notice there's a screenshot settings page, but no information on how to actually take one. It's not in the keyboard shortcut section either...
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 07:32   #51986  |  Link
huhn

by using the screeshoot function of a player.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 07:40   #51987  |  Link
HelmedHorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
by using the screeshoot function of a player.
Is there any way to get it in png quality? Given the sometimes tiny visual trying to be compared, it makes little sense to me to be comparing compressed images.
HelmedHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 07:44   #51988  |  Link
huhn

if the player supports it yes and mpc-hc does.
Old 8th August 2018, 07:50   #51989  |  Link
Msarc

Are there any other solutions for Windows 10 1803 update issues, apart from disabling "Focus Assist"?
Tried both DX9 and DX11 rendering/decoding, updated AMD drivers from 18.4.1 to 18.8.1, switched settings in MadVR - none of it made a difference.

So far, FSE mode is the only way I can get MadVR to work properly after 1803 update, and FSE is kind of a PITA to use.

I added some info to this issue on the bug tracker, but it looks like this is beyond Madshi's control. Thanks, Microsoft.
Msarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 08:41   #51990  |  Link
huhn

can you make a screen of the OSD?
Old 8th August 2018, 10:19   #51991  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msarc View Post
Are there any other solutions for Windows 10 1803 update issues,........t.
I've delayed the move to 1803 for fear of issues, can you list exactly what issues you have?
Old 8th August 2018, 10:38   #51992  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
can you make a screen of the OSD?
This is what I get after running for 15-20 seconds in windowed or fullscreen windowed:

In fullscreen exclusive, there are 0 drops/repeats and the queues are full. Just as I had in windowed mode before Windows v1803 update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
I've delayed the move to 1803 for fear of issues, can you list exactly what issues you have?
Massive frame drops/repeats when not running in fullscreen exclusive mode. Like something is eating up performance, even though CPU/GPU are only about 35%/50% loaded.
There's an issue open on the bug tracker with more details and reports from other users.

Last edited by Msarc; 8th August 2018 at 10:40.
Old 8th August 2018, 10:40   #51993  |  Link
Schwartz

Found an issue yesterday thanks to involuntary internet problems.

When madVR can't connect to the internet (ethernet working, internet offline), it takes several seconds longer to start up and also produces ~6 seconds of black before the video shows properly.

Please put an option somewhere to turn off this connection stuff?

Last edited by Schwartz; 8th August 2018 at 11:17.
Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 10:50   #51994  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msarc View Post
This is what I get after running for 15-20 seconds in windowed or fullscreen windowed:.....//bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=568]an issue open on the bug tracker[/url] with more details and reports from other users.
Thanks, what are your GFX specs, why are you using 60hz playback?
Old 8th August 2018, 11:16   #51995  |  Link
huhn

he is using 60 hz because the file is 60 hz.

it doesn't enter windowed fullscreen and you have a slight composition mismatch is this a custom resolution for a 60 hz monitor?

can you please try it again with madVR retested to defaults settings you can backup your setting.bin before that.
Old 8th August 2018, 11:20   #51996  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Thanks, what are your GFX specs, why are you using 60hz playback?
AMD R9 290
It's just a 60fps video. But if you're wondering if it might be the cause, it isn't. It's the same video I was watching before 1803 without problems. I've also been watching 24fps/30fps videos interpolated to 60fps with BlueskyFRC for the past couple of years and all are suddenly having same issue after 1803 update.

Quote:
it doesn't enter windowed fullscreen and you have a slight composition mismatch is this a custom resolution for a 60 hz monitor?

can you please try it again with madVR retested to defaults settings you can backup your setting.bin before that.
I simply made the screenshot with the window maximized, there's no difference with it being fullscreen.
It's not a custom resolution, it's the native 1920x1200 for my Dell U2412M. Same one I've been using for the last 7-8 years.

I had already tried default MadVR settings. There are no drops/repeats with them, but that's only because there's little processing done by default. As soon as I add things back one at a time (from scratch, not by replacing settings.bin), the issue gradually comes back as well. There isn't one specific setting that causes it - as far as I can tell, all that matters is how much each one impacts performance, because 1803 appears to only allow MadVR to use roughly half of the system's normal performance.

Last edited by Msarc; 8th August 2018 at 11:48.
Old 8th August 2018, 12:35   #51997  |  Link
huhn

can you change the refreshrate to true 60 hz for a test please? it is currently running at 59p.

you changed the queue setings for what ever reason. and seeing a screen with default setting even trhough it works can still help.

does this still happens with windows 7 overlay?
Old 8th August 2018, 12:55   #51998  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

He's correct, 1803 made me reduce ALL my profile settings. I bet only people who pushed their GPU very close to the edge noticed this. If your settings were not very demanding, I bet you wouldn't even notice the switch. I also bet if a person in this scenario had paid attention to their GPU usage before and after they would have seen a huge spike in usage... I have thrown every trick and tweak, including the kitchen sink at this issue to no avail.

Starting to wonder if MS added an ultra hidden crypto miner in the OS to make a few bucks!! LOL :P

Seriously starting to wonder if this was also the cause of my R9 270X to fail (black screen when the GPU goes into a standard resolution, low-def such as safe mode still works)… At least my ancient HD 5770 still works so I can wait for Vega prices to fall or Navi to be released (Polaris sucks for madVR and is therefore not an option)

QB
Old 8th August 2018, 13:33   #51999  |  Link
huhn

i don't see 6 ms as pushing it to the limited.
Old 8th August 2018, 15:22   #52000  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
can you change the refreshrate to true 60 hz for a test please? it is currently running at 59p.
I'm not sure I can, it's the only one available.

Quote:
you changed the queue setings for what ever reason. and seeing a screen with default setting even trhough it works can still help.
Alright, here's after default reset. Don't mind those few drops/repeats shown, they only happened when opening the file and switching to fullscreen, they don't happen during playback.

Quote:
does this still happens with windows 7 overlay?
Yes, turning it on/off makes no difference.

Quote:
i don't see 6 ms as pushing it to the limited.
That's the thing. It shouldn't even be 6 ms. Before 1803 and now in FSE, this file plays at around 10-11 ms, which is when everything works right with no drops.
It's like 1803 no longer allows MadVR to use the system at full power.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling