Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th August 2017, 04:37   #44561  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
any tips on how i can improve this 2k down conversion performance ?
I wouldn't bother putting time in wondering if you should upgrade, your graphics card needs upgrading so just do it, a 1GB GPU is laughable if you want to do anything remotely serious with MadVR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 07:43   #44562  |  Link
mparade

Is it possible for madVR to automatically recognize my Full SBS 3D content (3840x1040p, 3840x800p etc.) as 3D in some way? At the moment it recognizes them as 2D whatever settings I use. On the basis of some test results and the improvement of x265, finally I decided to move from frame-packed MPEG4-MVC to Full SBS HEVC format.

If I want to watch one of my 3D file, I have to switch back to Kodi's internal "DVDPlayer". This one can recognize the type of 3D automatically through the correct text used in the file names.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anyway, thank you very much for this great video renderer.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 07:58   #44563  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Only H.264 MVC 3D content is currently supported for automatic 3D playback.

I would be somewhat surprised if any SBS encoding would be more efficient then MVC encoding, considering in MVC you can cleanly encode the differences between the two eyes, while in SBS its one big picture that needs encoding.
On the other hand, perhaps we just don't have decent public MVC encoders available.
Old 8th August 2017, 08:14   #44564  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Only H.264 MVC 3D content is currently supported for automatic 3D playback.

I would be somewhat surprised if any SBS encoding would be more efficient then MVC encoding, considering in MVC you can cleanly encode the differences between the two eyes, while in SBS its one big picture that needs encoding.
On the other hand, perhaps we just don't have decent public MVC encoders available.
On the other hand HEVC itself is a much more efficient coding than H.264 + MVC. I tested main10 profile with a relatively low crf value to aim some kind of "visual transparency". The resulted file sizes at this quality level(regardless of type of content) are much smaller than the "original" 8 bit H.264 + MVC 3D input.
Old 8th August 2017, 08:23   #44565  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Blu-ray streams are generally way too huge and could be encoded much smaller with a good encoder (but why would they, have to fill a disc anyway).
Old 8th August 2017, 08:34   #44566  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Blu-ray streams are generally way too huge and could be encoded much smaller with a good encoder (but why would they, have to fill a disc anyway).
I am playing back from HTPC using madVR, so being efficient and "visually transparent" are some of the most important factors to me. I do not like wasting HDD spaces if it is not a must. Now the problem is they can't be played back correctly using madVR. That's a pity.
Old 8th August 2017, 08:35   #44567  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
I am playing back from HTPC using madVR, so being efficient and "visually transparent" are some of the most important factors to me. I do not like wasting HDD spaces if it is not a must. Now the problem is they can't be played back correctly using madVR. That's a pity.
Isn't it playing properly the most important factor, above saving HDD space?
Old 8th August 2017, 10:27   #44568  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Isn't it playing properly the most important factor, above saving HDD space?
Wouldn't it be very easy to improve madVR to support (recognize and handle the format correctly) Full SBS?
Now, it handles the format as a 2D image...

Last edited by mparade; 8th August 2017 at 10:32.
Old 8th August 2017, 10:38   #44569  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Perhaps, but its not something you or I can control. You only get to control what format your videos are in, and until such a day when madVR changes, H.264 MVC still seems to be favorable in that regard.
Old 8th August 2017, 10:58   #44570  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Perhaps, but its not something you or I can control. You only get to control what format your videos are in, and until such a day when madVR changes, H.264 MVC still seems to be favorable in that regard.
Then the requirement for this "improvement" should be put on the "to do list" of the developer in my opinion. Until the time it is ever involved in madVR, I get madVR to upscale this 2D image to 4K then I will let my 4K TV do the remain work (weary). Much easier would be if madVR simply supported the format...I will not chose H264 + MVC just because of lack of support. It simply isn't worth for me for long-term (for me it is a kind of having water on the brain).

Last edited by mparade; 8th August 2017 at 11:03.
Old 8th August 2017, 15:17   #44571  |  Link
Gee

Has madVR access to the filename? If yes it can read a tag such as "F-SBS" and auto switch to correct 3D mode.. would be nice
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 15:25   #44572  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Has madVR access to the filename? If yes it can read a tag such as "F-SBS" and auto switch to correct 3D mode.. would be nice
That would be very nice. The default player of Kodi is working on the basis of naming conventions. I am using e.g. Croods (2013).3D.SBS.mkv to let DVD Player know the format inside the container. This way the player knows that the content has the resolution of 3840x800p or such and 2 pcs of images placed side-by-side each with the resolution of 1920x800p (or such) and handle accordingly.

Last edited by mparade; 8th August 2017 at 15:29.
Old 8th August 2017, 18:25   #44573  |  Link
Asmodian

I wonder about the future of 3D myself, are any of the new 2017 TVs capable of 3D?
Old 8th August 2017, 19:50   #44574  |  Link
mrmarioman

So, I few things about HDR. And excuse my noob language

I'm using MPC-HC with the latest MadVR. I have a 980Ti, so I'm using Nvidia's HDR API.
I disabled HDR on Windows 10 and FSE mode on madVR. And it works, kinda. The TV detects the HDR signal and switches dinamically from HDR to SDR when opening/closing MPC HC. But the quality of the HDR is underwhelming --it looks better than SDR but not close to what I see when using the TV's own player. I have my PC set 10 bit 4:2:2 and MPC HC as well. Not sure if I'm missing something.

I've also tried Windows 10 HDR, and it looks great, but when going full screen I get a black screen no matter what settings. Also, when turning HDR on on Windows, SDR content looks super washed out. Only HDR content looks good. So it's a bit annoying having to turn on/off HDR on Windows.

Last edited by mrmarioman; 8th August 2017 at 19:55.
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 21:13   #44575  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

I use JRiver with madvr and set their built in video clock which allows for perfect sync without any frame drops or repeats. The only problem is one can only use PCM, so when I want to play any of my Atmos titles I have to go back to bitstream, then the video clock doesnt work... back to repeat/dropped frames...

Does madshi's new video clock work when bitstreaming?

Using JR VideoClock, you can achieve ultra smooth video playback. VideoClock makes minor adjustments to clock frequencies so that video is played in perfect sync with your display's refresh rate.
You can enable VideoClock in Options > Video. VideoClock. Like other audio features, it is not available when bitstreaming audio.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 21:44   #44576  |  Link
Asmodian

madshi's video clock is not an audio feature, so it works with bitstreaming, smooth motion is also compatible.

JR's VideoClock is badly named since it is messing with the audio clock, not the video clock.
Old 8th August 2017, 21:50   #44577  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Thats good to hear that it will work with bitstream.
The JR clock however works perfectly without any dropped or repeated frames for hours. When I turn it off I get a repeated frame every 10/13mins or so...
However when madshi does include it into madvr I will swap to his version as Im sure its better...
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 22:11   #44578  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

JRivers VideoClock does the same thing as ReClock, it adjusts the audio to match the video.

What madshi is working on is nothing like that at all. All it does is create a custom refresh rate to avoid the need for this in the first place - however this isn't anything new, you could do this manually for a long time. He just tries to make it easier and perhaps automate it to some degree in the future.
Old 8th August 2017, 22:20   #44579  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
JRivers VideoClock does the same thing as ReClock, it adjusts the audio to match the video.

What madshi is working on is nothing like that at all. All it does is create a custom refresh rate to avoid the need for this in the first place - however this isn't anything new, you could do this manually for a long time. He just tries to make it easier and perhaps automate it to some degree in the future.
Which would be awesome!
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 22:21   #44580  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

It would be handy for sure, but still its not something magic that solves all the problems - you could just do it yourself today, just takes a bit of work.
Absolutely perfect results depend on your GPU and screen though, but luckily it doesn't need to be perfect, just good enough to hold out for a 2 hour movie or so.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 8th August 2017 at 22:34.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling