Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 13th June 2019, 20:29   #101  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Wonkey [EDIT: quick rename from that which once was] , what did you decide on regarding VNC ?

In the past (I aint got it set up currently), I've used TightVNC on WXP (least problematic that I've found on Wnn, together with dfMirage [some kind of window manager with compression),
and on Linux TigerVNC [apparently by same guys as TightVNC], never had much [if any] in the way of problems with that setup.
Same combination (dfMirage is a mirror driver, which as I understand is an efficient way to copy what's on the screen). TigerVNC as a service is great - I use it to provide multiple desktops to multiple users on a single server. But trying to make my default Linux desktop accessible was a nightmare. It couldn't start automatically, it had to be started from the command line, and then it would - usually, but not always - close itself after disconnecting. It was the main reason I went back to Windows - that, and Foxit Reader, which allows you to select columns of text in a PDF and which is very useful to me.

Oh, and don't get me started on using a network-connected scanner/printer...
Old 13th June 2019, 20:31   #102  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yes, AutoIt and AutoHotKey (forked from AutoIt) both automation apps (AutoIt, with massive collection of libraries for all sorts of tasks - No idea about AutoHotKey, not much used it).
Think AutoIt is Windows only (AutoHotKey might be cross platform, not sure, is still open source, whereas AutoIt went closed source, think original reason for fork of AutoHotKey.
Apparently lots of other progs including commercial were using AutoIt code and devs got a bit miffed and so went closed source).

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 20:40   #103  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Cant remember if I had to start TigerVNC manual or not, this the only doc I have saved on using it:- https://www.hiroom2.com/2016/07/08/l...with-vnc-xrdp/
Your sys seems might be a bit more complex than mine was.

EDIT: How do I start VNC Server on boot? [have not read it]
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1209...server-on-boot

EDIT: Earlier today after Doom9 server was down (back online about 11:00AM-12:00AM BST),
I was first on-site, spent about 5-10 minutes all alone, was well spooky.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 13th June 2019 at 21:08.
Old 14th June 2019, 01:08   #104  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
[A mouse is a mouse, what could possibly be so wrong to cause them damn probs].
You'd think so, right? But I very recently learned that trying to install Win7 when you have a mouse plugged in can cause a BSOD.

I spent DAYS trying different things - messing with the BIOS settings, downloading different ISOs, formatting different USB sticks, etc - before I finally figured out that it was the goddamn mouse.
Old 14th June 2019, 01:21   #105  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

You do understand that by mouse, they normally require a plastic thing without much of a tail, and usually dont go "squeak".

EDIT: I do have about 5 or 6 Mouse's from Poundland [where they surprisingly cost £1.00], and they dont work on boot up on some systems, when plugged into specific USB ports.
[on some systems can only boot to USB drive on specific ports, apparently some rodents only work on the motherboard preferred ports (during boot)].

EDIT: Katie, American Pie brings a question to mind, have you ever double clicked your mouse ?

Last edited by StainlessS; 14th June 2019 at 02:53.
Old 18th June 2019, 10:13   #106  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
As for 'losing' W7 - I'll probably keep using it either until I die or switch to a non-M$ OS. The widely spread scare tactics about lack of security of 'expiring' OSs - obviously initiated by M$ so they can sell their new products and echoed by paranoid and dim-witted internet parrots in blogs and forums - don't bother me at all. I have SP1, 4 or 5 post-SP1 security updates and a properly configured firewall. That suits me just fine.
I completely understand what you mean.

Quote:
Only solution I see is to get ISO of 1709 (x86 & x64, the least problematic version in my experience) and go back to that less bloated and
more reliable version. Gonna try one last time to see if update to 1903 is available, then go back.
Will also have to permanenlty fix W10 so that it never attempts to down Featured Updates and so stays on 1709.
Registry hack to stop W10 Featured Updates(only):- https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-blo...-in-windows-10

I still have a 1709 Macrium Relect image of the x86 W10 m/c and I think 1703 for the x64 m/c.
That's what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones1913 View Post
My today update on Manjaro-Linux updated 122 packages (system, kernel and applications), took less than 5 minutes (on a low end pc) and not forced me to reboot the pc afterwards.
Literally the only reason I use Win because of mpc*/lav/madvr.

I always had/have a Linux installed beside of Win at home in the last 20 years, one 12 years old laptop of mine is running Ubuntu 14.04 20/7 in the last 4 years without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Later on Windows NT4 I tried Total Commander but it's still too 'Windozy' for my taste.

In case you're interested, I have been using this for the last 20+ years.
I didn't like FAR on Win but I adore mc on Linux, I couldn't live without it.
For me TC is the best file manager of all time on Windows. Have you known that there's an opensource rewrite of it called Double Commander?
Old 22nd June 2019, 17:57   #107  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10...1903-a-93.html

Attempted W10 1903 forced update with 18362.30.190401-1528.19h1_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTCONSUMER_RET_x64FRE_en-us.esd
(dont know about the other, never tried to force the update with 32 bit version of above file )

And I get this:

Seems that at least one of my 2-in-1 tablet laptop thingies may be updated to 1903 after they figure something out.

This old page on W10 'qualities' is an interesting read(dont know if already posted in this thread):- https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html
And suggests Open Shell as replacement for the no longer developed Classic Shell (is fork of classic shell, open source W7-W10 ~6MB):- https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

and some well scary stuff here:- https://windows.gadgethacks.com/how-...ws-10-0163552/

I'm still tempted to go back to 1709, but just realized that it is now 'out of support' period, so no security updates ... still tempted though, W10 stuff getting a bit terrifying & too much to take.

Last edited by StainlessS; 11th July 2022 at 04:16.
Old 22nd June 2019, 19:49   #108  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
EDIT: Katie, American Pie brings a question to mind, have you ever double clicked your mouse ?
If that is a euphemism, I am unfamiliar with it.
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:43   #109  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Boundary View Post
If that is a euphemism, I am unfamiliar with it.
Goodness no, just a general query about your hardware and software practices (and you know what they say, "Practice makes perfect").

Old 3rd August 2019, 20:40   #110  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Yes, many things that I do on a daily basis require double clicking. What does that have to do with anything?
Old 25th August 2019, 18:12   #111  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

just a quick question, anyone knows a good TOOL that helps backing up all the windows tweaks and configs i did?
Like Services, reg edits, GPEdit“s, modified DLL“s etc.. Cause its a lot of work getting that all setup again..

if anyone knows such tools, Please do tell..

Best Regards..
BetA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2019, 18:25   #112  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Just image your drive, suggest Macrium Reflect [free edition] for current systems, or maybe Norton Ghost for XP, pre XP.
(can make boot USB from within Macrium Reflect, and make/restore Image from USB)

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th August 2019 at 18:28.
Old 25th August 2019, 19:00   #113  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

ill do backups this way, the Thing is i HAVE to install it fresh, i have some error and need a clean install sadly.
Something broke my Update mechanism and using an (image) backup would reintroduce that error also.. So i have to make a tidy and clean install again, but writing down all the tweaks and stuff would take ages..

i found one tool, that can Backup the Services (https://www.thewindowsclub.com/smart...ta-xp-services), wich is cool, but not enough, since i also did a lot of tweaks and security settings via regEdit, GPEdit and even modified DLL“s (icons, design“s, etc).

Greetz
Old 25th August 2019, 20:01   #114  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Best Group Policy Objects backup might be Windows version dependent, do Google search, also, might find a PowerShell solution.
(there are solutions to backup/restore system drivers via Powershell).

EDIT:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=qdx...4dUDCAo&uact=5

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th August 2019 at 20:09.
Old 25th August 2019, 21:28   #115  |  Link
BetA13
cosmic entity

thank you, this is also Helpfull
Yeah didnt thought of Powershell scripts.. Thanks for the TIP..

Greetings

Edit:

I guess i make a list with the Tools i found so far so People interessted in it dont have to search again...

Tools:

1. S.M.A.R.T - (Service Management And RealEasy Tweaking) Utility for Windows 7 | This Tool can BACKUP the SERVICES Settings for Windows 7.. I dont think that works for Windows 10..
--> https://www.thewindowsclub.com/smart...ta-xp-services

2. Group Policy backup with a PowerShell script
--> https://4sysops.com/archives/group-p...-a-powershell/

The backup script ^ (should work for WIN7 and WIN10)
Quote:
[spoiler]
Code:
function Backup-GroupPolicy {
<#
    .SYNOPSIS
    Backs up all existing Group Policies to a folder

.DESCRIPTION
    Backs up all Group Policies to a folder named after the current date. Each group policy is saved in
    its own sub folder. The folder name will be the name of the Group Policy.

Folder Name Example:
    --------------------
    C:\GPBackup\2018-12-21\Default Domain Policy

.PARAMETER Path
    Specifies the path where the backups will be saved. The path can be a local folder or a network based folder.
    This is a required parameter. Do not end the path with a trailing slash. A slash at the end will cause an error!

Correct format:
    c:\backups or \\server\share

Incorrect Format:
    c:\Backups\ or \\server\share\

.PARAMETER Domain
    Specifies the domain to look for Group Policies. This is auto populated with the domain info from the PC running
    the cmdlet.

.PARAMETER Server
    Specifies the Domain Controller to query for group Policies to backup

.EXAMPLE
    Backup-GroupPolicy -path C:\Backup

Description:
    This example creates a backup of the GPO's and saves them to the c:\backup folder.
    Since no server was specified, the code will search for the nearest Domain Controller.

.EXAMPLE
    Backup-GroupPolicy -path C:\Backup -Domain nwtraders.local -Server DC01

Description:
    This example creates a backup of GPO's in the nwtraders.local domain to the C:\Backup folder.
    The backups will be pulled from the DC named DC01.

.NOTES
    Name       : Backup-GroupPolicy.ps1
    Author     : Mike Kanakos
    Version    : 1.1.0
    DateCreated: 2018-12-19
    DateUpdated: 2019-01-25

.LINK
    https://github.com/compwiz32/PowerShell
#>

[CmdletBinding(SupportsShouldProcess=$true)]
param (
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$True,Position=0)]
    [string]
    $Path,

[Parameter()]
    [string]
    $Domain = (Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem).Domain,

[Parameter()]
    [string]
    $Server
    )

begin {

# Get current GPO information
        $GPOInfo = Get-GPO -All -Domain $domain -Server $Server

#Create a date-based folder to save backup of group policies
        $Date = Get-Date -UFormat "%Y-%m-%d"
        $UpdatedPath = "$path\$date"

New-item $UpdatedPath -ItemType directory | Out-Null

Write-Host "GPO's will be backed up to $UpdatedPath" -backgroundcolor white -foregroundColor red
    } #end of begin block

process {

ForEach ($GPO in $GPOInfo) {

Write-Host "Backing up GPO named: " -foregroundColor Green -nonewline
            Write-Host $GPO.Displayname -foregroundColor White

#Assign temp variables for various parts of GPO data
            $BackupInfo = Backup-GPO -Name $GPO.DisplayName -Domain $Domain -path $UpdatedPath -Server $Server
            $GpoBackupID = $BackupInfo.ID.Guid
            $GpoGuid = $BackupInfo.GPOID.Guid
            $GpoName = $BackupInfo.DisplayName
            $CurrentFolderName = $UpdatedPath + "\" + "{"+ $GpoBackupID + "}"
            $NewFolderName = $UpdatedPath + "\" + $GPOName + "___" + "{"+ $GpoBackupID + "}"
            $ConsoleOutput = $GPOName + "___" + "{"+ $GpoBackupID + "}"

#Rename the newly created GPO backup subfolder from its GPO ID to the GPO Displayname + GUID
            rename-item $CurrentFolderName -newname $NewFolderName

} #End ForEach loop

} #End of process block

end {
    } #End of End block
} #End of function
[/spoiler]

And of course the Powershell script to RESTORE GPEdit again.

--> https://4sysops.com/archives/restore...th-powershell/

Would be nice to find some more helpsfull stuff...

Greetings...

Last edited by BetA13; 26th August 2019 at 00:02.
Old 26th August 2019, 16:31   #116  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Above BetA13 post updated with PowerShell GPO backup script.

Might also have a look at AutoIt forum(maybe see Operating System Deployment):- https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/

AutoIt was initially written for OS deployment type stuff.

Old 29th August 2019, 12:14   #117  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Well recently overcame problem I was having with W7 WSUS Offline Updates failing after the actual install and reboot, and during boot-up configuration of updates [fail, and rollback uninstall again].
Was due to configuration stage wanting to change something on the system partition (the initial one that boots to the OS partition), where there was no system partition, I was using Linux GRUB
via Linux partition Boot record as boot controller. Switching to make W7 partition active, solved all my probs and then switched back to Linux boot controller after updates all done.

W10 x64 2-in-1 tablet/laptop thingy, is now tediously slow running 1903 [not a fast machine to begin with], pretty much inevitable that I'm taking it back to W10 1709 via ISO clean install,
same for my 32 bit 2-in-1, sod the updates, I dont care anymore.

Got me a marvelous device that I wish I'de gotten years ago, (Dynamode USB 3.0 Hard drive Drop in One touch backup):- https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/...ks-Enclosures/
£20.00 including p+p [EDIT: actually £19.95 with VAT, + £4.00 delivery] (I've seen the exact same device on ebay at £49.99).
It feels a bit naff and 'plastic-y', and the supplied power supply and USB leads are way too short (PSU lead about 1.5 meters), and the One Touch backup button is a complete waste of time
(with backup program running hit the physical device One Touch button is same as clicking on the backup dialog box button).
Despite above probs, I love it, accepts 2.5 + 3.5 bare SATA hard drives, just drop them in and press the on-off button [best switch it off before removal].
I got 8 external hard drives in caddies, and about a dozen bare hard drives that I sometimes have to temp switch into a caddy (with screws and to remove, lose, etc), or sometimes
temp attach as internal drives, this drop in thing is way way way easier [there is a 'ToolLess' ie screwless caddy at same link above, was gonna get that until I saw the drop in box].
Anyways, can highly recommend this type of device (might want a more classy/pricey one rather than linked one, plenty on Amazon), saves a lot of time not being on hands and knees
lookin' for that damn screw that got away.
EDIT: You can use any backup software, looks just like an ordinary removable USB device.

EDIT: I'm probably gonna do clean install of dell OEM windows 7 Pro, and as time goes by, is getting more difficult to find required ISO's.
Download Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 ISO Images Direct From Microsoft:- https://www.raymond.cc/blog/links-fo...l-distributer/
See Also "Heidoc Windows and Office ISO Download Tool" at above link,
links to direct download of MS and Dell images (direct from MS and DELL servers) which may not be officially available any more. (works great).

Last edited by StainlessS; 8th November 2019 at 12:18.
Old 30th August 2019, 12:20   #118  |  Link
huhn

for user on win 10 that want to directly DL an win 10 iso from microsoft.

just enter development mode on your browser and pretend to be a mobile device.
microsoft will gladly now give you a direct download to the iso.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2019, 17:38   #119  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanks Huhn, good to know, presumably using W10 Edge browser [rather than firefox, or internet explorer].
Perhaps just using firefox add-on "User Agent Switcher" would work also.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
for user on win 10 that want to directly DL an win 10 iso from microsoft.

just enter development mode on your browser and pretend to be a mobile device.
microsoft will gladly now give you a direct download to the iso.
That dont work any more, gives download link for W10 20H1 [latest available ISO, not necessarily the one you wanted].

Last edited by StainlessS; 25th July 2021 at 16:29.
Old 31st August 2019, 20:09   #120  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Am currently updating an earlier image of W7 with MS updates, and had to again figure out how to put back
"Manage pairs of Web Pages and folder" option which is removed in W7.

Real annoying when they just omit an option that was available in previous issues.

See here for the "webpairs.reg" file which works perfectly on my system:- https://www.winhelponline.com/xp/webpairs.htm

Best use run Regedit.Exe and navigate to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced"
Right click on "Folder" and Export your reg file as it currently exists (give it a name).

The reg file linked above will put back the option, and below saved as eg
"W7_REMOVE_Explorer_Link_HTML&Folders.reg"
will remove the "Thickets" entry added to the registry [removing the option from windows Explorer again],
keep the exported reg file in case of problems to restore as was originally.

W7_REMOVE_Explorer_Link_HTML&Folders.reg [EDIT: The below hyphen '-' in '[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE' is a regedit delete key command for the \Thickets subkey]
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets]
The linked webpairs.reg file adds these subkeys + other data [which above .reg file deletes]

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets\AUTO]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets\NOHIDE]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Thickets\NONE]
Also, nice that I can come back here if I need to do it again.

Last edited by StainlessS; 31st August 2019 at 20:26.