Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 22nd September 2017, 01:45   #26461  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
I was looking for a box in which to enter the text. I wasn't expecting a checkbox having to be ticked first. Silly me for thinking that. Oh well.

Thanks.
Sure thing mate. The reason I knew about it is that I've actually used it before, so that's why... Not being an AVS expert, I don't know if there are any limits to the script you can use, but for the basic stuff I do (tweak, etc.) it seems to work okay.
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 19:41   #26462  |  Link
MrVideo

Well, that didn't work. The frame rate is still an incorrect 59.94fps. I'm sorry, but this needs to be fixed. Relying on MediaInfo, which is getting a false positive, is causing BDRB to do things it isn't supposed to. There needs to be an override option to force no VFR.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2017, 22:31   #26463  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Well, that didn't work. The frame rate is still an incorrect 59.94fps. I'm sorry, but this needs to be fixed. Relying on MediaInfo, which is getting a false positive, is causing BDRB to do things it isn't supposed to. There needs to be an override option to force no VFR.
Try setting "IMPORT_VFR_SCAN=1" If set, BD-RB will collect all the timecodes and check for VFR itself. I'll have to check whether it will override MEDIAINFO.

Interestingly, I rarely have ever seen a false positive on VFR.

Last edited by jdobbs; 23rd September 2017 at 22:34.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 00:12   #26464  |  Link
TatanScorp

Import MKV no audio

When I import a MKV file into BDrebuilder it reads "Importing MKV"
then "Collecting audio/video streams from source" After building a pseodo Bd structure Bd rebuilder shows only a vid and subtitle track but no audio. It's a Atmos tract but at least it should show 7.1 tract. How do I get the audio?

Thanks
TatanScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 02:05   #26465  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Try setting "IMPORT_VFR_SCAN=1" If set, BD-RB will collect all the timecodes and check for VFR itself. I'll have to check whether it will override MEDIAINFO.
It still does VFR to CFR, doubling the frame rate.
Quote:
Interestingly, I rarely have ever seen a false positive on VFR.
I have a 100MB test file that I can upload for you to use as a test.

Last edited by MrVideo; 24th September 2017 at 03:45.
Old 24th September 2017, 13:48   #26466  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
It still does VFR to CFR, doubling the frame rate.

I have a 100MB test file that I can upload for you to use as a test.
I'd appreciate it if I can get the file.
Old 24th September 2017, 13:58   #26467  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatanScorp View Post
When I import a MKV file into BDrebuilder it reads "Importing MKV"
then "Collecting audio/video streams from source" After building a pseodo Bd structure Bd rebuilder shows only a vid and subtitle track but no audio. It's a Atmos tract but at least it should show 7.1 tract. How do I get the audio?

Thanks
I don't think I've ever tried importing an Atmos track. But... I believe it isn't a legal audio track for blu-ray unless it is inside a Dolby TrueHD wrapper. I can tell you this -- in the version of the BD standard that I have (a few years old) there isn't a single reference to the term "Atmos". My guess is that TSMUXER rejects it -- but, as I said, I've never actually tried.
Old 24th September 2017, 15:32   #26468  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
But... I believe it isn't a legal audio track for blu-ray unless it is inside a Dolby TrueHD wrapper.
Or Dolby Digital Plus.
Old 24th September 2017, 16:27   #26469  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
The test file is here.
Once you have it, I will delete it. If need be, I can get you one that works.
Got it.
Old 24th September 2017, 16:30   #26470  |  Link
TatanScorp

Quote:
I don't think I've ever tried importing an Atmos track. But... I believe it isn't a legal audio track for blu-ray unless it is inside a Dolby TrueHD wrapper. I can tell you this -- in the version of the BD standard that I have (a few years old) there isn't a single reference to the term "Atmos". My guess is that TSMUXER rejects it -- but, as I said, I've never actually tried.

I don't get it. I'm getting the Atmos tract off of a Blu-ray disk, and yes TSmuxer doesn't recognize the track. Isn't the Atmos just meta data plus the Dolby True HD 7.1? The two Blu-rays I have with Atmos are John Wick and John Wick 2.
TatanScorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 18:27   #26471  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I don't get it. I'm getting the Atmos tract off of a Blu-ray disk, and yes TSmuxer doesn't recognize the track. Isn't the Atmos just meta data plus the Dolby True HD 7.1? The two Blu-rays I have with Atmos are John Wick and John Wick 2.
Kinda', yes, but... there's an independent track contained in it. The problem is that on a Blu-Ray disc it is packaged together with a normal Dolby track (as one stream) so it is treated as an extension to it. When an MKV is created they are separated. Unless they are recombined it is not a legal track. That makes sense since Atmos isn't officially a part of the standard. The same concept applies to other audio types as well. Support for Atmos is optional but not required -- so there has to be a fallback audio stream for players that don't support it.

The bottom line is that the audio track you are trying to mux isn't a legal Blu-Ray audio track -- so, as would be expected, it is rejected.

Last edited by jdobbs; 24th September 2017 at 18:29.
Old 24th September 2017, 19:59   #26472  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
When an MKV is created they are separated. Unless they are recombined it is not a legal track.
I was curious about this, so I went looking for info and found a site that has a boatload of Dolby trailers, several of which have ATMOS.

I used mkvmerge to look at the content of one of them and there was just one video stream and one audio stream (TrueHD Atmos).

It looks like the author of tsmuxer is going to have to update his program to accept TrueHD-Atmos audio streams. Until then BDRB is going to end up without the audio stream because tsmuxer doesn't like it.
Old 24th September 2017, 20:00   #26473  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Got it.
OK, deleted. Let me know if you want a sample where BDRB doesn't think it is VFR.
Old 24th September 2017, 21:37   #26474  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I was curious about this, so I went looking for info and found a site that has a boatload of Dolby trailers, several of which have ATMOS.

I used mkvmerge to look at the content of one of them and there was just one video stream and one audio stream (TrueHD Atmos).

It looks like the author of tsmuxer is going to have to update his program to accept TrueHD-Atmos audio streams. Until then BDRB is going to end up without the audio stream because tsmuxer doesn't like it.
If it is TrueHD-Atmos it will likely accept it. My guess would be the ones that fail would be Atmos only...
Old 24th September 2017, 22:25   #26475  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
OK, deleted. Let me know if you want a sample where BDRB doesn't think it is VFR.
The timecodes indicate VFR since there isn't consistent separation. Here is a short partial look at some display timecodes (in ms):
Code:
Just guessing, it looks like some of the frames have two fields with the same display timecode and others (most) have two fields that are temporally separated. I don't think that's normal. With that said, it also looks like BD-RB is mixing up the field timecodes with frame timecodes, causing the framerate speedup.

[Edit] I just checked a couple other interlaced sources. They only include timecodes for frames (not fields) -- so I guess that's why the issue with framerate doubling hasn't occurred before. When BD-RB scans and determines VFR, it has to then use the minimum separation of timecodes to determine the actual underlying frame rate.

Also, I'm pretty sure the non-temporally separated display timecodes on the fields is also why MEDIAINFO is also reporting the rate as "Variable". I'm going to have to write code for special cases when each field includes a timecode to prevent framerate doubling. But that won't necessarily prevent what we saw here with the determination of VFR caused by consecutive identical timecodes... I'll have to give that some more thought.

Last edited by jdobbs; 25th September 2017 at 00:41.
Old 25th September 2017, 01:44   #26476  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
So far TSMuxer has never accepted an MKV file where the the original TrueHD track has been muxed in with it. As JD said, AFAIK, EVERY time you convert or mux a TrueHD track to MKV it always rips out the AC3 core. It is an easy fix though. All you have to do is use EAC3to or with the GUI like I do, UsEac3to, drop in the MKV file, choose the True track, and select as your output THD+AC3. That way, EAC3to puts the AC3 core back into the file (thus now making it 'legal') and the resulting THD+AC3 file WILL now be accepted by TSMuxer. As far as the Atmos stuff, that I'm not sure about...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 03:05   #26477  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
So far TSMuxer has never accepted an MKV file where the the original TrueHD track has been muxed in with it.
But, the tsmuxer author should release a new version where TrueHD audio is accepted, as it is legal Blu-ray audio.

But that is a topic for the tsmuxer thread.
Old 25th September 2017, 03:42   #26478  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Just guessing, it looks like some of the frames have two fields with the same display timecode and others (most) have two fields that are temporally separated.
Who knows what the hell CBS is doing with their H.264/4:2:2 encoders.

As a test, I captured 100MB of the same transponder stream using the professional Tandberg IRD. That is this file. It has good in the filename, but for some reason BDRB doesn't like it either.

So, I went back and ran one of the previous files I captured with the same IRD, on the same computer, and that file was still liked by BDRB. That file is 230MB and it is here.

I'm curious what you find out about those two files and why one is working. They might give you more clues as to why BDRB is doing what it is doing.

As a test, you might want to force no VFR testing to see how x264 handles those video streams. If x264 deals with them just fine and converts them to H.264/4:2:0 interlaced, without any issues, it might be easier to code in a no-VFR option instead of trying to code around the weird timestamps.
Old 25th September 2017, 13:12   #26479  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
But, the tsmuxer author should release a new version where TrueHD audio is accepted, as it is legal Blu-ray audio.

But that is a topic for the tsmuxer thread.
No. It is not. Support for TrueHD is optional in a player. That's why the core is required to be muxed with TrueHD.
Old 25th September 2017, 15:20   #26480  |  Link
MrVideo

I did some more digging and discovered that when a MKV file is created and a TrueHD audio stream is added to the output, the AC3 core is stripped out. Sounds kinda stupid to me. Now to find out why that is done.

UPDATE: Found out why: https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolni...rueHD-and-AC-3

Last edited by MrVideo; 25th September 2017 at 16:50.